PDA

View Full Version : Cat licks and bites own low belly area, leaves sores, tests neg. , what gives?

Bttngl
July 13th 06, 01:08 PM
By now, you all know my cat, Popsie. From birth just about, she has
licked her low belly, "udder" area until it is bald and raw in spots!
At one point the doc thought she had ringworm (at 1 yr) and I was
tested too and I had it. She was born under a dumpster in an antbed,
covered in fleas. Now, she is 2 yr old, healthy as a horse, 15#, 36"
long, shots all up to date, wormed up to date, Advantage Flea and Tick
stuff every month like clock-work. BUT, she still sits up like a human
on her rear-end, leans forward and grooms until that udder area is
scrubbed bald and raw. I did notice the raw had turned to tiny scabs
and hair was growing back. Who knows!! ?? Allergies?? I called and
asked the vet after a scraping test was done....don't know. Nothing
clinical. So my cat's crazy?? She is never neglected or abused in any
way. Only loved and well taken care of. She has been super skiddish
ever since the hurricanes last year. We did not have to evacuate, but
it was very frightening. Now, any loud sound makes her run and hide.
hmmm. Thanks for listening.Bttngl.

July 13th 06, 04:27 PM
"Bttngl" > wrote:

>By now, you all know my cat, Popsie. From birth just about, she has
>licked her low belly, "udder" area until it is bald and raw in spots!
>At one point the doc thought she had ringworm (at 1 yr) and I was
>tested too and I had it. She was born under a dumpster in an antbed,
>covered in fleas. Now, she is 2 yr old, healthy as a horse, 15#, 36"
>long, shots all up to date, wormed up to date, Advantage Flea and Tick
>stuff every month like clock-work. BUT, she still sits up like a human
>on her rear-end, leans forward and grooms until that udder area is
>scrubbed bald and raw. I did notice the raw had turned to tiny scabs
>and hair was growing back. Who knows!! ?? Allergies?? I called and
>asked the vet after a scraping test was done....don't know. Nothing
>clinical. So my cat's crazy?? She is never neglected or abused in any
>way. Only loved and well taken care of. She has been super skiddish
>ever since the hurricanes last year. We did not have to evacuate, but
>it was very frightening. Now, any loud sound makes her run and hide.
>hmmm. Thanks for listening.Bttngl.

I would start with eliminating chemicals in the household that could
cause allergic reactions.

Be very conscientious of what you clean your floors and carpets with.

Avoid products like Pine Sol and just try hot water for a while. Even
carpet steamers do not need the detergent as just hot water is good
enough. Spot cleaner will do for actual stains and water only for the
rest of the carpet. Your carpet will also love you for it :-)

Switch the litter to non scented.

Avoid aerosol room fresheners.

Try a diet that is low in allergens. I think I read that lamb and rice
diets are recommended but don't quote me on that.

Also resist letting a vet treat the skin with a steroid. Steroids
(topical or otherwise) can trigger diabetes in cats I had that happen
to me with a cat who had the same problem as yours. BTW, the regimen
above did cure his licking.

-mhd

cybercat
July 13th 06, 05:41 PM
"Bttngl" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> By now, you all know my cat, Popsie.

Troll!

Bttngl
July 13th 06, 11:35 PM
Thank You! We will try all of these suggestions. We use plain low
dust clay litter. Incense for air freshening (tears up my
allergies!).Cheap floor mop solution - I am trying to talk my roomie
into the plain hot water idea - not going over very well- makes sense
because she lays with her belly on the floor all the time! It worsened
emensely after the bug-man sprayed a very strong odorous spray -
uggghhhh - gag a maggot - sorry! Anyway, seriously, thanks a heap.
bttngl.

wrote:
> "Bttngl" > wrote:
>
> >By now, you all know my cat, Popsie. From birth just about, she has
> >licked her low belly, "udder" area until it is bald and raw in spots!
> >At one point the doc thought she had ringworm (at 1 yr) and I was
> >tested too and I had it. She was born under a dumpster in an antbed,
> >covered in fleas. Now, she is 2 yr old, healthy as a horse, 15#, 36"
> >long, shots all up to date, wormed up to date, Advantage Flea and Tick
> >stuff every month like clock-work. BUT, she still sits up like a human
> >on her rear-end, leans forward and grooms until that udder area is
> >scrubbed bald and raw. I did notice the raw had turned to tiny scabs
> >and hair was growing back. Who knows!! ?? Allergies?? I called and
> >asked the vet after a scraping test was done....don't know. Nothing
> >clinical. So my cat's crazy?? She is never neglected or abused in any
> >way. Only loved and well taken care of. She has been super skiddish
> >ever since the hurricanes last year. We did not have to evacuate, but
> >it was very frightening. Now, any loud sound makes her run and hide.
> >hmmm. Thanks for listening.Bttngl.
>
> I would start with eliminating chemicals in the household that could
> cause allergic reactions.
>
> Be very conscientious of what you clean your floors and carpets with.
>
> Avoid products like Pine Sol and just try hot water for a while. Even
> carpet steamers do not need the detergent as just hot water is good
> enough. Spot cleaner will do for actual stains and water only for the
> rest of the carpet. Your carpet will also love you for it :-)
>
> Switch the litter to non scented.
>
> Avoid aerosol room fresheners.
>
> Try a diet that is low in allergens. I think I read that lamb and rice
> diets are recommended but don't quote me on that.
>
> Also resist letting a vet treat the skin with a steroid. Steroids
> (topical or otherwise) can trigger diabetes in cats I had that happen
> to me with a cat who had the same problem as yours. BTW, the regimen
> above did cure his licking.
>
> -mhd

Bttngl
July 13th 06, 11:59 PM
cybercat wrote:
> Troll!

bttngl replies:
Were you giving me a suggestion of some sort for
my cat, Popsie's belly?

MaryL
July 15th 06, 01:57 AM
"Bttngl" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank You! We will try all of these suggestions. We use plain low
> dust clay litter. Incense for air freshening (tears up my
> allergies!).Cheap floor mop solution - I am trying to talk my roomie
> into the plain hot water idea - not going over very well- makes sense
> because she lays with her belly on the floor all the time! It worsened
> emensely after the bug-man sprayed a very strong odorous spray -
> uggghhhh - gag a maggot - sorry! Anyway, seriously, thanks a heap.
> bttngl.

If your roomie is concerned about using plain water, try the Bissell Flip-It
hard floor cleaner. One side vacuums, the other side washes and squeegies
dry. At the very least, avoid buying only on the basis of cost since your
cat may have allergies. Clorox Clean-Up is often recommended. And be very
careful about anything that exterminators use. Insist that they use
pet-safe products and that it is applied only areas where your cat cannot
walk.

MaryL

Bttngl
July 17th 06, 09:28 PM
Thank you so much. No, cost is not a matter when our pet is concerned
as to allergies and such. (not as far as I am concerned - roomie has
other ideas - but, I will just buy the correct stuff and dispose of the
wrong stuff !) Will try to find the "Bissell Flip-It" have not seen it
here - I have seen the Clorox Clean-Ups I think and I know anything
with bleach kills all germs and all and cannot really hurt if diluted
properly. And, yes, next time, the bug man is not coming near our
apartment. Our cat is our bug-catcher - she does not eat them, just
kills them. Again, thanks, Gail Lynn