PDA

View Full Version : Stray and Indoor Cats

July 17th 06, 09:28 AM
We have two male indoor cats that we only allow outside in the yard in
the evening while we sip a cocktail and keep an eye on them. Lately, a
female stray cat has decided to make our yard her home. After a few
weeks of hanging out, my wife has even begun settting out some food and
water for it. Oddly, our two indoor cats don't seem to mind this cat's
presence, and calmly watch her through the glass door when they usually
make quite a fuss when some cat or other critter visits their domain.

My question is whether there's any risk involved for our indoor cats by
letting this stray cat hang out in our yard? Could the stray pass
along some kitty ailment to our cats, even if they never come in
contact with each other?

-Fleemo

Gail
July 17th 06, 12:38 PM
No risk to my knowledge.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> We have two male indoor cats that we only allow outside in the yard in
> the evening while we sip a cocktail and keep an eye on them. Lately, a
> female stray cat has decided to make our yard her home. After a few
> weeks of hanging out, my wife has even begun settting out some food and
> water for it. Oddly, our two indoor cats don't seem to mind this cat's
> presence, and calmly watch her through the glass door when they usually
> make quite a fuss when some cat or other critter visits their domain.
>
> My question is whether there's any risk involved for our indoor cats by
> letting this stray cat hang out in our yard? Could the stray pass
> along some kitty ailment to our cats, even if they never come in
> contact with each other?
>
> -Fleemo

Kraut
July 17th 06, 01:44 PM
I would say as long as yours are up on their shots and their monthly
flea treatment that there would be nothing to worry about.

Maybe down the road if she gets friendly enough with you that you
could get her shots or at least get some flea and tick treatment on
her.

>No risk to my knowledge.
>Gail

>> We have two male indoor cats that we only allow outside in the yard in
>> the evening while we sip a cocktail and keep an eye on them. Lately, a
>> female stray cat has decided to make our yard her home. After a few
>> weeks of hanging out, my wife has even begun settting out some food and
>> water for it. Oddly, our two indoor cats don't seem to mind this cat's
>> presence, and calmly watch her through the glass door when they usually
>> make quite a fuss when some cat or other critter visits their domain.
>>
>> My question is whether there's any risk involved for our indoor cats by
>> letting this stray cat hang out in our yard? Could the stray pass
>> along some kitty ailment to our cats, even if they never come in
>> contact with each other?
>>
>> -Fleemo

Gail Futoran
July 17th 06, 01:49 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> We have two male indoor cats that we only allow outside in the yard in
> the evening while we sip a cocktail and keep an eye on them. Lately, a
> female stray cat has decided to make our yard her home. After a few
> weeks of hanging out, my wife has even begun settting out some food and
> water for it. Oddly, our two indoor cats don't seem to mind this cat's
> presence, and calmly watch her through the glass door when they usually
> make quite a fuss when some cat or other critter visits their domain.
>
> My question is whether there's any risk involved for our indoor cats by
> letting this stray cat hang out in our yard? Could the stray pass
> along some kitty ailment to our cats, even if they never come in
> contact with each other?
>
> -Fleemo

I'd make sure the water & food left outside aren't
shared by your cats and the stray, on the
offhand chance she has a disease like FeLV.
You could simply cover those dishes while your
cats are outside under your supervision.

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Ann
July 17th 06, 02:50 PM
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 01:28:06 -0700, fleemo17 wrote:

> We have two male indoor cats that we only allow outside in the yard in
> the evening while we sip a cocktail and keep an eye on them. Lately, a
> female stray cat has decided to make our yard her home. After a few
> weeks of hanging out, my wife has even begun settting out some food and
> water for it. Oddly, our two indoor cats don't seem to mind this cat's
> presence, and calmly watch her through the glass door when they usually
> make quite a fuss when some cat or other critter visits their domain.
>
> My question is whether there's any risk involved for our indoor cats by
> letting this stray cat hang out in our yard? Could the stray pass
> along some kitty ailment to our cats, even if they never come in
> contact with each other?

Yes, that could happen. But when your cats go out in your yard they
also might contract a virus "left" by a cat you never see. Then there is
the veterinarian's office. You could track a virus into your house on your
shoes. Imo, the primary "risk" is kittens. If you're convinced she
isn't otherwise being cared for, consider taking her to a vet to be spayed
(and tested for the nastier viruses if you want). You could release her
after a couple days healing.

Rhonda
July 17th 06, 03:54 PM
Most kitty diseases that I know of need direct contact. Some other
things, like respiratory infections and maybe distemper, could be passed
on if you petted the kitty then petted your own. Some of those things
are in the environment anyway, but I'd wash after petting the stray
until she's check out.

We've fed lots of strays and haven't had a problem. Soon though, you'll
want to get the stray into the vet for a spay (so you don't have LOTS of
yard cats) and hopefully get vaccinations.

Then there's that magic moment when you're attached and the cat comes
inside...

Good luck!

Rhonda

wrote:
> We have two male indoor cats that we only allow outside in the yard in
> the evening while we sip a cocktail and keep an eye on them. Lately, a
> female stray cat has decided to make our yard her home. After a few
> weeks of hanging out, my wife has even begun settting out some food and
> water for it. Oddly, our two indoor cats don't seem to mind this cat's
> presence, and calmly watch her through the glass door when they usually
> make quite a fuss when some cat or other critter visits their domain.
>
> My question is whether there's any risk involved for our indoor cats by
> letting this stray cat hang out in our yard? Could the stray pass
> along some kitty ailment to our cats, even if they never come in
> contact with each other?
>
> -Fleemo

July 17th 06, 11:15 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to chime in. Some excellent advice.
I wouldn't have even thought to cover the stray's eating dish.

Soooo, what if the stray gets feeling comfortable enough to actually
hang out with the other kitties during their daily jaunt around the
yard? At this point, they spend much of their day separated only by a
sliding glass door. Would it be an entirely different situation if the
cats were actually going to hang out together?

If she does continue to call our yard her home, I do hope we can get
her to the vet before long. Actually, she seems less skittish of me
than one of our indoor cats!

-Fleemo

Gail
July 18th 06, 12:55 AM
You need to have her checked by a vet (spayed, too) before you let your cats
hang out with her.
Gail
ups.com...