PDA

View Full Version : Sweeter

Rhonda
July 17th 06, 04:47 PM
If you have time, send her a lot of good vibes today.

After a bad weekend and lots of calls to the clinic, I checked her back
in last night. Just got a call that she has peritonitis, an infection of
her abdomen.

This sucks. They are looking for the surgeon today and she's going back
into surgery. She is one sick kitty, I don't know if she's going to make
it through this.

Send her lots of energy please!

Thanks,

Rhonda

Charlie Wilkes
July 17th 06, 05:28 PM
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:47:32 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>If you have time, send her a lot of good vibes today.
>
>After a bad weekend and lots of calls to the clinic, I checked her back
>in last night. Just got a call that she has peritonitis, an infection of
>her abdomen.
>
>This sucks. They are looking for the surgeon today and she's going back
>into surgery. She is one sick kitty, I don't know if she's going to make
>it through this.
>
>Send her lots of energy please!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rhonda

Yikes. I'm so sorry to hear about this Rhonda. I was worried because
her recovery didn't seem to be going very well, from what you posted.

You and Sweeter have my best wishes.

Charlie

cybercat
July 17th 06, 05:44 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> If you have time, send her a lot of good vibes today.
>
> After a bad weekend and lots of calls to the clinic, I checked her back
> in last night. Just got a call that she has peritonitis, an infection of
> her abdomen.
>
> This sucks. They are looking for the surgeon today and she's going back
> into surgery. She is one sick kitty, I don't know if she's going to make
> it through this.
>
> Send her lots of energy please!

Prayers on the way.

Kraut
July 17th 06, 08:05 PM
>If you have time, send her a lot of good vibes today.
>
>After a bad weekend and lots of calls to the clinic, I checked her back
>in last night. Just got a call that she has peritonitis, an infection of
>her abdomen.
>
>This sucks. They are looking for the surgeon today and she's going back
>into surgery. She is one sick kitty, I don't know if she's going to make
>it through this.
>
>Send her lots of energy please!

Prayers and purrs on the way for a quick and full recovery.

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Wendy
July 18th 06, 12:41 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> If you have time, send her a lot of good vibes today.
>
> After a bad weekend and lots of calls to the clinic, I checked her back in
> last night. Just got a call that she has peritonitis, an infection of her
> abdomen.
>
> This sucks. They are looking for the surgeon today and she's going back
> into surgery. She is one sick kitty, I don't know if she's going to make
> it through this.
>
> Send her lots of energy please!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhonda

So sorry to hear that she's not doing well. Sending good thoughts your way.

Candace
July 18th 06, 03:54 AM
Rhonda wrote:

> This sucks. They are looking for the surgeon today and she's going back
> into surgery. She is one sick kitty, I don't know if she's going to make
> it through this.
>
> Send her lots of energy please!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhonda

Oh, no, Rhonda, I'm so sorry, that poor little girl has been through so
much (and you, too). I just saw this now bu I am sending my best
wishes, healing energy, and prayers to Sweeter. I hope you check in
tonight.

Candace

Elizabeth Blake
July 18th 06, 04:56 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> If you have time, send her a lot of good vibes today.
>
> After a bad weekend and lots of calls to the clinic, I checked her back in
> last night. Just got a call that she has peritonitis, an infection of her
> abdomen.
>
> This sucks. They are looking for the surgeon today and she's going back
> into surgery. She is one sick kitty, I don't know if she's going to make
> it through this.
>
> Send her lots of energy please!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhonda

Rhonda,

I'm so sorry to hear that Sweeter isn't doing well. Big purrs for her, and
hoping she'll pull through.

--
Liz

Rhonda
July 18th 06, 02:27 PM
Thanks for sending Sweeter extra energy, sounds like she needed it.

They operated for a little over 3 hours last night. They started late
and we finally got a call that they were done at 12:30am.

The area where they had sutured the colon together had failed. She was
leaking into her abdomen. They spent most of the surgery time cleaning
her out with saline solution. I hope this works.

The surgeon was upset that he did not get a call over the weekend that
we were having so many problems. This is his first cat with this surgery
to ever get septic. He seemed pretty upset about it.

Sweeter's chances before surgery were about 20-25%. Now the surgeon
thinks it's 50/50. She's going to be in the hospital for awhile this time.

I visited her before surgery last night and all she could do was try to
escape the room! I'm glad she was feisty enough to do that.

Keep your fingers crossed for her.

Rhonda

22brix
July 18th 06, 03:21 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Thanks for sending Sweeter extra energy, sounds like she needed it.
>
> They operated for a little over 3 hours last night. They started late and
> we finally got a call that they were done at 12:30am.
>
> The area where they had sutured the colon together had failed. She was
> leaking into her abdomen. They spent most of the surgery time cleaning her
> out with saline solution. I hope this works.
>
> The surgeon was upset that he did not get a call over the weekend that we
> were having so many problems. This is his first cat with this surgery to
> ever get septic. He seemed pretty upset about it.
>
> Sweeter's chances before surgery were about 20-25%. Now the surgeon thinks
> it's 50/50. She's going to be in the hospital for awhile this time.
>
> I visited her before surgery last night and all she could do was try to
> escape the room! I'm glad she was feisty enough to do that.
>
> Keep your fingers crossed for her.
>
> Rhonda

Rhonda,

I'm so sorry she's having such a difficult time. It's so awful to see them
sick and not doing so well. You're in our thoughts. Head butts and purrs
from Tortle, Bonnie and the rest of the crew. I hope she's better soon.

Bonnie

Wendy
July 18th 06, 03:30 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Thanks for sending Sweeter extra energy, sounds like she needed it.
>
> They operated for a little over 3 hours last night. They started late and
> we finally got a call that they were done at 12:30am.
>
> The area where they had sutured the colon together had failed. She was
> leaking into her abdomen. They spent most of the surgery time cleaning her
> out with saline solution. I hope this works.
>
> The surgeon was upset that he did not get a call over the weekend that we
> were having so many problems. This is his first cat with this surgery to
> ever get septic. He seemed pretty upset about it.
>
> Sweeter's chances before surgery were about 20-25%. Now the surgeon thinks
> it's 50/50. She's going to be in the hospital for awhile this time.
>
> I visited her before surgery last night and all she could do was try to
> escape the room! I'm glad she was feisty enough to do that.
>
> Keep your fingers crossed for her.
>
> Rhonda

I was afraid that was what happened. I know you said they had some trouble
finding substantial enough tissue for a good anastimosis. Fingers and toes
crossed that it holds up better this time and the antibiotics do their job.

Ann
July 18th 06, 04:52 PM
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:27:50 +0000, Rhonda wrote:
> Thanks for sending Sweeter extra energy, sounds like she needed it.
>
> They operated for a little over 3 hours last night. They started late
> and we finally got a call that they were done at 12:30am.
>
> The area where they had sutured the colon together had failed. She was
> leaking into her abdomen. They spent most of the surgery time cleaning
> her out with saline solution. I hope this works.
>
> The surgeon was upset that he did not get a call over the weekend that
> we were having so many problems. This is his first cat with this surgery
> to ever get septic. He seemed pretty upset about it.

It's encouraging that he is personally invested in seeing her get well.

> Sweeter's chances before surgery were about 20-25%. Now the surgeon
> thinks it's 50/50. She's going to be in the hospital for awhile this time.

One plus about that is that they can give her antibiotics by IV/injection,
which won't take such a toll on her digestive system.

> I visited her before surgery last night and all she could do was try to
> escape the room! I'm glad she was feisty enough to do that.

Yes, the survival instinct is still there.

> Keep your fingers crossed for her.

Sure will.

> Rhonda

cybercat
July 18th 06, 05:12 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Thanks for sending Sweeter extra energy, sounds like she needed it.
>
> They operated for a little over 3 hours last night. They started late
> and we finally got a call that they were done at 12:30am.
>
> The area where they had sutured the colon together had failed. She was
> leaking into her abdomen. They spent most of the surgery time cleaning
> her out with saline solution. I hope this works.
>
> The surgeon was upset that he did not get a call over the weekend that
> we were having so many problems. This is his first cat with this surgery
> to ever get septic. He seemed pretty upset about it.
>
> Sweeter's chances before surgery were about 20-25%. Now the surgeon
> thinks it's 50/50. She's going to be in the hospital for awhile this time.
>
> I visited her before surgery last night and all she could do was try to
> escape the room! I'm glad she was feisty enough to do that.
>
> Keep your fingers crossed for her.
>
> Rhonda

What a brave little fighter Sweeter is! Rhonda, it sounds like you have the
best
surgeon anyone could hope for. He sounds like he cares about Sweeter.

The great thing is, you caught the problem (sepsis) and addressed it
with the radical solution needed. For all that she has to go through so
much discomfort, Sweeter is still a very lucky kitty. I'll keep you both
in my prayers.

Rhonda
July 19th 06, 05:56 AM
Thanks, everyone! Good wishes are still working.

Her temp dropped to normal today -- yeah! The surgeon stayed with her
for awhile last night after his 12:30am call and called the clinic about
her first thing this morning. He's been great. He told me today that he
was amazed to see her sitting upright in her cage last night.

I've visited her twice today, she is incredible. She is still scared and
sore, but really being brave. She head-butted me for a long time tonight.

One of her blood proteins is very low -- the one that helps tissue heal.
She is getting plasma and some other things. The surgeon said the next
few days will be critical, but I have more hope for her now than I did
last Sunday.

Rhonda

cybercat wrote:

> What a brave little fighter Sweeter is! Rhonda, it sounds like you have the
> best
> surgeon anyone could hope for. He sounds like he cares about Sweeter.
>
> The great thing is, you caught the problem (sepsis) and addressed it
> with the radical solution needed. For all that she has to go through so
> much discomfort, Sweeter is still a very lucky kitty. I'll keep you both
> in my prayers.

Charlie Wilkes
July 20th 06, 04:59 AM
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 04:56:50 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>Thanks, everyone! Good wishes are still working.
>
>Her temp dropped to normal today -- yeah! The surgeon stayed with her
>for awhile last night after his 12:30am call and called the clinic about
>her first thing this morning. He's been great. He told me today that he
>was amazed to see her sitting upright in her cage last night.
>
>I've visited her twice today, she is incredible. She is still scared and
>sore, but really being brave. She head-butted me for a long time tonight.
>
>One of her blood proteins is very low -- the one that helps tissue heal.
>She is getting plasma and some other things. The surgeon said the next
>few days will be critical, but I have more hope for her now than I did
>last Sunday.
>
>Rhonda

Good to hear, Rhonda. I wasn't too optimistic after your last post,
but this report sounds very positive.

This must be getting expensive, eh?

Charlie

>cybercat wrote:
>>
>> What a brave little fighter Sweeter is! Rhonda, it sounds like you have the
>> best
>> surgeon anyone could hope for. He sounds like he cares about Sweeter.
>>
>> The great thing is, you caught the problem (sepsis) and addressed it
>> with the radical solution needed. For all that she has to go through so
>> much discomfort, Sweeter is still a very lucky kitty. I'll keep you both
>> in my prayers.

Rhonda
July 20th 06, 05:52 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> Good to hear, Rhonda. I wasn't too optimistic after your last post,
> but this report sounds very positive.
>
> This must be getting expensive, eh?

Yes, it must be. I haven't asked. At this point, I wouldn't know how to
say do this treatment but don't do that one.

I held her on my lap for an hour tonight, she curled up after awhile and
fell asleep. Her blood protein is better and temp is still normal. They
say "stable" condition. I feel better about her chances every day.

I do hope she starts eating on her own soon.

Rhonda

Wendy
July 20th 06, 01:02 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>>
>> Good to hear, Rhonda. I wasn't too optimistic after your last post,
>> but this report sounds very positive.
>>
>> This must be getting expensive, eh?
>
> Yes, it must be. I haven't asked. At this point, I wouldn't know how to
> say do this treatment but don't do that one.
>
> I held her on my lap for an hour tonight, she curled up after awhile and
> fell asleep. Her blood protein is better and temp is still normal. They
> say "stable" condition. I feel better about her chances every day.
>
> I do hope she starts eating on her own soon.
>
> Rhonda

I hope all continues to go well. I was a little surprised that they sent her
home as quickly as they did after the first surgery but figured they may
have thought it was more important to have her less stressed at home.