PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions Regarding Canned Food

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 06, 12:56 AM
Hi

I have a couple canned food questions.

1:

Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
are a bit difficult for me to interpret.

2.

What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.

I'm sure he'd love to eat that much food, but he'd wind up weighing
as much as a real lion instead of a couch lion before long...

He is currently allowing me to feed him a bit of Royal Canin
Maine Coon kibble in addition to a variety of premium canned
foods in order for me to learn his preferences of brands and
flavors. I would like to be able to choose the types that will
provide him good nutrition.

Thanks in Advance

cybercat
July 30th 06, 04:33 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a couple canned food questions.
>
> 1:
>
> Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
> provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
> various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
> are a bit difficult for me to interpret.
>
> 2.
>
> What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
> cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
> can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
> Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
> or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.
>
> I'm sure he'd love to eat that much food, but he'd wind up weighing
> as much as a real lion instead of a couch lion before long...
>
> He is currently allowing me to feed him a bit of Royal Canin
> Maine Coon kibble in addition to a variety of premium canned
> foods in order for me to learn his preferences of brands and
> flavors. I would like to be able to choose the types that will
> provide him good nutrition.

Claude, I am sure you will get some good responses, but if not, please use
Google on this. We have covered this ad nauseum. Monthly.

angel
July 30th 06, 06:09 AM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a couple canned food questions.
>
> 1:
>
> Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
> provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
> various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
> are a bit difficult for me to interpret.
>
> 2.
>
> What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
> cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
> can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
> Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
> or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.

sounds like you're giving the best money can buy, you should find some
assurance in that.. I see that name alot among fancy cat people

second thing.. have you considered free feeding?

just give one can per cat in the morning

after that can is eaten...per cat...

(and mine eat from the same oval broiler plate)...

wait a little while.. till round dinner time.. give them one maybe 2
cans...

keep some kibble out..

meter it.. you don't want the wet food to be down too long.. tastes bad

if you find there is still wet food on the plate when you go back...

just back up on the dose a little...
--

one lady fed her cat with a spoon, her cat was throwing up..
so she fed him little bites.. so he wouldn't throw up..

the cat is full!

let them get hungry, I get hungry sometimes..

who says a cat can't miss a meal

getting hungry has very healthy benefits

the body can work on cleansing, not just digesting

tastebuds can rejuvinate

stomachs can shrink

unless you see skin and bones and faintness... hunger can be healthy

besides.. keep some kibble out..

at a minimum, you know they are not hungry, but simply prefer the wet
food.

Later

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 06, 07:45 AM
In article om>,
angel > wrote:

>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a couple canned food questions.
>>
>> 1:
>>
>> Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
>> provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
>> various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
>> are a bit difficult for me to interpret.
>>
>> 2.
>>
>> What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
>> cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
>> can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
>> Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
>> or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.
>
>sounds like you're giving the best money can buy, you should find some
>assurance in that.. I see that name alot among fancy cat people
>
>second thing.. have you considered free feeding?

To Bubba, "free feeding" would equal 30Lbs before the end of the year.

>just give one can per cat in the morning
>
>after that can is eaten...per cat...
>
>(and mine eat from the same oval broiler plate)...
>
>wait a little while.. till round dinner time.. give them one maybe 2
>cans...
>
>keep some kibble out..
>
>meter it.. you don't want the wet food to be down too long.. tastes bad
>
>if you find there is still wet food on the plate when you go back...
>
>just back up on the dose a little...
>--
>
>one lady fed her cat with a spoon, her cat was throwing up..
>so she fed him little bites.. so he wouldn't throw up..
>
>the cat is full!
>
>let them get hungry, I get hungry sometimes..
>
>who says a cat can't miss a meal
>
>getting hungry has very healthy benefits
>
>the body can work on cleansing, not just digesting
>
>tastebuds can rejuvinate
>
>stomachs can shrink
>
>unless you see skin and bones and faintness... hunger can be healthy
>
>besides.. keep some kibble out..
>
>at a minimum, you know they are not hungry, but simply prefer the wet
>food.
>
>Later

I've been putting out a measured ration of kibble in the morning
and giving a half can in the late afternoon and the other half
in the evening. I'm hoping that I can get him down to ~20 Lbs
eventually. I'm not sure more than one can a day is necessary,
but I'm not totally convinced of that. He generally eats the
half can in an hour or so before it has a chance to get nasty.

Buddy
July 30th 06, 11:34 AM
Claude

My Maine Coon weighs 11 pounds - I think he must be small boned for a
Maine Coon - he isn't thin. I feed him one 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast in
the morning and one can at night. He gets about a tablespoon of Royal
Canin sprinkled on top. This seems to maintain his weight at 11 pounds
and he doesn't beg for food, etc. I have noticed that Maine Coons will
eat just as much as you will give them. Which is why most of them are
over weight. They do seems to put on weight fast! He is an inside cat
but we do play a lot and he runs up and down the basement stairs, etc.

Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a couple canned food questions.
>
> 1:
>
> Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
> provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
> various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
> are a bit difficult for me to interpret.
>
> 2.
>
> What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
> cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
> can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
> Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
> or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.
>
> I'm sure he'd love to eat that much food, but he'd wind up weighing
> as much as a real lion instead of a couch lion before long...
>
> He is currently allowing me to feed him a bit of Royal Canin
> Maine Coon kibble in addition to a variety of premium canned
> foods in order for me to learn his preferences of brands and
> flavors. I would like to be able to choose the types that will
> provide him good nutrition.
>
> Thanks in Advance

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 06, 12:06 PM
In article om>,
Buddy > wrote:
>Claude
>
>My Maine Coon weighs 11 pounds - I think he must be small boned for a
>Maine Coon - he isn't thin. I feed him one 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast in
>the morning and one can at night. He gets about a tablespoon of Royal
>Canin sprinkled on top. This seems to maintain his weight at 11 pounds
>and he doesn't beg for food, etc. I have noticed that Maine Coons will
>eat just as much as you will give them. Which is why most of them are
>over weight. They do seems to put on weight fast! He is an inside cat
>but we do play a lot and he runs up and down the basement stairs, etc.

Bubba's big.

He weighed 22 lbs a year ago and he's pushing 25 after a year on
roughly 10% less than the recommended daily ration of Royal Canin MC
His feet will cover a metal dollar and he's ~32" from nose to the end
of his tail. He refuses to go outside and I try to play with him for
a bit every day to get him some exercise but he's fairly sedate.

He's not quite obese, but I can't feel his ribs either so I don't want
to overfeed him. 3 or 5 5 oz cans seems like a bit much...

>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a couple canned food questions.
>>
>> 1:
>>
>> Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
>> provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
>> various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
>> are a bit difficult for me to interpret.
>>
>> 2.
>>
>> What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
>> cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
>> can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
>> Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
>> or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.
>>
>> I'm sure he'd love to eat that much food, but he'd wind up weighing
>> as much as a real lion instead of a couch lion before long...
>>
>> He is currently allowing me to feed him a bit of Royal Canin
>> Maine Coon kibble in addition to a variety of premium canned
>> foods in order for me to learn his preferences of brands and
>> flavors. I would like to be able to choose the types that will
>> provide him good nutrition.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance

Buddy
July 30th 06, 12:53 PM
I think you are correct. Three 5 oz. cans is too much. And then there
is the theory about eating less quality food gives more waste, etc. My
cat maintains on 6 oz. a day. Since yours is bigger, why don't you try
one 5 oz. can a day [half in the morning and half at night] and see if
you can get him to lose weight. Or witch to Fancy Feast and give one
can twice a day. I wouldn't give too much of the Royal Canin - I only
use 1 tablespoon a day. I swear these Maine Coons gain weight easier
than a middle age woman! They just look at food and put on the lbs.!!!

Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> In article om>,
> Buddy > wrote:
> >Claude
> >
> >My Maine Coon weighs 11 pounds - I think he must be small boned for a
> >Maine Coon - he isn't thin. I feed him one 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast in
> >the morning and one can at night. He gets about a tablespoon of Royal
> >Canin sprinkled on top. This seems to maintain his weight at 11 pounds
> >and he doesn't beg for food, etc. I have noticed that Maine Coons will
> >eat just as much as you will give them. Which is why most of them are
> >over weight. They do seems to put on weight fast! He is an inside cat
> >but we do play a lot and he runs up and down the basement stairs, etc.
>
> Bubba's big.
>
> He weighed 22 lbs a year ago and he's pushing 25 after a year on
> roughly 10% less than the recommended daily ration of Royal Canin MC
> His feet will cover a metal dollar and he's ~32" from nose to the end
> of his tail. He refuses to go outside and I try to play with him for
> a bit every day to get him some exercise but he's fairly sedate.
>
> He's not quite obese, but I can't feel his ribs either so I don't want
> to overfeed him. 3 or 5 5 oz cans seems like a bit much...
>

> >Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have a couple canned food questions.
> >>
> >> 1:
> >>
> >> Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
> >> provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
> >> various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
> >> are a bit difficult for me to interpret.
> >>
> >> 2.
> >>
> >> What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
> >> cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
> >> can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
> >> Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
> >> or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.
> >>
> >> I'm sure he'd love to eat that much food, but he'd wind up weighing
> >> as much as a real lion instead of a couch lion before long...
> >>
> >> He is currently allowing me to feed him a bit of Royal Canin
> >> Maine Coon kibble in addition to a variety of premium canned
> >> foods in order for me to learn his preferences of brands and
> >> flavors. I would like to be able to choose the types that will
> >> provide him good nutrition.
> >>
> >> Thanks in Advance

---MIKE---
July 30th 06, 12:54 PM
Tiger (Maine Coon?) used to look fat until he was shaved three weeks
ago. Now he looks normal. He and Amber share a 5.5 ounce can of
Wellness chicken about 5;30 AM and another about 5 PM. (I say share but
Tiger (the hog) eats about two thirds of it because Amber likes to eat
in small segments). They both get a small handful of dry at Noon (if
I'm home) and again at bedtime.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 06, 02:10 PM
In article . com>,
Buddy > wrote:
>I think you are correct. Three 5 oz. cans is too much. And then there
>is the theory about eating less quality food gives more waste, etc. My
>cat maintains on 6 oz. a day. Since yours is bigger, why don't you try
>one 5 oz. can a day [half in the morning and half at night] and see if
>you can get him to lose weight. Or witch to Fancy Feast and give one
>can twice a day. I wouldn't give too much of the Royal Canin - I only
>use 1 tablespoon a day. I swear these Maine Coons gain weight easier
>than a middle age woman! They just look at food and put on the lbs.!!!

I've been giving him one 5 oz can of the good quality split into two
portions, afternoon and evening. I'm trying to find out which brands
and flavors he likes. I'll post a report when we've tried a few.

I need to search out an impartial nutritional comparison so I can
not bother with the bad stuff. I know to avoid ones with grains and
byproducts as the main ingredients, but I haven't been able to find
a semi-simple chart that compares the actual nutritional components.

>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> In article om>,
>> Buddy > wrote:
>> >Claude
>> >
>> >My Maine Coon weighs 11 pounds - I think he must be small boned for a
>> >Maine Coon - he isn't thin. I feed him one 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast in
>> >the morning and one can at night. He gets about a tablespoon of Royal
>> >Canin sprinkled on top. This seems to maintain his weight at 11 pounds
>> >and he doesn't beg for food, etc. I have noticed that Maine Coons will
>> >eat just as much as you will give them. Which is why most of them are
>> >over weight. They do seems to put on weight fast! He is an inside cat
>> >but we do play a lot and he runs up and down the basement stairs, etc.
>>
>> Bubba's big.
>>
>> He weighed 22 lbs a year ago and he's pushing 25 after a year on
>> roughly 10% less than the recommended daily ration of Royal Canin MC
>> His feet will cover a metal dollar and he's ~32" from nose to the end
>> of his tail. He refuses to go outside and I try to play with him for
>> a bit every day to get him some exercise but he's fairly sedate.
>>
>> He's not quite obese, but I can't feel his ribs either so I don't want
>> to overfeed him. 3 or 5 5 oz cans seems like a bit much...

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 06, 02:11 PM
In article >,
---MIKE--- > wrote:
>Tiger (Maine Coon?) used to look fat until he was shaved three weeks
>ago. Now he looks normal. He and Amber share a 5.5 ounce can of
>Wellness chicken about 5;30 AM and another about 5 PM. (I say share but
>Tiger (the hog) eats about two thirds of it because Amber likes to eat
>in small segments). They both get a small handful of dry at Noon (if
>I'm home) and again at bedtime.

Bubba would probably look more slender without the hair, but he's still big.

---MIKE---
July 30th 06, 03:09 PM
Tiger is very big - 22.3 pounds on the vet's scale.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Ann
July 30th 06, 04:15 PM
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:10:47 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:
<...>
> I've been giving him one 5 oz can of the good quality split into two
> portions, afternoon and evening. I'm trying to find out which brands and
> flavors he likes. I'll post a report when we've tried a few.
>
> I need to search out an impartial nutritional comparison so I can not
> bother with the bad stuff. I know to avoid ones with grains and
> byproducts as the main ingredients, but I haven't been able to find a
> semi-simple chart that compares the actual nutritional components.

The thing is, the ingredients used may vary from lot-to-lot, depending on
availability and cost. The manufacturers are permitted considerable
latitude on the actual ingredients used by the FDA. The food should
comply with the feeding standard and nutritional %s on the label and you
should be able to Google up those numbers/requirements. As a start, here
is the FDA webpage: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm

Higher cost is not necessarily "better". I thought I'd try a pack of the
new Purina "Naturals" until I read the label and saw that it is only for
adult cats. Literally decades ago, Consumer Reports did an actual feeding
comparison of cat foods, using kittens. It had a bad outcome in that some
of the kittens developed such a nutritional deficit that they died. The
"lesson learned" for me was to feed a variety of types and flavors of
food, from different manufacturers.

<...>

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 06, 07:20 PM
In article >,
Ann > wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:10:47 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:
><...>
>> I've been giving him one 5 oz can of the good quality split into two
>> portions, afternoon and evening. I'm trying to find out which brands and
>> flavors he likes. I'll post a report when we've tried a few.
>>
>> I need to search out an impartial nutritional comparison so I can not
>> bother with the bad stuff. I know to avoid ones with grains and
>> byproducts as the main ingredients, but I haven't been able to find a
>> semi-simple chart that compares the actual nutritional components.
>
>The thing is, the ingredients used may vary from lot-to-lot, depending on
>availability and cost. The manufacturers are permitted considerable
>latitude on the actual ingredients used by the FDA. The food should
>comply with the feeding standard and nutritional %s on the label and you
>should be able to Google up those numbers/requirements. As a start, here
>is the FDA webpage: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm

I understand how to read the labels.

What I'm looking for is some sort of chart that says:

"Brand A, Flavor B has 22% protein, 42 grams phosphorus/can"
"Brand A, Flavor D has 2% protein, 33 grams phosphorus/can"
etc..

I just might be missing it, but phosphorus levels in particular
seem to be missing from the labels.

Perhaps I need a stronger magnifying glass.

>Higher cost is not necessarily "better". I thought I'd try a pack of the
>new Purina "Naturals" until I read the label and saw that it is only for
>adult cats. Literally decades ago, Consumer Reports did an actual feeding
>comparison of cat foods, using kittens. It had a bad outcome in that some
>of the kittens developed such a nutritional deficit that they died. The
>"lesson learned" for me was to feed a variety of types and flavors of
>food, from different manufacturers.
>
><...>

I'm not really shopping by cost alone, and I am trying to check out as
many different brands as there are in PetSmart and Petco including the
house brands.

Ann
July 30th 06, 08:58 PM
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:20:24 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:

> In article >, Ann
> > wrote:
>>On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:10:47 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote: <...>
>>> I've been giving him one 5 oz can of the good quality split into two
>>> portions, afternoon and evening. I'm trying to find out which brands
>>> and flavors he likes. I'll post a report when we've tried a few.
>>>
>>> I need to search out an impartial nutritional comparison so I can not
>>> bother with the bad stuff. I know to avoid ones with grains and
>>> byproducts as the main ingredients, but I haven't been able to find a
>>> semi-simple chart that compares the actual nutritional components.
>>
>>The thing is, the ingredients used may vary from lot-to-lot, depending
>>on availability and cost. The manufacturers are permitted considerable
>>latitude on the actual ingredients used by the FDA. The food should
>>comply with the feeding standard and nutritional %s on the label and you
>>should be able to Google up those numbers/requirements. As a start,
>>here is the FDA webpage: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm
>
> I understand how to read the labels.

Good for you. I pretty much know the chapters, but not the verses. <g>

> What I'm looking for is some sort of chart that says:
>
> "Brand A, Flavor B has 22% protein, 42 grams phosphorus/can" "Brand A,
> Flavor D has 2% protein, 33 grams phosphorus/can" etc..
>
> I just might be missing it, but phosphorus levels in particular seem to
> be missing from the labels.

Why would manufacturers include that - unless they're promoting hi/lo
phosphorus - if its not required? Likewise, they're generally only going
to specify the minimum percentage of (crude) protein.

The point I was trying to make is that the analysis on any "chart" is
going to be a snapshot of one particular lot of cat food.

If you're looking for a cat food that has high or low phosphorus content,
you could get probable relative values by (1) sticking to the 95% meat
varieties and (2) looking up the "natural" phosphorus content of the
meat in a book or chart of human nutritional data. For example, if you
want low phosphorus, avoid Liver Cat Food.

> Perhaps I need a stronger magnifying glass.
>

>>Higher cost is not necessarily "better". I thought I'd try a pack of
>>the new Purina "Naturals" until I read the label and saw that it is only
>>for adult cats. Literally decades ago, Consumer Reports did an actual
>>feeding comparison of cat foods, using kittens. It had a bad outcome in
>>that some of the kittens developed such a nutritional deficit that they
>>died. The "lesson learned" for me was to feed a variety of types and
>>flavors of food, from different manufacturers.
>>
>><...>
>
> I'm not really shopping by cost alone, and I am trying to check out as
> many different brands as there are in PetSmart and Petco including the
> house brands.

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 06, 10:12 PM
In article >,
Ann > wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:20:24 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>
>> In article >, Ann
>> > wrote:

>>>The thing is, the ingredients used may vary from lot-to-lot, depending
>>>on availability and cost. The manufacturers are permitted considerable
>>>latitude on the actual ingredients used by the FDA. The food should
>>>comply with the feeding standard and nutritional %s on the label and you
>>>should be able to Google up those numbers/requirements. As a start,
>>>here is the FDA webpage: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm
>>
>> I understand how to read the labels.
>
>Good for you. I pretty much know the chapters, but not the verses. <g>
>
>> What I'm looking for is some sort of chart that says:
>>
>> "Brand A, Flavor B has 22% protein, 42 grams phosphorus/can" "Brand A,
>> Flavor D has 2% protein, 33 grams phosphorus/can" etc..
>>
>> I just might be missing it, but phosphorus levels in particular seem to
>> be missing from the labels.
>
>Why would manufacturers include that - unless they're promoting hi/lo
>phosphorus - if its not required? Likewise, they're generally only going
>to specify the minimum percentage of (crude) protein.

I'm not necessarily looking for *manufacturer's* generated data. It
is almost guaranteed to be biased...

Evidently higher phosphorus levels have been associated with
health problems, specifically kidney failures. I'd like to avoid
high-phosphorus foods as much as possible as early as possible to
reduce the likelihood of problems when Bubba gets older.

I found this chart

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

but it hasn't been updated since 2003. That's why
I asked in here for additional info.

>The point I was trying to make is that the analysis on any "chart" is
>going to be a snapshot of one particular lot of cat food.

Or an average...

>If you're looking for a cat food that has high or low phosphorus content,
>you could get probable relative values by (1) sticking to the 95% meat
>varieties and (2) looking up the "natural" phosphorus content of the
>meat in a book or chart of human nutritional data. For example, if you
>want low phosphorus, avoid Liver Cat Food.

I'm too lazy for that. I'm hoping that somebody else already did
something similar and is willing to share.

>> Perhaps I need a stronger magnifying glass.
>>

>>>Higher cost is not necessarily "better". I thought I'd try a pack of
>>>the new Purina "Naturals" until I read the label and saw that it is only
>>>for adult cats. Literally decades ago, Consumer Reports did an actual
>>>feeding comparison of cat foods, using kittens. It had a bad outcome in
>>>that some of the kittens developed such a nutritional deficit that they
>>>died. The "lesson learned" for me was to feed a variety of types and
>>>flavors of food, from different manufacturers.
>>>
>>><...>
>>
>> I'm not really shopping by cost alone, and I am trying to check out as
>> many different brands as there are in PetSmart and Petco including the
>> house brands.

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 06, 10:24 PM
In article >,
Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
>In article >,
>Ann > wrote:
>>On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:20:24 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>>
>>> In article >, Ann

>>> I understand how to read the labels.
>>
>>Good for you. I pretty much know the chapters, but not the verses. <g>
>>
>>> What I'm looking for is some sort of chart that says:
>>>
>>> "Brand A, Flavor B has 22% protein, 42 grams phosphorus/can" "Brand A,
>>> Flavor D has 2% protein, 33 grams phosphorus/can" etc..
>>>
>>> I just might be missing it, but phosphorus levels in particular seem to
>>> be missing from the labels.
>>
>>Why would manufacturers include that - unless they're promoting hi/lo
>>phosphorus - if its not required? Likewise, they're generally only going
>>to specify the minimum percentage of (crude) protein.
>
>I'm not necessarily looking for *manufacturer's* generated data. It
>is almost guaranteed to be biased...
>
>Evidently higher phosphorus levels have been associated with
>health problems, specifically kidney failures. I'd like to avoid
>high-phosphorus foods as much as possible as early as possible to
>reduce the likelihood of problems when Bubba gets older.
>

>I found this chart
>
>http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm
>
>but it hasn't been updated since 2003. That's why
>I asked in here for additional info.

Whoops...

Updated 2005 at

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canned.htm

Ann
July 30th 06, 10:42 PM
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:12:23 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:

> In article >,
> Ann > wrote:
>>On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:20:24 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>>
>>> In article >, Ann

>>> I understand how to read the labels.
>>
>>Good for you. I pretty much know the chapters, but not the verses. <g>
>>
>>> What I'm looking for is some sort of chart that says:
>>>
>>> "Brand A, Flavor B has 22% protein, 42 grams phosphorus/can" "Brand A,
>>> Flavor D has 2% protein, 33 grams phosphorus/can" etc..
>>>
>>> I just might be missing it, but phosphorus levels in particular seem to
>>> be missing from the labels.
>>
>>Why would manufacturers include that - unless they're promoting hi/lo
>>phosphorus - if its not required? Likewise, they're generally only going
>>to specify the minimum percentage of (crude) protein.
>
> I'm not necessarily looking for *manufacturer's* generated data. It
> is almost guaranteed to be biased...
>
> Evidently higher phosphorus levels have been associated with
> health problems, specifically kidney failures. I'd like to avoid
> high-phosphorus foods as much as possible as early as possible to
> reduce the likelihood of problems when Bubba gets older.

It may be one of those instances where there is correlation but not
causation. Meat and fish have relatively high phosphorus content, but
they're also high in protein.

> I found this chart
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm
>
> but it hasn't been updated since 2003. That's why
> I asked in here for additional info.
>

>>The point I was trying to make is that the analysis on any "chart" is
>>going to be a snapshot of one particular lot of cat food.
>
> Or an average...
>

>>If you're looking for a cat food that has high or low phosphorus content,
>>you could get probable relative values by (1) sticking to the 95% meat
>>varieties and (2) looking up the "natural" phosphorus content of the
>>meat in a book or chart of human nutritional data. For example, if you
>>want low phosphorus, avoid Liver Cat Food.
>>

> I'm too lazy for that. I'm hoping that somebody else already did
> something similar and is willing to share.
>
>>> Perhaps I need a stronger magnifying glass.

>>> I'm not really shopping by cost alone, and I am trying to check out as
>>> many different brands as there are in PetSmart and Petco including the
>>> house brands.

Toni
August 1st 06, 06:17 AM
> Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
> provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
> various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
> are a bit difficult for me to interpret.

Is this any help??
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

Claude V. Lucas
August 1st 06, 07:09 AM
In article >,
Toni > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
>> provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
>> various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
>> are a bit difficult for me to interpret.
>

>Is this any help??
>http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

That one's great and has a link to an updated version.

I already saw it, but thanks anyway....

I'd like to know if there are any similar charts so I can compare.

bobmarley
August 1st 06, 01:31 PM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:

> I'd like to know if there are any similar charts so I can compare.

just give your cat two joints, then give him two more
that's what I always do

besides what is there to compare

it's all horse dick and cow nuts man

chill! you're enthusiasm is killing me

bobmarley
August 1st 06, 04:04 PM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:

> >Is this any help??
> >http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

just kidding Claude V Lucas

enthuze away

there is defintely a difference in foods

lately i've been feeding my whatever meat I cook

by this, they forgo the cans of food and wait for dinner

they are like family now...(my cats I mean)

once I start cooking they get good as gold and get happy
they fight each other, they lay around all pretty

they think I am a god

I usually season with a few herbs, vewy widdle salt

they like all kinds of meat

their favorite is lamb

they are even taking to eating veggies
but this morning my youngest helped me eat a bag of cheddar ruffles
(well.. one chip anyway.. so cute)

The Cat Whisperer
August 1st 06, 05:54 PM
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/tp/tpcannedadult.htm

I use the #1 choice, natural balance, it is not expensive, and my cats love
it more than any other I have tried!
So, I get happy cats and know they are getting excellent nutrition.

The Cat Whisperer
August 1st 06, 06:01 PM
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz&animal=Cat
choose the products you want on the chart and it will provide the info.

"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ann > wrote:
>>On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:10:47 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>><...>
>>> I've been giving him one 5 oz can of the good quality split into two
>>> portions, afternoon and evening. I'm trying to find out which brands and
>>> flavors he likes. I'll post a report when we've tried a few.
>>>
>>> I need to search out an impartial nutritional comparison so I can not
>>> bother with the bad stuff. I know to avoid ones with grains and
>>> byproducts as the main ingredients, but I haven't been able to find a
>>> semi-simple chart that compares the actual nutritional components.
>>
>>The thing is, the ingredients used may vary from lot-to-lot, depending on
>>availability and cost. The manufacturers are permitted considerable
>>latitude on the actual ingredients used by the FDA. The food should
>>comply with the feeding standard and nutritional %s on the label and you
>>should be able to Google up those numbers/requirements. As a start, here
>>is the FDA webpage: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm
>
> I understand how to read the labels.
>
> What I'm looking for is some sort of chart that says:
>
> "Brand A, Flavor B has 22% protein, 42 grams phosphorus/can"
> "Brand A, Flavor D has 2% protein, 33 grams phosphorus/can"
> etc..
>
> I just might be missing it, but phosphorus levels in particular
> seem to be missing from the labels.
>
> Perhaps I need a stronger magnifying glass.
>

>>Higher cost is not necessarily "better". I thought I'd try a pack of the
>>new Purina "Naturals" until I read the label and saw that it is only for
>>adult cats. Literally decades ago, Consumer Reports did an actual feeding
>>comparison of cat foods, using kittens. It had a bad outcome in that some
>>of the kittens developed such a nutritional deficit that they died. The
>>"lesson learned" for me was to feed a variety of types and flavors of
>>food, from different manufacturers.
>>
>><...>
>
> I'm not really shopping by cost alone, and I am trying to check out as
> many different brands as there are in PetSmart and Petco including the
> house brands.

Claude V. Lucas
August 1st 06, 06:09 PM
In article >,
The Cat Whisperer > wrote:
>http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz&animal=Cat
>choose the products you want on the chart and it will provide the info.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that...

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Ann > wrote:
>>>On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:10:47 +0000, Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>>><...>

>>>The thing is, the ingredients used may vary from lot-to-lot, depending on
>>>availability and cost. The manufacturers are permitted considerable
>>>latitude on the actual ingredients used by the FDA. The food should
>>>comply with the feeding standard and nutritional %s on the label and you
>>>should be able to Google up those numbers/requirements. As a start, here
>>>is the FDA webpage: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm
>>
>> I understand how to read the labels.
>>
>> What I'm looking for is some sort of chart that says:
>>
>> "Brand A, Flavor B has 22% protein, 42 grams phosphorus/can"
>> "Brand A, Flavor D has 2% protein, 33 grams phosphorus/can"
>> etc..
>>
>> I just might be missing it, but phosphorus levels in particular
>> seem to be missing from the labels.
>>
>> Perhaps I need a stronger magnifying glass.
>>

>>>Higher cost is not necessarily "better". I thought I'd try a pack of the
>>>new Purina "Naturals" until I read the label and saw that it is only for
>>>adult cats. Literally decades ago, Consumer Reports did an actual feeding
>>>comparison of cat foods, using kittens. It had a bad outcome in that some
>>>of the kittens developed such a nutritional deficit that they died. The
>>>"lesson learned" for me was to feed a variety of types and flavors of
>>>food, from different manufacturers.
>>>
>>><...>
>>
>> I'm not really shopping by cost alone, and I am trying to check out as
>> many different brands as there are in PetSmart and Petco including the
>> house brands.
>>

>--

Claude V. Lucas
August 1st 06, 06:12 PM
In article >,
The Cat Whisperer > wrote:
>http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/tp/tpcannedadult.htm
>
>I use the #1 choice, natural balance, it is not expensive, and my cats love
>it more than any other I have tried!
>So, I get happy cats and know they are getting excellent nutrition.

Thanks for that one too.

I've been buying one can of a bunch of different kinds to see
what Bubba likes and he's liked the Natural Balance so it's
gonna go on the "buy more" list...

The Cat Whisperer
August 1st 06, 06:28 PM
I just noticed that it has 1.60 of phosphorus, which was high on the list,
but I emailed the mfg for an update to the 2003 list.
I will continue to use it regardless, mixed with Innova Dry and the
occasional can of Wellness and their FAVORITE: Innova EVO canned cat and
kitten, they go absolutely crazy for that!
Chris

"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> The Cat Whisperer > wrote:
>>http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/tp/tpcannedadult.htm
>>
>>I use the #1 choice, natural balance, it is not expensive, and my cats
>>love
>>it more than any other I have tried!
>>So, I get happy cats and know they are getting excellent nutrition.
>>

> Thanks for that one too.
>
> I've been buying one can of a bunch of different kinds to see
> what Bubba likes and he's liked the Natural Balance so it's
> gonna go on the "buy more" list...

The Cat Whisperer
August 1st 06, 06:45 PM
human food is not too good for your cat dude, smoke another one and blow
them a stinger!
"bobmarley" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> >
>> >Is this any help??
>> >http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm
>

> just kidding Claude V Lucas
>
> enthuze away
>
> there is defintely a difference in foods
>
> lately i've been feeding my whatever meat I cook
>
> by this, they forgo the cans of food and wait for dinner
>
> they are like family now...(my cats I mean)
>
> once I start cooking they get good as gold and get happy
> they fight each other, they lay around all pretty
>
> they think I am a god
>
> I usually season with a few herbs, vewy widdle salt
>
> they like all kinds of meat
>
> their favorite is lamb
>
> they are even taking to eating veggies
> but this morning my youngest helped me eat a bag of cheddar ruffles
> (well.. one chip anyway.. so cute)

The Cat Whisperer
August 1st 06, 09:18 PM
Calculations for Canned Cat Formula on a Dry Matter bases:
Protein: 40.9%
Fat: 22.7%
Phosphorus: 1.45% - 1.63%
Sodium: 0.45%

"The Cat Whisperer" > wrote in message
.. .
> http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/tp/tpcannedadult.htm
>
> I use the #1 choice, natural balance, it is not expensive, and my cats
> love it more than any other I have tried!
> So, I get happy cats and know they are getting excellent nutrition.

bobmarley
August 2nd 06, 02:30 AM
The Cat Whisperer wrote:
> human food is not too good for your cat dude, smoke another one and blow
> them a stinger!

well that depends on what it is

lamb, beef, pork, chicen

I mean, that IS what you are buying in the cat food can right?

the cat food cans boast.. "MORE CHICKEN CHUNKS, MORE FISH CHUNKS"
etc

Megan makes her own cat food, she's got a manger for her cats

Ann
August 2nd 06, 03:49 AM
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:30:21 -0700, bobmarley wrote:

> The Cat Whisperer wrote:
>> human food is not too good for your cat dude, smoke another one and blow
>> them a stinger!
>
> well that depends on what it is
>
> lamb, beef, pork, chicen
>
> I mean, that IS what you are buying in the cat food can right?

Actually, no. I'm buying a balanced food for cats. Particularly
compared to premium 3oz cans like Fancy Feast, buying meat would cost
less. Yes, budget cat food does have too high a percentage of byproducts,
but byproducts are part of a "natural" cat diet, as are the bones and
whatever the prey animal has in its digestive tract.

But, in spite of knowing that, I do admit to "sharing" sometimes. <g>