PDA

View Full Version : Will an new cat pee on my carpet where my old cat peed?

Marilyn44
July 30th 06, 03:13 PM
I had an 11yr old cat the constantly peed in the hallway and pretty much
where she felt like it despite keeping her litter box clean. We eventually
gave her away because of this. I could not take it anymore cleaning carpet
twice a week only to have her pee again on the same areas. My children want a
new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same areas to mark its spot? If so I am
done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess and
trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent and
do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my home.

Gail
July 30th 06, 03:25 PM
If you cannot medical care for a pet, you should definitely not get one. All
pets needs vaccinations, spaying/neutering, and become ill. YOur 11 year old
cat probably had a urinary tract infection that needed treatment.
Gail
"Marilyn44" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I had an 11yr old cat the constantly peed in the hallway and pretty much
> where she felt like it despite keeping her litter box clean. We eventually
> gave her away because of this. I could not take it anymore cleaning carpet
> twice a week only to have her pee again on the same areas. My children
> want a
> new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same areas to mark its spot? If so I
> am
> done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess
> and
> trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent
> and
> do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
> antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my
> home.

Janet B
July 30th 06, 03:31 PM
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:13:38 GMT, "Marilyn44" <[email protected]>, clicked
their heels and said:

> If so I am
>done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess and
>trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent and
>do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
>antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my home.

I think you don't need a pet. Pets are not disposable. If they have a
problem, physical or behavioral, you need to step up to the plate and
deal with it. If you are emotionally and financially unable to do so,
it's best to not own a pet. Giving away an 11 year old cat with a
peeing problem. The mind boggles. My very problematic in many ways
kitty, Carey, just turned 13 on Thursday. As much as it's been
difficult to deal with her issues, her meds aren't very expensive and
they DO help. And I wouldn't dream of trying to pawn her off on
someone else - she's my responsibility.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

MaryL
July 30th 06, 04:34 PM
"Marilyn44" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I had an 11yr old cat the constantly peed in the hallway and pretty much
> where she felt like it despite keeping her litter box clean. We eventually
> gave her away because of this. I could not take it anymore cleaning carpet
> twice a week only to have her pee again on the same areas. My children
> want a
> new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same areas to mark its spot? If so I
> am
> done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess
> and
> trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent
> and
> do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
> antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my
> home.

You should not get another cat. First, there is a great likelihood that
your cat had a medical problem (such as UTI) that caused inappropriate
peeing. If you cannot or will not take care of veterinary bills as they
arise, you should not consider getting another cat. I cannot envision
giving away an 11-year-old cat. Surely you know that this cat may end up
being euthanized! Second, you asked if another cat will pee in the same
places. There is no guarantee, but that is a possibility. Cats can detect
odors that we cannot, so the scent may still be there.

MaryL

Ann
July 30th 06, 04:44 PM
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:13:38 +0000, Marilyn44 wrote:

> I had an 11yr old cat the constantly peed in the hallway and pretty much
> where she felt like it despite keeping her litter box clean. We
> eventually gave her away because of this. I could not take it anymore
> cleaning carpet twice a week only to have her pee again on the same
> areas. My children want a new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same
> areas to mark its spot? If so I am done with cats and the smell and the
> work involved cleaning up the mess and trying to keep my house from
> smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent and do not have extra money
> to take the cats to the vet and put them on antidepressents. I spend
> enough on medical issues for the children in my home.

It's near impossible to get rid of a urine odor by just cleaning the
carpeting. One has to take it up and clean the floor underneath. And even
if you could do that, it doesn't sound like another pet is a good idea
right now. Rightly, your children are your first priority ... but that
shouldn't include providing them with another pet that you know you can't
take care of.

angel
July 30th 06, 05:32 PM
Marilyn44 wrote:
> My children want a
> new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same areas to mark its spot? If so I am
> done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess and
> trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent and
> do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
> antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my home.

you ****ed everybody here off by giving your cat away
get the kids a slip-n-slide instead

don't get a cat

not unless you are willing to care for it for life.

it's a life long commitment

TILL DEATH DO YOU PART

just get a slip-n-slide or a chia pet

Barb
July 30th 06, 06:11 PM
A new cat will definitely pee where the last cat peed and then find some new
places like on your bed and your kitchen table.

It's a shame you didn't take your last cat to a vet where you most likely
would have been given a pill a day for 10 days for the cat. You had the
poor little cat for 11 years and obviously couldn't have cared less about
her. You have taught your child that when a pet becomes old and ill just
palm the pet off on someone else. Your child will remember this, believe
me. My son is in his thirties and he can tell you about the care we gave
each of our aging cats.

Don't get another pet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Tabby
July 30th 06, 07:38 PM
Barb wrote:
> A new cat will definitely pee where the last cat peed and then find some new
> places like on your bed and your kitchen table.
>
> It's a shame you didn't take your last cat to a vet where you most likely
> would have been given a pill a day for 10 days for the cat. You had the
> poor little cat for 11 years and obviously couldn't have cared less about
> her. You have taught your child that when a pet becomes old and ill just
> palm the pet off on someone else. Your child will remember this, believe
> me. My son is in his thirties and he can tell you about the care we gave
> each of our aging cats.

Her child just may remember this when she becomes old and ill, and think
it is okay. Be careful with the lessons you teach your children.

> Don't get another pet.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Matthew
July 30th 06, 07:44 PM
Don't ever get another animal with comments that you made you are
definitely not a person that ever needs to have a animal again. Cats are
like kids they get sick and need health care

"Marilyn44" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I had an 11yr old cat the constantly peed in the hallway and pretty much
> where she felt like it despite keeping her litter box clean. We eventually
> gave her away because of this. I could not take it anymore cleaning carpet
> twice a week only to have her pee again on the same areas. My children
> want a
> new kitty. Will a new cat pee in the same areas to mark its spot? If so I
> am
> done with cats and the smell and the work involved cleaning up the mess
> and
> trying to keep my house from smelling like cat pee. I am a single parent
> and
> do not have extra money to take the cats to the vet and put them on
> antidepressents. I spend enough on medical issues for the children in my
> home.

angel
July 30th 06, 10:22 PM
Tabby wrote:

> Her child just may remember this when she becomes old and ill, and think
> it is okay. Be careful with the lessons you teach your children.

fate is not without a sense of irony

I STOLE THAT TOO CYBERCAT, I GOT IT FROM THE MATRIX

HAVE YOU SEEN THAT ONE YET?

katt
July 31st 06, 10:57 AM
sorry the way i see it is before you just gave up on your cat , you
should have made some phone calls or even come on here and made phone
calls there are alot of places to get help or advice for animals , and
if you would have called the vet they would have prolly made it so you
could pay in small payments the little it would have cost you to get
this corrected , or if you had called the animal shelter most have
will and do help get animals med attention and or food , i know that
for sure , when my friend lost her job and had lil money for a couple
months the animal shelter provided her with food for her animals and
even there flea preventative pills , they are there for the animal and
would much rather help you take care of them then not be able to find a
home as there are sooo many that already need homes, and they know
everyone has hard times , and if they see you trying because you love
your animal they would rather he / she be where their home is , hope
you read this because if your ever gonna have a pet again and come
across hard times you might want to pick up your phone and get your
animal the care it needs ,,,anyways im done

Barb
July 31st 06, 09:23 PM
Tabby,
I had the same thought myself. What did she teach her child to do with
her when she becomes old and ill!

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.