PDA

View Full Version : Ring Worm HELP!

Zoey
July 9th 06, 12:15 AM
This is the 3rd time in the past 3 years I have gotten ring worm and I cant
imagine where from.
I have 2 indoor cats but have taken them to the vet and the vet said it would
be noticeable if they had it because they would have patches of hair missing
which from what I can tell they do not.

Is it possible to get ring worm from cleaning the litter box? Im noticing
that its in the same spot my arms may rub up against the rim of the litter
box....

Can I pass this along to my cats?

Can my family catch it from sleeping in the same bed with me? Sitting in the
same chair as me?

JJ
July 9th 06, 01:24 AM
Zoey wrote:
> This is the 3rd time in the past 3 years I have gotten ring worm and I cant
> imagine where from.
> I have 2 indoor cats but have taken them to the vet and the vet said it would
> be noticeable if they had it because they would have patches of hair missing
> which from what I can tell they do not.
>
> Is it possible to get ring worm from cleaning the litter box? Im noticing
> that its in the same spot my arms may rub up against the rim of the litter
> box....
>
> Can I pass this along to my cats?
>
> Can my family catch it from sleeping in the same bed with me? Sitting in the
> same chair as me?

Doubt your cats are the culprits - it is DEFINITLY NOT the litter
box....Add acidopholus (sp?) to your diet, dehumidify your home, and if
you frequent a gym or a workout place - that is probably the culprit -
maybe put a little bleach in your washing machine when you do your
laundry.

If you are the only one that is consistently breaking out with it -
then perhaps you need to see a doctor about possibly doing some
dietary things to make your skin a less optimal place for yeast growth,
cut down on sweets-yeast loves sweets....Good luck.

John Ross Mc Master
July 9th 06, 02:34 AM
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:15:23 GMT, "Zoey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is the 3rd time in the past 3 years I have gotten ring worm and I cant
>imagine where from.
>I have 2 indoor cats but have taken them to the vet and the vet said it would
>be noticeable if they had it because they would have patches of hair missing
>which from what I can tell they do not.
>
>Is it possible to get ring worm from cleaning the litter box? Im noticing
>that its in the same spot my arms may rub up against the rim of the litter
>box....
>
>Can I pass this along to my cats?
>
>Can my family catch it from sleeping in the same bed with me? Sitting in the
>same chair as me?

The cats may be acrriers, or your family could, or it could just be in
the environment.

Increase your immunity. Get healthier, eat better.

My vet recommended off the record that I take 3-4 drops of Oil Of
Oregano each day. It worked for me.

brandy via CatKB.com
July 9th 06, 06:38 AM
My diet sucks so it sounds like thats probably the problem...Can my cats
catch it from me? Can I pass it along to my family from bed sheets? How would
that effect a diabetic cat?

JJ wrote:
>> This is the 3rd time in the past 3 years I have gotten ring worm and I cant
>> imagine where from.
>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>> Can my family catch it from sleeping in the same bed with me? Sitting in the
>> same chair as me?
>
>Doubt your cats are the culprits - it is DEFINITLY NOT the litter
>box....Add acidopholus (sp?) to your diet, dehumidify your home, and if
>you frequent a gym or a workout place - that is probably the culprit -
>maybe put a little bleach in your washing machine when you do your
>laundry.
>
>If you are the only one that is consistently breaking out with it -
>then perhaps you need to see a doctor about possibly doing some
>dietary things to make your skin a less optimal place for yeast growth,
>cut down on sweets-yeast loves sweets....Good luck.

-L.
July 9th 06, 09:54 AM
Zoey wrote:
> This is the 3rd time in the past 3 years I have gotten ring worm and I cant
> imagine where from.
> I have 2 indoor cats but have taken them to the vet and the vet said it would
> be noticeable if they had it because they would have patches of hair missing
> which from what I can tell they do not.

They don't always lose hair. There are a few different types of
ringworm.

> Is it possible to get ring worm from cleaning the litter box? Im noticing
> that its in the same spot my arms may rub up against the rim of the litter
> box....

yes.

> Can I pass this along to my cats?

yes.

> Can my family catch it from sleeping in the same bed with me? Sitting in the
> same chair as me?

yes.

You can get it from soil outside or from the air. Ringworm is very
easy to catch for people who are susceptible to it.

Put your cats on Program chewable for ringworm (Google it in this
newsgroup) and get yourself treated. The dose for ringworm is 44
mg/lb (IIRC that's using the big dog size chewable tabs) and the
regular dose is much lower - it will be on the package. The cats will
need two mega doses a month apart and then a regular monthy dose to
keep the ringworm away. When feeding Program, feed it with food - a
bit of tuna or whatever they will eat well. The fat helps absorption.

-L.

Rhonda
July 9th 06, 04:29 PM
Hi Brandy, are you certain it is ringworm again?

I caught ringworm once after helping out on a rural Humane Society
project. I touched goats and helped catch an old horse so who knows
where I got it.

The spot tested positive under a microscope for ringworm and would not
go away. I treated it for months and it would get better than worse
again. I finally went to a dermatologist who told me the ringworm was
gone but I had now developed a skin condition - seborrhea (sp.) or one
of those things, and he gave me a different medication and it
disappeared. I was treating the wrong thing. I think the original
ringworm made my skin more susceptible to whatever that was.

If it is still ringworm, I agree with the advice to add at least a
little bleach to everything you wash. Bleach is your friend... and don't
share towels.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Zoey wrote:
> This is the 3rd time in the past 3 years I have gotten ring worm and I cant
> imagine where from.
> I have 2 indoor cats but have taken them to the vet and the vet said it would
> be noticeable if they had it because they would have patches of hair missing
> which from what I can tell they do not.
>
> Is it possible to get ring worm from cleaning the litter box? Im noticing
> that its in the same spot my arms may rub up against the rim of the litter
> box....
>
> Can I pass this along to my cats?
>
> Can my family catch it from sleeping in the same bed with me? Sitting in the
> same chair as me?

Popsie's Mom
July 9th 06, 08:35 PM
When a cat has a ring worm in the breast areas (don't know cat terms,
sorry) would she sit up like a human and lean forward and constantly
lick that area bald and chew it until little sores appear? Popsie has
done that since we first got her. Once we were told it was ringworm.
We thought it was fleas. After we used Advantage, the fleas died and
her hair grew back. Now, she's at it again. We rescued her when she
was 2-4 wks old, covered in fleas and fire-ants. Now, she is 2yrs,
15#, 36". But, just this one thing. The vet took a scraping and
tomorrow I will learn the results of it. I'm really curious.