PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging to eat?

jmc
July 11th 06, 10:54 AM
Poor Meep is still thin after her quarantine ordeal. She started to put
on a little weight, but I think she might actually have lost some.
She's a very fussy cat so I have a hard time finding stuff she'll eat.
On top of that, she's having problems with constipation - I've been
giving her laxatone and hairball meds, and she finally had a BM after
three or four days. I'm worried that the amount of meds it's taking to
move her is also causing her not to absorb nutrients - something I heard
happens with too much of these meds. Last week I thought she was fine
so stopped them, but for the last couple of days, she was getting 1ml
laxatone 1x/ day and as much hairball med as she'd eat - about 1/2" -
approx every other day. I gave her 2cc laxatone today (but no hairball
med) and she used the box within an hour after that. What's the normal
dosage for a 3.5kg cat (she should be 4kg)?

She won't eat her canned food (or does randomly, and might refuse a food
she savored the night before), so she's not getting the benefiber I've
started to put in it (tiny bit to start). Maybe she'll eat tonight now
that she's had a good dump... she's not eating her dry food as well as
I'd like either.

I'm thinking of trying straight canned tuna in water but how much/how
long would it be safe to do that? What if I mixed regular canned tuna
with her food?

I'm considering trying kitten food for a little bit, just until she's
put on weight. Would that be a good or bad thing considering her
constipation and cystitis?

I don't want to traumatize her further by taking her back to the vet,
but if she goes another couple of days without a good bm (or good pee,
she's not done much today), or eating properly, off she'll have to go.
I'd rather avoid that though. Any suggestions?

jmc

Buddy
July 11th 06, 11:03 AM
I was told that using laxatone all the time coats the stomach and the
cat doesn't absorb the nutrients. I have had great sucess with
Temptations treats for hairballs. Giving 5-6 per day. Meep is so
stuffed up there is no room for food. She needs to get cleaned out!

jmc wrote:
> Poor Meep is still thin after her quarantine ordeal. She started to put
> on a little weight, but I think she might actually have lost some.
> She's a very fussy cat so I have a hard time finding stuff she'll eat.
> On top of that, she's having problems with constipation - I've been
> giving her laxatone and hairball meds, and she finally had a BM after
> three or four days. I'm worried that the amount of meds it's taking to
> move her is also causing her not to absorb nutrients - something I heard
> happens with too much of these meds. Last week I thought she was fine
> so stopped them, but for the last couple of days, she was getting 1ml
> laxatone 1x/ day and as much hairball med as she'd eat - about 1/2" -
> approx every other day. I gave her 2cc laxatone today (but no hairball
> med) and she used the box within an hour after that. What's the normal
> dosage for a 3.5kg cat (she should be 4kg)?
>
> She won't eat her canned food (or does randomly, and might refuse a food
> she savored the night before), so she's not getting the benefiber I've
> started to put in it (tiny bit to start). Maybe she'll eat tonight now
> that she's had a good dump... she's not eating her dry food as well as
> I'd like either.
>
> I'm thinking of trying straight canned tuna in water but how much/how
> long would it be safe to do that? What if I mixed regular canned tuna
> with her food?
>
> I'm considering trying kitten food for a little bit, just until she's
> put on weight. Would that be a good or bad thing considering her
> constipation and cystitis?
>
> I don't want to traumatize her further by taking her back to the vet,
> but if she goes another couple of days without a good bm (or good pee,
> she's not done much today), or eating properly, off she'll have to go.
> I'd rather avoid that though. Any suggestions?
>
> jmc

jmc
July 11th 06, 01:39 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Buddy exclaimed (11-Jul-06 7:33 PM):
> jmc wrote:
>> Poor Meep is still thin after her quarantine ordeal. She started to put
>> on a little weight, but I think she might actually have lost some.
>> She's a very fussy cat so I have a hard time finding stuff she'll eat.
>> On top of that, she's having problems with constipation - I've been
>> giving her laxatone and hairball meds, and she finally had a BM after
>> three or four days. I'm worried that the amount of meds it's taking to
>> move her is also causing her not to absorb nutrients - something I heard
>> happens with too much of these meds. Last week I thought she was fine
>> so stopped them, but for the last couple of days, she was getting 1ml
>> laxatone 1x/ day and as much hairball med as she'd eat - about 1/2" -
>> approx every other day. I gave her 2cc laxatone today (but no hairball
>> med) and she used the box within an hour after that. What's the normal
>> dosage for a 3.5kg cat (she should be 4kg)?
>>
>> jmc
>
> I was told that using laxatone all the time coats the stomach and the
> cat doesn't absorb the nutrients. I have had great sucess with
> Temptations treats for hairballs. Giving 5-6 per day. Meep is so
> stuffed up there is no room for food. She needs to get cleaned out!

She did. Now I want to keep her that way! I haven't seen Temptations
here, but I'll continue looking.

Buddy
July 11th 06, 06:22 PM
Pet Smart and those types of places carry it. It is in a small foil
bag - they have various Temptations - hairball, teeth, etc.

jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Buddy exclaimed (11-Jul-06 7:33 PM):
> > jmc wrote:
> >> Poor Meep is still thin after her quarantine ordeal. She started to put
> >> on a little weight, but I think she might actually have lost some.
> >> She's a very fussy cat so I have a hard time finding stuff she'll eat.
> >> On top of that, she's having problems with constipation - I've been
> >> giving her laxatone and hairball meds, and she finally had a BM after
> >> three or four days. I'm worried that the amount of meds it's taking to
> >> move her is also causing her not to absorb nutrients - something I heard
> >> happens with too much of these meds. Last week I thought she was fine
> >> so stopped them, but for the last couple of days, she was getting 1ml
> >> laxatone 1x/ day and as much hairball med as she'd eat - about 1/2" -
> >> approx every other day. I gave her 2cc laxatone today (but no hairball
> >> med) and she used the box within an hour after that. What's the normal
> >> dosage for a 3.5kg cat (she should be 4kg)?
> >>
> >> jmc
> >
> > I was told that using laxatone all the time coats the stomach and the
> > cat doesn't absorb the nutrients. I have had great sucess with
> > Temptations treats for hairballs. Giving 5-6 per day. Meep is so
> > stuffed up there is no room for food. She needs to get cleaned out!
> >

> She did. Now I want to keep her that way! I haven't seen Temptations
> here, but I'll continue looking.

jmc
July 13th 06, 09:32 AM
Buddy:

Yea, 'cept I'm in Australia, and there's no PetsMart here that I know
of. APO won't allow me to ship anything remotely like meat, or I'd be
ordering the stuff I know she'll eat.

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Buddy exclaimed (12-Jul-06 2:52 AM):