PDA

View Full Version : ?Deaf Kitty?

JDix
August 1st 06, 09:56 PM
We just got a new kitten... and we think she is deaf. She doesn't
respond to any noises whatsoever. She is a grey tabby with a white
chest,belly, and 'boots' and appears to have bluish green eyes. I have
heard that white cats w/ blue eyes can sometimes be born deaf... but
I'm not too sure this little one falls under that category. I called my
vet and they should be getting back to me sometime today or tomorrow.
Any help/advise would be great. Thanks. =)

August 2nd 06, 02:19 AM
JDix wrote:
> We just got a new kitten... and we think she is deaf. She doesn't
> respond to any noises whatsoever. She is a grey tabby with a white
> chest,belly, and 'boots' and appears to have bluish green eyes. I have
> heard that white cats w/ blue eyes can sometimes be born deaf... but
> I'm not too sure this little one falls under that category. I called my
> vet and they should be getting back to me sometime today or tomorrow.
> Any help/advise would be great. Thanks. =)

I read that deaf cats should be raised with a hearing cat companuion.
They take cues from the hearin cat. dont know if this is so.

John Ross Mc Master
August 2nd 06, 02:47 AM
On 1 Aug 2006 18:19:42 -0700, wrote:

>JDix wrote:
>> We just got a new kitten... and we think she is deaf. She doesn't
>> respond to any noises whatsoever. She is a grey tabby with a white
>> chest,belly, and 'boots' and appears to have bluish green eyes. I have
>> heard that white cats w/ blue eyes can sometimes be born deaf... but
>> I'm not too sure this little one falls under that category. I called my
>> vet and they should be getting back to me sometime today or tomorrow.
>> Any help/advise would be great. Thanks. =)
>
>I read that deaf cats should be raised with a hearing cat companuion.
>They take cues from the hearin cat. dont know if this is so.

It makes sense in a funny way. I think you're right.

Also remember that a cat gets by more on scent than we do. The loss of
hearing is not as important as it would be for us.

bobmarley
August 2nd 06, 12:16 PM
JDix wrote:
> We just got a new kitten... and we think she is deaf. She doesn't
> respond to any noises whatsoever. She is a grey tabby with a white
> chest,belly, and 'boots' and appears to have bluish green eyes. I have
> heard that white cats w/ blue eyes can sometimes be born deaf... but
> I'm not too sure this little one falls under that category. I called my
> vet and they should be getting back to me sometime today or tomorrow.
> Any help/advise would be great. Thanks. =)

another poster here has a cat that is deaf AND blind
the cat does very well, and no special tricks employed...

the biggest thing is they have to be careful not to startle her
would make for a nervous cat

so for example, they may approach her in stages
like.. shaking the bed before they pet her
that sort of thing