PDA

View Full Version : More litterbox problems

Ivan Mascovich
July 21st 06, 12:47 PM
I have an 11 yr (alpha) male and female. About a year ago the female
started to go outside the box. It turned out she had an infection. After
antibiotics, the infection went away but she is still going outside the
box.

I changed boxes. I switched to the sawdust litter. I changed the location
of the box. It is clean enough for me to use.

She'll right next to the box. She'll go in the closests. She'll go in any
clothes lying around...and I find feces in odd corners of the house.

She is now on behavior modifying drugs but this does not appear to help.

Any ideas???

The male uses the box.

jmc
July 21st 06, 01:41 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Ivan Mascovich exclaimed (21-Jul-06 9:17 PM):
> I have an 11 yr (alpha) male and female. About a year ago the female
> started to go outside the box. It turned out she had an infection. After
> antibiotics, the infection went away but she is still going outside the
> box.
>
> I changed boxes. I switched to the sawdust litter. I changed the location
> of the box. It is clean enough for me to use.
>
> She'll right next to the box. She'll go in the closests. She'll go in any
> clothes lying around...and I find feces in odd corners of the house.
>
> She is now on behavior modifying drugs but this does not appear to help.
>
> Any ideas???
>
> The male uses the box.

If the male is alpha then the first thing I'd try is give her her own
box. And perhaps get some feliway, sounds like she may have an anxiety
issue.

jmc

Wendy
July 21st 06, 02:11 PM
"Ivan Mascovich" > wrote in message
>I have an 11 yr (alpha) male and female. About a year ago the female
> started to go outside the box. It turned out she had an infection. After
> antibiotics, the infection went away but she is still going outside the
> box.
>
> I changed boxes. I switched to the sawdust litter. I changed the location
> of the box. It is clean enough for me to use.
>
> She'll right next to the box. She'll go in the closests. She'll go in any
> clothes lying around...and I find feces in odd corners of the house.
>
> She is now on behavior modifying drugs but this does not appear to help.
>
> Any ideas???
>
> The male uses the box.

If the drugs aren't helping then get her off of them.

How long ago did she have urinary tract problems? Did you change her diet?
If it's been a while you might want to get the urine tested again just to
make sure she isn't having problems again. If you haven't changed to a food
that is easier on her urinary tract, consider doing that. Was it crystals
they found in the urine before or what?

As others have said, add a litter box. If your box is covered then take the
cover off. If it doesn't have a cover, try one.

Use enzyme cleaner to eradicate the smell from where she's gone before.

If push comes to shove, confine her in a smaller space with her box, food
and water (and no second cat) and see if she uses the box there. If she
does, it might be the other cat is giving her a hard time when she's in the
box.

Try cat attract litter.

Get a Feliway (comfort zone) diffuser and try using that. They are available
online for a lot less than you'll have to pay at Pet Smart. Try Valley Vet
or Care-A-Lot Pets.

Gail
July 21st 06, 02:16 PM
Yes, you need at least two boxes for two cats. No hood and use unscented,
scooping litter.
Gail
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Ivan Mascovich exclaimed (21-Jul-06 9:17 PM):
>> I have an 11 yr (alpha) male and female. About a year ago the female
>> started to go outside the box. It turned out she had an infection. After
>> antibiotics, the infection went away but she is still going outside the
>> box.
>>
>> I changed boxes. I switched to the sawdust litter. I changed the location
>> of the box. It is clean enough for me to use.
>>
>> She'll right next to the box. She'll go in the closests. She'll go in any
>> clothes lying around...and I find feces in odd corners of the house.
>>
>> She is now on behavior modifying drugs but this does not appear to help.
>>
>> Any ideas???
>>
>> The male uses the box.
>>

> If the male is alpha then the first thing I'd try is give her her own box.
> And perhaps get some feliway, sounds like she may have an anxiety issue.
>
> jmc

Ivan Mascovich
July 24th 06, 03:00 AM

> How long ago did she have urinary tract problems? Did you change her
> diet? If it's been a while you might want to get the urine tested
> again just to make sure she isn't having problems again. If you
> haven't changed to a food that is easier on her urinary tract,
> consider doing that. Was it crystals they found in the urine before or
> what?

It it was about 8 months ago when it was detected. She got anti-biotics and
it was clean a month ago. She is now eat prescription diet.