PDA

View Full Version : Surgery -- megacolon

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 08:48 AM
Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as
soon as we can find a surgeon.

Our regular vet says it looks like she has an old injury, a broken
pelvis, or a congenital problem that makes her pelvic area much smaller
than it should be.

For whatever reason, things have moved through for the last 11 years but
now she is completely blocked and nothing has helped significantly. She
is no longer even trying to eat.

Anyone had a cat with colon surgery? How about a surgery to increase the
size of the pelvic area?

Scared about this one...

Rhonda

Mike
July 8th 06, 03:29 PM
Hi Rhonda:

I don't have any experience with this kind of surgery but I wanted to wish
you and your cat luck. Have you discussed the risks and complications of
this surgery with your vet? What is he/she saying?

Mike

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as soon
> as we can find a surgeon.

cybercat
July 8th 06, 04:54 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as
> soon as we can find a surgeon.
>
> Our regular vet says it looks like she has an old injury, a broken
> pelvis, or a congenital problem that makes her pelvic area much smaller
> than it should be.
>
> For whatever reason, things have moved through for the last 11 years but
> now she is completely blocked and nothing has helped significantly. She
> is no longer even trying to eat.
>
> Anyone had a cat with colon surgery? How about a surgery to increase the
> size of the pelvic area?
>
> Scared about this one...
>

> Rhonda

Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 05:40 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the luck. She is still spirited but I think she's going to
need some luck.

We haven't had a surgery consult yet -- just talked with our regular vet
(who has left a message to a surgeon.) She's done the surgery only once
with a cat so wants someone more experienced for this one.

Possible complications -- the biggest is infection from opening the
bowel. Another might be that this could happen again even after surgery.

The vet didn't know about surgery to widen the pelvis, so I want to ask
that of the surgeon.

If she doesn't have any surgery, she probably won't make it. We are
trying to keep flushing the toxins out of her system. She is eating just
a tiny bit because she feels so full, but we don't want her to eat a lot
because she is totally blocked.

Thanks for the interest,

Rhonda

Mike wrote:
> Hi Rhonda:
>
> I don't have any experience with this kind of surgery but I wanted to wish
> you and your cat luck. Have you discussed the risks and complications of
> this surgery with your vet? What is he/she saying?
>
> Mike
>

> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as soon
>>as we can find a surgeon.

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 05:42 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
> I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.

Thank you. She is the sweetest and most shy of all our cats. Just breaks
my heart she has to go through this. She was at the vet's all day all
week, then we'd bring her home at night.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes,

Rhonda

Phil P.
July 8th 06, 06:17 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> If she doesn't have any surgery, she probably won't make it. We are
> trying to keep flushing the toxins out of her system. She is eating just
> a tiny bit because she feels so full, but we don't want her to eat a lot
> because she is totally blocked.

Didn't your vet consider lactulose and a low residue diet- or even milk? A
higher dose of lactulose (3-4 ml, b.i.d.) and/or milk should produce very
soft stools bordering on diarrhea- just the effect you want in a constipated
cat. A low residue diet should produce small stools. The combination of
soft, small stools should make defecation possible since the stools will be
soft enough to conform to the opening and squeeze through. Kitten food
might even be better than a low residue diet since its nutrient-dense and
provides more nutrition in a smaller volume and also produces small stools.

Never ever use cisapride in a cat if constipation is caused by an
obstruction.

Gail
July 8th 06, 06:19 PM
Please keep us posted, Rhonda. I pray all goes well for her. There is this
site http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/megacolon.htm and many others on
google about the procedure.
Gail

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for the luck. She is still spirited but I think she's going to need
> some luck.
>
> We haven't had a surgery consult yet -- just talked with our regular vet
> (who has left a message to a surgeon.) She's done the surgery only once
> with a cat so wants someone more experienced for this one.
>
> Possible complications -- the biggest is infection from opening the bowel.
> Another might be that this could happen again even after surgery.
>
> The vet didn't know about surgery to widen the pelvis, so I want to ask
> that of the surgeon.
>
> If she doesn't have any surgery, she probably won't make it. We are trying
> to keep flushing the toxins out of her system. She is eating just a tiny
> bit because she feels so full, but we don't want her to eat a lot because
> she is totally blocked.
>
> Thanks for the interest,
>
> Rhonda
>

> Mike wrote:
>> Hi Rhonda:
>>
>> I don't have any experience with this kind of surgery but I wanted to
>> wish you and your cat luck. Have you discussed the risks and
>> complications of this surgery with your vet? What is he/she saying?
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as
>>>soon as we can find a surgeon.

Gail
July 8th 06, 06:21 PM
Here is another good site, Rhonda
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Kffx6WrrGx4J:www.vetinfo.com/cmegacol.html+megacolon+%2Bsurgery+%2Bcat&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4
Gail

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for the luck. She is still spirited but I think she's going to need
> some luck.
>
> We haven't had a surgery consult yet -- just talked with our regular vet
> (who has left a message to a surgeon.) She's done the surgery only once
> with a cat so wants someone more experienced for this one.
>
> Possible complications -- the biggest is infection from opening the bowel.
> Another might be that this could happen again even after surgery.
>
> The vet didn't know about surgery to widen the pelvis, so I want to ask
> that of the surgeon.
>
> If she doesn't have any surgery, she probably won't make it. We are trying
> to keep flushing the toxins out of her system. She is eating just a tiny
> bit because she feels so full, but we don't want her to eat a lot because
> she is totally blocked.
>
> Thanks for the interest,
>
> Rhonda
>

> Mike wrote:
>> Hi Rhonda:
>>
>> I don't have any experience with this kind of surgery but I wanted to
>> wish you and your cat luck. Have you discussed the risks and
>> complications of this surgery with your vet? What is he/she saying?
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as
>>>soon as we can find a surgeon.

Candace
July 8th 06, 07:24 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
> I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.

Me, too, Rohonda, I will be thinking about her and you. I hope the
surgeon responds quickly.

Candace

Ann
July 8th 06, 07:58 PM
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:42:50 +0000, Rhonda wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this. I have
>> nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.
>
> Thank you. She is the sweetest and most shy of all our cats. Just breaks
> my heart she has to go through this. She was at the vet's all day all
> week, then we'd bring her home at night.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the good wishes,

I suggest locating and looking at the website of the nearest college of
veterinary medicine. They usually have associated small animal hospitals.
It may be too far to take your cat, but imo there is a good chance you
could find someone there who would discuss the case in general and suggest
a closer veterinary surgeon

I've done a quick Google, and it appears that medical treatment of mega
colon does "run out". Otoh, surgery (by an experienced surgeon) is
usually successful. In my experience, family veterinarians do sometimes
hesitate to recommend a surgical option. There is a risk ... and they
probably have heard "You said he'd be ok." too many times. But, you
are the one who knows your cat best and it is your choice to make.

cybercat
July 8th 06, 08:28 PM
"Candace" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
> > I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my
prayers.

> Me, too, Rohonda, I will be thinking about her and you. I hope the
> surgeon responds quickly.

Hi Candace! I like your typo, "Rohonda." It makes our dear Rhonda
sound like an African Princess. :)

Charlie Wilkes
July 8th 06, 10:36 PM
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 07:48:42 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as
>soon as we can find a surgeon.
>
>Our regular vet says it looks like she has an old injury, a broken
>pelvis, or a congenital problem that makes her pelvic area much smaller
>than it should be.
>
>For whatever reason, things have moved through for the last 11 years but
>now she is completely blocked and nothing has helped significantly. She
>is no longer even trying to eat.
>
>Anyone had a cat with colon surgery? How about a surgery to increase the
>size of the pelvic area?
>
>Scared about this one...
>

>Rhonda

I'm sorry to hear about this Rhonda. I don't know anything about
megacolon. You and the cat have my best wishes for a good outcome...
keep us posted.

Charlie

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 11:32 PM
Gail, thanks so much for the sites! They were very helpful. I especially
liked the other surgery site, it answered a lot of questions, but the
pictures were pretty gross. Poor cat, I can't believe that's inside of her.

Thanks again,

Rhonda

Gail wrote:
> Here is another good site, Rhonda
> http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Kffx6WrrGx4J:www.vetinfo.com/cmegacol.html+megacolon+%2Bsurgery+%2Bcat&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4
> Gail
>

> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi Mike,
>>
>>Thanks for the luck. She is still spirited but I think she's going to need
>>some luck.
>>
>>We haven't had a surgery consult yet -- just talked with our regular vet
>>(who has left a message to a surgeon.) She's done the surgery only once
>>with a cat so wants someone more experienced for this one.
>>
>>Possible complications -- the biggest is infection from opening the bowel.
>>Another might be that this could happen again even after surgery.
>>
>>The vet didn't know about surgery to widen the pelvis, so I want to ask
>>that of the surgeon.
>>
>>If she doesn't have any surgery, she probably won't make it. We are trying
>>to keep flushing the toxins out of her system. She is eating just a tiny
>>bit because she feels so full, but we don't want her to eat a lot because
>>she is totally blocked.
>>
>>Thanks for the interest,
>>
>>Rhonda
>>

>>Mike wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Rhonda:
>>>
>>>I don't have any experience with this kind of surgery but I wanted to
>>>wish you and your cat luck. Have you discussed the risks and
>>>complications of this surgery with your vet? What is he/she saying?
>>>
>>>Mike

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 11:34 PM
Candace wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>

>>Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
>>I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.
>

> Me, too, Rohonda, I will be thinking about her and you. I hope the
> surgeon responds quickly.
>
> Candace

Thanks, Candace. I'll let you know what happens. She could use all of
the good thoughts.

Rhonda

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 11:38 PM
Ann wrote:

> I suggest locating and looking at the website of the nearest college of
> veterinary medicine. They usually have associated small animal hospitals.
> It may be too far to take your cat, but imo there is a good chance you
> could find someone there who would discuss the case in general and suggest
> a closer veterinary surgeon

Hi Ann, thanks for the info. We do have a good surgeon fairly close, but
it's the weekend. They left him a message yesterday and we're hoping he
picks it up before Monday.

> I've done a quick Google, and it appears that medical treatment of mega
> colon does "run out". Otoh, surgery (by an experienced surgeon) is
> usually successful. In my experience, family veterinarians do sometimes
> hesitate to recommend a surgical option. There is a risk ... and they
> probably have heard "You said he'd be ok." too many times. But, you
> are the one who knows your cat best and it is your choice to make.

Our vet changed her mind about how to deal with this when she took
another x-ray and saw how narrow the pelvis is. She said she doesn't
think the current stuff will ever pass on it's own. She's been working
on it all week and said she's reduced the biggest clot less than 25%.
She said Friday that she feels surgery is the only thing that will help now.

Thanks for your concern and info,

Rhonda

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 11:40 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Candace" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>cybercat wrote:
>>

>>>Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
>>>I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my
>>
> prayers.
>
>>Me, too, Rohonda, I will be thinking about her and you. I hope the
>>surgeon responds quickly.
>>
> Hi Candace! I like your typo, "Rohonda." It makes our dear Rhonda
> sound like an African Princess. :)

I like that too!

If I ever was an African Princess, it was in another life. I don't think
African Princesses get freckles. :)

Rhonda

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 11:42 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>If she doesn't have any surgery, she probably won't make it. We are
>>trying to keep flushing the toxins out of her system. She is eating just
>>a tiny bit because she feels so full, but we don't want her to eat a lot
>>because she is totally blocked.
>

> Didn't your vet consider lactulose and a low residue diet- or even milk? A
> higher dose of lactulose (3-4 ml, b.i.d.) and/or milk should produce very
> soft stools bordering on diarrhea- just the effect you want in a constipated
> cat. A low residue diet should produce small stools. The combination of
> soft, small stools should make defecation possible since the stools will be
> soft enough to conform to the opening and squeeze through. Kitten food
> might even be better than a low residue diet since its nutrient-dense and
> provides more nutrition in a smaller volume and also produces small stools.
>
> Never ever use cisapride in a cat if constipation is caused by an
> obstruction.

Diet changes should help on new production, I'm sure she'll be on
special diets in the future. The problem right now is the huge clots
that won't soften. Multiple enemas (poor cat) have worn them down a
little bit, but it's been too long and they are still way too big to
come through.

Rhonda

Rhonda
July 8th 06, 11:43 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> I'm sorry to hear about this Rhonda. I don't know anything about
> megacolon. You and the cat have my best wishes for a good outcome...
> keep us posted.
>
> Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. It seems like it's always something new with cats.

Thanks for the good wishes,

Rhonda

Ann
July 9th 06, 12:16 AM
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:38:47 +0000, Rhonda wrote:

> Ann wrote:
>>
>> I suggest locating and looking at the website of the nearest college of
>> veterinary medicine. They usually have associated small animal hospitals.
>> It may be too far to take your cat, but imo there is a good chance you
>> could find someone there who would discuss the case in general and suggest
>> a closer veterinary surgeon
>
> Hi Ann, thanks for the info. We do have a good surgeon fairly close, but
> it's the weekend. They left him a message yesterday and we're hoping he
> picks it up before Monday.
>
>> I've done a quick Google, and it appears that medical treatment of mega
>> colon does "run out". Otoh, surgery (by an experienced surgeon) is
>> usually successful. In my experience, family veterinarians do sometimes
>> hesitate to recommend a surgical option. There is a risk ... and they
>> probably have heard "You said he'd be ok." too many times. But, you
>> are the one who knows your cat best and it is your choice to make.
>
> Our vet changed her mind about how to deal with this when she took
> another x-ray and saw how narrow the pelvis is. She said she doesn't
> think the current stuff will ever pass on it's own. She's been working
> on it all week and said she's reduced the biggest clot less than 25%.
> She said Friday that she feels surgery is the only thing that will help now.
>
> Thanks for your concern and info,
>
> Rhonda

Good, sounds like things are moving forward. I hope things turn out best
for the cat - and - do keep in mind that, like any surgical patient, she
is asleep though all this. The clock really crawls while one is waiting
for the "When can I call to see how she is?" hour.

Elizabeth Blake
July 9th 06, 03:09 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as soon
> as we can find a surgeon.
>
> Our regular vet says it looks like she has an old injury, a broken pelvis,
> or a congenital problem that makes her pelvic area much smaller than it
> should be.
>
> For whatever reason, things have moved through for the last 11 years but
> now she is completely blocked and nothing has helped significantly. She is
> no longer even trying to eat.
>
> Anyone had a cat with colon surgery? How about a surgery to increase the
> size of the pelvic area?
>
> Scared about this one...

Rhonda,

Good luck with your cat. One of my cats at work kept getting blocked last
year. When I took her to a second vet for another opinion, he mentioned the
possibility of surgery. Lickily that vet got her cleaned out well and upped
her medication. The first vet originally told me to give her 1ml of
lactulose a day - that's it. When I pressed him, after getting advice here,
he said I could give it to her twice a day. I also asked about
cisapride/Propulsid and he gave me some of that as well. I then took her to
the second vet, who upped the Lactulose.

That all happened in August & September last year and she hasn't had to go
back to the vet. She wouldn't eat the low residue canned food, so she gets
Wellness & Petguard wet and the prescription Eukanuba low residue dry food.
She gets her Propulsid and lactulose (flavored) twice a day and she's very
good about taking it, at least for me.

She has developed a problem of pooping out of the box (there are 4 boxes at
work) but at least she's going. If it seems like she's struggling or if I
see that she's produced a really large stool, I increase her lactulose by
1ml for her next dose or two. Sometimes that causes very loose stool but at
least I know she's empty then.

--
Liz

Rhonda
July 9th 06, 06:11 AM
Ann wrote:
> Good, sounds like things are moving forward. I hope things turn out best
> for the cat - and - do keep in mind that, like any surgical patient, she
> is asleep though all this. The clock really crawls while one is waiting
> for the "When can I call to see how she is?" hour.

Oh, that's for sure! The waiting is horrible.

Rhonda

Rhonda
July 9th 06, 06:17 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> Good luck with your cat. One of my cats at work kept getting blocked last
> year. When I took her to a second vet for another opinion, he mentioned the
> possibility of surgery. Lickily that vet got her cleaned out well and upped
> her medication. The first vet originally told me to give her 1ml of
> lactulose a day - that's it. When I pressed him, after getting advice here,
> he said I could give it to her twice a day. I also asked about
> cisapride/Propulsid and he gave me some of that as well. I then took her to
> the second vet, who upped the Lactulose.

Hi Liz,

Sweeter is getting .7 ml of lactulose three times a day. I hope that's a
good dose.

How long did it take for her to pass the stuff? Was she eating or
drinking during all of this? Sweeter's spine is sticking out now, she's
getting thin so fast.

Why did the first vet think your cat needed surgery, was it lasting too
long? Mine thinks the passage is too narrow for this to get small enough
before she fades away. I sure wish it would surprise us all and just pop
out.

> That all happened in August & September last year and she hasn't had to go
> back to the vet. She wouldn't eat the low residue canned food, so she gets
> Wellness & Petguard wet and the prescription Eukanuba low residue dry food.
> She gets her Propulsid and lactulose (flavored) twice a day and she's very
> good about taking it, at least for me.
>
> She has developed a problem of pooping out of the box (there are 4 boxes at
> work) but at least she's going. If it seems like she's struggling or if I
> see that she's produced a really large stool, I increase her lactulose by
> 1ml for her next dose or two. Sometimes that causes very loose stool but at
> least I know she's empty then.

All of that is good advice. I know she'll need a different diet and more
litter box monitoring when we on the other side of this.

Thank you,

Rhonda

Phil P.
July 9th 06, 06:36 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message

> Sweeter is getting .7 ml of lactulose three times a day. I hope that's a
> good dose.

..7 ml is useless. Lactulose should be dosed to effect. The usual starting
dose is at least 2-3 ml/b.i.d. to t.i.d. Use only the flavored lactulose
(chicken, tuna, bacon, etc.) otherwise you and her will end up wearing more
than you'll get into her.

What is your vet using for an enema? Never ever use sodium phosphate
retention enemas- such as Fleet- in cats.

Elizabeth Blake
July 9th 06, 07:02 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message

> Sweeter is getting .7 ml of lactulose three times a day. I hope that's a
> good dose.

The original vet had Harriet on 1 ml once a day, then twice a day and
finally said I could give her 2ml twice a day. It did nothing. The second
vet doubled that to 4ml twice a day, and after her intital treatments it's
been cut back to 3ml twice a day, which she gets every day. When I see
she's struggling I go back to 4ml for a couple of doses. As Phil said, .7
is pretty much useless. Find a pharmacy that has the FlavoRx system. It
was nearly impossible getting the unflavored Lactulose into Harriet but she
doesn't struggle at all with the flavored stuff. I usually get chicken or
bacon. One time they accidentally gave me something fruity (maybe did
cherry instead of chicken) but she didn't seem to mind.

> How long did it take for her to pass the stuff? Was she eating or drinking
> during all of this? Sweeter's spine is sticking out now, she's getting
> thin so fast.

With the original vet, they'd give her an enema and she would immediately
get backed up again. The second vet gave her a different enema that really
cleaned her out, and the medication has kept things moving ever since then
(that was September 2005). I don't know what the first vet was using, but
it did nothing. The second vet also gave me several enemas to use on her if
she got blocked again, so I wouldn't have to waste time & money bringing her
back in. I have not had to use those enemas, fortunately. She went for
about a month between seeing the first vet (something like 5 times) and the
second. She was still drinking and eating when she was backed up. She did
lose weight, and has put some back on since then.

> Why did the first vet think your cat needed surgery, was it lasting too
> long? Mine thinks the passage is too narrow for this to get small enough
> before she fades away. I sure wish it would surprise us all and just pop
> out.

Yes, because she kept getting backed up. If the idiots had been more
aggressive with medicating her she wouldn't have had to go back there every
week to get cleaned out with their useless enemas. Harriet had x-rays taken
and her anatomy looked fine, so it wasn't an old injury or anything causing
her to get blocked.

>> That all happened in August & September last year and she hasn't had to
>> gets Wellness & Petguard wet and the prescription Eukanuba low residue
>> dry food. She gets her Propulsid and lactulose (flavored) twice a day and
>> she's very good about taking it, at least for me.
> >
>> She has developed a problem of pooping out of the box (there are 4 boxes
>> at work) but at least she's going. If it seems like she's struggling or
>> if I see that she's produced a really large stool, I increase her
>> lactulose by 1ml for her next dose or two. Sometimes that causes very
>> loose stool but at least I know she's empty then.
>
> All of that is good advice. I know she'll need a different diet and more
> litter box monitoring when we on the other side of this.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rhonda

I give Harriet more canned food than dry. She's always been a picky eater
and liked to eat very slowly throughout the day. If I see that she's
leaving the wet food for too long I take it away. We have another cat at
work who will gladly eat Harriet's leftovers, so I don't always know how
much Harriet ate and how much Stinky ate. Harriet also likes to steal
Stinky's food (Science Diet Light, canned & dry) and sometimes I'll let her
have the wet, since she really doesn't eat a whole lot.

--
Liz

Rhonda
July 9th 06, 07:50 AM
Elizabeth,

Thanks for the info. How much does Harriet weigh? Sweeter's a pretty
small cat.

There is a pharmacy in the area that compounds for animals, so I could
do that on Monday. If I double her dose now, we may run out before
Monday, heck.

I just called an emergency clinic and they won't even talk about dosages
unless I bring her in.

Thanks for all your help,

Rhonda

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> [...]
>>>lactulose by 1ml for her next dose or two. Sometimes that causes very
>>>loose stool but at least I know she's empty then.
>>
>>All of that is good advice. I know she'll need a different diet and more
>>litter box monitoring when we on the other side of this.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>Rhonda
>

> I give Harriet more canned food than dry. She's always been a picky eater
> and liked to eat very slowly throughout the day. If I see that she's
> leaving the wet food for too long I take it away. We have another cat at
> work who will gladly eat Harriet's leftovers, so I don't always know how
> much Harriet ate and how much Stinky ate. Harriet also likes to steal
> Stinky's food (Science Diet Light, canned & dry) and sometimes I'll let her
> have the wet, since she really doesn't eat a whole lot.

Rhonda
July 9th 06, 07:54 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Sweeter is getting .7 ml of lactulose three times a day. I hope that's a
>> good dose.
>

> .7 ml is useless. Lactulose should be dosed to effect. The usual starting
> dose is at least 2-3 ml/b.i.d. to t.i.d. Use only the flavored lactulose
> (chicken, tuna, bacon, etc.) otherwise you and her will end up wearing more
> than you'll get into her.

So far, I'm not having trouble getting it all into her. It would be nice
if I didn't have to pry her mouth open and she would think it's a treat.
Can't do that until Monday though.

> What is your vet using for an enema? Never ever use sodium phosphate
> retention enemas- such as Fleet- in cats.

I don't know what kind of enemas they used.

Rhonda

Phil P.
July 9th 06, 11:11 AM
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message

> Good luck with your cat. One of my cats at work kept getting blocked last
> year. When I took her to a second vet for another opinion, he mentioned
the
> possibility of surgery. Lickily that vet got her cleaned out well and
upped
> her medication. The first vet originally told me to give her 1ml of
> lactulose a day - that's it. When I pressed him, after getting advice
here,
> he said I could give it to her twice a day. I also asked about
> cisapride/Propulsid and he gave me some of that as well. I then took her
> the second vet, who upped the Lactulose.
>
> That all happened in August & September last year and she hasn't had to go
> back to the vet.

That's great news. I was wondering how she was doing. I'm glad you found a
better vet who got the lactulose dose just right- otherwise, Harriet was
heading for a subtotal colectomy.

Phil

Phil P.
July 9th 06, 11:11 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Phil P. wrote:
> > "Rhonda" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Sweeter is getting .7 ml of lactulose three times a day. I hope that's a
> >> good dose.
> >

> > .7 ml is useless. Lactulose should be dosed to effect. The usual
starting
> > dose is at least 2-3 ml/b.i.d. to t.i.d. Use only the flavored
lactulose
> > (chicken, tuna, bacon, etc.) otherwise you and her will end up wearing
more
> > than you'll get into her.
>
> So far, I'm not having trouble getting it all into her. It would be nice
> if I didn't have to pry her mouth open

You don't have to pry her mouth open. You can give her the lactulose
between the buccal wall and her teeth or through the diastema- the little
gap between the canines and premolars.

http://www.maxshouse.com/anatomy/mandible__right__medial_view.jpg

Elizabeth Blake
July 9th 06, 05:40 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Elizabeth,
>
> Thanks for the info. How much does Harriet weigh? Sweeter's a pretty small
> cat.

Last year her weight dropped to around 9 pounds, she looked very bad. Now
she's around 10, I think, a good weight for her. In her past, when there
were certain other people at work feeding her non-stop, she was huge. I'll
have to weigh her next week because I really can't remember how much she
weighed from the last vet visit.

> There is a pharmacy in the area that compounds for animals, so I could do
> that on Monday. If I double her dose now, we may run out before Monday,
> heck.

Have your vet call the prescription in to the pharmacy with refills. If the
medication works, she could be on it for life. My vet originally wrote for
a 4 oz. bottle but the pharmacist offered to give me a bigger size and I've
been getting that ever since. I have to get the Propulsid from the vet
($1/pill) and I keep meaning to find someplace cheaper, even if it's online.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
July 9th 06, 05:44 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> That's great news. I was wondering how she was doing. I'm glad you found
> better vet who got the lactulose dose just right- otherwise, Harriet was
> heading for a subtotal colectomy.
>
> Phil

We really like the cats-only vet. Harriet seems so much happier now and
she's calmed down a lot, although there have a couple of stray biting
incidents lately. Two were employees and one customer. With one employee,
it was because she was ignoring Harriet (she hates that!) and the other was
actually my cat sitter, who's coming back to work for us at another
location. I think Harriet saw him and figured he was there to medicate her.
He then won her over by bringing in a container of Cat Crack (freeze dried
chicken, which she & Stinky haven't had in months).
--
Liz

Rhonda
July 9th 06, 07:13 PM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Elizabeth,
>>
>>Thanks for the info. How much does Harriet weigh? Sweeter's a pretty small
>>cat.
>

> Last year her weight dropped to around 9 pounds, she looked very bad. Now
> she's around 10, I think, a good weight for her. In her past, when there
> were certain other people at work feeding her non-stop, she was huge. I'll
> have to weigh her next week because I really can't remember how much she
> weighed from the last vet visit.

I just wondered about her weight in proportion to the lactulose dose.

Our wonderful vet just called us at home to check on Sweeter and we
asked about it. I had already increased the dose but she agreed that
there is definitely no harm in higher doses -- it's a sugar.

Rhonda

Elizabeth Blake
July 10th 06, 01:06 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Elizabeth Blake wrote:
>> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Elizabeth,
>>>
>>>Thanks for the info. How much does Harriet weigh? Sweeter's a pretty
>>>small cat.
>>

>> Last year her weight dropped to around 9 pounds, she looked very bad.
>> Now she's around 10, I think, a good weight for her. In her past, when
>> there were certain other people at work feeding her non-stop, she was
>> huge. I'll have to weigh her next week because I really can't remember
>> how much she weighed from the last vet visit.
>
> I just wondered about her weight in proportion to the lactulose dose.
>
> Our wonderful vet just called us at home to check on Sweeter and we asked
> about it. I had already increased the dose but she agreed that there is
> definitely no harm in higher doses -- it's a sugar.
>
> Rhonda

That's so great your vet called you to check on her. When Harriet first
went to the second vet he said that 4ml was the best starting dose. He
didn't mention anything about her weight. After she began having diarrhea
on 4ml, it was cut back to 3ml, twice a day. She's been pooping on the
floor a lot lately so I think I'm going to up it a little, 3.25-3.5 ml and
see how she reacts to that. I never worry if it ends up giving her runny
stool because as soon as I cut the dose back again that clears up. Luckily,
when she does get diarrhea, she usually makes it to the box for that. It
has happened on the floor a couple of times and it's not fun to clean up.

Good luck getting a bigger dose of the unflavored stuff into Sweeter.
Harriet's fur ended up matted with the stuff before I got it flavored. I
had to cut out big chunks of fur.

--
Liz