PDA

View Full Version : Questions Re: Food

sax_playa86
July 28th 06, 01:58 PM
Recently I was transfered by work for a month and a half up north.
Luckily, I was able to move in with family, and so my little Marziale
and I packed up and headed up. However, since coming her her appetite
seems to have dwindled significantly. She has already been to the vet
here (I am staying in my mother's basement appt rather than go
searching for a new appt for just a month and a half, and therefore was
able to go to the vet that we brought all our animals to growing up,
therefore I know and trust), and the vet said that she appears
prefectly healthy. I am still worried though, because she appears to be
only picking at her food. Back home she would eat this food like it was
going out of style, I know she likes it. Is it just that she isn't used
to the new surroundings? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to
encourage her to eat properly again? Please don't waste your time with
negative posts on here, as I said, she has already been to the vet, who
said that she was ok, she is eating, just not as much as she used to. I
am simply looking for positive advice to try to make my baby girl
happier.

Jennifer
July 28th 06, 03:11 PM
sax_playa86 wrote:
<snip>
>However, since coming her her appetite
> seems to have dwindled significantly... vet said that she appears
> prefectly healthy. I am still worried though, because she appears to be
> only picking at her food. Back home she would eat this food like it was
> going out of style, I know she likes it.
<snip>

Is she at a healthy weight? If so, it's probably not much of a
concern.

Stress could have affected her appetite, of course. So could a change
in temperature/humidity.

Are the bags or cans from which you're feeding her brought from your
old home or purchased where you are now? Food can vary by batches.
Try a different flavor of the same brand, or if you feed excusively
dry, try supplementing with wet.

"Eating properly" mostly just means staying at a healthy weight, not
pigging out every time she sees food...

--
Jennifer

sax_playa86
July 28th 06, 08:47 PM
She's just at a healthy weight, it took awhile to get her to that
point. She's a shelter kitten who was rather underweight when I first
adopted her. She gets two meals a day, breakfast and dinner, of wet
food and then has dry food available to her at all times. The dry food
I brought from home, the wet food I brought some from home, however I
also have some other varieties from here trying to see if maybe a
different flavour will entice her.
Thank you very much for your quick reply. Anything for my baby, I'm
sure you know what its like :)
Jennifer wrote:
> sax_playa86 wrote:
> <snip>
> >However, since coming her her appetite
> > seems to have dwindled significantly... vet said that she appears
> > prefectly healthy. I am still worried though, because she appears to be
> > only picking at her food. Back home she would eat this food like it was
> > going out of style, I know she likes it.
> <snip>
>
> Is she at a healthy weight? If so, it's probably not much of a
> concern.
>
> Stress could have affected her appetite, of course. So could a change
> in temperature/humidity.
>
> Are the bags or cans from which you're feeding her brought from your
> old home or purchased where you are now? Food can vary by batches.
> Try a different flavor of the same brand, or if you feed excusively
> dry, try supplementing with wet.
>
> "Eating properly" mostly just means staying at a healthy weight, not
> pigging out every time she sees food...
>
> --
> Jennifer

Joe Canuck
July 29th 06, 05:15 AM
sax_playa86 wrote:
> Recently I was transfered by work for a month and a half up north.
> Luckily, I was able to move in with family, and so my little Marziale
> and I packed up and headed up. However, since coming her her appetite
> seems to have dwindled significantly. She has already been to the vet
> here (I am staying in my mother's basement appt rather than go
> searching for a new appt for just a month and a half, and therefore was
> able to go to the vet that we brought all our animals to growing up,
> therefore I know and trust), and the vet said that she appears
> prefectly healthy. I am still worried though, because she appears to be
> only picking at her food. Back home she would eat this food like it was
> going out of style, I know she likes it. Is it just that she isn't used
> to the new surroundings? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to
> encourage her to eat properly again? Please don't waste your time with
> negative posts on here, as I said, she has already been to the vet, who
> said that she was ok, she is eating, just not as much as she used to. I
> am simply looking for positive advice to try to make my baby girl
> happier.

The cat is displaced from the place it normally calls home... so yes it
may be a little upset and that may show up as going off the food for a
short time.

Have you changed the food?