PDA

View Full Version : CRF in a 3-year old cat.

Ad0rez
July 21st 06, 12:07 AM
After a recent move to Colorado, my precious burmese cat experienced
difficulty breathing (what looked like a seizure) - took him to the vet
immediately, a bunch of tests were run - it was determined he had high blood
pressure and was put on medication for this (evidently, the altitude
sickness from moving to this area caused the problem to come to the surface,
according to the vet); anyways, more tests were run and it was determined
that my cat had kidney disease. He is going in next week for exploratory
tests to determine what stage the disease is in; the vet thinks he has an
autoimmune disorder (not FIV), and gave my cat anywhere from 1-8 years with
treatment. Needless to say, I am depressed that my young cat has to go
through all this pain, with daily IV and what not..... Any words of
advice - most stuff on the net is geared towards the older cats, why did my
cat get this at such a young age? Any hope on him living a
somewhat-comfortable life?

Gail
July 21st 06, 12:42 AM
Many of us on this newsgroup have had cats with CRF, but most of them were
older cats. It would be important to find out what the autoimmune disease
is, if there is one. Your cat can live a comfortable life with CRF, though.
Diet is important (there is prescription food for kidney disease) and also
hydrations. There is a yahoo group for CRF cats. It would be good to join
it. Here is the URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FelineCRF/
Gail

"Ad0rez" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> After a recent move to Colorado, my precious burmese cat experienced
> difficulty breathing (what looked like a seizure) - took him to the vet
> immediately, a bunch of tests were run - it was determined he had high
> blood pressure and was put on medication for this (evidently, the altitude
> sickness from moving to this area caused the problem to come to the
> surface, according to the vet); anyways, more tests were run and it was
> determined that my cat had kidney disease. He is going in next week for
> exploratory tests to determine what stage the disease is in; the vet
> thinks he has an autoimmune disorder (not FIV), and gave my cat anywhere
> from 1-8 years with treatment. Needless to say, I am depressed that my
> young cat has to go through all this pain, with daily IV and what not.....
> Any words of advice - most stuff on the net is geared towards the older
> cats, why did my cat get this at such a young age? Any hope on him living
> a somewhat-comfortable life?

Ryan Robbins
July 21st 06, 04:28 AM
"Ad0rez" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
>Needless to say, I am depressed that my young cat has to go through all
>this pain, with daily IV and what not..... Any words of advice - most
>stuff on the net is geared towards the older cats, why did my cat get this
>at such a young age? Any hope on him living a somewhat-comfortable life?

Subcutaneous fluid injections aren't painful, although your cat may object
to the procedure at first. It took my Sara a few weeks before she became
comfortable with the process. She just didn't like being told what to do.
Plus, the more you do the procedure, the better you'll become at it, which
will help also.