PDA

View Full Version : Lost Cat - Any ideas ?

July 6th 06, 02:59 PM
Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
torture just waiting for something to happen.

Thanks for any advice you can give, Tom D.

Gail
July 6th 06, 04:59 PM
Make posters and post them on trees around the area (with pix of the cat, if
possible). Distribute flyers to local vet offices and neighbors. Put his
used litter around your property. Place a missing ad in your local paper. I
do hope you find him.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
> him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
> was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
> nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
> had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
> problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
> long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
> with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
> neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
> torture just waiting for something to happen.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give, Tom D.

kraut
July 6th 06, 06:41 PM
One more thing you might want to do is to check all the local shelters
and post a poster with it's pic there and give one to the person
there.

>Make posters and post them on trees around the area (with pix of the cat, if
>possible). Distribute flyers to local vet offices and neighbors. Put his
>used litter around your property. Place a missing ad in your local paper. I
>do hope you find him.
>Gail

>> Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
>> him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
>> was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
>> nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
>> had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
>> problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
>> long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
>> with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
>> neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
>> torture just waiting for something to happen.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice you can give, Tom D.

Rhonda
July 6th 06, 08:10 PM
Go from door to door and show them a picture of the cat, and leave your
phone number. That saved my aunt and uncle's cat -- someone heard a
mewing and called them.

Also ask all of your neighbors to open up and check all garages and out
buildings. Cats get locked in buildings all of the time! One on another
group was just found after being locked in a garage for a week.

Contact all shelters you can think of and let them know your cat is missing.

You might also put out some of your clothes that were recently worn so
she has your scent. Maybe sleep in an old t-shirt and leave it outside.

Good luck!

Rhonda

wrote:
> Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
> him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
> was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
> nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
> had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
> problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
> long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
> with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
> neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
> torture just waiting for something to happen.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give, Tom D.

Gail Futoran
July 7th 06, 01:57 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
> him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
> was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
> nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
> had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
> problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
> long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
> with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
> neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
> torture just waiting for something to happen.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give, Tom D.

In addition to the other suggestions, I would
continue walking around the neighborhood
calling the cat's name. I've had several cats
go walkabout and came home days or a week
later after I persisted in walking around and
calling them.

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

July 7th 06, 04:27 AM
> How long have you had the cat?
>
> and he bolted out the door?
>
> maybe he went home
>
> call his old house?

Had him for 7 months now. He's been getting more and more interested in
what's beyond the door lately. Hope he's not trying to go back to his
old home - it's 80 miles away !!

cybercat
July 7th 06, 05:06 AM
> wrote :
>
> Had him for 7 months now. He's been getting more and more interested in
> what's beyond the door lately. Hope he's not trying to go back to his
> old home - it's 80 miles away !!

I really feel for you. I worried over this when I first got my last cat.

Have you always lived in the same place?

I think I would certainly sit outside with his favorite food, if you can
do that.

July 7th 06, 10:51 AM
wrote:
> Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
> him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
> was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
> nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
> had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
> problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
> long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
> with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
> neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
> torture just waiting for something to happen.

What's the climate in your area? Cold or warm? Wet or dry? And what's
the traffic climate? Busy or quiet?

The cat may hide under a car to avoid traffic, or to warm up (in a cold
or wet climate) if the car just parked . One of my cats had been gone
for a whole week and I was giving up on any hope for a safe return.
With a whole bunch of posters hanging around the neighborhood he was
finally found (by another cat owner) hiding under a car, 150 feet from
his original home.

If there's animal-loving kids in your neighbourhood, then you may want
to recruit them in the search. Kids notice lots of stuff, and seem to
discover every single corner of a neighbourhood, but may not register
or report a sighting if they're not aware the cat is missing. Even with
posters hanging around, some kids may consider the posters to be a
message for adults. Ask a bunch of kids playing if they've spotted your
cat and even if they haven't, they're likely to keep an eye out for him
(maybe after having asked you about the level of reward). Ensure the
kids will be able to find you if they spot him but be prepared for
false sightings.

Good luck,

Martin

July 7th 06, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I've already put many of
them into action. So far I've made up flyers and passed them around the
neighborhood, Set out a humane trap with his favorite food as bait,
searched the neighborhood on foot, and a few other things. My real fear
is that someone who liked him just decided to keep him or that he met
with an accident. I'll keep everyone posted and ... Thanks again for
your interest.

Tom D.

Todd
July 7th 06, 07:10 PM
Hi there,

You can post a free listing at www.findthatpet.com. The site is map
based so you can pinpoint the location that your cat was lost.
Certainly, posting around where you live is the most important.

wrote:
> Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
> him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
> was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
> nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
> had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
> problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
> long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
> with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
> neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
> torture just waiting for something to happen.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give, Tom D.

angel
July 8th 06, 01:20 AM
wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I've already put many of
> them into action. So far I've made up flyers and passed them around the
> neighborhood, Set out a humane trap with his favorite food as bait,
> searched the neighborhood on foot, and a few other things.

hope he turns up

you know wether or not he is shy, you may say to yourself, anybody
would love him
and this should give you some comfort

I had a beautiful tabby looking, bob-tailed mixed cat one time
a real sleek male.. he was my best friend

I took him to the country and was going to let him run the fields and
what not
soon as he got out the truck, he took off, I never saw him again, we
was 10 miles from home...

but I knew how bright he was, a real forward individual, I knew he
would
"talk" to anybody, I knew he would soon find a home. I missed him, but
I never once worried if he would eat or find a new home. I knew he
would, he was handsome and smart, he would let someone know when he was
hungry.

Let us know

angela l
July 12th 06, 10:51 PM
I do hope you find your cat. To give you peace of mind, they usually do
find their way home; of all the cats in my life, most of mine did come
home after sneaking out and I had followed the same suggestions already
poster here. I know aht you are sayting about the cat finding new home.
Years ago I had a very attractive, "overly friendly" cat that I believe
was stolen. I kept searching for him a around the neighborhood until I
saw him living at another house which had a fenced-in yard. I took him
out of there in the middle of the night and tried to bring him back
home, but it had been over two weeks; I wish I would have seen him
there sooner. He jumped out of my arms (like he didn't recognize me
anymore) and ran back to that new house, and again after another
attempt with my mother to bring him back. I was a child at the time and
after a failed third attempt (it was on a busy street), my mom got me a
new kitten. I still think about him to this day and how I wish I would
have found him sooner. It seems like it has been less than a week that
your cat is missing. Don't give up!
wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I've already put many of
> them into action. So far I've made up flyers and passed them around the
> neighborhood, Set out a humane trap with his favorite food as bait,
> searched the neighborhood on foot, and a few other things. My real fear
> is that someone who liked him just decided to keep him or that he met
> with an accident. I'll keep everyone posted and ... Thanks again for
> your interest.
>
> Tom D.

angel
July 12th 06, 10:56 PM
angela l wrote:
>Don't give up!

he found the cat already

he told about it in another thread called "i found the cat"

however, you're checks are still welcome here

how much money do you have, is it very much?

Homer J. Fong
August 13th 06, 09:15 AM
On 2006-07-07 12:22:35 -0400, said:

> Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I've already put many of
> them into action. So far I've made up flyers and passed them around the
> neighborhood, Set out a humane trap with his favorite food as bait,
> searched the neighborhood on foot, and a few other things. My real fear
> is that someone who liked him just decided to keep him or that he met
> with an accident. I'll keep everyone posted and ... Thanks again for
> your interest.
>
> Tom D.

One of my cats was missing for 5 WEEKS before she came back, so don't
get discouraged if he doesn't turn up right away.

Also, I once "adopted" cat for 6 weeks before I found out that it was
someone's cat from 6 blocks away. The owner thought he was gone for
good, then one day she was walking her dog in my neighborhood and saw
her cat sitting on my porch. You should go door to door 3 blocks in
every direction just in case someone "adopted" him.

I hope he turns up soon!

HJF