PDA

View Full Version : Dying baby

Val
July 13th 06, 04:34 PM
I take care of three orphaned kittens; one of them, a Russian Blue, is
very delicate and has had problems eliminating since I've had them. I
received them at 3 weeks, they are now 6 weeks. A few times I have
brought him back from the edge of death. But this time, I think he is
going. I smell death on him, that unmistakable smell of failing
organs. The vet concurs with me; that he has an intestinal defect that
will probably kill him sooner or later, and we can't keep giving him
enemas to keep him alive. I have decided to let him go this time, I
hate seeing him suffer any more than he already has. So, this time, I
made him as comfortable as possible, and left for work.

I am going home for lunch to feed him and his two siblings, and I hope
to find him still alive, but am not keeping my hopes up.

It is so hard to leave him behind when I feel he needs me the most, but
there is nothing I can do for him, and he is comfortable and warm and
dry. I told him that it's okay for him to go, and he should go if he
needs to, that he should not stay and suffer, and asked him to please
be there to meet me when I get to the other side.

I will have a whole herd of kittes there to greet me when I get to the
Rainbow Bridge!

-L.
July 13th 06, 05:46 PM
Val wrote:
> I take care of three orphaned kittens; one of them, a Russian Blue, is
> very delicate and has had problems eliminating since I've had them. I
> received them at 3 weeks, they are now 6 weeks. A few times I have
> brought him back from the edge of death. But this time, I think he is
> going. I smell death on him, that unmistakable smell of failing
> organs. The vet concurs with me; that he has an intestinal defect that
> will probably kill him sooner or later, and we can't keep giving him
> enemas to keep him alive. I have decided to let him go this time, I
> hate seeing him suffer any more than he already has. So, this time, I
> made him as comfortable as possible, and left for work.
>
> I am going home for lunch to feed him and his two siblings, and I hope
> to find him still alive, but am not keeping my hopes up.

You really need to take the kitten to the vet and have him euthanized.

> It is so hard to leave him behind when I feel he needs me the most, but
> there is nothing I can do for him, and he is comfortable and warm and
> dry. I told him that it's okay for him to go, and he should go if he
> needs to, that he should not stay and suffer,

You really need to have the kitten euthanized.

-L.
(shaking head and biting tongue...)

Gail
July 13th 06, 05:50 PM
I agree. The kitten should be euthanized so he does not suffer.
Gail
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Val wrote:
>> I take care of three orphaned kittens; one of them, a Russian Blue, is
>> very delicate and has had problems eliminating since I've had them. I
>> received them at 3 weeks, they are now 6 weeks. A few times I have
>> brought him back from the edge of death. But this time, I think he is
>> going. I smell death on him, that unmistakable smell of failing
>> organs. The vet concurs with me; that he has an intestinal defect that
>> will probably kill him sooner or later, and we can't keep giving him
>> enemas to keep him alive. I have decided to let him go this time, I
>> hate seeing him suffer any more than he already has. So, this time, I
>> made him as comfortable as possible, and left for work.
>>
>> I am going home for lunch to feed him and his two siblings, and I hope
>> to find him still alive, but am not keeping my hopes up.
>
> You really need to take the kitten to the vet and have him euthanized.
>

>> It is so hard to leave him behind when I feel he needs me the most, but
>> there is nothing I can do for him, and he is comfortable and warm and
>> dry. I told him that it's okay for him to go, and he should go if he
>> needs to, that he should not stay and suffer,
>
> You really need to have the kitten euthanized.
>
> -L.
> (shaking head and biting tongue...)

July 13th 06, 06:21 PM
"Val" > wrote:

>I take care of three orphaned kittens; one of them, a Russian Blue, is
>very delicate and has had problems eliminating since I've had them. I
>received them at 3 weeks, they are now 6 weeks. A few times I have
>brought him back from the edge of death. But this time, I think he is
>going. I smell death on him, that unmistakable smell of failing
>organs. The vet concurs with me; that he has an intestinal defect that
>will probably kill him sooner or later, and we can't keep giving him
>enemas to keep him alive. I have decided to let him go this time, I
>hate seeing him suffer any more than he already has. So, this time, I
>made him as comfortable as possible, and left for work.
>
>I am going home for lunch to feed him and his two siblings, and I hope
>to find him still alive, but am not keeping my hopes up.
>
>It is so hard to leave him behind when I feel he needs me the most, but
>there is nothing I can do for him, and he is comfortable and warm and
>dry. I told him that it's okay for him to go, and he should go if he
>needs to, that he should not stay and suffer, and asked him to please
>be there to meet me when I get to the other side.
>
>I will have a whole herd of kittes there to greet me when I get to the
>Rainbow Bridge!

Including one that suffered longer than he had to.

-mhd

MaryL
July 13th 06, 10:52 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Val wrote:
>> I take care of three orphaned kittens; one of them, a Russian Blue, is
>> very delicate and has had problems eliminating since I've had them. I
>> received them at 3 weeks, they are now 6 weeks. A few times I have
>> brought him back from the edge of death. But this time, I think he is
>> going. I smell death on him, that unmistakable smell of failing
>> organs. The vet concurs with me; that he has an intestinal defect that
>> will probably kill him sooner or later, and we can't keep giving him
>> enemas to keep him alive. I have decided to let him go this time, I
>> hate seeing him suffer any more than he already has. So, this time, I
>> made him as comfortable as possible, and left for work.
>>
>> I am going home for lunch to feed him and his two siblings, and I hope
>> to find him still alive, but am not keeping my hopes up.
>
> You really need to take the kitten to the vet and have him euthanized.
>

>> It is so hard to leave him behind when I feel he needs me the most, but
>> there is nothing I can do for him, and he is comfortable and warm and
>> dry. I told him that it's okay for him to go, and he should go if he
>> needs to, that he should not stay and suffer,
>
> You really need to have the kitten euthanized.
>
> -L.
> (shaking head and biting tongue...)

Yes, since the decision has been made that this little kitten cannot be
saved, he should be humanely euthanized. Don't let him suffer any longer.

MaryL

Bttngl
July 14th 06, 12:14 AM
Bttngl replies:
We are hearing of this situation all over the place of pets near death
and decisions having to be made. However, those are usually ones who
have been long-term pets with a 'hope' of life. You are a fighter and
you put that fight into your animals. However, sometimes a little
critter comes into the world and it just wasn't ready to make it.
Sometimes they needed their mothers a little longer to help with
elimination and breathing and milk and all. It's not your fault. The
little critter is suffering bad even if it doesn't make a sound. Think
about it really good. The baby just doesn't have a chance and if you
can't take it to a vet, an animal rescue place will come and help you
out. You have the other babies, right. You'll be ok. Concentrate on
the healthy ones. That's what Mama cats do, if they have a sickly
baby, most times they reject the baby and let it die so she can
concentrate her strength and food supply on the healthy ones. You're
the Mama now. God bless you.....bttngl.