PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted cats

Mario Lanza
July 14th 06, 01:14 PM
How can you stop neighbours cats from using your cats catflap? My
girlfriends poor little tabby has just got used to our new home and now
this big fat white cat is coming into our house, eating all the food
and fighting with our cat.

Personally I don't even like the things so one in the house is enough
for me but my gf is getting really stressed because her little baby is
upset by this other cat!

Anyone got any tips (If I had my way a rifle would probably suffice,
but I need some more humane/legel options)?

Janet B
July 14th 06, 01:55 PM
On 14 Jul 2006 05:14:19 -0700, "Mario Lanza"
>, clicked their heels and said:

>Anyone got any tips (If I had my way a rifle would probably suffice,
>but I need some more humane/legel options)?

Close the cat flap and keep your cat in, and outside only with
supervision.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

MaryL
July 14th 06, 02:09 PM
"Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> How can you stop neighbours cats from using your cats catflap? My
> girlfriends poor little tabby has just got used to our new home and now
> this big fat white cat is coming into our house, eating all the food
> and fighting with our cat.
>
> Personally I don't even like the things so one in the house is enough
> for me but my gf is getting really stressed because her little baby is
> upset by this other cat!
>
> Anyone got any tips (If I had my way a rifle would probably suffice,
> but I need some more humane/legel options)?

The most obvious solution is for your gf to keep her cat indoors and
eliminate the cat door. Her cat will be safer and probably healthier as a
result -- and you also eliminate the very real possibility that other
neighbors may be just as annoyed when gf's cat trespasses as you are when a
"foreign" cat invades your home. A much more expensive solution (but a very
real possibility, especially if you can do the work yourselves) is to fence
your yard and place a "cat-proof" barrier at the top of the fence. Some
people construct a large backyard unit for their cats, with entry to the
house (and with the top covered so no other cats can enter it) and there are
companies -- such as Drs. Foster and Smith -- that sell mesh "walkways"
where your cat cat be left outdoors for short periods of time.

MaryL

Mario Lanza
July 14th 06, 02:24 PM
We've just had the door replaced so we could have a catflap as we
didn't feel it was fair keeping the cat locked in all day, she is a
very quiet cat (got her from a sanctury for badly treated cats) and
only leaves the garden to explore the brook that runs between us and
next door. I would be extremely suprised if she was going into other
peoples gardens let alone houses.

I was thinking of just spraying the white cat with a hose every time it
comes near the house, wouldn't that be enough to deter it?

Matthew
July 14th 06, 03:23 PM
Use the rifle on yourself or how about taking the hose and shoving it up
your ass.

"Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
oups.com...

<sniped for being stupid>

Mario Lanza
July 14th 06, 03:49 PM
Matthew wrote:
> Use the rifle on yourself or how about taking the hose and shoving it up
> your ass.
>
> "Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> <sniped for being stupid>

Cheers Matthew, thanks for your helpful suggestion. The rifle one is
worth thinking about but as for the hose pipe I don't think that
cleaning my arse is really going to help keep other cats away.

Matthew
July 14th 06, 03:56 PM
"Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Matthew wrote:
>> Use the rifle on yourself or how about taking the hose and shoving it up
>> your ass.
>>
>> "Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> <sniped for being stupid>
>
> Cheers Matthew, thanks for your helpful suggestion. The rifle one is
> worth thinking about but as for the hose pipe I don't think that
> cleaning my arse is really going to help keep other cats away.

Maybe it will blow the bull**** out of it when you talk about hurting
animals expect people to think you are full of ****

dgk
July 14th 06, 05:42 PM
On 14 Jul 2006 06:24:33 -0700, "Mario Lanza"
> wrote:

>We've just had the door replaced so we could have a catflap as we
>didn't feel it was fair keeping the cat locked in all day, she is a
>very quiet cat (got her from a sanctury for badly treated cats) and
>only leaves the garden to explore the brook that runs between us and
>next door. I would be extremely suprised if she was going into other
>peoples gardens let alone houses.
>
>I was thinking of just spraying the white cat with a hose every time it
>comes near the house, wouldn't that be enough to deter it?

They make pet doors that only open for your pet, for instance:

http://www.petdoors.com/electronic_pet_doors.htm

That was the first one I hit but you can find lots more.

Mario Lanza
July 14th 06, 05:58 PM
Matthew wrote:
> "Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Matthew wrote:
> Maybe it will blow the bull**** out of it when you talk about hurting
> animals expect people to think you are full of ****

Sometimes in life Matthew you have to realise when people are talking
tongue in cheek. You have a some serious issues that you need to
address because over reactions like that will land you in trouble in
the real world.

Hope you have a happy life and calm down a bit.

Mario Lanza
July 14th 06, 07:02 PM
dgk wrote:
> On 14 Jul 2006 06:24:33 -0700, "Mario Lanza"
> > wrote:
>
> >We've just had the door replaced so we could have a catflap as we
> >didn't feel it was fair keeping the cat locked in all day, she is a
> >very quiet cat (got her from a sanctury for badly treated cats) and
> >only leaves the garden to explore the brook that runs between us and
> >next door. I would be extremely suprised if she was going into other
> >peoples gardens let alone houses.
> >
> >I was thinking of just spraying the white cat with a hose every time it
> >comes near the house, wouldn't that be enough to deter it?
>
> They make pet doors that only open for your pet, for instance:
>
> http://www.petdoors.com/electronic_pet_doors.htm
>
> That was the first one I hit but you can find lots more.

Thanks, I found some of these but they all seemed to be magnet
operated, the only infrared one I found had really bad reviews for
being too week.

Just spoken to gf and aparrently our shy little tabby did actually
stand up for her self today so hopefully they can sort it out between
themselves.

Matthew
July 14th 06, 10:55 PM
Someone might talk tongue and cheek to say but It shows the person true
self when they take the time to write it out than don't retract the
statement. But you are right I don't know you but I got a good judge of
your character

Easy way to handle the problem but a magnetic strip door with your cat
having the key on its collar

Oh and your tongue and cheek problem IMO seek some professional help

"Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Matthew wrote:
>> "Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >
>> > Matthew wrote:
>> Maybe it will blow the bull**** out of it when you talk about hurting
>> animals expect people to think you are full of ****
>

> Sometimes in life Matthew you have to realise when people are talking
> tongue in cheek. You have a some serious issues that you need to
> address because over reactions like that will land you in trouble in
> the real world.
>
> Hope you have a happy life and calm down a bit.

MaryL
July 14th 06, 11:04 PM
"Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We've just had the door replaced so we could have a catflap as we
> didn't feel it was fair keeping the cat locked in all day, she is a
> very quiet cat (got her from a sanctury for badly treated cats) and
> only leaves the garden to explore the brook that runs between us and
> next door. I would be extremely suprised if she was going into other
> peoples gardens let alone houses.
>
> I was thinking of just spraying the white cat with a hose every time it
> comes near the house, wouldn't that be enough to deter it?

Was your cat used to going outdoors, or was she indoors before you adopted
her? If possible, I believe that cats are better-off indoors, although I
realize that that is not a true for the U.K as for the U.S. because we have
so many predators. Even so, a shy cat such as you describe could have a
rough time with other cats or dogs -- not to mention cars. My cats have
been exclusively indoors, and they have been happy and healthy. I do have
lots of toys, scratching posts, cat trees, etc. for them. You can see some
pictures in the albums under my signature.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

IBen Getiner
July 15th 06, 11:04 AM
Mario Lanza wrote:
> How can you stop neighbours cats from using your cats catflap?

Get a nice little high-strung dog. He'll more than likely become fast
friends with your kat but not so for your thoughtless neighbor's!
It'll be a new experience for them when they stick their heads into
that cat-flap the next time, for-sure..

IBen

July 15th 06, 09:00 PM
Just tell your girlfriend to relax and let her cat sort it out with the
other. Probably your cat is female and the visitor is male and he is
asserting his right to the food and space in his territory. The cat
world is sexist. They will find a happy medium and it will be okay in
time. Male cats throw their weight around some. Your girl cat will work
out a detente with him after a modicum of hissing and parrying. It's
not that big a deal and it just comes with the territory of having an
indoor/outdoor cat. You have a cat flap - you'll have visiting cats.
That's just the way it is.

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
July 15th 06, 10:15 PM
Yes, a water pistol is an option, plus anything that gives a short, sharp
hiss. Could also try filling a plastic bottle with pebbles and shaking it at
the cat.

The electronic catflaps involve the cat wearing a collar, so there are safety
issues there, but there is also a catflap that works with a microchip (you
have to buy the catflap and the microchip). It's pricey though, over 100.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest getting some feliway diffusers from the vet for the
resident cat.

http://www.fabcats.org/collars.html
http://www.petporte.com/

Puss may still be intimidated though, even by seeing the white cat through
the catflap.

Catproof fencing might be an idea. This may sound as though you're
imprisoning your cat, but it seems to me that she may well have already ceded
territory to the intruder. This would get your garden back for her at least.
Secure-a-cat and Purrfect Fence do kits. Ideas here:

http://www.woodycoon.com/html/cat-proof_fencing.html
http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-worldenclosures.htm
http://www.lkegan.plus.com/Catproof%20fencing.pdf
http://www.fabcats.org/fencing.html

Mario Lanza wrote:
>How can you stop neighbours cats from using your cats catflap? My
>girlfriends poor little tabby has just got used to our new home and now
>this big fat white cat is coming into our house, eating all the food
>and fighting with our cat.
>
>Personally I don't even like the things so one in the house is enough
>for me but my gf is getting really stressed because her little baby is
>upset by this other cat!
>
>Anyone got any tips (If I had my way a rifle would probably suffice,
>but I need some more humane/legel options)?

someone97
July 16th 06, 12:47 AM
"Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Matthew wrote:
> > Use the rifle on yourself or how about taking the hose and shoving it
up
> > your ass.
> >
> > "Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> > <sniped for being stupid>
>
> Cheers Matthew, thanks for your helpful suggestion. The rifle one is
> worth thinking about but as for the hose pipe I don't think that
> cleaning my arse is really going to help keep other cats away.

We have just started having the same problem. We have an 11-year old female
and a 1-year old male. And a locking cat door. We haven't had any problems
until recently, so some new cat must have moved into our neighbourhood.
It's a bully. Not only does it terrorize my cats in their own garden, it
actually breaks in through the cat door when we're all at home indoors. The
cat door is supposed to be only accessible via a magnet on my cats' collars.

We managed to trap it on the inside by locking the cat door for "no going
out", but when we came into the room to catch it, it actually broke through
the cat door and ran off.

We are considering ways of trapping it in the room by trying to ensure it
doesn't break out - by putting a small metal bar across so it can come in
but not go out.

Personally I'm considering poisoning it because our two cats are nervous
wrecks because of it. But my partner says no, or at any rate not yet.

s97

Wendy
July 16th 06, 11:40 AM
"someone97" > wrote in message

> "Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Matthew wrote:
>> > Use the rifle on yourself or how about taking the hose and shoving it
> up
>> > your ass.
>> >
>> > "Mario Lanza" > wrote in message
>> > oups.com...
>> >
>> > <sniped for being stupid>
>>
>> Cheers Matthew, thanks for your helpful suggestion. The rifle one is
>> worth thinking about but as for the hose pipe I don't think that
>> cleaning my arse is really going to help keep other cats away.
>>

> We have just started having the same problem. We have an 11-year old
> female
> and a 1-year old male. And a locking cat door. We haven't had any
> problems
> until recently, so some new cat must have moved into our neighbourhood.
> It's a bully. Not only does it terrorize my cats in their own garden, it
> actually breaks in through the cat door when we're all at home indoors.
> The
> cat door is supposed to be only accessible via a magnet on my cats'
> collars.
>
> We managed to trap it on the inside by locking the cat door for "no going
> out", but when we came into the room to catch it, it actually broke
> through
> the cat door and ran off.
>
> We are considering ways of trapping it in the room by trying to ensure it
> doesn't break out - by putting a small metal bar across so it can come in
> but not go out.
>
> Personally I'm considering poisoning it because our two cats are nervous
> wrecks because of it. But my partner says no, or at any rate not yet.
>
> s97

The easiest way to solve your problem would be to eliminate the cat flap and
let your cat in and out yourself. A safer way to eliminate the problem is to
have the cat flap lead to an enclosed portion of your yard as someone else
already said.

People really don't have a lot of room to complain about other cats when
they are letting their own freely roam. You don't know what your cats do
when they are outside to annoy neighbors.