PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Cat-Retaining Water?


Winnifred
July 9th 06, 03:27 AM
I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
today so that gave me the idea. my other two cats are lean and normal
size.

cybercat
July 9th 06, 04:06 AM
"Winnifred" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
> water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
> give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
> why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
> today so that gave me the idea. my other two cats are lean and normal
> size.
>

No, drinking a lot actually helps you lose water, not retain it.

Get your cat off of dry food. Feed him canned food twice a day
twelve hours apart. Begin with a large can (5.5 oz) twice a day.
If he does not lose, cut it by one quarter. (Split one and one half
5.5 oz cans of food a day.) He will lose then. If he plateaus, cut
it by one-quarter again.

Check with your vet first--but this is what my vet told me to do
and my kitty went from 18 lbs to 8 lbs. I think it saved her life.
Also, she has more energy now and a prettier coat. However,
she is very assertive, and I think she was plotting to kill me there
for a while, during the first months of her diet. ;)

cybercat
July 9th 06, 04:07 AM
"Winnifred" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
> water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
> give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
> why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
> today so that gave me the idea. my other two cats are lean and normal
> size.
>

Winnie--this cannot be stressed enough--water is very, very good for
your cats. Water is not the problem. Not enough water can kill them.

MaryL
July 9th 06, 04:55 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Winnifred" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
>> water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
>> give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
>> why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
>> today so that gave me the idea. my other two cats are lean and normal
>> size.
>>
>
> No, drinking a lot actually helps you lose water, not retain it.
>
> Get your cat off of dry food. Feed him canned food twice a day
> twelve hours apart. Begin with a large can (5.5 oz) twice a day.
> If he does not lose, cut it by one quarter. (Split one and one half
> 5.5 oz cans of food a day.) He will lose then. If he plateaus, cut
> it by one-quarter again.
>
> Check with your vet first--but this is what my vet told me to do
> and my kitty went from 18 lbs to 8 lbs. I think it saved her life.
> Also, she has more energy now and a prettier coat. However,
> she is very assertive, and I think she was plotting to kill me there
> for a while, during the first months of her diet. ;)
>
>

Good advice, but be sure to have a medical checkup first (just as cybercat
recommended). In particular, ask about the possibility of medical problems
such as diabetes, kidney disease, or thryoid problems. In general, we try
to get our cats to drink *more* water (which is only one of the benefits of
a canned food diet), but your statement about your cat drinking an "awful
lot" of water should lead to a medical evaluation first.

MaryL

RobZip
July 9th 06, 06:09 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
news:_6%[email protected]
> Good advice, but be sure to have a medical checkup first (just as cybercat
> recommended). In particular, ask about the possibility of medical
> problems such as diabetes, kidney disease, or thryoid problems. In
> general, we try to get our cats to drink *more* water (which is only one
> of the benefits of a canned food diet), but your statement about your cat
> drinking an "awful lot" of water should lead to a medical evaluation
> first.
>
> MaryL

The symptom of excessive thirst is a classic diabetes calling card. Coupled
with the excess weight, it would seem a rather urgent indicator.

MaryL
July 9th 06, 06:52 PM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
. ..
>
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:_6%[email protected]
>> Good advice, but be sure to have a medical checkup first (just as
>> cybercat recommended). In particular, ask about the possibility of
>> medical problems such as diabetes, kidney disease, or thryoid problems.
>> In general, we try to get our cats to drink *more* water (which is only
>> one of the benefits of a canned food diet), but your statement about your
>> cat drinking an "awful lot" of water should lead to a medical evaluation
>> first.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> The symptom of excessive thirst is a classic diabetes calling card.
> Coupled with the excess weight, it would seem a rather urgent indicator.
>

As a diabetic myself, I absolutely agree!

MaryL

July 11th 06, 07:55 AM
Please put your cat on diet food!!! The problem with cutting the
portions of your cat's normal food is that it is not formulated to be
meeting specific nutrition needs for less than the recommended
portions. Yes of course just not giving them enough food will make them
skinny but it will also be starving them. Your kitty need a high
quality prescription diet food such as Hill's Science Diet r/d or m/d
that you can get from your vet. These are formulated to help you kitty
shed the unecessary and harmful extra weight.

Also, I agree with the previous posts, get your kitty to the vet and
run some bloodwork because excessive thirst is a first warning sign of
diabetes or thyroid problems. Remember, a couple of extra pounds on you
kitty is like a couple extra 100 pounds for you.

Good luck with your cat!!

-L.
July 11th 06, 09:51 AM
Winnifred wrote:
> I just had a thought that maybe the reason my cat is overweight is
> water retention. anyone have any knowledge of this? is it possible to
> give a cat water pills(from the vet of course). I just don't understand
> why my cat is so big. I did notice him drinking an awful lot of water
> today

He may be diabetic as thirst is a sign of diabetes. Drinking water is
not the problem. If he is otherwise healthy, your cat needs to be on a
high-protein, lower-carb canned diet to help shed the pounds.

-L.

MaryL
July 11th 06, 11:04 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Please put your cat on diet food!!! The problem with cutting the
> portions of your cat's normal food is that it is not formulated to be
> meeting specific nutrition needs for less than the recommended
> portions. Yes of course just not giving them enough food will make them
> skinny but it will also be starving them. Your kitty need a high
> quality prescription diet food such as Hill's Science Diet r/d or m/d
> that you can get from your vet. These are formulated to help you kitty
> shed the unecessary and harmful extra weight.
>
> Also, I agree with the previous posts, get your kitty to the vet and
> run some bloodwork because excessive thirst is a first warning sign of
> diabetes or thyroid problems. Remember, a couple of extra pounds on you
> kitty is like a couple extra 100 pounds for you.
>
> Good luck with your cat!!
>

I'm not sure who your message was intended for (possibly Winnifred?), but it
wasn't me. Even the OP did not mention cutting portions. That message
talked about the possibility of water retention, and my messages related to
the need for medical evaluation and the possibility of medical issues such
as diabetes. My post was actually a reply to another message, but you have
deleted my message and linked your reply to mine (so that it appears that
you are responding to something I said). Oddly, you did quote someone
else's message. Unless there is something wrong with my server, you somehow
cited someone else but posted as a reply to me (not a big problem, but I
wanted to clarify in case someone else would pick up on it and start to
"quote" me).

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Wendy
July 13th 06, 12:13 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Please put your cat on diet food!!! The problem with cutting the
> portions of your cat's normal food is that it is not formulated to be
> meeting specific nutrition needs for less than the recommended
> portions. Yes of course just not giving them enough food will make them
> skinny but it will also be starving them. Your kitty need a high
> quality prescription diet food such as Hill's Science Diet r/d or m/d
> that you can get from your vet. These are formulated to help you kitty
> shed the unecessary and harmful extra weight.
>
> Also, I agree with the previous posts, get your kitty to the vet and
> run some bloodwork because excessive thirst is a first warning sign of
> diabetes or thyroid problems. Remember, a couple of extra pounds on you
> kitty is like a couple extra 100 pounds for you.
>
> Good luck with your cat!!
>

I have yet to have a cat lose weight on diet food and have had success with
portion control and feeding wet food. If one follows the package
recommendation in many cases the cat is greatly overfed. Like my vet said,
the food manufacturers are trying to sell food. The more the cat eats the
more food you buy.

W

cybercat
July 13th 06, 05:45 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Please put your cat on diet food!!! The problem with cutting the
> > portions of your cat's normal food is that it is not formulated to be
> > meeting specific nutrition needs for less than the recommended
> > portions. Yes of course just not giving them enough food will make them
> > skinny but it will also be starving them. Your kitty need a high
> > quality prescription diet food such as Hill's Science Diet r/d or m/d
> > that you can get from your vet. These are formulated to help you kitty
> > shed the unecessary and harmful extra weight.
> >
> > Also, I agree with the previous posts, get your kitty to the vet and
> > run some bloodwork because excessive thirst is a first warning sign of
> > diabetes or thyroid problems. Remember, a couple of extra pounds on you
> > kitty is like a couple extra 100 pounds for you.
> >
> > Good luck with your cat!!
> >
>
> I have yet to have a cat lose weight on diet food and have had success
with
> portion control and feeding wet food. If one follows the package
> recommendation in many cases the cat is greatly overfed. Like my vet said,
> the food manufacturers are trying to sell food. The more the cat eats the
> more food you buy.
>

My cat got obese on Iams diet cat food. When my vet recommended
that I feed her quality canned food in controlled portions at twelve-hour
intervals, reducing the amount by 1/4 when she stopped losing weight,
she went from 18 pound to her healthy weight of 8 pounds in about a year.