PDA

View Full Version : please help...

Jeremy
July 7th 06, 04:03 AM
my cat "hunter" who is a 1 year old neutered male has been diggin up my plants for a wile now and ive been patientley cleaning it up and trying different methods of trying to stop this but I havent found anything to stop it, ive tried hot pepper spray, ive tried orange peels, ive tried fooey and ive run out of patients with the cat. I have thought about maybe getting driveway rocks and coverening the dirt with them. Has any one else had this problem and have they used rocks or anything else? I dont want to get rid of my plant nor do I want top get rid of my cat. He also likes to get into the bathroom trash and chew on q-tips? why q-tips? since I have got the fooey he hasnt touched the trash but the fooey hasnt affected him with the plant. I just came home to dirt all over my house and its driving me CRAZY!!!! should I get rocks??

Jeremy

July 7th 06, 08:17 AM
Jeremy wrote:
> my cat "hunter" who is a 1 year old neutered male has been diggin up my
> plants for a wile now and ive been patientley cleaning it up and trying
> different methods of trying to stop this but I havent found anything to
> stop it, ive tried hot pepper spray, ive tried orange peels, ive tried
> fooey and ive run out of patients with the cat. I have thought about
> maybe getting driveway rocks and coverening the dirt with them. Has any
> one else had this problem and have they used rocks or anything else? I
> dont want to get rid of my plant nor do I want top get rid of my cat.
> He also likes to get into the bathroom trash and chew on q-tips? why
> q-tips? since I have got the fooey he hasnt touched the trash but the
> fooey hasnt affected him with the plant. I just came home to dirt all
> over my house and its driving me CRAZY!!!! should I get rocks??

Try putting some foil over the dirt in the potted plants. Most cats do
not like foil and will avoid it.

-L.
July 7th 06, 08:27 AM
Jeremy wrote:
> my cat "hunter" who is a 1 year old neutered male has been diggin up my
> plants for a wile now and ive been patientley cleaning it up and trying
> different methods of trying to stop this but I havent found anything to
> stop it, ive tried hot pepper spray, ive tried orange peels, ive tried
> fooey and ive run out of patients with the cat. I have thought about
> maybe getting driveway rocks and coverening the dirt with them. Has any
> one else had this problem and have they used rocks or anything else? I
> dont want to get rid of my plant nor do I want top get rid of my cat.
> He also likes to get into the bathroom trash and chew on q-tips? why
> q-tips? since I have got the fooey he hasnt touched the trash but the
> fooey hasnt affected him with the plant. I just came home to dirt all
> over my house and its driving me CRAZY!!!! should I get rocks??
>
> Jeremy

Cover the top of the plants with tin foil. Make a big dispaly in front
of the cat by ripping the tin foil off the rolls LOUDLY before you do
it.

-L.

Winnifred
July 7th 06, 08:51 PM
what is Fooey? I have this same problem with my cats. I tried balloons
and it didnt work for me but maybe it will work for you. blow up small
balloons about grapefruit size tie with string or other means around or
on area you dont want cat to bother. might pop balloon get scared and
not bother area again. strangely the only plant my cat's dig up is my
indoor tomatoe plant. they avoid my pepper plants ect have no interest.
they dig up my tomatoes outside as well. it drives me nuts!

Winnifred
July 7th 06, 08:52 PM
> Try putting some foil over the dirt in the potted plants. Most cats do
> not like foil and will avoid it.

I will try this. hope it works!

Winnifred
July 8th 06, 02:04 AM
-L. wrote:
> Jeremy wrote:
> > my cat "hunter" who is a 1 year old neutered male has been diggin up my
> > plants for a wile now and ive been patientley cleaning it up and trying
> > different methods of trying to stop this but I havent found anything to
> > stop it, ive tried hot pepper spray, ive tried orange peels, ive tried
> > fooey and ive run out of patients with the cat. I have thought about
> > maybe getting driveway rocks and coverening the dirt with them. Has any
> > one else had this problem and have they used rocks or anything else? I
> > dont want to get rid of my plant nor do I want top get rid of my cat.
> > He also likes to get into the bathroom trash and chew on q-tips? why
> > q-tips? since I have got the fooey he hasnt touched the trash but the
> > fooey hasnt affected him with the plant. I just came home to dirt all
> > over my house and its driving me CRAZY!!!! should I get rocks??
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> Cover the top of the plants with tin foil. Make a big dispaly in front
> of the cat by ripping the tin foil off the rolls LOUDLY before you do
> it.
>
> -L.

I tried the foil and it worked. my tomato plant thanks you. my cats-not
so much.

Jeremy
July 8th 06, 05:19 AM
I am going to try the rocks, fooey is a training aid and it claims to be the most bitter stuff on earth, it also claims no unpleasent odor however when i sprayed it on my plants me and my wife were nearly gagged and had to run out of the house, burning throats, lungs, gross taste in our mouths ext. I figured this would work but it didnt so im going to try the drive way rocks. Quarter inch crushed stone should do the trick. I have done all the wrongs things to try and teach my cat to not go near the plants, now he is afraid of me. How can I get trust back? what a mess, I should of just been happy with a my dog

July 8th 06, 09:53 AM
Jeremy wrote:
> I am going to try the rocks, fooey is a training aid and it claims to be
> the most bitter stuff on earth, it also claims no unpleasent odor
> however when i sprayed it on my plants me and my wife were nearly
> gagged and had to run out of the house, burning throats, lungs, gross
> taste in our mouths ext. I figured this would work but it didnt so im
> going to try the drive way rocks. Quarter inch crushed stone should do
> the trick. I have done all the wrongs things to try and teach my cat to
> not go near the plants, now he is afraid of me. How can I get trust
> back? what a mess, I should of just been happy with a my dog

It depends on what you did and how scared your cat is. Try to spend
quiet time in the same room and give treats and play with him. Anything
you can to earn his trust again.

Jeremy
July 9th 06, 08:07 PM
Well things are looking better, I went down the my local nursery and got some white driveway stones for plants and covered the dirt with about 2-3 inches of stone and he hasnt touched the plant since, ive been spending time with him and things are a lot better, since I got the fooey he hasnt touched the trash can either!! I hope that this will help other people with cats that like to dig inside plants!

Winnifred
July 10th 06, 01:42 AM
Jeremy wrote:
> Well things are looking better, I went down the my local nursery and got
> some white driveway stones for plants and covered the dirt with about
> 2-3 inches of stone and he hasnt touched the plant since, ive been
> spending time with him and things are a lot better, since I got the
> fooey he hasnt touched the trash can either!! I hope that this will
> help other people with cats that like to dig inside plants!
>

> --
> Jeremy

Glad to hear it! also I just found out of another natural non toxic
deterant: a mixture of amonia and water sprayed on the plants.

Jeremy
July 11th 06, 01:03 AM
yeah i really didnt want to get rid of the cat, he play fetch with bottle caps its so awsome! and I even have him trained to put the cap in my hand too, my dog doesnt even play fetch!

cybercat
July 11th 06, 04:27 AM
"Winnifred" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jeremy wrote:
>> Well things are looking better, I went down the my local nursery and got
>> some white driveway stones for plants and covered the dirt with about
>> 2-3 inches of stone and he hasnt touched the plant since, ive been
>> spending time with him and things are a lot better, since I got the
>> fooey he hasnt touched the trash can either!! I hope that this will
>> help other people with cats that like to dig inside plants!
>>

>> --
>> Jeremy
>
> Glad to hear it! also I just found out of another natural non toxic
> deterant: a mixture of amonia and water sprayed on the plants.

Ammonia smells like urine. Cats would want to pee there.