PDA

View Full Version : Question from reporter

July 13th 06, 03:55 PM
Hello all! I'm working on a story about taking pets on vacation. I've
heard that folks travel with cats. Have any of you ever taken one along
on holiday? Any tails... er, tales to tell? You may either email me
directly or post back to the list if you think this topic is of
interest.

Thanks!

Best Regards, Dru Sefton
Who am I? http://www.newhousenews.com/sefton.html

Hezabel
July 13th 06, 10:00 PM
I haven't travel with a pet yet, however; I am familiar with the
logistics (thru my employment). Most pets travel fine. When small
enough they can travel in the cabin as a carry-on luggage. Main
problem traveling internationally is that most owners don't get all the
information they need and often the animals will suffer long
quarantines at the arriving ports. Is IMPORTANT that they call their
local USDA Veterinary Services and get their documentation (an
International Health Certificate issued by their vet) endorsed.

These is where international regulations are found:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/

The fact that an airline would accept your documentation (find it meets
their criteria) doesn't mean that it meets the policy of the country of
arrival.

-L.
July 13th 06, 10:26 PM
wrote:
> Hello all! I'm working on a story about taking pets on vacation. I've
> heard that folks travel with cats. Have any of you ever taken one along
> on holiday? Any tails... er, tales to tell? You may either email me
> directly or post back to the list if you think this topic is of
> interest.
>
> Thanks!

Best place to stay is Residence Inn. They accept all pets, multiple
pets, and are an awesome chain.

-L.

yngver
July 14th 06, 03:44 PM
wrote:
> Hello all! I'm working on a story about taking pets on vacation. I've
> heard that folks travel with cats. Have any of you ever taken one along
> on holiday? Any tails... er, tales to tell? You may either email me
> directly or post back to the list if you think this topic is of
> interest.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards, Dru Sefton
> Who am I? http://www.newhousenews.com/sefton.html

Yes, we have been taking our cats along with us on some vacations since
they were kittens. We usually stay for a week or so at a vacation home
in a resort area, and bring them with us there. We've also stayed at
various similar vacation homes (that allow cats, of course!) for
shorter periods of time, in various areas within driving distance. We
also sometimes take them with us when visiting our inlaws or my mother.

If you get a kitten accustomed to car travel when young, they are
generally good travelers. I thnk ours enjoy getting out of the city
into the country periodically, just as we do. We don't take them along
anywhere we would have to fly; I think the plane ride would be too
stressful. And anyway we have three cats, and I believe most airlines
only allow two animals in the cabin.
-yngver