PDA

View Full Version : HOW BIG IS BIG? how to measure? what is normal? etc.?

Popsie's Mom
July 8th 06, 08:34 AM
Popsie was found 2 yrs and 3 mos ago under a dumpster less than 4 wks
of age - eyes matted shut, covered in fleas and red fire-ants, so young
that we had to dropper feed her "cat milk" every 1-2 hrs at first.
However, the tiny munchkin BURST rapidly at the seams and took on mush
at first and then canned cat food and in just a short time "ONE" cat
food. Anyway, she, spayed, now is 15#, and nose to tip of tail OR tip
of front toes to tip of back toes with body and legs stretched out BOTH
measure equally at 36". She can stand on the floor and put her paws up
on a kitchen counter - freaks me out!! If she throws a toy up
anywhere, she just reachs up and bats it down her own self! The vet
here in Miami, FL called her a American Domestic Long hair Bi-Color
Black and White (tuxedo design). She is just a stray, however, she
looks like the photos and descriptions of the Maine Coon cats: slick
hair on head and back and tail on top that lays down, then under the
neck, belly, britches, and under the tail, she has bushy or fluffy
white fur that is progressively thickening and lengthening as she ages.
When she is cold, she puffs out and her face is big and round with a
square jaw or muzzle/ nose, like it is separate from her face. Along
her back her hair is all slick like I said but when she puffs out or if
she spooks, the back ridge stands straight up like porcupine spikes
down her back and down her tail, her entire tail will flair like it got
struck by lightning. When she was a tiny baby, she got loose and a big
hound dog came near her. I snatched her up by the scruff of her neck in
the back and she was so terrified she balled up and poofed out like one
balled up porcupine all the time hissing and clawing and biting
anything in her way (ME!!!). For a while we called her Porky. Never
thought that tiny baby porky would become the gorgeous huge cow of a
cat that she is now! Everyone sees her asks if she is pregnant - NO -
and the vet did not indicate that she was overweight either. She's just
a BIG baby!! OR IS SHE?? WHAT IS BIG? WHAT IS NORMAL? Be glad for
comments, I'm new at this. Thanks, God bless you all.

July 8th 06, 10:50 AM
Popsie's Mom wrote:

> a BIG baby!! OR IS SHE?? WHAT IS BIG? WHAT IS NORMAL? Be glad for
> comments, I'm new at this. Thanks, God bless you all.

She sounds like she is part Maine Coon or Ragdoll. Both breeds easily
get above 15lbs. Some males get over 20 lbs.

Do you have any photos?

As for determining if she os overweight, feel for her ribs. If you can
feel them, then she isn't overweight. You should be able to at least
feel a hint of them. If not, she may be a little on the chubby side.

I have a ragdoll, and he is 19 or 20 lbs now, and he is probably a
pound overweight. He looks great, but I can't feel his ribs. He puts
his front paws up on the counter and looks at what is available. He has
the cutest optimistic look on his face.

I've never actually measured him. He won't hold still very well. He is
rather long. Sometimes, he looks sawy backed since his is so long. And
he is as long and as tall as our smaller sheltie. And defintely more
dense. He weighs more than the smaller one and used to weigh more than
the larger one (she needs a diet, she's a wooly mammoth).

Popsie's Mom
July 8th 06, 11:45 AM
yes, I have photos, where can I post them??? I am totally new to this
wrote:
> Popsie's Mom wrote:
>
> > a BIG baby!! OR IS SHE?? WHAT IS BIG? WHAT IS NORMAL? Be glad for
> > comments, I'm new at this. Thanks, God bless you all.
>
> She sounds like she is part Maine Coon or Ragdoll. Both breeds easily
> get above 15lbs. Some males get over 20 lbs.
>
> Do you have any photos?
>
> As for determining if she os overweight, feel for her ribs. If you can
> feel them, then she isn't overweight. You should be able to at least
> feel a hint of them. If not, she may be a little on the chubby side.
>
> I have a ragdoll, and he is 19 or 20 lbs now, and he is probably a
> pound overweight. He looks great, but I can't feel his ribs. He puts
> his front paws up on the counter and looks at what is available. He has
> the cutest optimistic look on his face.
>
> I've never actually measured him. He won't hold still very well. He is
> rather long. Sometimes, he looks sawy backed since his is so long. And
> he is as long and as tall as our smaller sheltie. And defintely more
> dense. He weighs more than the smaller one and used to weigh more than
> the larger one (she needs a diet, she's a wooly mammoth).

angel
July 8th 06, 11:55 AM
Popsie's Mom wrote:
> yes, I have photos, where can I post them??? I am totally new to this

oh sure

I see you have a gmail address..

there are mad ways to post a picture

here is one that google likes

http://picasa.google.com/web/help.html

you can sign in with your gmail login

Elle
July 8th 06, 02:08 PM
I found this site a year or so ago and think it is helpful,
especially the top views of a cat indicating its weight
condition:
http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20body%20condition.htm

Based on one terribly sad experience with feline diabetes,
where my cat was indeed overweight (though I would not say
obese) for a few years, I am very focused on my cats'
weights these days. I think you're right to check on this,
if you have any suspicions. I now mete out fairly precise
quantities of food to my cats, based on other sites'
guidelines on the calorific content.

"Popsie's Mom" > wrote
> Popsie was found 2 yrs and 3 mos ago under a dumpster less
> than 4 wks
> of age - eyes matted shut, covered in fleas and red
> fire-ants, so young
> that we had to dropper feed her "cat milk" every 1-2 hrs
> at first.
> However, the tiny munchkin BURST rapidly at the seams and
> took on mush
> at first and then canned cat food and in just a short time
> "ONE" cat
> food. Anyway, she, spayed, now is 15#, and nose to tip of
> tail OR tip
> of front toes to tip of back toes with body and legs
> stretched out BOTH
> measure equally at 36". She can stand on the floor and
> put her paws up
> on a kitchen counter - freaks me out!! If she throws a
> toy up
> anywhere, she just reachs up and bats it down her own
> self! The vet
> here in Miami, FL called her a American Domestic Long
> hair Bi-Color
> Black and White (tuxedo design). She is just a stray,
> however, she
> looks like the photos and descriptions of the Maine Coon
> cats: slick
> hair on head and back and tail on top that lays down, then
> under the
> neck, belly, britches, and under the tail, she has bushy
> or fluffy
> white fur that is progressively thickening and lengthening
> as she ages.
> When she is cold, she puffs out and her face is big and
> round with a
> square jaw or muzzle/ nose, like it is separate from her
> face. Along
> her back her hair is all slick like I said but when she
> puffs out or if
> she spooks, the back ridge stands straight up like
> porcupine spikes
> down her back and down her tail, her entire tail will
> flair like it got
> struck by lightning. When she was a tiny baby, she got
> loose and a big
> hound dog came near her. I snatched her up by the scruff
> of her neck in
> the back and she was so terrified she balled up and poofed
> out like one
> balled up porcupine all the time hissing and clawing and
> biting
> anything in her way (ME!!!). For a while we called her
> Porky. Never
> thought that tiny baby porky would become the gorgeous
> huge cow of a
> cat that she is now! Everyone sees her asks if she is
> pregnant - NO -
> and the vet did not indicate that she was overweight
> either. She's just
> a BIG baby!! OR IS SHE?? WHAT IS BIG? WHAT IS NORMAL?
> Be glad for
> comments, I'm new at this. Thanks, God bless you all.

Popsie's Mom
July 9th 06, 02:16 AM
Popsie and I started this yesterday: (photos)
http://glorylandbound.blogspot.com/

and I have an old site :
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/gailisglorylandbound/

wrote:
> Popsie's Mom wrote:
>
> > a BIG baby!! OR IS SHE?? WHAT IS BIG? WHAT IS NORMAL? Be glad for
> > comments, I'm new at this. Thanks, God bless you all.
>
> She sounds like she is part Maine Coon or Ragdoll. Both breeds easily
> get above 15lbs. Some males get over 20 lbs.
>
> Do you have any photos?
>
> As for determining if she os overweight, feel for her ribs. If you can
> feel them, then she isn't overweight. You should be able to at least
> feel a hint of them. If not, she may be a little on the chubby side.
>
> I have a ragdoll, and he is 19 or 20 lbs now, and he is probably a
> pound overweight. He looks great, but I can't feel his ribs. He puts
> his front paws up on the counter and looks at what is available. He has
> the cutest optimistic look on his face.
>
> I've never actually measured him. He won't hold still very well. He is
> rather long. Sometimes, he looks sawy backed since his is so long. And
> he is as long and as tall as our smaller sheltie. And defintely more
> dense. He weighs more than the smaller one and used to weigh more than
> the larger one (she needs a diet, she's a wooly mammoth).

Popsie's Mom
July 9th 06, 10:23 PM
I added more pics of Popsie - I checked out RAGDOLLS, MAINE COONS, and
she's not like the NORWEGIAN FOREST. Of the 3, she behaves like a
ragdoll - lays on her back with all 4's up, completely flops when you
hold her like a baby, sits up like a human, plays fetch like a dog,
follows you everywhere and heels like a dog, guards the door like a
dog, sniffs everything like a dog, a tiny voice most times. Bathtime or
in terror - a pitiful yowl that makes you cry!