PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a stray cat?

July 31st 06, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone.

About a month ago a very skinny and very cute cat appeared on my
doorstep and we started feeding him. I called every shelter and animal
rescue organization and they don't have any reports of him or a lost
cat that is even close. I would love to adopt him, but I am not sure
what I need to do to make that possible.

I have 2 indoor cats already (and hadn't intended to get another one,
but I think he adopted me) and I am not entirely sure what the risks
are. I know I have to take him to the vet before he can come inside,
but will that make it safe to introduce them over time?

My other question is: Does anyone have a good idea for trapping him
without scaring him to death? I looked at the hav-a-heart traps, but I
am afraid of getting all the neighborhood cats but him. If you have
any ideas, please let me know. He's such a pretty cat and he seems
really sweet the less he is afraid of me.

Thanks so much,

Anna

Ann
August 1st 06, 02:15 AM
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:10:45 -0700, anna.muldoon wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> About a month ago a very skinny and very cute cat appeared on my
> doorstep and we started feeding him. I called every shelter and animal
> rescue organization and they don't have any reports of him or a lost
> cat that is even close. I would love to adopt him, but I am not sure
> what I need to do to make that possible.
>
> I have 2 indoor cats already (and hadn't intended to get another one,
> but I think he adopted me) and I am not entirely sure what the risks
> are. I know I have to take him to the vet before he can come inside,
> but will that make it safe to introduce them over time?

Your vet can give you advice about the health aspects. As for how the
cats will get along ... what's the age/sex/spay-neuter status of all 3
cats? Over the years I've never run into a situation where
spayed/neutered cats didn't at least tolerate each other. The usual
approach is to put the new cat in a separate room with his own litter box,
food and water, a few toys, etc. at first.

> My other question is: Does anyone have a good idea for trapping him
> without scaring him to death? I looked at the hav-a-heart traps, but I
> am afraid of getting all the neighborhood cats but him. If you have any
> ideas, please let me know. He's such a pretty cat and he seems really
> sweet the less he is afraid of me.

Before you resort to a trap, try staying outside when you put his food
out. Sit down at a distance that he's comfortable enough with to eat. Do
stay still but usually talking in a calm voice is good. He may be more
comfortable if you're not directly facing him. If he is a stray or
abandoned cat rather than a feral, there probably was a time when a human
was good to him. Take it slow and see how it goes.
> Thanks so much,
>
> Anna

Gail Futoran
August 1st 06, 07:23 PM
"Ann" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:10:45 -0700, anna.muldoon wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> About a month ago a very skinny and very cute cat appeared on my
>> doorstep and we started feeding him. I called every shelter and animal
>> rescue organization and they don't have any reports of him or a lost
>> cat that is even close. I would love to adopt him, but I am not sure
>> what I need to do to make that possible.
>>
>> I have 2 indoor cats already (and hadn't intended to get another one,
>> but I think he adopted me) and I am not entirely sure what the risks
>> are. I know I have to take him to the vet before he can come inside,
>> but will that make it safe to introduce them over time?
>
> Your vet can give you advice about the health aspects. As for how the
> cats will get along ... what's the age/sex/spay-neuter status of all 3
> cats? Over the years I've never run into a situation where
> spayed/neutered cats didn't at least tolerate each other. The usual
> approach is to put the new cat in a separate room with his own litter box,
> food and water, a few toys, etc. at first.
>
>> My other question is: Does anyone have a good idea for trapping him
>> without scaring him to death? I looked at the hav-a-heart traps, but I
>> am afraid of getting all the neighborhood cats but him. If you have any
>> ideas, please let me know. He's such a pretty cat and he seems really
>> sweet the less he is afraid of me.
>
> Before you resort to a trap, try staying outside when you put his food
> out. Sit down at a distance that he's comfortable enough with to eat. Do
> stay still but usually talking in a calm voice is good. He may be more
> comfortable if you're not directly facing him. If he is a stray or
> abandoned cat rather than a feral, there probably was a time when a human
> was good to him. Take it slow and see how it goes.
>> Thanks so much,
>>
>> Anna

I heartily second Ann's advice on "trapping"
a stray. We adopted one in December using
a similar technique - gradually getting the stray
used to our presence while she ate food we
provided. Our carriers are open on the top as
well as in front. It took two of us to get this
skinny (7 lbs) female into the carrier, she struggled
so hard, but never bit or clawed us. Once she
proved negative for FeLV and FIV, we had her
spayed & vaccinated. She adjusted quickly to
being indoors and now will not go outside! (We
hadn't planned to adopt, rather TNR, but that
changed once she got a taste of the good life... <g>)

Keep feeding your stray, be friendly, get him
used to you, and I suspect you'll have a
similar result to ours.

Gail F.
Owned By Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

August 10th 06, 06:58 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my good news. My stray cat came up and touched
me today. He still sits a bit away, but he reached out and slept with
his paw on my finger.

Just wanted to say the sitting with him while eating advice works!

And I am taking him to the vet in a week, so he can come inside with
me.

Thanks everyone,

Anna

The Polish-Kraut
August 10th 06, 01:47 PM
>Hi everyone,
>
>I just wanted to share my good news. My stray cat came up and touched
>me today. He still sits a bit away, but he reached out and slept with
>his paw on my finger.
>
>Just wanted to say the sitting with him while eating advice works!
>
>And I am taking him to the vet in a week, so he can come inside with
>me.
>
>Thanks everyone,
>
>Anna

Congrats and good luck with him.

I know at times when people say "Have patience" it sounds like a
broken record but it really does work.

Maybe eventually a pic of it ??

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/