PDA

View Full Version : How do I know what's best for them?

LBrower
July 15th 06, 08:16 AM
I have 3 wonderful cats. All three are rescues, ages 3, 1.5, and 1. Three months ago I was forced to move. I was unable to take my babies with me, so they were given a loving temporary home with my father. He has a two story apartment, and the younger 2 cats were given indoor/outdoor privelages along with his own two cats. (My 3 year old suffers from stomatitis and I requested that she remain indoors for her own well being.) I was quite concerned about the other two going out as it was. They had always been indoor only, (I lived on a very busy street) but my father lives at the very end of a dead-end street, with a huge grass lot behind him. I've found a new apartment, it's much smaller than my dad's, I'll be living with 2 other women my age and one of them has a cat as well. I know that my 3 year old cat will be coming back to live with me. However, I'm not sure if the move would be best for my younger ones. I'm having difficulty deciding what would be best for the cats based on safety, their relationships with each other, and their relationships with my dad and me. My current thought is to bring the 1 yr. old and the 3 yr. old to live with me. They're both very personable, and have been spending the most time inside at my father's. However, my selfish side wants my 1.5 yr. old, too. She is the smartest and I've always loved her just as much as the other two, however she hardly goes inside anymore and she seems to love her new life. I love them all so much and I just want what will be best for them. What should I do?

July 15th 06, 08:42 PM
Hi,

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you should do, based on
the cat's personalities and needs. You were forced to put them through
a major transition, and it seems like they have adjusted to their new
living situation and now your situation has changed and there is less
space for them. I think you should go ahead and leave the cat who seems
to have adjusted well to the new living situation where she is happy.
Visit her frequently and see if your Dad is open to perhaps adding a
companion cat for her.

Of course she is less safe with the indoor/outdoor access, but if it is
a living home that suits her - than that is important, too. All cats
are individuals with different needs and personalities and if your
instincts are telling you what she really wants, then I think you
should listen to them and respect that she has found a new home for
herself that she likes.

Visit alot!

And be proud that you took care of all three of them through this
transition and made decisions that were in the best interest of the
animals. Many people wouldn't.

Best,

Tracy