PDA

View Full Version : Do Soft Paws Really Work?

Outlaw Scooter Tramp
July 12th 06, 11:51 PM
I have a 7 yr old Siemese that is tearing up my furniture. I just threw
out the old and bought new and dont want her to ruin the new stuff.

I don't want to put her thru the pain and suffering of being declawed so
I was wondering if the Soft Claws really work or if they are just a
gimmic. My first thought was that she would chew off the soft claws and
then ingest some of the toxic glue that holds them on.

Any suggestions on how to protect my funiture and/or stop her fro
scratching would be greatly appreciated.

Emails Welcome
Thank You
Patrick

-L.
July 13th 06, 07:24 AM
Outlaw Scooter Tramp wrote:
> I have a 7 yr old Siemese that is tearing up my furniture. I just threw
> out the old and bought new and dont want her to ruin the new stuff.
>
> I don't want to put her thru the pain and suffering of being declawed so
> I was wondering if the Soft Claws really work or if they are just a
> gimmic.

Here's a review of SoftPaws which I wrote awhile back. If you keep
your kitty's nails trimmed short, SoftPaws may not be necessary...but
here it goes:

(paste)

SoftPaws

Some people were asking about SoftPaws. I work at a vet, and apply
these things every day, to all kinds of cats. Here is my take:

after trimming, with a super-glue-like substance. They are used to
keep the kitty from scratching things that may be damaged by unaltered
nails.

****************

Pros:
They are really, really easy to apply if kitty cooperates, and will
let you trim her nails easily. They take about 5-8 minutes to apply,
once you get the hang of it.

They are relatively inexpensive (about $10-12/set, if applied at the
vet, and they last 1-3 months.) They are even less expensive if you
buy your own kit and apply them at home.

They do not interfere with normal claw usage, but protect things you
do not want scratched, fairly effectively.

Some cats do very, very well with them.

****************

Cons:

Some cats *detest* them, and will fight you tooth and nail (excuse the
pun) when you try to apply them.

Some cats pull them off easily.

The glue is very sticky, and will stick to and damage any surface it
encounters (including human skin).

If the glue touches any skin while wet (human or cat), it burns. It
is fairly
caustic.

Some cats are allergic to the glue.

If the nail is trimmed too short, the glue can damage the nail bed,
which results in a crusty/ill formed nail, when the nail grows out.
They work best of the nail is trimmed fairly short, and if the glue is
applied in the inner 2/3 of the cap, before application.

The caps need to be fitted properly. Many technicians tend to use
caps that are too large, and then the cat is constantly fighting with
the caps, as they "feel" awkward. One cat may need more than one size
of caps to accomodate all nails on the foot (e.g. mediums on all nails
except 'pinky", which needs a small).

The caps need to be applied quickly after the glue is applied...the
glue dries very quickly. This can be tricky for beginners.

****************

Overall impression: I think trimming nails often (every 1-2 weeks) is
a better, more wholistic solution to scratching problems, than
SoftPaws. If you are unable to do this, SoftPaws may be a solution
for you. Overall, it is a good product, but may not be good for every
cat.

(end of paste)

Also, check out http://www.stopdeclaw.com to find ideas on how to teach
your cat to scratch appropriately.