PDA

View Full Version : Looks like it's the end for Al

mdsu
July 21st 06, 03:01 AM
I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung cancer.
I've had
Al 14 years. I got him from a shelter in Ohio on Aug 2, 1992. At the
time I got
him the shelter staff estimated Al's age at between 1-2 years. So Al is
between
15-16 years old.

He has diabetes, asthma, and hyperthyroidism. Despite these maladies,
I've taken
good care of him and he has hung in there very well until now.

A few weeks ago I noticed Al was limping. Yesterday I took him to the
vet for
x-rays. The vet called me this morning to say they found no evidence of any
injury to Al's limbs. But the x-ray caught part of his lung. And the
radiologist
who reviewed the x-rays is convinced that there is a mass in Al's lungs.
The vet
said if Al does have the type of cancer they have in mind, then it is not
unusual for it to metastasize to the limbs. That fact, if true, would
explain
Al's limp. Al has also been more lethargic of late, and wheezing a bit
more than
usual. Those symptoms are also consistent with him having cancer, or so
the vet
tells me. I'm going to take Al back to the vet on Monday for a chest
x-ray. But
I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst.

This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also my
buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
very
difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
when I have
to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
concern is
that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.

Rich

Gail
July 21st 06, 03:06 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Al. He is much loved.
Gail
"mdsu" > wrote in message
>I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung cancer.
> I've had
> Al 14 years. I got him from a shelter in Ohio on Aug 2, 1992. At the
> time I got
> him the shelter staff estimated Al's age at between 1-2 years. So Al is
> between
> 15-16 years old.
>
> He has diabetes, asthma, and hyperthyroidism. Despite these maladies,
> I've taken
> good care of him and he has hung in there very well until now.
>
> A few weeks ago I noticed Al was limping. Yesterday I took him to the
> vet for
> x-rays. The vet called me this morning to say they found no evidence of
> any
> injury to Al's limbs. But the x-ray caught part of his lung. And the
> radiologist
> who reviewed the x-rays is convinced that there is a mass in Al's lungs.
> The vet
> said if Al does have the type of cancer they have in mind, then it is not
> unusual for it to metastasize to the limbs. That fact, if true, would
> explain
> Al's limp. Al has also been more lethargic of late, and wheezing a bit
> more than
> usual. Those symptoms are also consistent with him having cancer, or so
> the vet
> tells me. I'm going to take Al back to the vet on Monday for a chest
> x-ray. But
> I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst.
>
> This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also
> my
> buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
> very
> difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
> when I have
> to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
> concern is
> that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.
>
> Rich

Candace
July 21st 06, 03:38 AM
mdsu wrote:

> This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also my
> buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
> very
> difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
> when I have
> to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
> concern is
> that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.
>
> Rich

I'm sorry, Rich. It's always a hard decision to have to make and hard
to know exactly when. Most of us here have gone through it, maybe
several times, like me. Even if Al does have cancer, they may be able
to provide him with some palliative care that will keep him comfortable
for awhile longer. If you think he still has joy in life, it is
probably not time yet. I hope you and your buddy have some more
quality time together, just make every minute count.

Candace

Ad0rez
July 21st 06, 04:07 AM
"mdsu" > wrote in message
>I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung cancer.
> I've had
> Al 14 years. I got him from a shelter in Ohio on Aug 2, 1992. At the
> time I got
> him the shelter staff estimated Al's age at between 1-2 years. So Al is
> between
> 15-16 years old.

I'm so very very sorry for both you and Al. Your cat has been lucky to have
you as an owner; at least he will be in a more comfortable place soon.

Rhonda
July 21st 06, 05:27 AM
Wow, I'm sorry you got that news.

Sounds like you love your cat very much. He's lucky to have you taking
care of him.

Hope there's a miracle and he feels good enough to be with your for awhile.

Rhonda

mdsu wrote:
> I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung cancer.

mdsu
July 21st 06, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the support. It's much appreciated. I'll let you know how
things turn out.

Rich

Buddy
July 21st 06, 10:58 AM
Did they do blood work? The limping can be a sign of kidney failure.

mdsu wrote:
> Thanks for the support. It's much appreciated. I'll let you know how
> things turn out.
>
> Rich

Fred Williams
July 21st 06, 12:40 PM
On July 20, 2006 10:01 pm, mdsu wrote:

> I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung
> cancer. I've had
> Al 14 years. I got him from a shelter in Ohio on Aug 2, 1992. At the
> time I got
> him the shelter staff estimated Al's age at between 1-2 years. So Al
> is between
> 15-16 years old.
>
> He has diabetes, asthma, and hyperthyroidism. Despite these maladies,
> I've taken
> good care of him and he has hung in there very well until now.
>
> A few weeks ago I noticed Al was limping. Yesterday I took him to the
> vet for
> x-rays. The vet called me this morning to say they found no evidence
> of any injury to Al's limbs. But the x-ray caught part of his lung.
> And the radiologist
> who reviewed the x-rays is convinced that there is a mass in Al's
> lungs. The vet
> said if Al does have the type of cancer they have in mind, then it is
> not unusual for it to metastasize to the limbs. That fact, if true,
> would explain
> Al's limp. Al has also been more lethargic of late, and wheezing a bit
> more than
> usual. Those symptoms are also consistent with him having cancer, or
> so the vet
> tells me. I'm going to take Al back to the vet on Monday for a chest
> x-ray. But
> I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst.
>
> This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's
> also my buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life
> during some very
> difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
> when I have
> to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
> concern is
> that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.

We know you'll see that he's as comfortable as possible for his trip to
the bridge and he'll have you holding him as another comfort. With
such widespread cancer this is really the best solution for Al. He's
been fortunate to have a friend such as you and I'm sure he knows this.
May Bast Bless you both.

Cats: Diana, Ryan, and Cinnamon.

--
Regards,
Fred

Charlie Wilkes
July 21st 06, 03:45 PM
Very sad times, Rich. These animals are so important to us, and it's
not fair that they have such short lifespans. But you rescued him
from a cage and gave him a happy life, and that really counts for
something.

Charlie

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:01:25 -0400, mdsu > wrote:

>I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung cancer.
>I've had
>Al 14 years. I got him from a shelter in Ohio on Aug 2, 1992. At the
>time I got
>him the shelter staff estimated Al's age at between 1-2 years. So Al is
>between
>15-16 years old.
>
>He has diabetes, asthma, and hyperthyroidism. Despite these maladies,
>I've taken
>good care of him and he has hung in there very well until now.
>
>A few weeks ago I noticed Al was limping. Yesterday I took him to the
>vet for
>x-rays. The vet called me this morning to say they found no evidence of any
>injury to Al's limbs. But the x-ray caught part of his lung. And the
>radiologist
>who reviewed the x-rays is convinced that there is a mass in Al's lungs.
>The vet
>said if Al does have the type of cancer they have in mind, then it is not
>unusual for it to metastasize to the limbs. That fact, if true, would
>explain
>Al's limp. Al has also been more lethargic of late, and wheezing a bit
>more than
>usual. Those symptoms are also consistent with him having cancer, or so
>the vet
>tells me. I'm going to take Al back to the vet on Monday for a chest
>x-ray. But
>I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst.
>
>This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also my
>buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
>very
>difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
>when I have
>to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
>concern is
>that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.
>
>Rich

Meowmie Carol
July 21st 06, 03:59 PM
I am so sorry, Rich. I know this is a very difficult time for you and
Al. My thoughts are with you. You and Al were so good for each other,
a gentle cat and a compassionate soul.
mdsu wrote:
> I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung cancer.
> I've had
> Al 14 years. I got him from a shelter in Ohio on Aug 2, 1992. At the
> time I got
> him the shelter staff estimated Al's age at between 1-2 years. So Al is
> between
> 15-16 years old.
>
> He has diabetes, asthma, and hyperthyroidism. Despite these maladies,
> I've taken
> good care of him and he has hung in there very well until now.
>
> A few weeks ago I noticed Al was limping. Yesterday I took him to the
> vet for
> x-rays. The vet called me this morning to say they found no evidence of any
> injury to Al's limbs. But the x-ray caught part of his lung. And the
> radiologist
> who reviewed the x-rays is convinced that there is a mass in Al's lungs.
> The vet
> said if Al does have the type of cancer they have in mind, then it is not
> unusual for it to metastasize to the limbs. That fact, if true, would
> explain
> Al's limp. Al has also been more lethargic of late, and wheezing a bit
> more than
> usual. Those symptoms are also consistent with him having cancer, or so
> the vet
> tells me. I'm going to take Al back to the vet on Monday for a chest
> x-ray. But
> I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst.
>
> This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also my
> buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
> very
> difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
> when I have
> to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
> concern is
> that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.
>
> Rich

Countess Katzenplatzen
July 21st 06, 04:18 PM
> This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also my
> buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
> very
> difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
> when I have
> to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
> concern is
> that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.
>
> Rich

Oh man, I am so sorry. Keeping my fingers crossed that Al rallys.

Dan

mdsu
July 22nd 06, 12:36 AM
Buddy wrote:
> Did they do blood work? The limping can be a sign of kidney failure.
>

> mdsu wrote:
>> Thanks for the support. It's much appreciated. I'll let you know how
>> things turn out.
>>
>> Rich

No. I'll ask about it when I go back to the vet on Monday. But either
way, the news isn't good.

Rich

mdsu
July 22nd 06, 12:38 AM
All of you have written such nice messages. Again, I really appreciate
the support! I'll post a message on Monday or Tuesday when I have more
information. In the meantime, I'm spending lots of quality time with Al.

Rich

Zippy
July 22nd 06, 05:58 PM
mdsu wrote:
> All of you have written such nice messages. Again, I really appreciate
> the support! I'll post a message on Monday or Tuesday when I have more
> information. In the meantime, I'm spending lots of quality time with Al.
>
> Rich

Rich,
My best to you.
These little guys get into our hearts and it hurts to let them go.
I still grieve over losing our orance & white cat, Lucky in January.
Lucky had attributes that I cherish -- independence, grace, beauty,
and devotion.
Zippy

Stormmee
July 23rd 06, 03:41 PM
we are all sad for you, Tiger for his house
mdsu > wrote in message
> I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung cancer.
> I've had
> Al 14 years. I got him from a shelter in Ohio on Aug 2, 1992. At the
> time I got
> him the shelter staff estimated Al's age at between 1-2 years. So Al is
> between
> 15-16 years old.
>
> He has diabetes, asthma, and hyperthyroidism. Despite these maladies,
> I've taken
> good care of him and he has hung in there very well until now.
>
> A few weeks ago I noticed Al was limping. Yesterday I took him to the
> vet for
> x-rays. The vet called me this morning to say they found no evidence of
any
> injury to Al's limbs. But the x-ray caught part of his lung. And the
> radiologist
> who reviewed the x-rays is convinced that there is a mass in Al's lungs.
> The vet
> said if Al does have the type of cancer they have in mind, then it is not
> unusual for it to metastasize to the limbs. That fact, if true, would
> explain
> Al's limp. Al has also been more lethargic of late, and wheezing a bit
> more than
> usual. Those symptoms are also consistent with him having cancer, or so
> the vet
> tells me. I'm going to take Al back to the vet on Monday for a chest
> x-ray. But
> I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst.
>
> This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also
my
> buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
> very
> difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
> when I have
> to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
> concern is
> that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.
>
> Rich

mdsu
July 24th 06, 02:48 PM
Hi all. I got back from the vet a little while ago. She took a couple
x-rays of Al's lungs and confirmed he has terminal cancer. I'm very sad,
but the news was expected. It's not Al's time yet, so at least he'll be
with me a while longer. He is eating, still plays with me a bit, and
enjoys being pet. He also still shows interest when he hears a bird at
the window. I expect towards the end he'll go downhill quickly. I'll
know when it's time and Al will let me know too.

It's going to be very hard on me when I have to put him down. But I
don't want him to suffer. Al has had a good life despite his various
maladies (diabetes, asthma, etc.). And I've taken very good care of him.
I have been so lucky to have had Al. He is as sweet and gentle a cat as
you'd ever want to meet.

Rich

Matthew
July 24th 06, 03:48 PM
I am so sorry Rich
Savory every moment Al is in the best hands possible yours

"mdsu" > wrote in message
> Hi all. I got back from the vet a little while ago. She took a couple
> x-rays of Al's lungs and confirmed he has terminal cancer. I'm very sad,
> but the news was expected. It's not Al's time yet, so at least he'll be
> with me a while longer. He is eating, still plays with me a bit, and
> enjoys being pet. He also still shows interest when he hears a bird at the
> window. I expect towards the end he'll go downhill quickly. I'll know when
> it's time and Al will let me know too.
>
> It's going to be very hard on me when I have to put him down. But I don't
> want him to suffer. Al has had a good life despite his various maladies
> (diabetes, asthma, etc.). And I've taken very good care of him. I have
> been so lucky to have had Al. He is as sweet and gentle a cat as you'd
> ever want to meet.
>
> Rich

-L.
July 24th 06, 04:37 PM
mdsu wrote:
> Hi all. I got back from the vet a little while ago. She took a couple
> x-rays of Al's lungs and confirmed he has terminal cancer. I'm very sad,
> but the news was expected. It's not Al's time yet, so at least he'll be
> with me a while longer. He is eating, still plays with me a bit, and
> enjoys being pet. He also still shows interest when he hears a bird at
> the window. I expect towards the end he'll go downhill quickly. I'll
> know when it's time and Al will let me know too.
>
> It's going to be very hard on me when I have to put him down. But I
> don't want him to suffer. Al has had a good life despite his various
> maladies (diabetes, asthma, etc.). And I've taken very good care of him.
> I have been so lucky to have had Al. He is as sweet and gentle a cat as
> you'd ever want to meet.
>
> Rich

He may surprise you, Rich. My dog was given days, weeks - and lived 9
months. The will to live is amazing, sometimes. I'm sorry for his
diagnosis - like my vet said to me, "give him lots of love each day."

-L.

Candace
July 24th 06, 07:07 PM
mdsu wrote:

> It's going to be very hard on me when I have to put him down. But I
> don't want him to suffer. Al has had a good life despite his various
> maladies (diabetes, asthma, etc.). And I've taken very good care of him.
> I have been so lucky to have had Al. He is as sweet and gentle a cat as
> you'd ever want to meet.
>
> Rich

I'm very sorry, Rich. I hope the time is longer than you think. Al is
lucky to have had you, too, as you have given him a wonderful life. I
know you will make his remaining time special.

Candace

Stormmee
July 25th 06, 11:25 PM
I am sure he feels as blessed as you do to have shared your lives, I am
truly sorry for your situation, purrs from our house, Lee