PDA

View Full Version : Very Vocal Kitty

Starstruckchaos
July 15th 06, 05:47 AM
I have a cat named Sushi. He's part siamese and part I don't know, haha. He's
about a year old. I got him when he was a kitten. He was kind of wild at
first, and I eventually tamed him to be a housepet. I had him and his sister.
The sister warmed up much faster than he did. It took him awhile. They were
really only used to me. Therefore, hid whenever anyone else was around. He
warmed up fast to my boyfriend. I ended up moving 8 hours away, and bringing
Sushi with me. I gave his sister to another good home, because I couldn't
bring two cats to a new apartment. We moved out of state and into a small
apartment. I lived by myself in a 5 bedroom home. My problem is - He meows a
lot and sometimes very loudly. I thought it might be due to being without his
sister, into a smaller place and a lot colder with central air. No matter
what I do, he still meows. I've tried treating him like a baby. Full food and
water dish, cuddle time, play time, snuggle, everything... I thought maybe he
was in heat or something, but he does this a lot and it's gone on since we
have moved.
Any suggestions on what I can do to calm him down? I've considered taking him
to get neutered and declawed. We thought that might help. ANY suggestions
would be appreciated... Thanks!

catface
July 15th 06, 07:36 AM
Starstruckchaos wrote:
> I have a cat named Sushi. He's part siamese and part I don't know, haha. He's
> about a year old. I got him when he was a kitten. He was kind of wild at
> first, and I eventually tamed him to be a housepet. I had him and his sister.
> The sister warmed up much faster than he did. It took him awhile. They were
> really only used to me. Therefore, hid whenever anyone else was around. He
> warmed up fast to my boyfriend. I ended up moving 8 hours away, and bringing
> Sushi with me. I gave his sister to another good home, because I couldn't
> bring two cats to a new apartment. We moved out of state and into a small
> apartment. I lived by myself in a 5 bedroom home. My problem is - He meows a
> lot and sometimes very loudly. I thought it might be due to being without his
> sister, into a smaller place and a lot colder with central air. No matter
> what I do, he still meows. I've tried treating him like a baby. Full food and
> water dish, cuddle time, play time, snuggle, everything... I thought maybe he
> was in heat or something, but he does this a lot and it's gone on since we
> have moved.
> Any suggestions on what I can do to calm him down? I've considered taking him
> to get neutered and declawed. We thought that might help. ANY suggestions
> would be appreciated... Thanks!

catface
July 15th 06, 08:38 AM
He obviously misses his sister and his familiar environment. Does he
get a chance to go out and socialize? Sounds like he's lonely (for cat
companionship) and cooped up. My cat is completely silent but finds his
voice and meows loudly all day when I'm away on holiday (or a visit of
more than a day). Even if my family is home to take care of him. So you
see! They hate change.
One other thing. I know you must neuter him but do wait till he's
settled down. It'll only add to his trauma now. And I'm personally
against declawing. I just trim the tips of his claws very carefully,
avoiding the pink part.
Starstruckchaos wrote:
> I have a cat named Sushi. He's part siamese and part I don't know, haha. He's
> about a year old. I got him when he was a kitten. He was kind of wild at
> first, and I eventually tamed him to be a housepet. I had him and his sister.
> The sister warmed up much faster than he did. It took him awhile. They were
> really only used to me. Therefore, hid whenever anyone else was around. He
> warmed up fast to my boyfriend. I ended up moving 8 hours away, and bringing
> Sushi with me. I gave his sister to another good home, because I couldn't
> bring two cats to a new apartment. We moved out of state and into a small
> apartment. I lived by myself in a 5 bedroom home. My problem is - He meows a
> lot and sometimes very loudly. I thought it might be due to being without his
> sister, into a smaller place and a lot colder with central air. No matter
> what I do, he still meows. I've tried treating him like a baby. Full food and
> water dish, cuddle time, play time, snuggle, everything... I thought maybe he
> was in heat or something, but he does this a lot and it's gone on since we
> have moved.
> Any suggestions on what I can do to calm him down? I've considered taking him
> to get neutered and declawed. We thought that might help. ANY suggestions
> would be appreciated... Thanks!

Niel Humphreys
July 15th 06, 09:25 AM
"Starstruckchaos" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have a cat named Sushi. He's part siamese and part I don't know, haha.
>He's
> about a year old. I got him when he was a kitten. He was kind of wild at
> first, and I eventually tamed him to be a housepet. I had him and his
> sister.
> The sister warmed up much faster than he did. It took him awhile. They
> were
> really only used to me. Therefore, hid whenever anyone else was around. He
> warmed up fast to my boyfriend. I ended up moving 8 hours away, and
> bringing
> Sushi with me. I gave his sister to another good home, because I couldn't
> bring two cats to a new apartment. We moved out of state and into a small
> apartment. I lived by myself in a 5 bedroom home. My problem is - He meows
> lot and sometimes very loudly. I thought it might be due to being without
> his
> sister, into a smaller place and a lot colder with central air. No matter
> what I do, he still meows. I've tried treating him like a baby. Full food
> and
> water dish, cuddle time, play time, snuggle, everything... I thought maybe
> he
> was in heat or something, but he does this a lot and it's gone on since we
> have moved.
> Any suggestions on what I can do to calm him down? I've considered taking
> him
> to get neutered and declawed. We thought that might help. ANY suggestions
> would be appreciated... Thanks!

Neutering should be done as a matter of course but why would ripping his
fingers off quieten him down? How can you think such a thing? That's
terrible.
--

Niel H

MaryL
July 15th 06, 02:57 PM
"Starstruckchaos" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have a cat named Sushi. He's part siamese and part I don't know, haha.
>He's
> about a year old. I got him when he was a kitten. He was kind of wild at
> first, and I eventually tamed him to be a housepet. I had him and his
> sister.
> The sister warmed up much faster than he did. It took him awhile. They
> were
> really only used to me. Therefore, hid whenever anyone else was around. He
> warmed up fast to my boyfriend. I ended up moving 8 hours away, and
> bringing
> Sushi with me. I gave his sister to another good home, because I couldn't
> bring two cats to a new apartment. We moved out of state and into a small
> apartment. I lived by myself in a 5 bedroom home. My problem is - He meows
> lot and sometimes very loudly. I thought it might be due to being without
> his
> sister, into a smaller place and a lot colder with central air. No matter
> what I do, he still meows. I've tried treating him like a baby. Full food
> and
> water dish, cuddle time, play time, snuggle, everything... I thought maybe
> he
> was in heat or something, but he does this a lot and it's gone on since we
> have moved.
> Any suggestions on what I can do to calm him down? I've considered taking
> him
> to get neutered and declawed. We thought that might help. ANY suggestions
> would be appreciated... Thanks!

Siamese are well-knwn for their vocalization, so it's possible that at least
part of what you are hearing is simply a result of heredity. Nevertheless,
you should have him checked by a vet to make sure there are no medical
problems. Make arrangements to have him neutered at the same time. This
really may help with your "problem." It also should be done ASAP because an
unaltered male may start spraying. Believe me, you would *not* like that
scent, and it is easier to prevent spraying by neutering (not 100 percent,
but very high) than it is to stop a cat from spraying once it has started
(much more problematic).

Please DO NOT have your cat declawed. It is cruel and unnecessary --
declawing is actually amputation, not just "trimming." Ironically, you are
also likely to cause still more problems by declawing because a much higher
percentage of declawed cats develop behavioral problems (biting, scratching,
etc.) and medical problems (such as early onset of arthritis).

MaryL

July 15th 06, 08:53 PM
He's lonely. He doesn't like the restriction in his living space and he
misses his sister.
Wouldn't you?

He needs to be neutered, firstly. He must NOT be declawed, secondly.
That is an extremely cruel and confusing experience for cats and it
will inevitably worsen any negative behavior patterns.

Since his life has changed alot, you need to work a little at making
the new environment fun for him, with a new routine that he can get
used to. Does he have a cat tree? If not, get him one - no matter how
small the apartment - there's always a way to put a tree up near a
window. Institute regular play time and look for new and interesting
cat toys to incorporate. (Panic mouses, thing in a bag etc). Experiment
with treats to find things he likes and have an evening session of play
followed by hand-feeding some yummy treats. Set up some soft places
around the apartment where he can sleep and hang out when you're not at
home. If he's smart and vocal - you could always buy a cat harness
leash (ties around the chest) and take him out of the apartment to the
building lobby or courtyard on a leash for a walkie.

Try to take his needs into account and give him some extra support
whiel he's getting used to what has happened to him. He is complaining,
that's all. Try to show him that you are listening and that you hear
him. We all yell louder when it seems like no one is responding :>

He loves you and he doesn't want to be homeless. He just needs a little
help adjusting.

Best,

Tracy