PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Illness

Susierenee
July 25th 06, 01:25 PM
Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
bite. And I thank you for your responses.

I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
with outdoor stray or homeless cats.

There is a terrible sneezing, that goes on and on and on. And the
symptoms are ike the worst sinus infection you've ever seen -- huge
globs of thick yellow green snot coming out of the nose when they
sneeze, sometimes with blood in it. I have been floored at how such big
globs can come out of that little tiny nose! I've just finished a
course of antibiotics for Jack, the Clavamox someone mentioned on
another thread, and I do think that he is sneezing less. And when he
does sneeze, less is coming out. This is why I haven't had him neutered
yet, because the vets won't do it if the cat is sick.

I've been told that this illness can be very hard to get rid of. I've
also wondered whether it's more prevalent in some areas of the country
than others -- we are in rural Kansas.

I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this
ailment.

+Jeri, Susie, and Jack

July 25th 06, 02:49 PM
Hi Guys

I do not know much about cats but you might want to try changing
his/her diet. I know alot of dogs with allergies that have switched to
Solid old dog food and the dogs are fine now. They also have a Feline
product line which i have a freind who uses for his old cat and they
love it. They have seen an improvement in behavior etc...I myself use
Solid Gold for my dog. There is also a new great resource that I found
online called greenpaw.com ...it is a great place to get info on
natural animal wellness. they also have forums where you can post this
question under the Cat section...and its free to sign up..

Let me know how it goes

Chris

Susierenee wrote:
> Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
> bite. And I thank you for your responses.
>
> I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
> with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
> with outdoor stray or homeless cats.
>
> There is a terrible sneezing, that goes on and on and on. And the
> symptoms are ike the worst sinus infection you've ever seen -- huge
> globs of thick yellow green snot coming out of the nose when they
> sneeze, sometimes with blood in it. I have been floored at how such big
> globs can come out of that little tiny nose! I've just finished a
> course of antibiotics for Jack, the Clavamox someone mentioned on
> another thread, and I do think that he is sneezing less. And when he
> does sneeze, less is coming out. This is why I haven't had him neutered
> yet, because the vets won't do it if the cat is sick.
>
> I've been told that this illness can be very hard to get rid of. I've
> also wondered whether it's more prevalent in some areas of the country
> than others -- we are in rural Kansas.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this
> ailment.
>
> +Jeri, Susie, and Jack

angel
July 25th 06, 02:54 PM
Susierenee wrote:
> Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
> bite. And I thank you for your responses.
>
> I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
> with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
> with outdoor stray or homeless cats.

It could be cat Aids, or FIV, which is contagious to other cats but not
to humans.

July 25th 06, 03:15 PM

Susierenee wrote:
> Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
> bite. And I thank you for your responses.
>
> I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
> with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
> with outdoor stray or homeless cats.
>
> There is a terrible sneezing, that goes on and on and on. And the
> symptoms are ike the worst sinus infection you've ever seen -- huge
> globs of thick yellow green snot coming out of the nose when they
> sneeze, sometimes with blood in it. I have been floored at how such big
> globs can come out of that little tiny nose! I've just finished a
> course of antibiotics for Jack, the Clavamox someone mentioned on
> another thread, and I do think that he is sneezing less. And when he
> does sneeze, less is coming out. This is why I haven't had him neutered
> yet, because the vets won't do it if the cat is sick.
>
> I've been told that this illness can be very hard to get rid of. I've
> also wondered whether it's more prevalent in some areas of the country
> than others -- we are in rural Kansas.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this
> ailment.
>
> +Jeri, Susie, and Jack

Matthew
July 25th 06, 03:52 PM
What did your vet say after he did a full work up and a sample of the
mucus.

"Susierenee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
> bite. And I thank you for your responses.
>
> I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
> with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
> with outdoor stray or homeless cats.
>
> There is a terrible sneezing, that goes on and on and on. And the
> symptoms are ike the worst sinus infection you've ever seen -- huge
> globs of thick yellow green snot coming out of the nose when they
> sneeze, sometimes with blood in it. I have been floored at how such big
> globs can come out of that little tiny nose! I've just finished a
> course of antibiotics for Jack, the Clavamox someone mentioned on
> another thread, and I do think that he is sneezing less. And when he
> does sneeze, less is coming out. This is why I haven't had him neutered
> yet, because the vets won't do it if the cat is sick.
>
> I've been told that this illness can be very hard to get rid of. I've
> also wondered whether it's more prevalent in some areas of the country
> than others -- we are in rural Kansas.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this
> ailment.
>
> +Jeri, Susie, and Jack

RB
July 25th 06, 03:53 PM
Susierenee wrote:
> Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
> bite. And I thank you for your responses.
>
> I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
> with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
> with outdoor stray or homeless cats.
>
> There is a terrible sneezing, that goes on and on and on. And the
> symptoms are ike the worst sinus infection you've ever seen -- huge
> globs of thick yellow green snot coming out of the nose when they
> sneeze, sometimes with blood in it. I have been floored at how such big
> globs can come out of that little tiny nose! I've just finished a
> course of antibiotics for Jack, the Clavamox someone mentioned on
> another thread, and I do think that he is sneezing less. And when he
> does sneeze, less is coming out. This is why I haven't had him neutered
> yet, because the vets won't do it if the cat is sick.
>
> I've been told that this illness can be very hard to get rid of. I've
> also wondered whether it's more prevalent in some areas of the country
> than others -- we are in rural Kansas.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this
> ailment.
>
> +Jeri, Susie, and Jack

If your cat has been biting, and also that ill, It is very likely that
there is a connection. If your cat is not feeling well, it is going to
be irritable just as are people.
This sounds like a case for a vet to look at and not a bunch of
bloggers to try to decipher.
I have found a good site for information about behavior at
http://www.whydoesmycatdothat.com
It is an ebook that is very informative. I did not know, nor could I
find half of what is in this book. One thing that is recommended, is
that if there are health problems, don't attempt to diagnose them on
your own. For behavior, go to the above website. To take care of your
cat's health, take your cat to the vet for a thorough check up. My
lecture is over.

RB

Buddy
July 25th 06, 05:10 PM
Did you take Jack to a vet for this problem? Or did you just medicate
him from what you have read on the website? If you went to the vet -
what was his diagnosis? Cats get all sorts of diseases if they aren't
immunized and are out with other cats. I would take him back to the
vet now that is hasn't cleared up and the
medicine is gone.

Susierenee wrote:[i]
> Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
> bite. And I thank you for your responses.
>
> I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
> with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
> with outdoor stray or homeless cats.
>
> There is a terrible sneezing, that goes on and on and on. And the
> symptoms are ike the worst sinus infection you've ever seen -- huge
> globs of thick yellow green snot coming out of the nose when they
> sneeze, sometimes with blood in it. I have been floored at how such big
> globs can come out of that little tiny nose! I've just finished a
> course of antibiotics for Jack, the Clavamox someone mentioned on
> another thread, and I do think that he is sneezing less. And when he
> does sneeze, less is coming out. This is why I haven't had him neutered
> yet, because the vets won't do it if the cat is sick.
>
> I've been told that this illness can be very hard to get rid of. I've
> also wondered whether it's more prevalent in some areas of the country
> than others -- we are in rural Kansas.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this
> ailment.
>
> +Jeri, Susie, and Jack

Ann
July 25th 06, 06:38 PM
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 05:25:25 -0700, Susierenee wrote:

> Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
> bite. And I thank you for your responses.
>
> I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
> with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
> with outdoor stray or homeless cats.
>
> There is a terrible sneezing, that goes on and on and on. And the
> symptoms are ike the worst sinus infection you've ever seen -- huge
> globs of thick yellow green snot coming out of the nose when they
> sneeze, sometimes with blood in it. I have been floored at how such big
> globs can come out of that little tiny nose! I've just finished a
> course of antibiotics for Jack, the Clavamox someone mentioned on
> another thread, and I do think that he is sneezing less. And when he
> does sneeze, less is coming out. This is why I haven't had him neutered
> yet, because the vets won't do it if the cat is sick.
>
> I've been told that this illness can be very hard to get rid of. I've
> also wondered whether it's more prevalent in some areas of the country
> than others -- we are in rural Kansas.

What probably happened is that he first got one of the common cat upper
respiratory viruses ... similar to a human cold. Then what sometimes
happens to humans happened to the cat ... he got a bacterial infection on
top of the virus. (The gross yellow/green snot is from the bacterial
infection.) Sinus infections can be difficult to completely clear up in
cats (and in humans, for that matter). But with luck, the antibiotic the
vet prescribed will do it. It may be unusual in Kansas, but sinus
infections in cats are not unusual where summers are hot and humid.

> I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this
> ailment.
>
> +Jeri, Susie, and Jack

Susierenee
July 25th 06, 09:02 PM
Thank you to all of you have replied.....

Yes, I took Jack to the vet as soon as I'd brought him indoors. He was
tested for FIV and feline leukemia, and both results were negative. He
was given all of the basic immunizations/vaccinations. The vet at that
time said he had "a bit of a cold," and he gave me the Clavamox.

It's time now for his booster shots. I am taking him for those this
week, and I will have the vet assess him for the sneezing crud. As I
said, he is better -- but it isn't entirely cleared up. So, I will stay
on top of it.

Again, thanks!

+Jeri

Ann wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 05:25:25 -0700, Susierenee wrote:
>
> > Hi -- I wrote in last evening re my newly adopted cat who tends to
> > bite. And I thank you for your responses.
> >
> > I'd like to follow up be asking whether any of you who are familiar
> > with cats know anything about an illness, disease, etc. that is common
> > with outdoor stray or homeless cats.
> >
> > There is a terrible sneezing, that goes on and on and on. And the
> > symptoms are ike the worst sinus infection you've ever seen -- huge
> > globs of thick yellow green snot coming out of the nose when they
> > sneeze, sometimes with blood in it. I have been floored at how such big
> > globs can come out of that little tiny nose! I've just finished a
> > course of antibiotics for Jack, the Clavamox someone mentioned on
> > another thread, and I do think that he is sneezing less. And when he
> > does sneeze, less is coming out. This is why I haven't had him neutered
> > yet, because the vets won't do it if the cat is sick.
> >
> > I've been told that this illness can be very hard to get rid of. I've
> > also wondered whether it's more prevalent in some areas of the country
> > than others -- we are in rural Kansas.
>
> What probably happened is that he first got one of the common cat upper
> respiratory viruses ... similar to a human cold. Then what sometimes
> happens to humans happened to the cat ... he got a bacterial infection on
> top of the virus. (The gross yellow/green snot is from the bacterial
> infection.) Sinus infections can be difficult to completely clear up in
> cats (and in humans, for that matter). But with luck, the antibiotic the
> vet prescribed will do it. It may be unusual in Kansas, but sinus
> infections in cats are not unusual where summers are hot and humid.
>
> > I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this
> > ailment.
> >
> > +Jeri, Susie, and Jack

Rhonda
July 26th 06, 05:51 AM
Kitty cold viruses can be pretty intense, but they usually don't last
real long. Once they have the virus in their systems they normally
become carriers, then will get the "cold" now and again when they get
stressed.

We have a cold virus here in our cats too. One of them will have a
flare-up every couple of years. The biggest problem we've had is if they
don't want to eat. If they can't smell, they won't eat. We had one cat I
had to syringe-feed for a few days because of that. The virus eventually
ran its course and he was fine.

None of our cats had blood in the mucous, what did the vet say about
that? Is Jack just breaking blood vessels from sneezing so hard?

One thing you want to check too is if his teeth are all okay. Have the
vet do a thorough exam of them. Sometimes a tooth infection can infect
the sinuses and be hard to find.

Good luck! If it is one of the regular cold virus, I've found it's
really more of a nuisance for the cat than anything else (just like it
is for humans.)

Rhonda