PDA

View Full Version : bizarre post-poop behavior

Elizabeth Blake
July 20th 06, 05:39 PM
I've had Isaac, who is close to 2 years old according to the shelter, since
early April. He's a very enthusiastic, active cat. He wasn't feeling so
great for the first couple of weeks that I had him but once he got over his
virus/whatever he really perked up. I'd find him zooming around my
apartment, bouncing off walls & furniture early in the morning. His circuit
always took him into my bedroom and across the bed (and me), waking me up
several hours before I wanted to wake up. He still does this and I
*finally* realized that he does is after he poops. His feces look perfectly
normal - not too big, not too small. Not hard, not mushy.

WHY does he do this? He's destroyed many things already while he's
imitating a tornado. If I catch him (literally catch him, as he's
rebounding off a shelf or dresser) he'll let me hold him and hang out. Once
I let him go he will often decide to continue his circuit for a bit. Many
times he's going so fast I can't even get him.

This is only post-poop. Unfortunately he poops at least twice a day.

--
Liz

Sharkman BMW
July 20th 06, 05:50 PM
normal, mine does the same...

quentin
July 20th 06, 05:54 PM
My cat does the same thing too. My theory is they are running away
from their smell ;-)

Sharkman BMW wrote:

> normal, mine does the same...

Buddy
July 20th 06, 06:21 PM
My male cats always do, what I call the poopie dance!! I think it's
the smell too.

quentin wrote:
> My cat does the same thing too. My theory is they are running away
> from their smell ;-)
>
> Sharkman BMW wrote:
>
> > normal, mine does the same...

Magic Mood JeepŠ
July 20th 06, 06:35 PM
A couple of mine do this as well. I figure it's either the smell (which
seems to cling to their fur for a bit), or they're soooo glad to "take a
load off" that they must spread the cheer. Or it could be both - spread the
cheer and the smell - a two-for-one deal :D

One of mine that darts from the litterbox, on occasion when I've witnessed
it, I've hollered after him "What's the matter? Afraid it will try to crawl
back in?"

Buddy wrote:
> My male cats always do, what I call the poopie dance!! I think it's
> the smell too.
>
> quentin wrote:
>> My cat does the same thing too. My theory is they are running away
>> from their smell ;-)
>>
>> Sharkman BMW wrote:
>>
>>> normal, mine does the same...

Ryan Robbins
July 20th 06, 07:05 PM
"Magic Mood JeepŠ" > wrote in message
>A couple of mine do this as well. I figure it's either the smell (which
>seems to cling to their fur for a bit), or they're soooo glad to "take a
>load off" that they must spread the cheer. Or it could be both - spread
>the cheer and the smell - a two-for-one deal :D
>
> One of mine that darts from the litterbox, on occasion when I've witnessed
> it, I've hollered after him "What's the matter? Afraid it will try to
> crawl back in?"

This brings back memories of my Sara, who died of renal failure in April.
Before she got sick, she would poop in her pan and then sprint throughout
the apartment while chirping. She never covered her poop, either. As she
would sprint this way and that way, I'd say, "Stinky! Hey Stinky!" As much
as her atomic turds smelled, I never thought I would say I miss cleaning her
pan :-(

Elizabeth Blake
July 21st 06, 02:03 AM
Thanks for all of the replies! I'm glad thatit's considered normal
behavior. None of my other cats have ever done anything like it. Some of
them might jump out of the box quickly, but they walk away like a civilized
cat. Isaac immediately takes off like a pinball and goes through the
*entire* apartment, making to sure to hit every room. I don't think he
minds the smell, because I'll find him curled up next to the litterbox
sleeping sometimes.

--
Liz

Spot
July 21st 06, 02:05 AM
I have one who does this all the time.

Celeste

"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> I've had Isaac, who is close to 2 years old according to the shelter,
> since
> early April. He's a very enthusiastic, active cat. He wasn't feeling so
> great for the first couple of weeks that I had him but once he got over
> his
> virus/whatever he really perked up. I'd find him zooming around my
> apartment, bouncing off walls & furniture early in the morning. His
> circuit
> always took him into my bedroom and across the bed (and me), waking me up
> several hours before I wanted to wake up. He still does this and I
> *finally* realized that he does is after he poops. His feces look
> perfectly
> normal - not too big, not too small. Not hard, not mushy.
>
> WHY does he do this? He's destroyed many things already while he's
> imitating a tornado. If I catch him (literally catch him, as he's
> rebounding off a shelf or dresser) he'll let me hold him and hang out.
> Once
> I let him go he will often decide to continue his circuit for a bit. Many
> times he's going so fast I can't even get him.
>
> This is only post-poop. Unfortunately he poops at least twice a day.
>
> --
> Liz

Rhonda
July 21st 06, 05:21 AM
Liz,

That is too funny. We have some cats that get incredibly happy and race
through the house post-poop too, but sounds like Isaac is ricocheting
much more than ours. I've always wondered what makes them so happy
afterwards. Walter always said that after they dump their big loads,
they are light-headed.

Rhonda