PDA

View Full Version : Cleaners and Asthma

cybercat
July 22nd 06, 01:34 PM
We spot-clean the few rugs we have with different spray-on cleaners that
normally require blotting with a clean damp sponge to remove the cleaner
after the spot has been treated.

So we are talking and my little tabby slithers over and starts sniffing a
recently treated spot--and within ten seconds has an asthma attack. My
husband says he blotted it well, too. I'm tossing it. Come to think of it, I
there is a definite correlation between when I stopped using a cleaning
service and Gracie's asthma AND EGC improved. Must have been something in
the cleaners they used.

On the good side, she recovered quickly and conquered her headless rubber
snake with great enthusiasm and delivered him at my feet with many anguished
howls just ten minutes later. :)

Barb
July 22nd 06, 04:52 PM
I use Resolve for spot cleaning and Natures Miracle as a topper. Have had
no problem. Also use a carpet cleaning service and they treat the carpet
with stain resistor.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

cybercat
July 22nd 06, 07:13 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
rio.net...
> I use Resolve for spot cleaning and Natures Miracle as a topper. Have had
> no problem. Also use a carpet cleaning service and they treat the carpet
> with stain resistor.

Do you have asthmatic cats?

Spot
July 23rd 06, 01:49 AM
I had an asthmatic cat years ago and just about any cleaner I used would set
her into an asthma attack. I ended up having to cleaning with nothing but
mild dish soap and vinegar when ever I cleaned.

Celeste

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Barb" > wrote in message
> rio.net...
>> I use Resolve for spot cleaning and Natures Miracle as a topper. Have
>> had
>> no problem. Also use a carpet cleaning service and they treat the carpet
>> with stain resistor.
>>

> Do you have asthmatic cats?

MaryL
July 23rd 06, 02:24 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> We spot-clean the few rugs we have with different spray-on cleaners that
> normally require blotting with a clean damp sponge to remove the cleaner
> after the spot has been treated.
>
> So we are talking and my little tabby slithers over and starts sniffing a
> recently treated spot--and within ten seconds has an asthma attack. My
> husband says he blotted it well, too. I'm tossing it. Come to think of it,
> there is a definite correlation between when I stopped using a cleaning
> service and Gracie's asthma AND EGC improved. Must have been something in
> the cleaners they used.
>
> On the good side, she recovered quickly and conquered her headless rubber
> snake with great enthusiasm and delivered him at my feet with many
> anguished
> howls just ten minutes later. :)

I use spot cleaner that I buy directly from the ChemDry carpet cleaning
company. Do you have one close to you? If so, it might be worth trying. I
have never had a cat with asthma, but this cleaner has virtually no odor.
Unlike most other cleaners, it also does not leave residue to pick up still
more dirt when a person walks across it.

MaryL

Barb
July 24th 06, 01:08 AM
No, I don't have asthmatic cats.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Rhonda
July 24th 06, 01:50 AM
Wowsers, that's amazing that smells can trigger an attack. I'm glad you
stopped the cleaning service! That never would have occurred to me.

Happy scents to Gracie,

Rhonda

cybercat wrote:
> We spot-clean the few rugs we have with different spray-on cleaners that
> normally require blotting with a clean damp sponge to remove the cleaner
> after the spot has been treated.
>
> So we are talking and my little tabby slithers over and starts sniffing a
> recently treated spot--and within ten seconds has an asthma attack. My
> husband says he blotted it well, too. I'm tossing it. Come to think of it, I
> there is a definite correlation between when I stopped using a cleaning
> service and Gracie's asthma AND EGC improved. Must have been something in
> the cleaners they used.
>
> On the good side, she recovered quickly and conquered her headless rubber
> snake with great enthusiasm and delivered him at my feet with many anguished
> howls just ten minutes later. :)

cybercat
July 24th 06, 02:17 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Wowsers, that's amazing that smells can trigger an attack. I'm glad you
> stopped the cleaning service! That never would have occurred to me.
>
> Happy scents to Gracie,

Thank you, Rhonda. She is fine today. She dispatched the snake
three times today. :)

Rhonda
July 24th 06, 05:51 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Wowsers, that's amazing that smells can trigger an attack. I'm glad you
>>stopped the cleaning service! That never would have occurred to me.
>>
>>Happy scents to Gracie,
>>

> Thank you, Rhonda. She is fine today. She dispatched the snake
> three times today. :)

What a good cat! Gotta keep track of those snakes.

Rhonda