PDA

View Full Version : Do cats scratch on leather furniture?

Kerry
July 18th 06, 12:01 AM
Hi all, just looking for some quick advice.

We have a 12+ year-old female cat who uses a large upholstered chair to
scratch on. Just wondering; if we buy a leather couch & chair, is it
likely our cat will try to sink her sharp little claws into the
leather? It's heavy duty, smooth, dark brown leather.

I'm thinking she won't do it, but what do you think?

Thanks very much for the help!

~Kerry.

cybercat
July 18th 06, 12:06 AM
"Kerry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all, just looking for some quick advice.
>
> We have a 12+ year-old female cat who uses a large upholstered chair to
> scratch on. Just wondering; if we buy a leather couch & chair, is it
> likely our cat will try to sink her sharp little claws into the
> leather? It's heavy duty, smooth, dark brown leather.
>
> I'm thinking she won't do it, but what do you think?
>
> Thanks very much for the help!

Get her a nice scratcher! Start with this:

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

The trick is to give them something they like to scratch more than
your furniture, and this worked for me.

Yes, she will scratch leather, unless you train her not to by giving her
something
she likes to scratch better. Cats need to scratch and stretch. A cat tree
would
be GREAT for her if you have a place for one.

Matthew
July 18th 06, 12:10 AM
In a heart beat
"Kerry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all, just looking for some quick advice.
>
> We have a 12+ year-old female cat who uses a large upholstered chair to
> scratch on. Just wondering; if we buy a leather couch & chair, is it
> likely our cat will try to sink her sharp little claws into the
> leather? It's heavy duty, smooth, dark brown leather.
>
> I'm thinking she won't do it, but what do you think?
>
> Thanks very much for the help!
>
> ~Kerry.

Mike
July 18th 06, 12:35 AM
My girlfriend has a leather couch and for several years had a cat with
claws. The cat didn't overtly try to scratch the chair, BUT the cat did
inadvertently scratch it with her back paws as she leapt on and off it.

It was clear the cat didn't prefer the leather due to its smoothness,
because once a new, fuzzier couch was purchased, the cat started attacking
the arms like nobody's business!

Mike

"Kerry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all, just looking for some quick advice.
>
> We have a 12+ year-old female cat who uses a large upholstered chair to
> scratch on. Just wondering; if we buy a leather couch & chair, is it
> likely our cat will try to sink her sharp little claws into the
> leather? It's heavy duty, smooth, dark brown leather.
>
> I'm thinking she won't do it, but what do you think?
>
> Thanks very much for the help!
>
> ~Kerry.

Buddy
July 18th 06, 01:40 AM
I have had a leather couch for 20 years and it is badly scratched from
the BACK claws.

Mike wrote:
> My girlfriend has a leather couch and for several years had a cat with
> claws. The cat didn't overtly try to scratch the chair, BUT the cat did
> inadvertently scratch it with her back paws as she leapt on and off it.
>
> It was clear the cat didn't prefer the leather due to its smoothness,
> because once a new, fuzzier couch was purchased, the cat started attacking
> the arms like nobody's business!
>
> Mike
>
> "Kerry" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi all, just looking for some quick advice.
> >
> > We have a 12+ year-old female cat who uses a large upholstered chair to
> > scratch on. Just wondering; if we buy a leather couch & chair, is it
> > likely our cat will try to sink her sharp little claws into the
> > leather? It's heavy duty, smooth, dark brown leather.
> >
> > I'm thinking she won't do it, but what do you think?
> >
> > Thanks very much for the help!
> >
> > ~Kerry.

Jim Vecchiola KR2T
July 18th 06, 07:58 PM
I agree with several posts - my cats don't like my leather couch for
scratching - but they have put a few nicks in it from their BACK paws while
climbing up to rest on the back of it.

kr2t
"Buddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have had a leather couch for 20 years and it is badly scratched from
> the BACK claws.
>

> Mike wrote:
>> My girlfriend has a leather couch and for several years had a cat with
>> claws. The cat didn't overtly try to scratch the chair, BUT the cat did
>> inadvertently scratch it with her back paws as she leapt on and off it.
>>
>> It was clear the cat didn't prefer the leather due to its smoothness,
>> because once a new, fuzzier couch was purchased, the cat started
>> attacking
>> the arms like nobody's business!
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> "Kerry" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Hi all, just looking for some quick advice.
>> >
>> > We have a 12+ year-old female cat who uses a large upholstered chair to
>> > scratch on. Just wondering; if we buy a leather couch & chair, is it
>> > likely our cat will try to sink her sharp little claws into the
>> > leather? It's heavy duty, smooth, dark brown leather.
>> >
>> > I'm thinking she won't do it, but what do you think?
>> >
>> > Thanks very much for the help!
>> >
>> > ~Kerry.

Barb
July 18th 06, 10:43 PM
I love my leather furniture. It is very easy to clean. There are a few
scratch marks on it, mainly on the ottoman which was the cheaper of the
pieces, anyway. I think these scratches were from leaping off rather than
sharpening claws. The cats have a cat tree and several scratch boards.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

PawsForThought
July 19th 06, 03:08 AM
Kerry wrote:
> Hi all, just looking for some quick advice.
>
> We have a 12+ year-old female cat who uses a large upholstered chair to
> scratch on. Just wondering; if we buy a leather couch & chair, is it
> likely our cat will try to sink her sharp little claws into the
> leather? It's heavy duty, smooth, dark brown leather.

We have a leather sofa and the cats don't touch it. But...you need to
make sure you offer your cat an alternative and something more enticing
like a nice tall scratching post or cat tree.

IBen Getiner
July 19th 06, 10:30 AM
Kerry wrote:
> Hi all, just looking for some quick advice.
>
> We have a 12+ year-old female cat who uses a large upholstered chair to
> scratch on. Just wondering; if we buy a leather couch & chair, is it
> likely our cat will try to sink her sharp little claws into the
> leather? It's heavy duty, smooth, dark brown leather.
>
> I'm thinking she won't do it, but what do you think?
>
> Thanks very much for the help!
>
> ~Kerry.

Yes. She will absolutely RUIN your leather. This is because of the fact
that she not only uses her claws to fight and play... she also uses
them for every conceivable exercise that her brain calls upon her body
to do. Such as the simple act of getting up and then moving in off a
direction. The claws come out instinctively to help her grip and hold.
We had all our boy's claws removed right away, since we have leather
furniture as well. The animal rights loonies will have you believe that
they KNOW it hurts the cat, but seriously... how do they know that...?!
I know the cat didn't tell them so!
That's what we did, and we've never had any trouble at all. Our cat is
fine, healthy and happy. He plays well with his paws and still
constantly attempts to 'sharpen' his non-existent claws on his favorite
box! That's how we KNOW that they're wrong.! LOL...!!
My advice: Find a sympathetic vet... Get his opinion and then get rid
of them... The cat doesn't need them and you sure don't need the
hassle. It's a one-time deal and then it's over..

IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
July 19th 06, 10:42 AM
Yes. She will absolutely RUIN your leather. This is because of the fact
that she not only uses her claws to fight and play... she also uses
them for every conceivable exercise that her brain calls upon her body
to do. Such as the simple act of getting up and then bounding off in a
direction. The claws come out instinctively to help her grip and hold.
We had all our boy's claws removed right away, since we have leather
furniture as well. The animal rights loonies will have you believe that
they KNOW it hurts the cat, but seriously... how do they know that...?!
I know the cat didn't tell them so!
That's what we did, and we've never had any trouble at all. Our cat is
fine, healthy and happy. He plays well with his paws and still
constantly attempts to 'sharpen' his non-existent claws on his favorite
box! That's how we KNOW that they're wrong.! LOL...!!
My advice: Find a sympathetic vet... Get his opinion and then get rid
of them... The cat doesn't need them and you sure don't need the
hassle. It's a one-time deal and then it's over..

IBen Getiner

Kerry
July 22nd 06, 07:24 PM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> Yes. She will absolutely RUIN your leather. This is because of the fact
> that she not only uses her claws to fight and play... she also uses
> them for every conceivable exercise that her brain calls upon her body
> to do. Such as the simple act of getting up and then bounding off in a
> direction. The claws come out instinctively to help her grip and hold.
> We had all our boy's claws removed right away, since we have leather
> furniture as well. The animal rights loonies will have you believe that
> they KNOW it hurts the cat, but seriously... how do they know that...?!
> I know the cat didn't tell them so!
> That's what we did, and we've never had any trouble at all. Our cat is
> fine, healthy and happy. He plays well with his paws and still
> constantly attempts to 'sharpen' his non-existent claws on his favorite
> box! That's how we KNOW that they're wrong.! LOL...!!
> My advice: Find a sympathetic vet... Get his opinion and then get rid
> of them... The cat doesn't need them and you sure don't need the
> hassle. It's a one-time deal and then it's over..
>

> IBen Getiner

Thanks for all the good remarks, people! Appreciate it. It'll be
interesting to see what happens.

~Kerry.