PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ways to give a cat a pill (and other questions)

Mom of 2 Cuties
July 18th 06, 05:19 AM
I am struggling here...and really need some advice. I also think that I have to give a lot of history just to get you all up to speed. Please, if you have a few minutes, read this and share your insight and thoughts with me - I can use all of the help I can get!

I adopted two 3 year old silver tipped persian brothers from a shelter (they were found abandonned) in mid-March. They were front declawed by previous owners. I have never owned or wanted to own a purebred, but these guys stole my heart in the shelter...anyway, I have had urination problems pretty much since I got them, though it took me some time to realize that the "cat smell" wasn't just from now owning cats but was from the cats peeing outside of their box. They peed on carpets and my couch, and on occasion, on my bed. I couldn't figure out WHAT was going on but tried a lot of solutions. I changed their litter, added a box (for a total of 2), tried different litters in different boxes, got Feliway, removed the carpets, throw rug and down comforter, added another litter box (for a total of 3), scooped the litter once, twice then three times a day, took them to the vet. Cyrus had crystals and a very high Ph; Leo had a slightly high Ph. Ah ha! A UTI. Easily solved. At this point, I still didn't know who was peeing (if it was both or only one). I put them both on prescription wet and dry food but the peeing kept up. So, I added methioform to their diets to up the prescription factor.

Still, I had pee. The longer this has gone on, the more I figured out. The pee has been narrowed to three spots: the couch (usually the spot that Cyrus liked to sleep), the bed (usually in the spot where Cyrus liked to sleep, though Leo sleeps every night in another spot on the bed close to me, Cyrus only naps on the bed and sleeps nights on a chair right next to the bed), and in the closet against the wall beside one of the litter boxes (located in a pantry type closet with an open door). To minimize the incidents and risks, I have kept the bedroom door closed when I am not home (though once or twice he peed on it when I was home!) and tilting up the couch cushions when I am not home. I also had the couch professionally cleaned and enzymed to rid it of smells. Each time I think I have made progress and have loosened my precautions, it is merely a matter of time before it begins again. I think (almost positively) that it is Leo that is doing the peeing (though I keep thinking I need a nanny-cam to be sure). I see Cyrus use the box and he is way mellower overall. Leo is super needy and lovey and a little more desiring of attention most of the time. Oh, I should mention, I am single and have a pretty hectic life. I am often not home all day long and occasionally stay at my boyfriend's for the night. He too has a cat so we try to be fair about spending time with each other and making sure that we aren't abandoning our cats in the meantime.

The latest idea is to put Leo on anti-anxiety medications once a day - yes, I have my cat on Prozac. But, the downfall is that Leo is the WORST pill taker. I mean, if he wasn't anxious before-hand, he would be after the ordeal each night of trying to give him this pill. I tried putting a towel around him on the counter to force the pill. I also tried hiding it in "treats" or other food to get it in. Unfortunately, I have found that the only way I can get it in him is to disolve it in tuna water; I think that the tuna smells so strong and good that it goes right down. However, here is the clincher. Fish is not good for cats with UTI's. Though I don't worry so much about Leo and all of that (since he really barely had one to begin with), I have had an impossible time not giving some tuna to Cyrus too because he can smell it, even though he doesn't take the Prozac. So, I've been giving it to Cy too, and now, smart cat that he is, he doesn't want other prescription anti-UTY wet food in the morning because he knows that the tuna exists. He does eat the prescription anti-UTI dry food in the meantime, but since he has a propensity towards UTI's, I worry about the tuna thing. Tonight, I put the methioform with the fish, which probably did very little, but it was a step.

So, my questions (if you've gotten this far) are...
Any ideas about this pee problem?
Any other trick foods that's smell may overpower that of the medicine enough to give to Leo, without risking Cy's health?
Any thoughts at all???!!

I feel like I read all the time about cats having urinary problems, but neither I, nor anyone I personally know, has ever had them. So...here I am with a "common" problem and no practical knowledge or advice. I love these kitties to pieces and take my commitment to adopt them very seriously, yet, people keep saying "why don't you get rid of one. they are probably marking which you can't stop without removing one". I just don't want to believe this. Partly because I love them each so much for different reasons and can't imagine choosing one over the other, but also because I actually think that they like each other. They occasionally bicker slightly (swatting annoyedly at each other) and occasionally sleep on top of each other, each cleaning the other and mostly coexist fine. So...I am hoping you all have some ideas for my so so sweet boys!!!

Thank you so much in advance.

Wendy
July 18th 06, 12:41 PM
"Mom of 2 Cuties" > wrote in message

> [...]
> Any thoughts at all???!!
>
> I feel like I read all the time about cats having urinary problems, but
> neither I, nor anyone I personally know, has ever had them. So...here I
> am with a "common" problem and no practical knowledge or advice. I love
> these kitties to pieces and take my commitment to adopt them very
> seriously, yet, people keep saying "why don't you get rid of one. they
> are probably marking which you can't stop without removing one". I
> just don't want to believe this. Partly because I love them each so
> much for different reasons and can't imagine choosing one over the
> other, but also because I actually think that they like each other.
> They occasionally bicker slightly (swatting annoyedly at each other)
> and occasionally sleep on top of each other, each cleaning the other
> and mostly coexist fine. So...I am hoping you all have some ideas for

Just some random thoughts here.

You can give one of your cats fluoresce. This is a dye that will assist you
in identifying which cat is urinating outside the box. You feed it to a cat
and then check the spots where the cat is peeing outside the box with a
black light. The urine from the treated cat will fluoresce bright yellow.
Once you determine for sure which cat is the 'guilty party' you can
concentrate your efforts on that cat.

Have you checked the paws to make sure they are healed properly? If a
declawed cat is having pain in his paws he's likely to avoid the box. Even
if the paws appear to be healed properly, the litter might be hurting their
paws or he could be having phantom pain. You may want to avoid perfumed
litter. I forget what consistency is recommended and hope someone else will
chime in on this. If it hurts to use the box though the cat will avoid it.

Have you had a follow up urine test done to make sure the diet change has
addressed the problem? My cat Isabelle had a URI a couple of years back that
took 5 weeks on antibiotics to clear up.

You could pick up some lengths of plastic floor runner. They sell it at
places like Home Depot. It's on a big roll in the store so you can purchase
the length you need. If you put in down pointy side up that will discourage
the cat from going there.

That's all that I can think of offhand but you might want to try googling
'inappropriate urination cat declaw'. There's a lot of info out there on
this subject.

Good luck and thanks for being willing to work with these cats.

Wendy
July 18th 06, 12:43 PM
Have you tried using a pill crusher (available at Pet Smart) to grind the
pill into a powder and then mixing that with wet food?

> [...]
> Any thoughts at all???!!
>
> I feel like I read all the time about cats having urinary problems, but
> neither I, nor anyone I personally know, has ever had them. So...here I
> am with a "common" problem and no practical knowledge or advice. I love
> these kitties to pieces and take my commitment to adopt them very
> seriously, yet, people keep saying "why don't you get rid of one. they
> are probably marking which you can't stop without removing one". I
> just don't want to believe this. Partly because I love them each so
> much for different reasons and can't imagine choosing one over the
> other, but also because I actually think that they like each other.
> They occasionally bicker slightly (swatting annoyedly at each other)
> and occasionally sleep on top of each other, each cleaning the other
> and mostly coexist fine. So...I am hoping you all have some ideas for

Mike
July 18th 06, 02:10 PM
Is there a liquid form of the medication available? My particularly anxious
cat somehow let's me pick her up, place her off to the side of me and,
holding the scruff of her neck with my less-dominant hand, I coax an
eye-dropper full of the medicine in her mouth. She moves her head around in
protest, but I eventually have a couple openings to empty the dropper. It
usually doesn't take but about 30 seconds now. She then gets kitty treats
immediately afterwards.

"Mom of 2 Cuties" > wrote in message

> I am struggling here...and really need some advice. I also think that I
> have to give a lot of history just to get you all up to speed. Please,
> if you have a few minutes, read this and share your insight and
> thoughts with me - I can use all of the help I can get!

Ann
July 18th 06, 03:14 PM
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:19:19 +0000, Mom of 2 Cuties wrote:
> I am struggling here...and really need some advice. I also think that I
> have to give a lot of history just to get you all up to speed. Please,
> if you have a few minutes, read this and share your insight and thoughts
> with me - I can use all of the help I can get!
<...>
> Unfortunately, I have found that the only way I can get it in him is to
> disolve it in tuna water; I think that the tuna smells so strong and
> good that it goes right down. However, here is the clincher. Fish is
> not good for cats with UTI's.

It's not the tuna meat, rather the fact that canned tuna (and other fish)
has lots of bone in it. I have no idea whether the cats would accept it,
but you could try getting some type of fresh fish with easy to remove
bones. Cook it enough that it's safe, then puree it in a blender with
water (or oil).

I have usually had luck lightly "buttering" pills. It slips down the cat's
throat easier so he/she doesn't have as much opportunity to spit it out.

My best guess is that the urination problem was established at the cats'
previous home(s). Possibly the owner didn't get them neutered before they
started territorial spraying. I agree with the suggestion to try plastic
over the places the cats have been using.

Mom of 2 Cuties
July 18th 06, 05:37 PM
I have tried crushing the pill into the wet food and he turns his nose up at it in an instant. Clearly, he can smell it.

I've thought about the fluoricide option, but I really don't feel like the issue is with Cyrus. I see him use the box all the time. Leo, on the other hand, I don't see use the box all that often and have actually caught him peeing outside of it twice...

Good thoughts about the paw issue...however, he does use the box sometimes. Certainly for defacating he does. And sometimes for pee, just not always.

I use unscented scoopable litter. I have also tried "cat attract" in it to lure them to it more often. Either way, I am still finding pee.

Thanks for your insight and keep the ideas coming. I know that there MUST be a solution...and I really can't envision giving one away.

Mom of 2 Cuties
July 18th 06, 08:19 PM
Interesting about the bone issue (vs. fish). I'll keep that in mind and maybe experiment around it. Any thoughts about whether canned chicken is as bad?

July 19th 06, 02:38 AM
Mom of 2 Cuties > wrote:

>Interesting about the bone issue (vs. fish). I'll keep that in mind and
>maybe experiment around it. Any thoughts about whether canned chicken
>is as bad?

Get some salmon flavored pill pockets from your vet (45 for about
$4.50). Cats can't resist them. They even make a good treat so you can
get him hooked.
-mhd

blkcatgal
July 19th 06, 04:34 AM
My cat took prozac for inappropriate urination. I obtained the meds from a
compounding pharmacy that was able to compound the med into a flavored chew
treat (chicken, tuna, etc). They also offered flavored liquid compounds.
The pharmacy I used was Veterinary Pharmacy of America (website is
vetrxrx.com). You will need a prescription from your vet or your vet can
call them with the prescription.

Sue

> [...]
> Any thoughts at all???!!
>
> I feel like I read all the time about cats having urinary problems, but
> neither I, nor anyone I personally know, has ever had them. So...here I
> am with a "common" problem and no practical knowledge or advice. I love
> these kitties to pieces and take my commitment to adopt them very
> seriously, yet, people keep saying "why don't you get rid of one. they
> are probably marking which you can't stop without removing one". I
> just don't want to believe this. Partly because I love them each so
> much for different reasons and can't imagine choosing one over the
> other, but also because I actually think that they like each other.
> They occasionally bicker slightly (swatting annoyedly at each other)
> and occasionally sleep on top of each other, each cleaning the other
> and mostly coexist fine. So...I am hoping you all have some ideas for

Ann
July 19th 06, 04:42 AM
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:19:25 +0000, Mom of 2 Cuties wrote:

> Interesting about the bone issue (vs. fish). I'll keep that in mind and
> maybe experiment around it. Any thoughts about whether canned chicken
> is as bad?

I wouldn't think chicken would be as bad. If we're talking human canned
tuna, I doubt it has as much bone as tuna cat food. If you look at a cat
food label, there is a listing for % Ash. That at least used to be
considered the number to look at for cats with urinary problems; lower is
better.

jmc
July 19th 06, 12:03 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Mom of 2 Cuties exclaimed (18-Jul-06 1:49 PM):
> I am struggling here...and really need some advice. I also think that I
> have to give a lot of history just to get you all up to speed. Please,
> if you have a few minutes, read this and share your insight and
> thoughts with me - I can use all of the help I can get!
>
> I adopted two 3 year old silver tipped persian brothers from a shelter
> (they were found abandonned) in mid-March. They were front declawed by
> previous owners. I have never owned or wanted to own a purebred, but
> these guys stole my heart in the shelter...anyway, I have had urination
> problems pretty much since I got them, though it took me some time to
> realize that the "cat smell" wasn't just from now owning cats but was
> from the cats peeing outside of their box. They peed on carpets and my
> couch, and on occasion, on my bed.

> So, my questions (if you've gotten this far) are...
> Any ideas about this pee problem?
> Any other trick foods that's smell may overpower that of the medicine
> enough to give to Leo, without risking Cy's health?
> Any thoughts at all???!!
>

> Thank you so much in advance.

Have you tried Feliway? It's available in a diffuser and in a spray,
and it's original use was to treat exactly the problem you're having;
now it's used generally to help reduce anxiety in cats.

I've used it with some success to reduce Meep's travel anxiety by
spraying her box. I couldn't get a diffuser so the first week or two in
this new house I sprayed around the upstairs (where she spent most of
her time) while she was sleeping. Despite being thin and anxious from
quarantine, she settled in very quickly - may have been the Feliway, I'm
not sure.

As far as treats, Meep loves hairball medicine, so I'll sometimes hide a
pill in that. I've also heard peanut butter is good, or just butter,
but never tried them myself. Personally, I prefer a liquid medicine if
it's available. Much easier and quicker. Meep's getting occasional
laxatone right now for constipation, and I can get that into her with no
issues at all.

jmc

Mom of 2 Cuties
July 19th 06, 09:06 PM
I have been using feliway.

Adam Helberg
July 20th 06, 07:29 AM
Just get a $5 pill "gun" that looks like a syringe, and makes giving a pill to a cat
much easier. You can buy one at Petco or Petsmart.

Adam

July 27th 06, 10:39 PM
"Adam Helberg" > wrote in
nk.net:

> Just get a $5 pill "gun" that looks like a syringe, and makes giving a
> pill to a cat much easier. You can buy one at Petco or Petsmart.

I tried it and I couldn't get the cat to keep her mouth open long enough,
plus it's hard on the animal.

I've written this before in this group, and I find this to be the best
way:

I've found the easiest way to give a cat a pill is to buy some low sodium
turkey breast at the appetizing counter of your supermarket or deli.

1)crunch the pill into powder using a folded piece of paper and a spoon
(or any hard object).

Put pressure on the spoon and crunch the pill into a fine powder.

2) Put a little powder into a small piece of turkey breast and then roll
it up so that the powder isn't visible and easy to smell over the scent
of the turkey. Do that until you have enough pieces for the whole pill.
I use at most 1/3 of a slice of turkey breast.

My cat, who is extremely particular regarding what she eats, will eat at
least 3/4 of it, leaving over what she can tell is the strange smelling
turkey that contains the powder. She always comes back licking her chops
for more, knowing that she will only get her treat when it's pill time
again. I immediately take the left overs and roll them up in minute
pieces of turkey breast and she finishes it.

It's actually gotten to the point where I give her her topical med, and
she then waits for the pill!

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Adam Helberg
September 4th 06, 08:13 PM
> wrote in message
> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in
> nk.net:
>

>> Just get a $5 pill "gun" that looks like a syringe, and makes giving a
>> pill to a cat much easier. You can buy one at Petco or Petsmart.
>>

> I tried it and I couldn't get the cat to keep her mouth open long enough,
> plus it's hard on the animal.
>
> I've written this before in this group, and I find this to be the best
> way:

> I've found the easiest way to give a cat a pill is to buy some low sodium
> turkey breast at the appetizing counter of your supermarket or deli.
>

> 1)crunch the pill into powder using a folded piece of paper and a spoon
> (or any hard object).
>
> Put pressure on the spoon and crunch the pill into a fine powder.
>

> 2) Put a little powder into a small piece of turkey breast and then roll
> it up so that the powder isn't visible and easy to smell over the scent
> of the turkey. Do that until you have enough pieces for the whole pill.
> I use at most 1/3 of a slice of turkey breast.
>
> My cat, who is extremely particular regarding what she eats, will eat at
> least 3/4 of it, leaving over what she can tell is the strange smelling
> turkey that contains the powder. She always comes back licking her chops
> for more, knowing that she will only get her treat when it's pill time
> again. I immediately take the left overs and roll them up in minute
> pieces of turkey breast and she finishes it.
>

> It's actually gotten to the point where I give her her topical med, and
> she then waits for the pill!
>
> Good luck and I hope this helps.

Whatever works. I had a hyperthyroid cat and the pill syringe worked well to give her
methimazole twice a day. The syringe slips into her mouth and is inserted so the
mouth stays open. In fact it must be inserted deep enough so she swallows by reflex
and not spit the pill out.

Adam

kjira
September 30th 06, 05:53 AM
Mom of 2 Cuties-
I am in the same boat- my cat started peeing four years ago, and
despite everything I tried (multiple cat boxes, different litter,
covered/uncovered, etc.) nothing helped. I've even had the vet examine
her to make sure it wasn't a UTI. Finally, the vet recommended Prozac.
I was kind of weirded out by the idea at first, too, but it actually
works. At first she was prescribed pills, which were a nightmare to
administer. Then, after complaining, she was prescribed liquid, which
was easier but still horrible, she hated it. I complained AGAIN, and
finally she got *transdermal* Prozac, which is a god-send! I love it,
and she doesn't mind it too much. She's prescribed .1ml/day, which is
about 1/2 a pea-size amount that I rub into the non-hairy part of her
ear, while wearing a finger-condom the pharmacy provides. I've
experimented going .1/ml every other day, but she started to pee again.

I can't tell you how much this has changed my life- Aero (the cat) peed
so much, despite anything I did, I cried in frustration- I couldn't
figure out her reason for peeing. The transdermal Prozac is awesome- I
get it from a local compounding center- maybe you could ask your vet
about it?