PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Kitten Behavior


lucy707 via CatKB.com
July 20th 06, 04:13 AM
I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she goes
to sleep, she'll try to nurse on this blanket that I have on my bed. You know,
she'll knead it with her paws and.. suckle on it. It kind of freaks me out. I
know it shouldn't but still. I wonder why would she be doing this? Should I
just chuck it? (the blanket not the cat.) Or what could I do to make her stop?
It makes me feel kind of guilty, like I took her away from her mother and she
misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice? Thanks!

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

lucy707 via CatKB.com
July 20th 06, 04:15 AM
By the way: this hasn't just recently started up. She's been doing it for a
few weeks now. I just now got around to asking about it!

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200607/1

Matthew
July 20th 06, 04:18 AM
it is a thing kittens and cats do they will do it all their life maybe as
long as it is not a fuzzy towel where if the suckle that they will ingest
fuzz it is ok

"lucy707 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> By the way: this hasn't just recently started up. She's been doing it for
> a
> few weeks now. I just now got around to asking about it!
>
> --
> Message posted via CatKB.com
> http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200607/1

Ryan Robbins
July 20th 06, 04:56 AM
"lucy707 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she
>goes
> to sleep, she'll try to nurse on this blanket that I have on my bed. You
> know,
> she'll knead it with her paws and.. suckle on it. It kind of freaks me
> out. I
> know it shouldn't but still. I wonder why would she be doing this? Should
> I
> just chuck it? (the blanket not the cat.) Or what could I do to make her
> stop?
> It makes me feel kind of guilty, like I took her away from her mother and
> she
> misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice?
> Thanks!

This isn't unusual behavior at all. Some cats do this throughout their life.
My parents had a male cat who would suck and knead his baby blanket every
night, dragging it throughout the house as he went.

lucy707 via CatKB.com
July 20th 06, 05:25 AM
Ryan Robbins wrote:
>>I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she
>>goes
>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>> misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice?
>> Thanks!
>
>This isn't unusual behavior at all. Some cats do this throughout their life.
>My parents had a male cat who would suck and knead his baby blanket every
>night, dragging it throughout the house as he went.

aw how cute. this blanket is too bigh for her to drag around this house. :)
thanks for your help!

--
C

Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200607/1

Wendy
July 20th 06, 12:56 PM
"lucy707 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she
>goes
> to sleep, she'll try to nurse on this blanket that I have on my bed. You
> know,
> she'll knead it with her paws and.. suckle on it. It kind of freaks me
> out. I
> know it shouldn't but still. I wonder why would she be doing this? Should
> I
> just chuck it? (the blanket not the cat.) Or what could I do to make her
> stop?
> It makes me feel kind of guilty, like I took her away from her mother and
> she
> misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice?
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Some cats are just blanket suckers. My formerly bottle fed cat will knead me
every time he jumps into my lap. He also kneads the bedding at night and
drools. Who's to figure cats.

She may do less of this as she gets older but I wouldn't be alarmed if she
keeps it up her whole life.

W

July 21st 06, 12:43 AM
my blue point Siamese does "the sucky thing" too but she does it on the
inside of my elbow and kneads my arms! I've always got little hickeys
on my arm. Plus it tickles!

lucy707 via CatKB.com wrote:
> I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she goes
> to sleep, she'll try to nurse on this blanket that I have on my bed. You know,
> she'll knead it with her paws and.. suckle on it. It kind of freaks me out. I
> know it shouldn't but still. I wonder why would she be doing this? Should I
> just chuck it? (the blanket not the cat.) Or what could I do to make her stop?
> It makes me feel kind of guilty, like I took her away from her mother and she
> misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice? Thanks!
>
> --
> Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

lucy707 via CatKB.com
July 22nd 06, 07:43 AM
well i'm glad to know that this isn't abnormal behavior. i was worried that
maybe the people who had her and her siblings just abruptly gave them away
without bothering to ween them or something, or that she was missing her
mother. (which REALLY made me feel guilty.) it wasn't the actual suckling
that bothered me. it was my conscience, you know. thanks for the help!

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com