PDA

View Full Version : Cat chews everything

blkcatgal
July 14th 06, 04:49 AM
My 1 yr old cat is chewing everything.....plastic, wood, leather, electrical
cords. He especially has a fondness for the shoelaces in my husband's
shoes. He chewed the heck out of a wooden spoon that I had with utensils on
the kitchen counter and now he tries to chew the plastic utensils. He has
chewed on the corners of the coffee table.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get him to stop this behavior??

Sue

Wendy
July 14th 06, 11:48 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> My 1 yr old cat is chewing everything.....plastic, wood, leather,
> electrical cords. He especially has a fondness for the shoelaces in my
> husband's shoes. He chewed the heck out of a wooden spoon that I had with
> utensils on the kitchen counter and now he tries to chew the plastic
> utensils. He has chewed on the corners of the coffee table.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how I can get him to stop this behavior??
>
> Sue

My cat, Boots is a chewer. He had a passion for cords when he was younger. I
got one of those sprays to keep him off the electric cords and my computer
keyboard and mouse cord. That seemed to help but he also chewed off the ties
off my bathrobes. Fortunately that passion has been replaced with a fondness
for cellophane and anything that crackles like that. He doesn't eat that
just plays with it.

Have you looked in his mouth to make sure he doesn't have a tooth problem?
He's young for that but who knows. If there isn't any problem in the mouth
then I'd use one of the spray deterrents on what you can and baby-proof
really well until he gets older. I wonder if he'd go for one of the rawhide
chew sticks they have for dogs or something similar that he could chew on
without worry about him swallowing something that could hurt him.

Toni
July 14th 06, 12:02 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> My 1 yr old cat is chewing everything.....plastic, wood, leather,
> electrical cords. He especially has a fondness for the shoelaces in my
> husband's shoes. He chewed the heck out of a wooden spoon that I had with
> utensils on the kitchen counter and now he tries to chew the plastic
> utensils. He has chewed on the corners of the coffee table.

One of my guys views chewing as a hobby to work off excessive energy. If we
skip a play session he chews. If his playmate brothers ignore him he chews.
If he wants attention he chews.
All I have figured out is that I have to remember to wear him out with
interactive play sessions twice a day or he is impossible.

Maybe your guy is just bored and needing more activity and stimulation in
his life?

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

AZ Nomad
July 14th 06, 04:35 PM
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:49:50 -0400, blkcatgal > wrote:

>My 1 yr old cat is chewing everything.....plastic, wood, leather, electrical
>cords. He especially has a fondness for the shoelaces in my husband's
>shoes. He chewed the heck out of a wooden spoon that I had with utensils on
>the kitchen counter and now he tries to chew the plastic utensils. He has
>chewed on the corners of the coffee table.

>Anyone have any ideas on how I can get him to stop this behavior??

Get some habanero sauce like "Dave's insanity sauce" and apply
liberaly.