PDA

View Full Version : Dry Diet Food for Senior Cats

RHPT
July 27th 06, 05:01 AM
I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?

The cats have been eating Science Diet R/D for some years, but the Vet
says it is now OK to take them off, as long as they continue to eat
diet food.

I did a bit of research and am trying Innova Cat Lite Dry, but it
makes ther waste stink. I would try Royal Canine, but I can't find a
retailer that sells their Vet formula around my area (my Vet does not
carry it either).

Thank you.

The Cat Whisperer
July 27th 06, 05:53 AM
So because their **** stinks you don't want them to eat great food?
I feed Innova as well, but regular, and I have smelt nothing different than
ever before.
But it is great food.

"RHPT" > wrote in message
>I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
> recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
> 8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?
>
> The cats have been eating Science Diet R/D for some years, but the Vet
> says it is now OK to take them off, as long as they continue to eat
> diet food.
>
> I did a bit of research and am trying Innova Cat Lite Dry, but it
> makes ther waste stink. I would try Royal Canine, but I can't find a
> retailer that sells their Vet formula around my area (my Vet does not
> carry it either).

> Thank you.

Wendy
July 27th 06, 11:15 AM
"RHPT" > wrote in message
>I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
> recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
> 8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?
>
> The cats have been eating Science Diet R/D for some years, but the Vet
> says it is now OK to take them off, as long as they continue to eat
> diet food.
>
> I did a bit of research and am trying Innova Cat Lite Dry, but it
> makes ther waste stink. I would try Royal Canine, but I can't find a
> retailer that sells their Vet formula around my area (my Vet does not
> carry it either).

> Thank you.

I've never had a cat lose weight on diet food. In fact the only good that
ever came of giving a diet/lite food to one of mine was that every time I
fed it to my Isabelle she peed in the hallway. This got her to the vet and
we eventually found out she has kidney problems.

What I have had work is to stop free feeding, strict potion control and add
canned food in place of the dry. I also have to watch the dh like a hawk
because, left to his own devices, he'll be overfeeding the cats and they
will pork right back up again.

Toni
July 27th 06, 01:33 PM
"RHPT" > wrote in message
>I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
> recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
> 8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?

I am not a proponent of any senior/diet pet foods.
They restrict calories by using inferior grains instead of high quality
proteins, so the cats eat and eat because their bodies are crying for real
nutrition.

I would suggest a high quality wet food (or dry if you must) given twice a
day in carefully managed portions.
I would further suggest that you get these cats moving- eight years old is a
long way from old in my book. Do whatever they enjoy as far as playing or
climbing- I'd even feed on top of a cat tree to force them to do some
climbing daily.

It's no different that people- portion control plus increased physical
activity. You need to find a way to get them interested in moving again.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

July 27th 06, 05:41 PM
As cats get older they need different nutrition than a younger cat
would need. A good high quality senior cat food will be great for them.
If they are prone to weight gain then I would suggest a light senior
food. And if they have been eating r/d for a long time it might be a
good idea to keep them on science diet brand food as opposed to another
brand. You could also try w/d as a maintenance food for them too. Good
luck with your friends!!

Petzl
August 1st 06, 05:09 AM
"Wendy" > wrote in message

|| "RHPT" > wrote in message
||| I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
||| recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
||| 8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?
||| The cats have been eating Science Diet R/D for some years, but the
||| Vet says it is now OK to take them off, as long as they continue to
||| eat diet food.
||| I did a bit of research and am trying Innova Cat Lite Dry, but it
||| makes ther waste stink. I would try Royal Canine, but I can't find a
||| retailer that sells their Vet formula around my area (my Vet does
||| not carry it either).
||| Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
||| Thank you.
|| I've never had a cat lose weight on diet food. In fact the only good
|| that ever came of giving a diet/lite food to one of mine was that
|| every time I fed it to my Isabelle she peed in the hallway. This got
|| her to the vet and we eventually found out she has kidney problems.
|| What I have had work is to stop free feeding, strict potion control
|| and add canned food in place of the dry. I also have to watch the dh
|| like a hawk because, left to his own devices, he'll be overfeeding
|| the cats and they will pork right back up again.
IMO
Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
Your cat will decide what it likes best though and either quality food type
canned or dry is adequate (Drinking water must be present)
Try giving a table spoon (two desert spoons) of "Yakult" (Lactobacillus
casei Shirota strain) once a month or less should be more than plenty
Watch your "old" fat cat become active again and shed weight because of it's
new found activities

--
Petzl
--

August 1st 06, 06:20 AM
"Petzl" > wrote:

>Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)

Where do you get that ridiculous idea?

Care to site a reputable source of info?

-mhd

Petzl
August 1st 06, 06:35 AM
> wrote in message

|| "Petzl" > wrote:
||| Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
|| Where do you get that ridiculous idea?
|| Care to site a reputable source of info?
|| -mhd

You are making the claims tat it is ridiculous?
prove that it's not

Dried *quality* cat food has more nutrients vitamins than unsupplemented
canned food.

Often a cat will not eat anything else because it is better tasting and more
nutritious (Drinking water must be always available) Having said that
variety or combining gives the best of both worlds

I also have found that giving a cat the odd dose of Yakult (tablespoon
around once a month) Make a noticeable improvment to older cats in
Particular

--
Petzl
--
Check your computers security (free)
<http://security.symantec.com>

cybercat
August 1st 06, 07:06 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message ...
> > wrote in message

> || Where do you get that ridiculous idea?
> || Care to site a reputable source of info?
> || -mhd
>
> You are making the claims tat it is ridiculous?
> prove that it's not
>
> Dried *quality* cat food has more nutrients vitamins than unsupplemented
> canned food.

Where in the third world are you that you can find unsupplemented canned
cat food?

cybercat
August 1st 06, 07:07 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message ...

> Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
> Your cat will decide what it likes best though and either quality food
type
> canned or dry is adequate (Drinking water must be present)
> Try giving a table spoon (two desert spoons) of "Yakult" (Lactobacillus
> casei Shirota strain) once a month or less should be more than plenty
> Watch your "old" fat cat become active again and shed weight because of
it's
> new found activities

You're in Saudi Arabia aren't you?

Petzl
August 1st 06, 07:22 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

||| You are making the claims tat it is ridiculous?
||| prove that it's not
||| Dried *quality* cat food has more nutrients vitamins than
||| unsupplemented canned food.
|| Where in the third world are you that you can find unsupplemented
|| canned cat food?

Italy?
Many canned foods are imported from many places
I'm in Australia which imports cat food from places like Thailand and have
no supplements added,
Not that this will harm a cat.
The fact is modern dried cat food has all Vitamins protein etc for a healthy
cat

--
Petzl
--
Check your computers security (free)
<http://security.symantec.com>

cybercat
August 1st 06, 09:31 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message ...

> || Where in the third world are you that you can find unsupplemented
> || canned cat food?
>
> Italy?
> Many canned foods are imported from many places
> I'm in Australia which imports cat food from places like Thailand and have
> no supplements added,
> Not that this will harm a cat.
> The fact is modern dried cat food has all Vitamins protein etc for a
healthy
> cat

Well, that is just sad. For your cats.

Petzl
August 1st 06, 10:15 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

[Snip]
||| Italy?
||| Many canned foods are imported from many places
||| I'm in Australia which imports cat food from places like Thailand
||| and have no supplements added,
||| Not that this will harm a cat.
||| The fact is modern dried cat food has all Vitamins protein etc for
||| a healthy cat
|| Well, that is just sad. For your cats.

Not according to those who know about cats and cat nutrition
http://interface.audiovideoweb.com/lnk/il81win15146/HPN_Products/petfood.wmv/play.asx
(a reasonable summery about Pet food but is a "infomercial" for "Life's
Abundance Premium Health Food for Cats" )
I have 2 alley cats one's 20 and the other is near 24 both active and appear
healthy

Ol' Bab
August 3rd 06, 01:08 AM
I've checked (I think all) the dry food at my giant
supermarket, and EVERY brand had corn meal as the first
ingredient. You open the bag, and the first odor out is corn.
Crazy? or is it? Has this come up? what's the science on
(or against) this? Seems unreal, a triumph of profit over logic.

I would hope the "professional" products do it better -I
didn't check any.

Ol' Bab, first on staff for Butterscotch.

Petzl replied:
> Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
> Your cat will decide what it likes best though and either quality food type
> canned or dry is adequate

PawsForThought
August 3rd 06, 06:35 PM
Ol' Bab wrote:
> I've checked (I think all) the dry food at my giant
> supermarket, and EVERY brand had corn meal as the first
> ingredient. You open the bag, and the first odor out is corn.
> Crazy? or is it? Has this come up? what's the science on
> (or against) this? Seems unreal, a triumph of profit over logic.
>
> I would hope the "professional" products do it better -I
> didn't check any.
>
> Ol' Bab, first on staff for Butterscotch.

Dry food is a totally inappropriate diet for a carnivore. If your cat
will eat it, you're better off to feed a good canned food.

Good article: http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf

PawsForThought
August 3rd 06, 06:41 PM
Petzl wrote:I also have found that giving a cat the odd dose of Yakult
(tablespoon
> around once a month) Make a noticeable improvment to older cats in
> Particular

Giving a cat lactobacillus only once a month isn't going to do squat.

PawsForThought
August 3rd 06, 06:46 PM
Petzl wrote:

> Not according to those who know about cats and cat nutrition
> http://interface.audiovideoweb.com/lnk/il81win15146/HPN_Products/petfood.wmv/play.asx
> (a reasonable summery about Pet food but is a "infomercial" for "Life's
> Abundance Premium Health Food for Cats" )
> I have 2 alley cats one's 20 and the other is near 24 both active and appear
> healthy

Geez, it's a video made by a groomer. This is your source of
information? I highly recommend you read Dr. Zoran's excellent article
on the nutritional needs of a cat, who is an obligate carnivore.
Getting your information from an infomercial from a petfood company is
not the best way to learn.

LAUREN

Petzl
August 4th 06, 03:32 AM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
oups.com
|| Petzl wrote:I also have found that giving a cat the odd dose of
|| Yakult (tablespoon
||| around once a month) Make a noticeable improvment to older cats in
||| Particular
|| Giving a cat lactobacillus only once a month isn't going to do squat.

One can try it and notice, particularly on older cats (My two are over 20)
Many cat foods contain lactobacillus I have not seen this on Sydney shelves
though
I only give it to my cats if I notice bad breath and this is not often (once
a month is more than required in my case)
They both seem more energetic afterwards
--
Petzl
--
Check your computers security (free)
<http://security.symantec.com>

PawsForThought
August 4th 06, 03:39 PM
Petzl wrote:
> "PawsForThought" > wrote in message
> oups.com
> || Petzl wrote:I also have found that giving a cat the odd dose of
> || Yakult (tablespoon
> || Giving a cat lactobacillus only once a month isn't going to do squat.
>
> One can try it and notice, particularly on older cats (My two are over 20)
> Many cat foods contain lactobacillus I have not seen this on Sydney shelves
> though
> I only give it to my cats if I notice bad breath and this is not often (once
> a month is more than required in my case)
> They both seem more energetic afterwards

I'm not saying that lactobacillus or acidopholis isn't helpful, but I
just can't believe that only giving it once a month would do anything.
I would think on a more regular basis would be better. I also wonder
of the effects of it when it's put into petfood. I would think the
live cultures would be cooked out of it. I think giving it as an added
supplement, or even feeding a tablespoon or so of yogurt would be more
beneficial.

Lauren

Rene S.
August 4th 06, 09:34 PM
> I am not a proponent of any senior/diet pet foods.
> They restrict calories by using inferior grains instead of high quality
> proteins, so the cats eat and eat because their bodies are crying for real
> nutrition.
>
> I would suggest a high quality wet food (or dry if you must) given twice a
> day in carefully managed portions.
> I would further suggest that you get these cats moving- eight years old is a
> long way from old in my book. Do whatever they enjoy as far as playing or
> climbing- I'd even feed on top of a cat tree to force them to do some
> climbing daily.
>
> It's no different that people- portion control plus increased physical
> activity. You need to find a way to get them interested in moving again.

I agree with Toni. I tried the "prescription" diet foods with no
success. I had wonderful success wtih Wellness canned (no fillers or
grains in it), but there are other high-quality brands out there. A
commercial raw diet, such as Nature's Variety, is a great option too.
Since I've switched my cats to it, they burn more calories than even on
the canned.

Rene

Petzl
August 4th 06, 11:19 PM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
ups.com
|| Petzl wrote:
||| "PawsForThought" > wrote in message
||| oups.com
||| One can try it and notice, particularly on older cats (My two are
||| over 20) Many cat foods contain lactobacillus I have not seen this
||| on Sydney shelves though
||| I only give it to my cats if I notice bad breath and this is not
||| often (once a month is more than required in my case)
||| They both seem more energetic afterwards
|| I'm not saying that lactobacillus or acidopholis isn't helpful, but I
|| just can't believe that only giving it once a month would do
|| anything. I would think on a more regular basis would be better. I
|| also wonder of the effects of it when it's put into petfood. I
|| would think the live cultures would be cooked out of it. I think
|| giving it as an added supplement, or even feeding a tablespoon or so
|| of yogurt would be more beneficial.
|| Lauren

The major reason I don't give Yakult more often is the my cats are not
exactly helpful in taking it (I slowly drop it on their tongue)

I do notice shortly after dosage much improvement in cats well being (other
people I know now also do this with same acknowledgement). I do not see the
need for more regular dosing unless I notice the cat having unusual bad
breath.

The advantage of using Yakult is that it is hundreds of millions of *live*
bacteria which will instantly replenish the good bacteria which go to work
ensuring that a cat's digestive system is then working efficiently and
effectively.

Not sure about the dried variety one can buy in capsules (from health shops)
or included in cat food (dried and tinned). ot bothered to try it as the
method I now use is effective
--
Petzl
--
Check your computers security (free)
<http://security.symantec.com>

PawsForThought
August 5th 06, 12:09 AM
Petzl wrote:

> The major reason I don't give Yakult more often is the my cats are not
> exactly helpful in taking it (I slowly drop it on their tongue)

Ah, now that I can understand :)

>> The advantage of using Yakult is that it is hundreds of millions of *live*
> bacteria which will instantly replenish the good bacteria which go to work
> ensuring that a cat's digestive system is then working efficiently and
> effectively.

I've never heard of Yakult until you posted about it. Maybe it's not
available here in the U.S.?

> Not sure about the dried variety one can buy in capsules (from health shops)
> or included in cat food (dried and tinned). ot bothered to try it as the
> method I now use is effective

I try to give my cats yogurt a few times a week. They won't eat much
of it, maybe a teaspoon or so. They only want it when I'm eating it,
of course.

Lauren

Petzl
August 5th 06, 12:53 AM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
oups.com
|| Petzl wrote:
||| The major reason I don't give Yakult more often is the my cats are
||| not exactly helpful in taking it (I slowly drop it on their tongue)
|| Ah, now that I can understand :)

Yes they can draw blood (mine)

||| bacteria which will instantly replenish the good bacteria which go
||| to work ensuring that a cat's digestive system is then working
||| efficiently and effectively.
|| I've never heard of Yakult until you posted about it. Maybe it's not
|| available here in the U.S.?

Probably similar product in your supermarket dairy fridge?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult
In Australia they have alternative brands, Yakult is a Japanese brand and
original.
I would be surprised if the USa do not sell a similar identical product, it
is intended for humans not cats

||| Not sure about the dried variety one can buy in capsules (from
||| health shops) or included in cat food (dried and tinned). ot
||| bothered to try it as the method I now use is effective
|| I try to give my cats yogurt a few times a week. They won't eat much
|| of it, maybe a teaspoon or so. They only want it when I'm eating it,
|| of course.

The small bottles of Yakult in Sydney sell individually for 60 cents.
Yogurt has the same bacteria in it, just not in the concentrations that it
is in a small bottle of Yakult or similar

--
Petzl