PDA

View Full Version : How to keep a cat indoors?

bertoiaj
July 20th 06, 10:57 PM
I know that this may be too late, but I have a young cat (9 months old)
who I regret has gotten into the habit of going out at night: my
father has let her out and now come 10 PM she gets very insistant about
going out. I worry about her, as we live in a wooded area with
potential wild animals around....I have tried to keep her in but come 3
AM or so, she gets very insistant and keeps waking me until I let her
out. I am in Canada, so I know that come winter she will definately
learn to stay indoors then...is there anything I can do? I try
playing with her at 8-9 PM to get her tired....do I lock her in the
basement, where I can't hear her mews? BTW she is neutered.

Any advice, ideas would be appreciated.

JIm

Matthew
July 20th 06, 11:14 PM
ENDURE don't waiver if you give in the furball will still want to go out
you have to deal with them as a small child if it takes putting the
furball in the basement do so as long as the furball is not in danger

"bertoiaj" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I know that this may be too late, but I have a young cat (9 months old)
> who I regret has gotten into the habit of going out at night: my
> father has let her out and now come 10 PM she gets very insistant about
> going out. I worry about her, as we live in a wooded area with
> potential wild animals around....I have tried to keep her in but come 3
> AM or so, she gets very insistant and keeps waking me until I let her
> out. I am in Canada, so I know that come winter she will definately
> learn to stay indoors then...is there anything I can do? I try
> playing with her at 8-9 PM to get her tired....do I lock her in the
> basement, where I can't hear her mews? BTW she is neutered.
>
> Any advice, ideas would be appreciated.
>
> JIm

Ryan Robbins
July 21st 06, 04:29 AM
"bertoiaj" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I know that this may be too late, but I have a young cat (9 months old)
> who I regret has gotten into the habit of going out at night: my
> father has let her out and now come 10 PM she gets very insistant about
> going out. I worry about her, as we live in a wooded area with
> potential wild animals around....I have tried to keep her in but come 3
> AM or so, she gets very insistant and keeps waking me until I let her
> out. I am in Canada, so I know that come winter she will definately
> learn to stay indoors then...is there anything I can do?

Don't let her out.

Rhonda
July 21st 06, 05:24 AM
She has you trained. The more you give in, the more she knows you will
give in.

Pretend she's a child. You have to be stronger. It make take some loss
of sleep, but it will be worth it.

We took in a stray once who insisted he was an outside cat. It took a
couple of weeks before he decided inside was okay.

Good luck,

Rhonda

bertoiaj wrote:
> I know that this may be too late, but I have a young cat (9 months old)
> who I regret has gotten into the habit of going out at night: my
> father has let her out and now come 10 PM she gets very insistant about
> going out. I worry about her, as we live in a wooded area with
> potential wild animals around....I have tried to keep her in but come 3
> AM or so, she gets very insistant and keeps waking me until I let her
> out. I am in Canada, so I know that come winter she will definately
> learn to stay indoors then...is there anything I can do? I try
> playing with her at 8-9 PM to get her tired....do I lock her in the
> basement, where I can't hear her mews? BTW she is neutered.
>
> Any advice, ideas would be appreciated.
>
> JIm

asnowykitten
July 21st 06, 09:48 AM
bertoiaj wrote:
> I know that this may be too late, but I have a young cat (9 months old)
> who I regret has gotten into the habit of going out at night: my
> father has let her out and now come 10 PM she gets very insistant about
> going out. I worry about her, as we live in a wooded area with
> potential wild animals around....I have tried to keep her in but come 3
> AM or so, she gets very insistant and keeps waking me until I let her
> out. I am in Canada, so I know that come winter she will definately
> learn to stay indoors then...is there anything I can do? I try
> playing with her at 8-9 PM to get her tired....do I lock her in the
> basement, where I can't hear her mews? BTW she is neutered.
>
> Any advice, ideas would be appreciated.
>
> JIm

You have to be the parent when it comes to your cat going outside. I
had the same problem with mine. When our senior cat passed away the
other two demanded they be let out all the time.But the vet told us of
the dangers of the cat being outside.After about a month of trying to
sneak out without them running towards the door they finally got used
to it.They dont like it but they are use to it.The older male we have
we let out when were outside with the dog.He stays on the porch and
eats grass. Then when were ready to go in,he eitehr goes in on his own
or we pick him up and put him in.Cats like to mark their territory even
if they are fixed I got a tree stump and brought it in for the cats it
sits next to their cat scratcher and they love it!They scratch their
nails on it and rub all over it.Your cat will adjust but it will take a
bit of time .Just be ready at the door if your heading out to catch
her.Good luck to you!!