PDA

View Full Version : help for kitty and me

Harpsichord
July 17th 06, 06:44 PM
Hi. I really need some guidance. I have to cats, sisters named Bloom &
Camoo. Bloom is a happy cat in every way. Cammo is not happy at all and
I don't know what I can do to improve life for her.

To keep it brief, I'll bullet point:

* she vomits all dry food (dry is all her sister wants or needs)
* she hates her wet food. eats it only after letting it sit for half
the day or more and never the whole serving (medium can)
* she is hungry all the time. cries all day for food. won't eat the
food in her bowl.
* I switch wet food brands constantly. she likes the new brand for two,
maybe three days. gobbles it up. then we're back to not eating and
crying for something else--not playing games for attention but really
crying and really hungry. I don't know what to do!
* she poops in her box (she has her own box which is always fresh and
clean) only 1/2 the time. the other half it goes on the carpet
* she cries and jumps up & down all over me and the furniture to let me
know she has to go potty, but won't go in her box even when I put her
in it. She won't go outside in the little patch of ground in the yard
where there is flowers and grass either. she freaks out, runs to a
corner somewhere in the house, and lets it go there. the vet says she
is not suffering from worms or constipation
* she is starved for attention (a metaphor for everything about this
cat: starved), throwing herself at my hand or into my leg, mooshing her
head into my cheek, her nose into my ear. it's quite adorable, but it
is never really satisfying for her I don't think as she never really
calms down
* all night long, many times almost every night, she becomes frightened
by some tiny sound and bolts from the bed. she bounds back up onto the
bed a few minutes later, but this is a little disconcerting because she
wakes me and her sister cat and then we are all stirring and the next
thing you know my light is on and I'm reading when I should be sleeping
* she is almost never content, but she's almost always purring!
furiously and loudly

I'm not too keen on the idea of antidepressants for animasl, tho it has
been suggested by a friend of mine (the vet isn't too keen on it either
but said she would prescribe if I said that's what I wanted). I'd like
to leave that as a last resort. Perhaps some of you know of natural
ways of boosting a cat's sense of well being?

Both of these cats are eight-years-old and have been with me since they
were 16 week old kittens. Before that they were with a good friend of
mine who discovered she was allergic to cat dander. Before that the
were in the pound, having been rescued from a Dumpster: someone left
them there inside an old soap box. I want to be the best human mom I
can be to these animals but I fear I'm failing Camoo. Recommendations
earnestly sought!

July 18th 06, 05:04 AM
Hmmm. You've had them for 8 years and Camoo just started acting this
way?
Have you tested her for hyperthyroid? How long has she been acting this
way?

Could be conflicts with Bloom that you're not aware of - try watching
their interactions fairly closely, but I would lean towards something
medical is this behavior just cropped up suddenly.

I would try some Feliway - but something seems to have definitely
changed for her, and if it's not the external environment, it's
probably something inside her body.

Harpsichord wrote:
> Hi. I really need some guidance. I have to cats, sisters named Bloom &
> Camoo. Bloom is a happy cat in every way. Cammo is not happy at all and
> I don't know what I can do to improve life for her.
>
> To keep it brief, I'll bullet point:
>
> * she vomits all dry food (dry is all her sister wants or needs)
> * she hates her wet food. eats it only after letting it sit for half
> the day or more and never the whole serving (medium can)
> * she is hungry all the time. cries all day for food. won't eat the
> food in her bowl.
> * I switch wet food brands constantly. she likes the new brand for two,
> maybe three days. gobbles it up. then we're back to not eating and
> crying for something else--not playing games for attention but really
> crying and really hungry. I don't know what to do!
> * she poops in her box (she has her own box which is always fresh and
> clean) only 1/2 the time. the other half it goes on the carpet
> * she cries and jumps up & down all over me and the furniture to let me
> know she has to go potty, but won't go in her box even when I put her
> in it. She won't go outside in the little patch of ground in the yard
> where there is flowers and grass either. she freaks out, runs to a
> corner somewhere in the house, and lets it go there. the vet says she
> is not suffering from worms or constipation
> * she is starved for attention (a metaphor for everything about this
> cat: starved), throwing herself at my hand or into my leg, mooshing her
> head into my cheek, her nose into my ear. it's quite adorable, but it
> is never really satisfying for her I don't think as she never really
> calms down
> * all night long, many times almost every night, she becomes frightened
> by some tiny sound and bolts from the bed. she bounds back up onto the
> bed a few minutes later, but this is a little disconcerting because she
> wakes me and her sister cat and then we are all stirring and the next
> thing you know my light is on and I'm reading when I should be sleeping
> * she is almost never content, but she's almost always purring!
> furiously and loudly
>
> I'm not too keen on the idea of antidepressants for animasl, tho it has
> been suggested by a friend of mine (the vet isn't too keen on it either
> but said she would prescribe if I said that's what I wanted). I'd like
> to leave that as a last resort. Perhaps some of you know of natural
> ways of boosting a cat's sense of well being?
>
> Both of these cats are eight-years-old and have been with me since they
> were 16 week old kittens. Before that they were with a good friend of
> mine who discovered she was allergic to cat dander. Before that the
> were in the pound, having been rescued from a Dumpster: someone left
> them there inside an old soap box. I want to be the best human mom I
> can be to these animals but I fear I'm failing Camoo. Recommendations
> earnestly sought!

Harpsichord
July 18th 06, 10:37 AM
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Camoo has always been a nervous, jumpy, difficult cat. The vet
(actually over the years there have been three vets) says she's
immature and was probably weaned too soon, or was excessively bossed by
her littermates.

What I think is happening is that gradually, over time, Bloom has
continued to become more and more mellow, exhibiting fewer and fewer
wild kitten behaviors, while Camoo has stayed the same developmentally,
and in some ways she's become even more 'neurotic,' e.g. hyper vigilant
about running from small sounds; not always knowing where it's okay to
poop; being extremely finicky about food.

The reason I posed these questions *now* is because it occurred to me
recently that while I have bonded fully with Bloom--which I think is
partly attributable to the fact that she's just a mellower cat, and
partly because I've somehow guessed well with respect to her needs,
lucked out--with Camoo the bond between us--and perhaps I should call
it my ability understand what she needs--comes and goes. We make
progress, then lapse back. Not in every respect, but in most.

The cats play together, or seem to play, but maybe I am
misunderstanding the behavior. They bat at each other and roll around
the bed together; sometimes they'll briefly chase each other around the
house. Generally there's no hissing. I notice what usually starts it is
a playful ambush on the part of either of them; they both like to hide
round corners and pounce. If they do start to hiss I will usually
verbally break it up; one word from me (girls!) and the roughhousing
generally stops.

Now more than ever they do not like to share my attentions. If one is
sitting on or near me and the other approaches, the first will run
away. This behavior is particularly pronounced in Camoo (she runs off
if Bloom approaches us) which is why I try to make a special effort to
include her in play, even if it means going and getting her and coaxing
her to join Bloom and I. Camoo's growing tendency to exclude herself
is, in fact, a big worry that contributed to my decision ask for advice
here.

Camoo's thyroid (as of January) is normal.

What is Feliway?

wrote:
> [...]
> > * she is almost never content, but she's almost always purring!
> > furiously and loudly
> >
> > I'm not too keen on the idea of antidepressants for animasl, tho it has
> > been suggested by a friend of mine (the vet isn't too keen on it either
> > but said she would prescribe if I said that's what I wanted). I'd like
> > to leave that as a last resort. Perhaps some of you know of natural
> > ways of boosting a cat's sense of well being?
> >
> > Both of these cats are eight-years-old and have been with me since they
> > were 16 week old kittens. Before that they were with a good friend of
> > mine who discovered she was allergic to cat dander. Before that the
> > were in the pound, having been rescued from a Dumpster: someone left
> > them there inside an old soap box. I want to be the best human mom I
> > can be to these animals but I fear I'm failing Camoo. Recommendations

July 18th 06, 06:40 PM
Okay. Thanks for the extra level of detail. It makes it much easier to
comment:

Feliway is a canned/spray pheronome scent of some kind that is fairly
inoffensive to humans, and apparently very potent for cats as a calming
secure kind of smell. It isn't cheap, and I'm not sure anyone could
afford to use it permenently, but it might be interesting to see if it
has an impact on Camoo. (The usual use is after a move or some other
sort og big adjustment)>

It sounds like the interactions between the cats are normal and I don't
think you're misreading anything. Seems like the problem is more about
you. It is true that both people and cats can triangulate, so maybe a
part of the issue is the attempt to "include Camoo" when she really
wants you all to herself.

Maybe one thing to try is to set up a structure where calm Bloom is
kept out of a room for a while (in the evening, perhaps) and Camoo gets
you all to herself. No joining, no including, no triangulating, just
you and her for some play and snuggling without Bloom coming over,
nosing around or watching. They can be observant about us, and if she's
got a bit of a nervous, needy temperament, may be becoming increasigly
insecure that you like/want/love Bloom more and of course, the worse
she acts out, the more she may get body language confirmation that this
is so :>

So she may be opting out/stressing over a competition she feels she
can't win.

It's just an idea, but in the past, I've had some success with giving
concentrated attention in isolation that I didn't have when trying an
including scenario with multiple cats. Sometimes that may be the need
that isn't being filled and heck, if it works a bit, Bloom might be
grateful to have her companion happier cand clamer and more fulfilled
and her
mom lmore relaxed. Might be a worth a try anyhow .....

Good luck!
Harpsichord wrote:
> [...]
> > > * she is almost never content, but she's almost always purring!
> > > furiously and loudly
> > >
> > > I'm not too keen on the idea of antidepressants for animasl, tho it has
> > > been suggested by a friend of mine (the vet isn't too keen on it either
> > > but said she would prescribe if I said that's what I wanted). I'd like
> > > to leave that as a last resort. Perhaps some of you know of natural
> > > ways of boosting a cat's sense of well being?
> > >
> > > Both of these cats are eight-years-old and have been with me since they
> > > were 16 week old kittens. Before that they were with a good friend of
> > > mine who discovered she was allergic to cat dander. Before that the
> > > were in the pound, having been rescued from a Dumpster: someone left
> > > them there inside an old soap box. I want to be the best human mom I
> > > can be to these animals but I fear I'm failing Camoo. Recommendations

Harpsichord
July 19th 06, 01:52 AM
The idea of allowing either cat time with me in exclusion of the other
(tho it happens by default all the time with Bloom) never occured to
me.

In the profoundest sense, you are so right. The problem was me, or my
narrow thinking. Thank you for improving my perspective (usenet is
magical sometimes).

best,
Harper

wrote:
> [...]
> > her to join Bloom and I. Camoo's growing tendency to exclude herself
> > is, in fact, a big worry that contributed to my decision ask for advice
> > here.
> >
> > Camoo's thyroid (as of January) is normal.
> >
> > What is Feliway?
> >

> > wrote:
> > > Hmmm. You've had them for 8 years and Camoo just started acting this
> > > way?
> > > Have you tested her for hyperthyroid? How long has she been acting this
> > > way?
> > >
> > > Could be conflicts with Bloom that you're not aware of - try watching
> > > their interactions fairly closely, but I would lean towards something
> > > medical is this behavior just cropped up suddenly.
> > >
> > > I would try some Feliway - but something seems to have definitely
> > > changed for her, and if it's not the external environment, it's

JJ
July 19th 06, 02:44 AM
Ok, I am going to take a different opinion here.

I think that the playing you are seeing between the girls could
actually be something different and that there could be some bullying
going on that is being misunderstood as playing.

I would give each a separate room with amenities (litter box, food,
water, toys) and let them take turns having run of the house which
includes your attention. I would try this for a while and see if there
are any positive changes. The needy one needs a little break from the
other one.

Animals (cats certainly) have intricate social relationships and
sometimes we do not understand everything - but one thing I know for
sure is that sometimes animals relationships change with one another
and in the case of cats - sometimes territorial disputes emerge and
occassionally even the sweetest most laid back cat be a bully,
particularly when owner is away.

There could be some things happeneing when you are not home- I would
definitly separate to give time for the stressed on to "chill-out" a
little.

Hope this helps.