PDA

View Full Version : Cat in heat but will not mate...what to do?


July 26th 06, 04:24 PM
I have an 11 month old Himmie that I am trying to mate at a reputable
breeder. This is the 2nd time I have attempted to do this and she will
not cooperate. As soon as I bring her to the breeder, she is
affectionate withher, but she will not have any part of the stud and
starts hissing and hiding. Has anyone heard of this? Should I just give
up? Please help. Thanks!

cybercat
July 26th 06, 04:34 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have an 11 month old Himmie that I am trying to mate at a reputable
> breeder. This is the 2nd time I have attempted to do this and she will
> not cooperate. As soon as I bring her to the breeder, she is
> affectionate withher, but she will not have any part of the stud and
> starts hissing and hiding. Has anyone heard of this? Should I just give
> up? Please help. Thanks!
>

Here's one suggestion:

go here:

http://tinyurl.com/zuqqh

cybercat
July 26th 06, 04:48 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I have an 11 month old Himmie that I am trying to mate at a reputable
> > breeder. This is the 2nd time I have attempted to do this and she will
> > not cooperate. As soon as I bring her to the breeder, she is
> > affectionate withher, but she will not have any part of the stud and
> > starts hissing and hiding. Has anyone heard of this? Should I just give
> > up? Please help. Thanks!
> >
>
> Here's one suggestion:
>
> go here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/zuqqh
>

Seems my link did not work.

Try this one:

http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/adoption_rescue/69908.html

It is the web site for Little Orphan Angels Animal Rescue, Inc., right
there in Keller, Texas. Put in your zip code and it gives you pictures
of cats, including one that looks like a purebred Bengal, that need
homes. 7,000 others will be euthanized this week nationwide
for lack of a home.

Then maybe spay your kitty and go adopt one.

angel
July 26th 06, 04:57 PM
wrote:
> I have an 11 month old Himmie that I am trying to mate at a reputable
> breeder. This is the 2nd time I have attempted to do this and she will
> not cooperate. As soon as I bring her to the breeder, she is
> affectionate withher, but she will not have any part of the stud and
> starts hissing and hiding. Has anyone heard of this? Should I just give
> up? Please help. Thanks!

How much does it cost to have her spayed? prolly cheaper to have her
spayed than pay a breeder. (extra money means extra time at the mall)

plus you wont have to deal with all the begging she is doing..

gotten any sleep lately? muuu hahaha

just get her spayed dawn...
when you consider all the facts about homeless cats, you wouldn't
hesitate to to get her spayed. no-one condemns you for celebrating life
and propogating a unique breed.. but in practice.. it adds to the
homeless problem.

someone will buy your kitten, the kitten will grow up neglected, get
knocked up, have a litter in the bushes... then those babies will grow
up diseased.. get knocked up by dey brother.. etc....

many many people in this group give of their time and money to local
shelters, they have seen the homeless problem close up

the odds are against a successful containment if you breed her

besides why would you want to breed your cat, it's just going to
shorten her life
after the male TAXES THAT ASS

cybercat
July 26th 06, 05:01 PM
"angel" > wrote:
> the odds are against a successful containment if you breed her
>
> besides why would you want to breed your cat, it's just going to
> shorten her life
> after the male TAXES THAT ASS
>

Have something on our mind today, do we?

Toni
July 26th 06, 06:06 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have an 11 month old Himmie that I am trying to mate at a reputable
> breeder. This is the 2nd time I have attempted to do this and she will
> not cooperate. As soon as I bring her to the breeder, she is
> affectionate withher, but she will not have any part of the stud and
> starts hissing and hiding. Has anyone heard of this? Should I just give
> up? Please help. Thanks!
>


Have you spoken to your cats breeder about the situation?
Has the cat had a pre breeding checkup to rule out physical issues?

Every potential breeder (you) needs a mentor to advise them on things like
this, as well as other considerations a breeder needs to explore when
planning a litter. The breeder of your cat is the best candidate as your
mentor as they are familiar with the breeding behind your animal, health
issues within your breed, and as an objective judge of your cats suitability
as regards breeding quality. They can also be a valuable resource for
referrals when you are screening homes and doing your pre placement spays
and neuters, and God knows you will need them there for birthing
difficulties and the initial weeks of very delicate kittens lives. Without a
knowledgeable breeder helping you to breed responsibly, you will be just one
more kitten producer filling an already over full world with more cats.

Sometimes mother nature denies breedings for a reason, and having an
experienced breeder guide you through sometimes difficult decisions can help
you to understand what doing the right thing really is.


--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

dgk
July 26th 06, 08:47 PM
On 26 Jul 2006 08:24:05 -0700, wrote:

>I have an 11 month old Himmie that I am trying to mate at a reputable
>breeder. This is the 2nd time I have attempted to do this and she will
>not cooperate. As soon as I bring her to the breeder, she is
>affectionate withher, but she will not have any part of the stud and
>starts hissing and hiding. Has anyone heard of this? Should I just give
>up? Please help. Thanks!

Maybe she's gay.

cybercat
July 27th 06, 12:49 AM
"Toni" > wrote > http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm
>

Wow, the Feb. 2006 photo of the red cat standing up and scratching, is that
Renfield? I actually took a while and looked at the photo where they are
babies, assuming you listed their names in the order the cats appear, then I
think it is.

That is the coolest picture of his markings! I am saving it to my "cats"
folder and want to put the right name with the picture!

All your cats are gorgeous but his coat is a work of art.

Toni
July 27th 06, 01:40 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> Wow, the Feb. 2006 photo of the red cat standing up and scratching, is
> that
> Renfield? I actually took a while and looked at the photo where they are
> babies, assuming you listed their names in the order the cats appear, then
> I
> think it is.
>
> That is the coolest picture of his markings! I am saving it to my "cats"
> folder and want to put the right name with the picture!
>
> All your cats are gorgeous but his coat is a work of art.


That "classic tabby" is Rochester- actually "The Marquis Rochester von
Cearbhaill".
And I love that photo as well!! I keep meaning to get a better shot of him
in that pose- someday!!

"Renfield the First Duke of Cearbhaill" is the mackeral, or tiger tabby.
It took my husband a week to tell them apart, but their faces are very
different, too.

Thanks for looking, and yes we spend way too much time thinking up pet
names.


--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

Toni
July 27th 06, 06:14 PM
"Toni" > wrote in message
...
>
> That "classic tabby" is Rochester- actually "The Marquis Rochester von
> Cearbhaill".



I'm so lame that I have to correct myself even though I know full well that
nobody cares <G>

Poor darling Rochester is "The Viscount Rochester von Cearbhaill".... not a
Marquis at all.



--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

cybercat
July 27th 06, 06:50 PM
"Toni" > wrote in message
.. .
>
> "Toni" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > That "classic tabby" is Rochester- actually "The Marquis Rochester von
> > Cearbhaill".
>
>
>
> I'm so lame that I have to correct myself even though I know full well
that
> nobody cares <G>
>
> Poor darling Rochester is "The Viscount Rochester von Cearbhaill".... not
a
> Marquis at all.
>
>
>
He's gorgeous. Is he a rescue?

cybercat
July 27th 06, 06:52 PM
"Toni" > wrote in message
...
>
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > Wow, the Feb. 2006 photo of the red cat standing up and scratching, is
> > that
> > Renfield? I actually took a while and looked at the photo where they are
> > babies, assuming you listed their names in the order the cats appear,
then
> > I
> > think it is.
> >
> > That is the coolest picture of his markings! I am saving it to my "cats"
> > folder and want to put the right name with the picture!
> >
> > All your cats are gorgeous but his coat is a work of art.
>
>
> That "classic tabby" is Rochester- actually "The Marquis Rochester von
> Cearbhaill".
> And I love that photo as well!! I keep meaning to get a better shot of him
> in that pose- someday!!
>
> "Renfield the First Duke of Cearbhaill" is the mackeral, or tiger tabby.
> It took my husband a week to tell them apart, but their faces are very
> different, too.
>
> Thanks for looking, and yes we spend way too much time thinking up pet
> names.
>

hahaha! My cats have many names. They kind of mutate and evolve. *eg*

Toni
July 27th 06, 07:55 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>>
> He's gorgeous. Is he a rescue?
>
>


Not a rescue, by my definition at least (??).
He and Renfield came from the local Humane Society at eight weeks of age.

I went looking specifically for an orange tabby boy, and saw the two of them
wrestling in a cage together- they were just adorable! I had been thinking
about getting a kitten for months- why I decided on this exact morning made
no sense at all. I just woke up saying "today is the day".

At this particular shelter, you take a number *after* you have viewed the
available animals, but before a counselor helps you. So I had to sit in that
waiting room holding my number, just KNOWING that someone in line ahead of
me would take one of them thus breaking up the brotherhood. That was the
longest 20 minutes of my life.

When it got to be my turn I handed them the identifying information and said
"I want them both, they're now BOTH spoken for, don't you dare give one of
them to anyone else!". That was the first morning they had been up for
adoption, having been turned in and neutered the day before, and it was just
a miracle that I showed up that morning in time to keep them together.
Somebody did an excellent job of raising them as they are lap loving people
cats and not afraid of a thing- happy, outgoing, and healthy.

It has been true love ever since.
They are incredibly bonded, even for siblings, and I really thank God
everyday that I was able to get there in time to keep them together.

Their closeness made me kind of fear for what would happen if something ever
happened to one of them- I was afraid they would mourn terribly. So as the
overplanner that I am, I went backand got the black boy "Loomis", knowing
that the younger I added the third the easier it would be on all three of
them. "Loomis" turned out to be looney tunes, but he has calmed down
remarkably and I love him to death too. They all get along beautifully.

Too much information- you'll think twice before you ever ask me another
thing <g>


--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

cybercat
July 27th 06, 09:20 PM
"Toni" > wrote in message
. ..
>
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> ...
> >>
> > He's gorgeous. Is he a rescue?
> >
> >
>
>
> Not a rescue, by my definition at least (??).
> He and Renfield came from the local Humane Society at eight weeks of age.
>
> I went looking specifically for an orange tabby boy, and saw the two of
them
> wrestling in a cage together- they were just adorable! I had been thinking
> about getting a kitten for months- why I decided on this exact morning
made
> no sense at all. I just woke up saying "today is the day".
>
> At this particular shelter, you take a number *after* you have viewed the
> available animals, but before a counselor helps you. So I had to sit in
that
> waiting room holding my number, just KNOWING that someone in line ahead of
> me would take one of them thus breaking up the brotherhood. That was the
> longest 20 minutes of my life.
>
> When it got to be my turn I handed them the identifying information and
said
> "I want them both, they're now BOTH spoken for, don't you dare give one of
> them to anyone else!". That was the first morning they had been up for
> adoption, having been turned in and neutered the day before, and it was
just
> a miracle that I showed up that morning in time to keep them together.
> Somebody did an excellent job of raising them as they are lap loving
people
> cats and not afraid of a thing- happy, outgoing, and healthy.
>
> It has been true love ever since.
> They are incredibly bonded, even for siblings, and I really thank God
> everyday that I was able to get there in time to keep them together.
>
> Their closeness made me kind of fear for what would happen if something
ever
> happened to one of them- I was afraid they would mourn terribly. So as the
> overplanner that I am, I went backand got the black boy "Loomis", knowing
> that the younger I added the third the easier it would be on all three of
> them. "Loomis" turned out to be looney tunes, but he has calmed down
> remarkably and I love him to death too. They all get along beautifully.

Oh yes, he's a rescue all right. :) Bless you.


>
> Too much information- you'll think twice before you ever ask me another
> thing <g>
>
>

God dwells in the details. Or something like that. I always like the
unabridged version!