PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what to do about strange bumps?

AppleCinnamon
July 13th 06, 09:39 PM
Hi, the other day I noticed that my 3 y/o male cat had a small spot on each front paw where he'd lost the fur. They're exactly symmetrical, which I thought was odd. But I left them alone thinking they were allergy spots or small scratches. However, I notifced today that he has spots on his chest and tummy as well. They aren't hairless, but they're bumps, and under the fur they seem to be little spots of scabby, irritated skin. He's been scratching at them, and I'm afraid they're spreading. Does anyone know what they might be? I'd take him straight to the vet, but it doesn't seem like an emergency at the moment, and if it can be taken care of at home, I'd like to avoid spending money I don't have on a visit that'll just tell me to take care of it at home anyway.

July 14th 06, 08:42 AM
AppleCinnamon wrote:
> Hi, the other day I noticed that my 3 y/o male cat had a small spot on
> each front paw where he'd lost the fur. They're exactly symmetrical,
> which I thought was odd. But I left them alone thinking they were
> allergy spots or small scratches. However, I notifced today that he has
> spots on his chest and tummy as well. They aren't hairless, but they're
> bumps, and under the fur they seem to be little spots of scabby,
> irritated skin. He's been scratching at them, and I'm afraid they're
> spreading. Does anyone know what they might be? I'd take him straight
> to the vet, but it doesn't seem like an emergency at the moment, and if
> it can be taken care of at home, I'd like to avoid spending money I
> don't have on a visit that'll just tell me to take care of it at home
> anyway.

There are several things it could be, so you'll need to have him
checked out. It could be something simple like bites. It could be
ringworm, and that is something you want treated right away since it
can pass to humans. When I was in grade school, a girl in my camp fire
group spread it the whole group. Our cats and dogs got it too. The
sooner you catch it, the better.

Also, you can get something to help the itching.

Rhonda
July 14th 06, 10:12 AM
That almost sounds like ringworm, which will spread quickly (and to
humans, too!)

I agree that it can be lots of other things too. I'd take him to the vet
tomorrow for a diagnosis.

Rhonda

AppleCinnamon wrote:
> Hi, the other day I noticed that my 3 y/o male cat had a small spot on
> each front paw where he'd lost the fur. They're exactly symmetrical,
> which I thought was odd. But I left them alone thinking they were
> allergy spots or small scratches. However, I notifced today that he has
> spots on his chest and tummy as well. They aren't hairless, but they're
> bumps, and under the fur they seem to be little spots of scabby,
> irritated skin. He's been scratching at them, and I'm afraid they're
> spreading. Does anyone know what they might be? I'd take him straight
> to the vet, but it doesn't seem like an emergency at the moment, and if
> it can be taken care of at home, I'd like to avoid spending money I
> don't have on a visit that'll just tell me to take care of it at home
> anyway.

AppleCinnamon
July 15th 06, 04:06 AM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Ringworm hadn't occurred to me, so now I'm going to keep a very close eye on him for a few days and take him to the vet if it doens't clear up. In the meantime, I think a zinc solution we have for the dog's serious fleabite allergy should soothe the itch.