PDA

View Full Version : 6 kittens update - 11 months

Calvin Rice
July 9th 06, 04:53 AM
This is about the six kittens that were born last August 7
after I agreed to take responsibility for them, to save
them and the mother from a late-term abortion.

To recap, because it has been so long since the last update:

The mother, a near-feral pregnant cat when I borrowed her,
was returned to her 'owners' two months after the kittens
were born. She had been spayed and given other medical
treatment, was litterbox trained, tamed (at least with me),
dewormed and treated for fleas. The kittens were weaned
before she was spayed, and she recuperated for a week after
spaying before being returned.

The kittens were spayed/neutered in early January at age 5
months.

A few days later a kitten was almost run over, and I had
to face the fact that they were more vulnerable to traffic
than single cats, because they traveled in groups. Also
it was becoming obvious that it was wrong for me to
inflict six more cats on the neighbors. Up until that
time I had been allowing the kittens long periods of
time outdoors.

The solution was to keep them in the house until I could
get a fence built around the back yard that would keep
cats confined to the yard. People said it couldn't be
done, but such a fence was planned, and after a three-month
struggle with the incompetent and lying people at our
local Lowe's, the fence was finally installed, and I added
a cat-proof topping.

April 12 was the great day when the kittens, then age
8 months, were given the downstairs and backyard for their
new home, and the once-stray cat that had been confined
downstairs had his home expanded accordingly.

Now we have two separate domains, with my original three
cats upstairs, indoors and outdoors, and the other seven
downstairs and in the backyard. It was the only solution
that I could think of that covered all of our problems, and
so far it has worked beautifully. Keeping the six growing
kittens in the house from January to April was a trying
experience, but now we have peace, at least until the next
unforseen crisis comes along. The backyard has trees and
bushes and pinestraw, and a lot of space for running and
chasing things.

This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
six young ones individually, and a picture of the
cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
shots.

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

Gail
July 9th 06, 05:39 AM
Wonderful!!
Gail
"Calvin Rice" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is about the six kittens that were born last August 7
> after I agreed to take responsibility for them, to save
> them and the mother from a late-term abortion.
>
> To recap, because it has been so long since the last update:
>
> The mother, a near-feral pregnant cat when I borrowed her,
> was returned to her 'owners' two months after the kittens
> were born. She had been spayed and given other medical
> treatment, was litterbox trained, tamed (at least with me),
> dewormed and treated for fleas. The kittens were weaned
> before she was spayed, and she recuperated for a week after
> spaying before being returned.
>
> The kittens were spayed/neutered in early January at age 5
> months.
>
> A few days later a kitten was almost run over, and I had
> to face the fact that they were more vulnerable to traffic
> than single cats, because they traveled in groups. Also
> it was becoming obvious that it was wrong for me to
> inflict six more cats on the neighbors. Up until that
> time I had been allowing the kittens long periods of
> time outdoors.
>
> The solution was to keep them in the house until I could
> get a fence built around the back yard that would keep
> cats confined to the yard. People said it couldn't be
> done, but such a fence was planned, and after a three-month
> struggle with the incompetent and lying people at our
> local Lowe's, the fence was finally installed, and I added
> a cat-proof topping.
>
> April 12 was the great day when the kittens, then age
> 8 months, were given the downstairs and backyard for their
> new home, and the once-stray cat that had been confined
> downstairs had his home expanded accordingly.
>
> Now we have two separate domains, with my original three
> cats upstairs, indoors and outdoors, and the other seven
> downstairs and in the backyard. It was the only solution
> that I could think of that covered all of our problems, and
> so far it has worked beautifully. Keeping the six growing
> kittens in the house from January to April was a trying
> experience, but now we have peace, at least until the next
> unforseen crisis comes along. The backyard has trees and
> bushes and pinestraw, and a lot of space for running and
> chasing things.
>
> This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
> six young ones individually, and a picture of the
> cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
> the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
> shots.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

MaryL
July 9th 06, 05:39 AM
"Calvin Rice" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is about the six kittens that were born last August 7
> after I agreed to take responsibility for them, to save
> them and the mother from a late-term abortion.
>
> To recap, because it has been so long since the last update:
>
> The mother, a near-feral pregnant cat when I borrowed her,
> was returned to her 'owners' two months after the kittens
> were born. She had been spayed and given other medical
> treatment, was litterbox trained, tamed (at least with me),
> dewormed and treated for fleas. The kittens were weaned
> before she was spayed, and she recuperated for a week after
> spaying before being returned.
>
> The kittens were spayed/neutered in early January at age 5
> months.
>
> A few days later a kitten was almost run over, and I had
> to face the fact that they were more vulnerable to traffic
> than single cats, because they traveled in groups. Also
> it was becoming obvious that it was wrong for me to
> inflict six more cats on the neighbors. Up until that
> time I had been allowing the kittens long periods of
> time outdoors.
>
> The solution was to keep them in the house until I could
> get a fence built around the back yard that would keep
> cats confined to the yard. People said it couldn't be
> done, but such a fence was planned, and after a three-month
> struggle with the incompetent and lying people at our
> local Lowe's, the fence was finally installed, and I added
> a cat-proof topping.
>
> April 12 was the great day when the kittens, then age
> 8 months, were given the downstairs and backyard for their
> new home, and the once-stray cat that had been confined
> downstairs had his home expanded accordingly.
>
> Now we have two separate domains, with my original three
> cats upstairs, indoors and outdoors, and the other seven
> downstairs and in the backyard. It was the only solution
> that I could think of that covered all of our problems, and
> so far it has worked beautifully. Keeping the six growing
> kittens in the house from January to April was a trying
> experience, but now we have peace, at least until the next
> unforseen crisis comes along. The backyard has trees and
> bushes and pinestraw, and a lot of space for running and
> chasing things.
>
> This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
> six young ones individually, and a picture of the
> cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
> the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
> shots.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

*Excellent* fence arrangement for your cats. What did you use around the
top?

I love the group photo where one kitten has his/her paw reaching over the
back of another -- it looks just like a pose we would see where someone
stands with an arm partly around someone else, a nice sense of closeness.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

July 9th 06, 06:48 AM
"Calvin Rice" > wrote:

>This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
>six young ones individually, and a picture of the
>cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
>the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
>shots.
>
>http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

Dude, you need to clean that sink :-)

-mhd

Calvin Rice
July 9th 06, 06:56 AM
MaryL wrote:
> *Excellent* fence arrangement for your cats. What did you use around the
> top?

Two foot wide sheet aluminum, coated with something to keep it
from being metallic-shiny; attached by punching holes in it and
using pieces of soft metal ties like you see securing the chain-link
to the posts. I don't remember the thickness of the aluminum at
the moment, but I can find out if you want to know.. It comes in
50 ft rolls. The fence is six feet high, by the way, and the topping
can be raised higher, if ever necessary, but it don't think it will be.

Charlie Wilkes
July 9th 06, 07:11 AM
On 8 Jul 2006 20:53:44 -0700, "Calvin Rice" >
wrote:

>This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
>six young ones individually, and a picture of the
>cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
>the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
>shots.
>
>http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

You've done a great job, Calvin. If I had put in a fence, my dog
would still be alive today, and don't think I ain't kicking myself.

Charlie

MaryL
July 9th 06, 07:17 AM
"Calvin Rice" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> MaryL wrote:
>> *Excellent* fence arrangement for your cats. What did you use around the
>> top?
>
> Two foot wide sheet aluminum, coated with something to keep it
> from being metallic-shiny; attached by punching holes in it and
> using pieces of soft metal ties like you see securing the chain-link
> to the posts. I don't remember the thickness of the aluminum at
> the moment, but I can find out if you want to know.. It comes in
> 50 ft rolls. The fence is six feet high, by the way, and the topping
> can be raised higher, if ever necessary, but it don't think it will be.

Thanks. I think that's great. My cats are indoor-only, but I'm going to
add this to the list I made for people who ask about fencing for cats.

MaryL

Gail Futoran
July 9th 06, 03:56 PM
"Calvin Rice" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is about the six kittens that were born last August 7
> after I agreed to take responsibility for them, to save
> them and the mother from a late-term abortion.
[snip]
> This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
> six young ones individually, and a picture of the
> cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
> the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
> shots.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

You've done a wonderful thing for these kittens.
If there were more folks like you, we wouldn't have
stray dogs or cats.

Thanks for sharing.

Gail F.
Proud Housemaid to: Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Rhonda
July 9th 06, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the update, Calvin. I think your kitties have it made there.

Rhonda

Calvin Rice wrote:
> This is about the six kittens that were born last August 7
> after I agreed to take responsibility for them, to save
> them and the mother from a late-term abortion.

Popsie's Mom
July 9th 06, 11:00 PM
POLLY is GORGEOUS!! What type of cat is she, Calico colored. I notice
the kittens are black and white and tabby - feral? Those are the
markings of ALL the feral or wild or alley or stray cats here in this
area of North Miami, FL. Is that just a "norm" for such cats? Do they
mate with "wild cats"?

Calvin Rice wrote:
> This is about the six kittens that were born last August 7
> after I agreed to take responsibility for them, to save
> them and the mother from a late-term abortion.
>
> To recap, because it has been so long since the last update:
>
> The mother, a near-feral pregnant cat when I borrowed her,
> was returned to her 'owners' two months after the kittens
> were born. She had been spayed and given other medical
> treatment, was litterbox trained, tamed (at least with me),
> dewormed and treated for fleas. The kittens were weaned
> before she was spayed, and she recuperated for a week after
> spaying before being returned.
>
> The kittens were spayed/neutered in early January at age 5
> months.
>
> A few days later a kitten was almost run over, and I had
> to face the fact that they were more vulnerable to traffic
> than single cats, because they traveled in groups. Also
> it was becoming obvious that it was wrong for me to
> inflict six more cats on the neighbors. Up until that
> time I had been allowing the kittens long periods of
> time outdoors.
>
> The solution was to keep them in the house until I could
> get a fence built around the back yard that would keep
> cats confined to the yard. People said it couldn't be
> done, but such a fence was planned, and after a three-month
> struggle with the incompetent and lying people at our
> local Lowe's, the fence was finally installed, and I added
> a cat-proof topping.
>
> April 12 was the great day when the kittens, then age
> 8 months, were given the downstairs and backyard for their
> new home, and the once-stray cat that had been confined
> downstairs had his home expanded accordingly.
>
> Now we have two separate domains, with my original three
> cats upstairs, indoors and outdoors, and the other seven
> downstairs and in the backyard. It was the only solution
> that I could think of that covered all of our problems, and
> so far it has worked beautifully. Keeping the six growing
> kittens in the house from January to April was a trying
> experience, but now we have peace, at least until the next
> unforseen crisis comes along. The backyard has trees and
> bushes and pinestraw, and a lot of space for running and
> chasing things.
>
> This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
> six young ones individually, and a picture of the
> cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
> the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
> shots.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

Candace
July 10th 06, 01:37 AM
Calvin Rice wrote:

> This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
> six young ones individually, and a picture of the
> cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
> the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
> shots.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

Wow, Calvin!!!! They all look great, all 10 of them!!!! And I love
your backyard. You did a great job on everything, 10 healthy, happy,
well-cared for kitties. You're a Kitty Hero!!!!

Candace

angel
July 10th 06, 04:05 AM
Calvin Rice wrote:

> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

yes, very nice fence, should be there till the second coming

your cats look like fun companions

cats adjust very well to confined spaces, i keep saying it
but they are like old men, they love routines and boundaries
or at least they adjust well

it looks like you enjoy doing for them

i too lost a cat cause I didn't have a fence, now I keep mine inside
pending modifying my privacy fence. I hadn't thought about a band
i was thinking about a course of mesh at the top - leaning inwards

but I like the band idea

MaryL
July 10th 06, 05:29 AM
"Calvin Rice" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> angel wrote:
>> I hadn't thought about a band
>> i was thinking about a course of mesh at the top - leaning inwards
>> but I like the band idea
>
> My original plan was to mount the band higher, attached to the arms
> that you see leaning inward. But someone said the wind would tend
> to tear the band loose, so I changed plans to the way it is, which has
> held up well against some strong wind so far.

If you ever do find that you have problems with the wind, perhaps you could
create a number of holes (possibly in a pattern so that it would be
attractive). That should help cut down on wind pressure.

MaryL

angel
July 10th 06, 05:44 AM
Calvin Rice wrote:

> My original plan was to mount the band higher, attached to the arms
> that you see leaning inward. But someone said the wind would tend
> to tear the band loose, so I changed plans to the way it is, which has
> held up well against some strong wind so far.

you probably won't have any problems with high to moderate winds vs
severe
no more than any sign or billboard you may see on a public thoroughfare

now i wants me a fence topper
git these lazy cats out of the house

cybercat
July 11th 06, 04:27 AM
"Candace" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Calvin Rice wrote:
>>
>> This link is to pictures of all of my cats, including the
>> six young ones individually, and a picture of the
>> cat-proof fence. All of the cats are in good health, by
>> the way, and the young ones recently had their first rabies
>> shots.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html
>
> Wow, Calvin!!!! They all look great, all 10 of them!!!! And I love
> your backyard. You did a great job on everything, 10 healthy, happy,
> well-cared for kitties. You're a Kitty Hero!!!!

He really is.