PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Cats are driving me crazy!!!

Thunder Lord
July 22nd 06, 03:48 AM
Hi Everyone.

I have two cats in a privately rented house close to two major roads
and more beyond those.

They have been used to coming and going through a cat flap. I had them
vaccinated, I.D. Chipped and Spayed when I was at my last place. We had
lots of fields and woods and endless safe exploring and
Getting-Up-To-Who-Knows-What territory.

Here there are two main roads that form a cross roads. There is also a
rising trend where I now live for lads with Pit Bulls and Bull Mastiffs
and other aggressive dog breeds to set their dogs on cats or catch cats
and throw them to their dogs to rip the cat apart for their
entertainment, sick! probably sadistic serial killers in waiting!

It's been quite warm and sticky lately with temperatures in the
mid-90.F range. I open the front and back bedroom windows to allow the
air to circulate, I don't like a bedroom to hot or too cold.

The problem is, that the back room window opened out from bottom to top
and from the window ledge it's a short hop on to the flat roof of the
extension. All the houses here have them in one form or another. I wont
allow the cats in the bedrooms. They have regular flea, tick and worm
prevention treatments but they both have the most infuriating problem
of selective and inappropriate soiling - they find something they like
the smell of, a pillow slip, a quilt, door mat, clothing left by the
washing machine and one of them will pee on it. Sometimes it's like
marking - just a spot but other times it can be a bladder full.
Thankfully they are both female so no male cat urine/spray odour -
unpleasant all the same. I have a spray bottle of something called
"Simple Solution" it smells strongly of Almonds (Which I love but cats
hate!) and has the appropriate enzymes to break down the components of
cat urine, removes the smell and the stain - IT REALLY DOSE WORK!!!

I can't keep the bedroom doors closed otherwise air doesn't circulate.
I picked up a fantastic tip from a cat behaviour book that cats HATE
walking and sitting on Aluminium Foil ("Tin Foil" or "Baking Foil" in
the UK - daft cause there's no Tin in it!). Cats also wont walk on
double sided adhesive tape, but you can't put that down everywhere.

The Aluminium Foil things works. If there is a surface I don't want the
cats walking over, I'll cover it with Aluminium Foil. I even made a
roll of double news paper sheets with foil glued with a glue stick to
the news paper and it's the entire length and width of the stairs. That
should stop them but there is no accounting for the call of the wild!
They will battle up the stairs, trying to push aside the foil but I
hear them. I just shout "DOWN!!!" (Off or Out) and they know what it
means!

Tonight, however. I couldn't be bothered fannying about with baking
foil and news paper so I set up a few flat packed boxes from the move
as a barricade on the stairs.

The little buggers! they both totally and stealthily got over it, I
hadn't a clue until one cat came home. The other was on the flat roof
and over a wall and on another roof. I tried calling her, rattling a
fork and an opened can of food, rattling a box of crunchies and even
dancing a spot of red light from a lazer pointer they both try to catch
sometimes.

I might as well have not been there, not a single bit of notice did she
take, it was so infuriating. The whole thing is maddening as hell. They
know and remember my reaction if I catch them in the bedrooms or on the
stairs, they turn round and run like hell. SO WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING
IT???

You can't get it to stick like you can with dogs.

Short of chicken wire across the window I don't know what else to try.
I can't put locks on the internal doors - tenancy agreement and they
are not heavy, the cats can jump up and push them open easily.

Should I surrender?

cybercat
July 22nd 06, 01:35 PM
"Thunder Lord" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Hi Everyone.
>
> I have two cats in a privately rented house close to two major roads
> and more beyond those.
>
> They have been used to coming and going through a cat flap. I had them
> vaccinated, I.D. Chipped and Spayed when I was at my last place. We had
> lots of fields and woods and endless safe exploring and
> Getting-Up-To-Who-Knows-What territory.
>
> Here there are two main roads that form a cross roads. There is also a
> rising trend where I now live for lads with Pit Bulls and Bull Mastiffs
> and other aggressive dog breeds to set their dogs on cats or catch cats
> and throw them to their dogs to rip the cat apart for their
> entertainment, sick! probably sadistic serial killers in waiting!

Keep your cats in you silly mf.

MaryL
July 23rd 06, 02:21 AM
> [...]
> and over a wall and on another roof. I tried calling her, rattling a
> fork and an opened can of food, rattling a box of crunchies and even
> dancing a spot of red light from a lazer pointer they both try to catch
> sometimes.
>
> I might as well have not been there, not a single bit of notice did she
> take, it was so infuriating. The whole thing is maddening as hell. They
> know and remember my reaction if I catch them in the bedrooms or on the
> stairs, they turn round and run like hell. SO WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING
> IT???
>
> You can't get it to stick like you can with dogs.
>
> Short of chicken wire across the window I don't know what else to try.
> I can't put locks on the internal doors - tenancy agreement and they
> are not heavy, the cats can jump up and push them open easily.

What is your basic question? Are you trying to set up some screening that
will prevent your cats from getting outside? If so, one member of this
group posted information about installing screens *inside* the existing
screens, which created a stronger barrier. I think I could locate the link
she posted. Or are you trying to set up a system that will prevent your
cats from getting inside your bedroom, yet permit the door to remain open
for air circulation. If so, there are som child-type gates (double height)
that are designed to keep cats out. You need the type with mesh (squares)
and not just parallel bars for cats.

MaryL

Sandra Loosemore
July 23rd 06, 03:50 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> writes:

> What is your basic question? Are you trying to set up some screening that
> will prevent your cats from getting outside?

I noted that the OP is posting from an address in the UK. I've heard
that window screens, which we all take for granted in the US, are
basically unknown in Europe. Sounds like that's the problem.

-Sandra the cynic

MaryL
July 23rd 06, 04:18 AM
"Sandra Loosemore" > wrote in message
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> writes:
>
>> What is your basic question? Are you trying to set up some screening
>> that
>> will prevent your cats from getting outside?
>
> I noted that the OP is posting from an address in the UK. I've heard
> that window screens, which we all take for granted in the US, are
> basically unknown in Europe. Sounds like that's the problem.
>
> -Sandra the cynic

Thanks. I had noticed that the OP was posting from the UK, so I thought the
site I mentioned could show the idea but not necessarily the actual source.
However, I didn't know that window screens might not even be available in
his location.

MaryL

angel
July 23rd 06, 05:14 PM
Thunder Lord wrote:
> Hi Everyone.

Hello

pussy drives me crazy all the time

The moral of your story is...

don't lose your head over a pussy

if you're going to play with pussy, be ready for pussy to drive you
crazy

specially the kind that runs in and out all the ****ing time

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
July 23rd 06, 09:15 PM
Fellow-poster from the UK here, Thunder.

Have another word with your Landlord. Ask him if you can put up some CatAire
screens for the indoor windows and catproof fencing outdoors. Give him or her
an assurance that you will restore the fencing and windows to their original
state before you leave.

Secure-a-Cat and Purrfect fence come in kits that go in front of existing
fencing. It sounds as though you're in a high crime area and the increased
security this could bring may be a persuasive argument to put to your
Landlord.

The soiling of your clothes is probably anxiety related. Normally, when cats
do this on an owner's worn clothes, it is when he or she is absent (a form of
separation anxiety). You sound as though you're doing the right things but
I'd keep them away from the areas they've soiled for several weeks to break
the association. Anything you can think of to increase their feeling of
security would help. When did you first notice this behaviour, can you
identify a trigger? Did it follow a period of your absence, or their stay in
a cattery?

A lot of useful advice in the other posts, Thunder, but I'd also suggest a
couple of packs of door wedges. Use at least two under your bedroom door;
that should keep the cats out and you can keep the door slightly ajar at
least. And some earplugs, things will get worse for a few weeks before they
get better.

http://www.cataire.co.uk/
http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/
http://www.davidhurst.btinternet.co.uk/Cat_Proof_Garden.htm