PDA

View Full Version : New Fancy Feast

Buddy
July 20th 06, 07:54 PM
Has anyone tried the new Fancy Feast "Elegant Medley" yet? There are
several flavors - but the are 89 cents for a small can!!! I bought one
today and my boy liked it.

July 20th 06, 08:48 PM
Buddy wrote:
> Has anyone tried the new Fancy Feast "Elegant Medley" yet? There are
> several flavors - but the are 89 cents for a small can!!! I bought one
> today and my boy liked it.

People really love McDonald's - loving food does not equate always with
what's good on a daily basis.

My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
food inside.

My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
age and die of renal failure.

I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
basis."

Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
Feasts.
It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
that I can determine. In any case, out of the 60 varieties or so, there
are only 2 that I would buy for my cat, Marinated Morsels, Chicken or
Salmon, in Gravy. The other 58 types, give or take a few, they keep
adding and subtracting, I consider expensive garbage. But ubiquitous
garbage, like McDonald's. Clean garbage. Packaged prettily garbage but
garbage for the most part, in my opinion.

Any opinions?

July 20th 06, 09:12 PM
" > wrote:

>My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
>phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
>high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

You seem to have this backwards from the many posts I have seen on
this NG regarding dry matter analysis. Several flavors have very good
phosphorous levels. Some flavors, I agree aren't that good, but some
are excellent. However I do think the protein levels are little too
high for my 16 year old. He's now on MediCal Reduced Protein (renal
diet).

-mhd

PawsForThought
July 20th 06, 09:22 PM
wrote:
> My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
> whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
> not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
> food inside.

Don't you think you're just a tad obsessed about this? Do you really
believe the numbers you read are the actual numbers? Do you really
trust these companies? If I were you, and so concerned with the exact
content of a can of catfood, I would make your own. That way you know
exactly what's in it. You could even send off a sample to have it
analyzed to make sure you have the right proportions.

> My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
> phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
> high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

Now hasn't Phil P posted the particular FF flavors that are okay in the
phos department?

> I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
> cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
> age and die of renal failure.

Phos levels are important, but so is the whole picture. You need to
concentrate not only on phos, but all nutrients of a food, and that
would include the ingredients and where they come from. Do they come
from synthetic vitamins, or is the food naturally nutritious? Are the
ingredients bioavailable to a carnivore? Do they promote health, etc.?
Well, you get the picture.

> I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
> basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
> basis."
>
> Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
> Feasts.
> It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
> that I can determine.

I've never had a problem getting the info from Purina and other
companies <shrug>

> Any opinions?

see above

Buddy
July 20th 06, 09:43 PM
I have fed my cats Fancy Feast exclusively for over 20 years. My last
cat was 20 years and 3 months and never had any type of renal problems.
My original question was in regard to the new Elegant Medely from
Fancy Feast - not to go over all the numbers, etc. AGAIN!

PawsForThought wrote:
> wrote:
> > My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
> > whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
> > not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
> > food inside.
>
> Don't you think you're just a tad obsessed about this? Do you really
> believe the numbers you read are the actual numbers? Do you really
> trust these companies? If I were you, and so concerned with the exact
> content of a can of catfood, I would make your own. That way you know
> exactly what's in it. You could even send off a sample to have it
> analyzed to make sure you have the right proportions.
>
> > My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
> > phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
> > high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.
>
> Now hasn't Phil P posted the particular FF flavors that are okay in the
> phos department?
>
> > I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
> > cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
> > age and die of renal failure.
>
> Phos levels are important, but so is the whole picture. You need to
> concentrate not only on phos, but all nutrients of a food, and that
> would include the ingredients and where they come from. Do they come
> from synthetic vitamins, or is the food naturally nutritious? Are the
> ingredients bioavailable to a carnivore? Do they promote health, etc.?
> Well, you get the picture.
>
> > I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
> > basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
> > basis."
> >
> > Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
> > Feasts.
> > It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
> > that I can determine.
>
> I've never had a problem getting the info from Purina and other
> companies <shrug>
>
> > Any opinions?
>
> see above

Matthew
July 20th 06, 10:05 PM
Now I am one that can vouch that fancy feast has made a difference in my
cat. My Rumble was diagnosed diabetic less than a month ago. I had to
start giving him a shot of insulin twice a day. I changed him over to a
diet of Fancy Feast as suggested by Phil and MaryL. Also they have the
most varieties that have gravy and over all numbers had the closest for
cards with the most variety of gravy products. The diet change brought
Rumble down from a 437 glucose level to 215 in the first week than we
did 2 glucose curve the lowest was 73 and the highest was 143. SO the
diet change got him off the insulin shots and now he is a happy kitty.

I did get all three varieties of the medley the turkey one interested
Rumble the most but the other 2 variety of chicken ones he turned his
nose up at but Ka'Shay are Hemingway kitten tore it up. But .89 cents
for it I pay .40 a can for Fancy feast at Albertsons and the new variety
was $.47; around here they carry the most variety.

July 20th 06, 11:53 PM
wrote:
> " > wrote:
>
> >My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
> >phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
> >high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.
>
> You seem to have this backwards from the many posts I have seen on
> this NG regarding dry matter analysis. Several flavors have very good
> phosphorous levels. Some flavors, I agree aren't that good, but some
> are excellent. However I do think the protein levels are little too
> high for my 16 year old. He's now on MediCal Reduced Protein (renal
> diet).
>
> -mhd

Would you care to explain? How do I have it backwards? Dry matter basis
is the only way to compare foods across the board. Are you sure that
you do not have it "backwards?" We always stress that dry matter basis
is the only way to go. Do not go by As Fed and do not go by Guaranteed.
If you do by As Fed, you convert to dry matter basis by dividing with
the non-moisture content as a whole. This is easy to find because in
the case of FF, it's usually 78% moisture, consequently, 22%
non-moisture.

And I'll stand behind what I said, of the 60 types of FF, only 2 meet
my specifications. If you go by Phil P.'s recommendations, you can go
up to 4 or 5.

So it's not several as much as a very few, around 7% that are low in
phosphorus. Of all the brands I see in the supermarkets, I find only 2
of these 4 or 5 at any one time, so the odds of picking up high
phosphorus is too high.

Matthew
July 21st 06, 12:00 AM
Treeline I don't know your first name so I have to go by your display
MaryL gave me this link you may find it useful if you need a reference
for levels in cat foods
http://www.felinediabetes.com/cat_food_nutrition_canned.htm

This is how I made my final decision on using Fancy Feast for Rumble new
diabetic diet

> wrote in message

>> " > wrote:
>>
>> >My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
>> >phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
>> >high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.
>>
>> You seem to have this backwards from the many posts I have seen on
>> this NG regarding dry matter analysis. Several flavors have very good
>> phosphorous levels. Some flavors, I agree aren't that good, but some
>> are excellent. However I do think the protein levels are little too
>> high for my 16 year old. He's now on MediCal Reduced Protein (renal
>> diet).
>>
>> -mhd
>
> Would you care to explain? How do I have it backwards? Dry matter basis
> is the only way to compare foods across the board. Are you sure that
> you do not have it "backwards?" We always stress that dry matter basis
> is the only way to go. Do not go by As Fed and do not go by Guaranteed.
> If you do by As Fed, you convert to dry matter basis by dividing with
> the non-moisture content as a whole. This is easy to find because in
> the case of FF, it's usually 78% moisture, consequently, 22%
> non-moisture.
>
> And I'll stand behind what I said, of the 60 types of FF, only 2 meet
> my specifications. If you go by Phil P.'s recommendations, you can go
> up to 4 or 5.
>
> So it's not several as much as a very few, around 7% that are low in
> phosphorus. Of all the brands I see in the supermarkets, I find only 2
> of these 4 or 5 at any one time, so the odds of picking up high
> phosphorus is too high.

July 21st 06, 12:04 AM
PawsForThought wrote:
> wrote:
> > My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
> > whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
> > not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
> > food inside.
>
> Don't you think you're just a tad obsessed about this? Do you really
> believe the numbers you read are the actual numbers? Do you really
> trust these companies? If I were you, and so concerned with the exact
> content of a can of catfood, I would make your own. That way you know
> exactly what's in it. You could even send off a sample to have it
> analyzed to make sure you have the right proportions.

I don't trust the companies, especially Purina / Nestle which is very
difficult to get these numbers and the numbers do change as they change
their products. It's not impossible but it takes me many months for
them to finally fess up on all the products.

About being obsessed? I am concerned about the cats and unfortunately
tracking down facts is not a popular item in America, now is it? I
seriously think the majority of cat foods are doing in the cats in the
long. Having high phosphorus for a cat is like having high bad fats for
a human. It gets you in the long run.

> > My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
> > phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
> > high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.
>
> Now hasn't Phil P posted the particular FF flavors that are okay in the
> phos department?

About 5 out of 60 and I have never seen those 5 at any one time in any
supermarket. So that means 55 out of 60 are not okay.

> > I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
> > cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
> > age and die of renal failure.
>
> Phos levels are important, but so is the whole picture. You need to
> concentrate not only on phos, but all nutrients of a food, and that
> would include the ingredients and where they come from. Do they come
> from synthetic vitamins, or is the food naturally nutritious? Are the
> ingredients bioavailable to a carnivore? Do they promote health, etc.?
> Well, you get the picture.
>
> > I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
> > basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
> > basis."
> >
> > Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
> > Feasts.
> > It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
> > that I can determine.
>
> I've never had a problem getting the info from Purina and other
> companies <shrug>

Okay, then post here the phosphorus levels that you are finding? It
took me well over 3 months to get the phosphorus levels for their new
Healthy Weight Management Formula. Those levels were twice what I had
originally been told.

You do have problems getting this info from Purina. Go ahead. Did I not
have this discussion with you previously and challenged you to provide
the phosphorus levels? I won't even go in to pH levels. Someone said
the same thing you just did. I don't have trouble getting info... But I
am not talking generic info like how much fats. I am talking info that
is not on their web site and is not even on their VET web site which is
appalling.

I doubt very, very strongly that Purina puts all that much effort in
producing the same phosphorus levels from month to month and batch to
batch. I just don't think they care and the reason is that you don't
care enough to bug them about it.

So do something. Okay? I won't wish to appear "obsessive" so why don't
you get them to be a little more upfront on what is exactly in their
food?

In the meantime, I will try gather the research about high phosphorus.

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

the above is a simple start on phosphorus and foods. It's not technical
and just lists foods and a link for the update to this year.

July 21st 06, 12:08 AM
Buddy wrote:
> I have fed my cats Fancy Feast exclusively for over 20 years. My last
> cat was 20 years and 3 months and never had any type of renal problems.
> My original question was in regard to the new Elegant Medely from
> Fancy Feast - not to go over all the numbers, etc. AGAIN!

What numbers? Give me some numbers. There are no numbers to go over and
I am not calling Purina and waiting three months as the last time for
the phosphorus level of their Healthy Weight Management Forumla.

I was in a focus group that discussed this before Purina ever dumped it
on the market. You say your cat never had any problems in 20 years and
fed exclusively Fancy Feast.

Okay. How do I know that you do not work for Purina's Marketing
Department?

I am skeptical and I do not believe you. But if you have a few seconds,
enlighten me. I am talking generally. I have seen a cat live over 21
years fed dry food garbage. Sure there exists exceptions. And they are
the exceptions.

July 21st 06, 12:10 AM
Matthew wrote:
> Now I am one that can vouch that fancy feast has made a difference in my
> cat. My Rumble was diagnosed diabetic less than a month ago. I had to
> start giving him a shot of insulin twice a day. I changed him over to a
> diet of Fancy Feast as suggested by Phil and MaryL. Also they have the
> most varieties that have gravy and over all numbers had the closest for
> cards with the most variety of gravy products. The diet change brought
> Rumble down from a 437 glucose level to 215 in the first week than we
> did 2 glucose curve the lowest was 73 and the highest was 143. SO the
> diet change got him off the insulin shots and now he is a happy kitty.

That's good. Whey you have numbers like that, you have to deal with the
immediate problem and not some renal problem way in the future.

And in your case, wet food "solved" the problem and phosphorus is not
going to impact the immediate diabetic crisis.

It's good to know that. I might ask what you were feeding your cat
before Fancy Feast. I would really like to know. Dry food? Common type?

Matthew
July 21st 06, 12:33 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Matthew wrote:
>> Now I am one that can vouch that fancy feast has made a difference in my
>> cat. My Rumble was diagnosed diabetic less than a month ago. I had to
>> start giving him a shot of insulin twice a day. I changed him over to a
>> diet of Fancy Feast as suggested by Phil and MaryL. Also they have
>> the
>> most varieties that have gravy and over all numbers had the closest for
>> cards with the most variety of gravy products. The diet change brought
>> Rumble down from a 437 glucose level to 215 in the first week than we
>> did 2 glucose curve the lowest was 73 and the highest was 143. SO the
>> diet change got him off the insulin shots and now he is a happy
>> kitty.
>
> That's good. Whey you have numbers like that, you have to deal with the
> immediate problem and not some renal problem way in the future.
>
> And in your case, wet food "solved" the problem and phosphorus is not
> going to impact the immediate diabetic crisis.
>
> It's good to know that. I might ask what you were feeding your cat
> before Fancy Feast. I would really like to know. Dry food? Common type?

Both a variety of all wetfood as their main stay they could free feed on
dry food all types mostly 9 lives Whiskas deli cat dry food. I have
one cat that will only eat dry food and he is fit as a fiddle.
Rumble still free feeds but is not to interested in dry food. I have
changed their dry food type to Purina weight control and health urinary
tract. rumble get fancy feast dry food if he wants a treat

Buddy
July 21st 06, 01:49 AM
I have no connection with Fancy Feast other than using it to feed picky
eater kitties for 30 some years. I have no study - I am just a kitty
Mommy. I am telling you that my cats live long lives on FF. You can
believe what ever you want. I have been posting to this list for a
number of months. I just found this new Fancy Feast product today.

wrote:
> Buddy wrote:
> > I have fed my cats Fancy Feast exclusively for over 20 years. My last
> > cat was 20 years and 3 months and never had any type of renal problems.
> > My original question was in regard to the new Elegant Medely from
> > Fancy Feast - not to go over all the numbers, etc. AGAIN!
>
> What numbers? Give me some numbers. There are no numbers to go over and
> I am not calling Purina and waiting three months as the last time for
> the phosphorus level of their Healthy Weight Management Forumla.
>
> I was in a focus group that discussed this before Purina ever dumped it
> on the market. You say your cat never had any problems in 20 years and
> fed exclusively Fancy Feast.
>
> Okay. How do I know that you do not work for Purina's Marketing
> Department?
>
> I am skeptical and I do not believe you. But if you have a few seconds,
> enlighten me. I am talking generally. I have seen a cat live over 21
> years fed dry food garbage. Sure there exists exceptions. And they are
> the exceptions.

stephen stearns
July 21st 06, 03:12 AM
My cat Gypsy Lee Rose..snubbed her nose at it.
I was disappointed at her for not liking it.
She loves Fancy Feast Tuna and Shrimp dinner. Also...The Sardines and
Crab mix.
I gave her some of the new Meow Mix Tuna and Shrimp in the small packs.
She'd love it.
These cats are so fuzzy.
I spend a lot of money on them too.

July 21st 06, 06:05 AM
" > wrote:

wrote:
>> " > wrote:
>>
>> >My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
>> >phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
>> >high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.
>>
>> You seem to have this backwards from the many posts I have seen on
>> this NG regarding dry matter analysis. Several flavors have very good
>> phosphorous levels. Some flavors, I agree aren't that good, but some
>> are excellent. However I do think the protein levels are little too
>> high for my 16 year old. He's now on MediCal Reduced Protein (renal
>> diet).
>>
>> -mhd
>
>Would you care to explain? How do I have it backwards? Dry matter basis
>is the only way to compare foods across the board. Are you sure that
>you do not have it "backwards?" We always stress that dry matter basis
>is the only way to go. Do not go by As Fed and do not go by Guaranteed.
>If you do by As Fed, you convert to dry matter basis by dividing with
>the non-moisture content as a whole. This is easy to find because in
>the case of FF, it's usually 78% moisture, consequently, 22%
>non-moisture.

You misread my post I did not say that your comprehension of dry
matter is backwards, I am saying that you have an opinion of Friskies
that is backwards.

>And I'll stand behind what I said, of the 60 types of FF, only 2 meet
>my specifications. If you go by Phil P.'s recommendations, you can go
>up to 4 or 5.

4 or 5 not good enough for you?

-mhd

Phil P.
July 21st 06, 08:20 AM
> wrote in message
> " > wrote:
>

> wrote:

> >> You seem to have this backwards from the many posts I have seen on
> >> this NG regarding dry matter analysis. Several flavors have very good
> >> phosphorous levels. Some flavors, I agree aren't that good, but some
> >> are excellent. However I do think the protein levels are little too
> >> high for my 16 year old. He's now on MediCal Reduced Protein (renal
> >> diet).
> >>
> >> -mhd
> >
> >Would you care to explain? How do I have it backwards? Dry matter basis
> >is the only way to compare foods across the board. Are you sure that
> >you do not have it "backwards?" We always stress that dry matter basis
> >is the only way to go. Do not go by As Fed and do not go by Guaranteed.
> >If you do by As Fed, you convert to dry matter basis by dividing with
> >the non-moisture content as a whole. This is easy to find because in
> >the case of FF, it's usually 78% moisture, consequently, 22%
> >non-moisture.
>
> You misread my post I did not say that your comprehension of dry
> matter is backwards, I am saying that you have an opinion of Friskies
> that is backwards.
>
> >And I'll stand behind what I said, of the 60 types of FF, only 2 meet
> >my specifications. If you go by Phil P.'s recommendations, you can go
> >up to 4 or 5.
>
> 4 or 5 not good enough for you?
>
> -mhd

I wouldn't take anything "Treeline" says too seriously- he's a tad OCD and
seriously anal. He criticized the The Flintstones as if it was a
documentary. You know the saying "a little knowledge can be dangerous"....

Fanct Feast has makes about a dozen diets that have acceptable to very good
phosphorus levels. These are some of them:

Marinated Beef Feast:.......0.18% (AF) - 0.81% (DMB)
Marinated Chicken Feast:.0.09% (AF) - 0.40% (DMB)
Marinated Salmon Feast:..0.13% (AF) - 0.59% (DMB)
Grilled Chicken Feast:......0.18% (AF) - 0.81% (DMB)
Grilled Turkey Feast:........0.21% (AF) - 0.95% (DMB)
Grilled Tuna Feast:...........0.18% (AF) - 0.81% (DMB)
Minced Beef Feast:..........0.17% (AF) - 0.77% (DMB)
Sliced Beef Feast:............0.17% (AF) - 0.77% (DMB)
Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast: 0.18% (AF) - 0.81% (DMB)
Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast: 0.21% (AF) - 0.95% (DMB)
Seafood Filets Tuna & Oceanfish in Aspic: 0.16% (AF) - 0.72% (DMB)

Its true most Science Diet products have excellent nutrient values- but it
doesn't matter how perfectly formulated a diet is if the cat won't eat it-
What good are "perfect" nutrient levels if the cat won't eat it and dies of
malnutrition or FHL??? Maybe someday Treeline will learn its more important
to treat the cat than the numbers....

Phil P.
July 21st 06, 08:20 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I don't trust the companies, especially Purina / Nestle which is very
> difficult to get these numbers

LOL! I got all the proximate analyses for all their diets in about 30
seconds- If you babble on the phone with the pet food companies as much as
you babble here, I'm amazed if you get any information at all! If I was a
company rep I'd hang up on you after 10 seconds or I'd put you on hold until
I punched out and went home!

Phil P.
July 21st 06, 08:21 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

We always stress that dry matter basis
> is the only way to go.

Actually, the caloric basis is the only way to go- since the amount of
nutrients that the cat actually receives from the food depends on the amount
of food the cat consumes. The dry matter basis is only used for comparing
nutrient values between canned food and dry food- not the actual amount of
the nutrients the cat consumes. "50% protein DMB" means nothing. You want
to know how many grams of a nutrient a cat actually consumes in a given
amount of food.

Stop confusing people with your mindless anal blabber.

July 27th 06, 09:58 PM
I'm still waiting for one of the major food companies to put out a dry
food without corn and wheat gluten. Purina Pro Plan did, but they
removed it from the line. Iams has a good line but unless you start your
cat on it, for some reason they walk away from the plate.

Is the Elegant Medley line dry or wet food or both?

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Buddy wrote:
>> Has anyone tried the new Fancy Feast "Elegant Medley" yet? There are
>> several flavors - but the are 89 cents for a small can!!! I bought
one
>> today and my boy liked it.
>
> People really love McDonald's - loving food does not equate always with
> what's good on a daily basis.
>
> My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
> whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
> not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
> food inside.
>
> My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
> phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
> high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.
>
> I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
> cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
> age and die of renal failure.
>
> I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
> basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
> basis."
>
> Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
> Feasts.
> It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
> that I can determine. In any case, out of the 60 varieties or so, there
> are only 2 that I would buy for my cat, Marinated Morsels, Chicken or
> Salmon, in Gravy. The other 58 types, give or take a few, they keep
> adding and subtracting, I consider expensive garbage. But ubiquitous
> garbage, like McDonald's. Clean garbage. Packaged prettily garbage but
> garbage for the most part, in my opinion.
>
> Any opinions?

Buddy
July 27th 06, 10:53 PM
It is wet. I think it is supposed to be "gourmet". I only tried one
can - it was roasted chicken with gravy and garden greens - or
something like that. My cat loved it. They all have some sort of
green vegetable in them. Nice for a treat or for a kitty who doesn't
want to eat.

wrote:
> I'm still waiting for one of the major food companies to put out a dry
> food without corn and wheat gluten. Purina Pro Plan did, but they
> removed it from the line. Iams has a good line but unless you start your
> cat on it, for some reason they walk away from the plate.
>
> Is the Elegant Medley line dry or wet food or both?
>

> " > wrote in
> ups.com:
>
> > Buddy wrote:
> >> Has anyone tried the new Fancy Feast "Elegant Medley" yet? There are
> >> several flavors - but the are 89 cents for a small can!!! I bought
> one
> >> today and my boy liked it.
> >
> > People really love McDonald's - loving food does not equate always with
> > what's good on a daily basis.
> >
> > My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
> > whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
> > not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
> > food inside.
> >
> > My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
> > phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
> > high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.
> >
> > I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
> > cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
> > age and die of renal failure.
> >
> > I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
> > basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
> > basis."
> >
> > Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
> > Feasts.
> > It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
> > that I can determine. In any case, out of the 60 varieties or so, there
> > are only 2 that I would buy for my cat, Marinated Morsels, Chicken or
> > Salmon, in Gravy. The other 58 types, give or take a few, they keep
> > adding and subtracting, I consider expensive garbage. But ubiquitous
> > garbage, like McDonald's. Clean garbage. Packaged prettily garbage but
> > garbage for the most part, in my opinion.
> >
> > Any opinions?

Kraut
July 28th 06, 01:42 AM
> Has anyone tried the new Fancy Feast "Elegant Medley" yet? There are
> several flavors - but the are 89 cents for a small can!!! I bought
>one today and my boy liked it.

Two of mine loved it and two preferred the nine lives.

July 31st 06, 10:52 PM
yep, i bought trial packages - 2 for 1 package (2 cans in a package -
sold at local san jose petsmart for ridiculous price of $0.68 per
package) - my cats loved it. we have tried already wild salmon fare,
yellowfin tuna (both shredded and not). i bought two of each variety
the store had.

would like to buy some more (as the local store ran out of it) -
nowhere online - except for
http://www.thehungrypuppy.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=fancyfeast-elegant-medleys-canned
but shipping cost is horrendous.