PDA

View Full Version : Please help my listless and vomiting cat.


Helen
July 26th 06, 05:46 AM
Hello,

My cat Luxor is two years old, and is normally a very healthy and
active (indoor) cat. (He's a Norweigan Forest mix, if that helps at
all.) For the past week (approximately 5 days), he has been throwing
up a brown liquid, and not eating at all. At the beginning of the
week, he had very foul-smelling diarrhea. We tried to wash off his
fur, but there is still a terrible odour.

We are very concerned, because he is rapidly becoming bony. He also
seems very depressed, just curling up in a corner, not moving when food
is put out...although he did drink a little bit of water. What we are
suspecting is that he ate some styrofoam padding we had in the basement
recently...we see big chunks of it missing, but it's not turning up in
the vomit or his discharge. My husband suspects he has stopped pooping.
(We have two cats, and the other is as healthy as a horse.) Perhaps
Luxor is not the brightest kitty, but we really love him, and wonder
what we can do to get him to eat again.

Thank you for any feedback. We'd like to hear if there's anything we
can do at home, because we can't afford vet bills right now.

Helen

Stacey Weinberger
July 26th 06, 06:19 AM
This list while does give advice on occasion is no substitute for a vet. If
your cat is that ill the responses you are going to get is to take him to a
vet, no matter what anyone's guess is. If he is getting bony and is that
ill he will probably die unless you don't. Some vets have payment plans.
If you care about your cat you'll do more than post to a newsgroup. Not
giving him proper treatment is neglect and abuse. Your choice, you take him
to the vet or you end up with a dead cat and YOU have to live with that.

Stacey


"Helen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> My cat Luxor is two years old, and is normally a very healthy and
> active (indoor) cat. (He's a Norweigan Forest mix, if that helps at
> all.) For the past week (approximately 5 days), he has been throwing
> up a brown liquid, and not eating at all. At the beginning of the
> week, he had very foul-smelling diarrhea. We tried to wash off his
> fur, but there is still a terrible odour.
>
> We are very concerned, because he is rapidly becoming bony. He also
> seems very depressed, just curling up in a corner, not moving when food
> is put out...although he did drink a little bit of water. What we are
> suspecting is that he ate some styrofoam padding we had in the basement
> recently...we see big chunks of it missing, but it's not turning up in
> the vomit or his discharge. My husband suspects he has stopped pooping.
> (We have two cats, and the other is as healthy as a horse.) Perhaps
> Luxor is not the brightest kitty, but we really love him, and wonder
> what we can do to get him to eat again.
>
> Thank you for any feedback. We'd like to hear if there's anything we
> can do at home, because we can't afford vet bills right now.
>
> Helen
>

Alison
July 26th 06, 01:29 PM
Helen ,
You MUST take your cat to the vet. He is very sick indeed and suffering.
He will die if he doesn't have veterinary attention ASAP.
Alison

--
Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
http://doginfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
"Helen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> My cat Luxor is two years old, and is normally a very healthy and
> active (indoor) cat. (He's a Norweigan Forest mix, if that helps at
> all.) For the past week (approximately 5 days), he has been throwing
> up a brown liquid, and not eating at all. At the beginning of the
> week, he had very foul-smelling diarrhea. We tried to wash off his
> fur, but there is still a terrible odour.
>
> We are very concerned, because he is rapidly becoming bony. He also
> seems very depressed, just curling up in a corner, not moving when food
> is put out...although he did drink a little bit of water. What we are
> suspecting is that he ate some styrofoam padding we had in the basement
> recently...we see big chunks of it missing, but it's not turning up in
> the vomit or his discharge. My husband suspects he has stopped pooping.
> (We have two cats, and the other is as healthy as a horse.) Perhaps
> Luxor is not the brightest kitty, but we really love him, and wonder
> what we can do to get him to eat again.
>
> Thank you for any feedback. We'd like to hear if there's anything we
> can do at home, because we can't afford vet bills right now.
>
> Helen
>

Kraut
July 26th 06, 01:44 PM
Why would anyone supposedly in their right mind let a cat go that long
in the condition it is in ?!?!?!?! Have you ever heard of animal
cruelty laws ?!?!?!? If you can not afford to care for this cat give
it up to someone who can and will. Do not make it suffer because of
your stupidity !!!! I think I would rather see it put down then made
to suffer the way it is !!!! If I knew who you were I would turn you
in to the authorities myself !!!

What if your parents would have treated you when you were growing up
the way you are treating this pet which you supposedly care for.


> You MUST take your cat to the vet. He is very sick indeed and suffering.
>He will die if he doesn't have veterinary attention ASAP.


>>
>> My cat Luxor is two years old, and is normally a very healthy and
>> active (indoor) cat. (He's a Norweigan Forest mix, if that helps at
>> all.) For the past week (approximately 5 days), he has been throwing
>> up a brown liquid, and not eating at all. At the beginning of the
>> week, he had very foul-smelling diarrhea. We tried to wash off his
>> fur, but there is still a terrible odour.
>>
>> We are very concerned, because he is rapidly becoming bony. He also
>> seems very depressed, just curling up in a corner, not moving when food
>> is put out...although he did drink a little bit of water. What we are
>> suspecting is that he ate some styrofoam padding we had in the basement
>> recently...we see big chunks of it missing, but it's not turning up in
>> the vomit or his discharge. My husband suspects he has stopped pooping.
>> (We have two cats, and the other is as healthy as a horse.) Perhaps
>> Luxor is not the brightest kitty, but we really love him, and wonder
>> what we can do to get him to eat again.
>>
>> Thank you for any feedback. We'd like to hear if there's anything we
>> can do at home, because we can't afford vet bills right now.
>>

Matthew
July 26th 06, 05:24 PM
Why the [email protected] do people come to the newsgroups and post their stupidity.
Well with all the reality shows on TV I think I can understand why but
how can any person that loves their animal ever put them at risk. If this
was a child you would be in jail right now for Child abuse. When is
humanity going to wake the hell up and realize their stupidity

Take the cat to the VET you [email protected] half wit

Willie
July 26th 06, 11:56 PM
Holy Christ, you people are not doing animals any favours by being
abusive and spewing
vitriol at this poster. Some of you at least offered possible causes
for this cat's sickness, and other just launched personal attacks and
insults without knowing the whole story.
It's understandable you want to encourage the person to take the cat to
the vet. You can say so firmly and with conviction WITHOUT resorting
to ugly name calling. Save that for someone who can't even be arsed to
ASK FOR HELP ON A CAT FORUM, instead just kicking the poor thing til it
dies. You people are so judgemental of people and their problems, you
think that it's okay to be cruel (and you are being excessively cruel)
to someone who (within a quick period of time) has sought advice in the
right place. Perhaps after any home remedies failed, she or he would
have taken the cat to the emergency clinic, or given him away. What do
you people do when your vet is away or sick, or you live very far from
one? Just sit there and not seek any alternative help?

Come on, don't make yourselves ugly and make animal rights activists
look like some foul-mouthed *******s.


Matthew wrote:
> Why the [email protected] do people come to the newsgroups and post their stupidity.
> Well with all the reality shows on TV I think I can understand why but
> how can any person that loves their animal ever put them at risk. If this
> was a child you would be in jail right now for Child abuse. When is
> humanity going to wake the hell up and realize their stupidity
>
> Take the cat to the VET you [email protected] half wit

Matthew
July 27th 06, 12:14 AM
"Willie" > wrote in message

ARE WE VETS? ARE YOU A VET ?


Can you magically tell what is wrong with a cat over the internet by hearing
what some one says.a person who loves there animal does not come to a
newsgroup to find out what is wrong with their cat after they described
symptoms that a person would have called 911 over. If it was child they
would be in jail

Since you have e-address never posted here and have no idea what you are
talking about here. People of the cat newsgroups are tired of useless
waste of life's coming to the newsgroups to find out what you should be
taking a animal to the vet over. If you can't understand that you are just
as bad as they are