PDA

View Full Version : Why do my cats sleep in the same room as their litter box?

Sharkman BMW
July 16th 06, 09:34 PM
I have a back room that is for extra furniture and a few boxes....
This is where I keep the litter box.
My cats sleep in there often, I wonder why?

Is it because it's quiet?

Or, is it some association with the litter?!?!!

Matthew
July 16th 06, 09:38 PM
Sounds like something a cat would do

A cat is like a woman don't try to figure either out you will never be able
to they will always surprise you

The only other thing is if the cat is sick or stressed out it will find a
quiet place to hide

"Sharkman BMW" > wrote in message
>I have a back room that is for extra furniture and a few boxes....
> This is where I keep the litter box.
> My cats sleep in there often, I wonder why?
>
> Is it because it's quiet?
>
> Or, is it some association with the litter?!?!!

Elizabeth Blake
July 16th 06, 11:58 PM
"Sharkman BMW" > wrote in message
>I have a back room that is for extra furniture and a few boxes....
> This is where I keep the litter box.
> My cats sleep in there often, I wonder why?
>
> Is it because it's quiet?
>
> Or, is it some association with the litter?!?!!
I don't know, but my cat Isaac likes to sleep in the bathroom, which is very
small. Today when I was in there he came in and lay down right next to the
litterbox, curled himself up and went to sleep.

--
Liz

July 17th 06, 04:21 PM
Sharkman BMW wrote:
> I have a back room that is for extra furniture and a few boxes....
> This is where I keep the litter box.
> My cats sleep in there often, I wonder why?
>
> Is it because it's quiet?
>
> Or, is it some association with the litter?!?!!

Perhaps the room is cooler than other parts of the house? Or quieter?

My cats usually sleep somewhere near me on a bed or couch or other soft
place. But when it is very hot out, like today, they sleep in unusual
places. For instance, Samba is sleeping on the coffee table right now,
possibly because it lets her get the breeze from the open window
better, and Bebop is probably on the floor somewhere since it is cooler
down there.

Loud noises inside or out often drive them to seek out quieter places
than their normal sleeping spots.

As for litter, it is not unheard of for cats to eat their own litter.
Depending on the litter used, this can cause serious health problems. I
was reading about this before I adopted my two kittens - who are 6 now
- and read about health problems resulting from eating litter. As a
result, I chose to use Swheat Scoop, which is actual wheat, for their
litter. If they ever chose to eat that litter - and I've never seen
even a hint that they have done so - I know that this litter would not
hurt them. (Of course, I'm talking about the raw litter, now what the
cats deposit in the litter!). So if you are worried that your cats are
eating the litter, maybe you need to switch them to a litter that they
could safely eat.

By the way, if you do want to switch them to a new litter, don't try to
do it all in a single moment. My kittens had only ever used cheap
gravel cat litter and refused to use the Swheat Scoop at first, even
though I put them in the box and pushed their front paws through the
litter to simulate burying a deposit. I had to go back to the gravel
litter for a few weeks and gradually increase the mix of Swheat Scoop
until they got used to it.

--
Rhino