PDA

View Full Version : pig ears for cats?

Elizabeth Blake
July 29th 06, 04:00 AM
I was wondering if those smoked pig ears treats for dogs can be given to
cats. Isaac really wants to chew on stuff. Just before, as I was typing,
he leaned over the edge of the desk and began to gnaw on the arrow keys on
the keyboard. I just moved the pen/pencil cup out of reach to stop him from
teething on the handle of the scissors. He doesn't chew on cords
(thankfully), shoelaces or shoes, books and things like that. Mostly he
likes chewing on plastic. I thought some kind of treat would keep him busy
and let him satisfy his urge to chew but I'm not sure if a dog treat would
be safe.

A number of years ago when I was dogsitting my boss' two yellow labs at
work, they had pig ears and Stinky was very interested. After one dog got
up, she ran over to where he had been eating and licked up all of the loose
shards of pig ear he left behind.

--
Liz

blkcatgal
July 29th 06, 04:50 AM
I've heard that the pig ears aren't that great for dogs so to give it to a
cat I wouldn't think would be a great idea either.

Sue
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I was wondering if those smoked pig ears treats for dogs can be given to
>cats. Isaac really wants to chew on stuff. Just before, as I was typing,
>he leaned over the edge of the desk and began to gnaw on the arrow keys on
>the keyboard. I just moved the pen/pencil cup out of reach to stop him
>from teething on the handle of the scissors. He doesn't chew on cords
>(thankfully), shoelaces or shoes, books and things like that. Mostly he
>likes chewing on plastic. I thought some kind of treat would keep him busy
>and let him satisfy his urge to chew but I'm not sure if a dog treat would
>be safe.
>
> A number of years ago when I was dogsitting my boss' two yellow labs at
> work, they had pig ears and Stinky was very interested. After one dog got
> up, she ran over to where he had been eating and licked up all of the
> loose shards of pig ear he left behind.
>
> --
> Liz

Spot
July 29th 06, 05:51 PM
They can also carry salmonella. I had one of my dogs get really sick a
couple of years ago after eating one. I have never bought them since.

Celeste

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've heard that the pig ears aren't that great for dogs so to give it to a
> cat I wouldn't think would be a great idea either.
>
> Sue
> "Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>I was wondering if those smoked pig ears treats for dogs can be given to
>>cats. Isaac really wants to chew on stuff. Just before, as I was typing,
>>he leaned over the edge of the desk and began to gnaw on the arrow keys on
>>the keyboard. I just moved the pen/pencil cup out of reach to stop him
>>from teething on the handle of the scissors. He doesn't chew on cords
>>(thankfully), shoelaces or shoes, books and things like that. Mostly he
>>likes chewing on plastic. I thought some kind of treat would keep him
>>busy and let him satisfy his urge to chew but I'm not sure if a dog treat
>>would be safe.
>>
>> A number of years ago when I was dogsitting my boss' two yellow labs at
>> work, they had pig ears and Stinky was very interested. After one dog
>> got up, she ran over to where he had been eating and licked up all of the
>> loose shards of pig ear he left behind.
>>
>> --
>> Liz

Elizabeth Blake
July 30th 06, 03:07 AM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> They can also carry salmonella. I had one of my dogs get really sick a
> couple of years ago after eating one. I have never bought them since.
>
> Celeste

Any other ideas of a treat that (1) will satisfy his urge to chew and (2) be
longer lasting than a typical bite-sized cat treat?

--
Liz