PDA

View Full Version : Do cats talk to each other?

Niel Humphreys
August 2nd 06, 08:18 AM
After 10 days in the spare room my new 6 month old kitty Pink was allowed
out in the house yesterday to integrate with her 2 older brothers Teal'c and
Thor. She was the usual playful kitten - all teeth and claws until she met
Teal'c. While Thor hissed and generally didn't want anything to do with her
Teal'c just followed her about and generally hung around touching noses and
being friendly which was nice but he's a sweetie so almost expected.

What I didn't expect is that last night when having a play with Pink she was
sheathing her claws and just using her pads to grip my hands towards her
face for a head-rub instead of using claws to try and get them into her
mouth for a chomp. This is exactly how Teal'c plays, he never uses his claws
either with me or Thor. I don't remember seeing Teal'c and Pink play
fighting yesterday - she's still a bit wary anyway, it's almost as if Teal'c
has told her not to use claws. Unlikely I know but what a co-incidence for
her to change that aspect so suddenly.

--

Niel H

bobmarley
August 2nd 06, 12:07 PM
Niel Humphreys wrote:
Unlikely I know but what a co-incidence for
> her to change that aspect so suddenly.

understandable but I don't think anyone showed im the ropes

I think he's happy as hell to be in general population and doesnt' want
to do anything to spoil it for himself

cybercat
August 2nd 06, 02:36 PM
"Niel Humphreys" > wrote in
message ...
> After 10 days in the spare room my new 6 month old kitty Pink was allowed
> out in the house yesterday to integrate with her 2 older brothers Teal'c
and
> Thor. She was the usual playful kitten - all teeth and claws until she met
> Teal'c. While Thor hissed and generally didn't want anything to do with
her
> Teal'c just followed her about and generally hung around touching noses
and
> being friendly which was nice but he's a sweetie so almost expected.
>
> What I didn't expect is that last night when having a play with Pink she
was
> sheathing her claws and just using her pads to grip my hands towards her
> face for a head-rub instead of using claws to try and get them into her
> mouth for a chomp. This is exactly how Teal'c plays, he never uses his
claws
> either with me or Thor. I don't remember seeing Teal'c and Pink play
> fighting yesterday - she's still a bit wary anyway, it's almost as if
Teal'c
> has told her not to use claws. Unlikely I know but what a co-incidence for
> her to change that aspect so suddenly.

She sounds like a real keeper. :)

August 2nd 06, 06:15 PM
In article >,
says...
> After 10 days in the spare room my new 6 month old kitty Pink was allowed
> out in the house yesterday to integrate with her 2 older brothers Teal'c and
> Thor. She was the usual playful kitten - all teeth and claws until she met
> Teal'c. While Thor hissed and generally didn't want anything to do with her
> Teal'c just followed her about and generally hung around touching noses and
> being friendly which was nice but he's a sweetie so almost expected.
>
> What I didn't expect is that last night when having a play with Pink she was
> sheathing her claws and just using her pads to grip my hands towards her
> face for a head-rub instead of using claws to try and get them into her
> mouth for a chomp. This is exactly how Teal'c plays, he never uses his claws
> either with me or Thor. I don't remember seeing Teal'c and Pink play
> fighting yesterday - she's still a bit wary anyway, it's almost as if Teal'c
> has told her not to use claws. Unlikely I know but what a co-incidence for
> her to change that aspect so suddenly.

They definitely learn behaviors from each other. For example - until I
added a third cat the other two were completley normal cats.

When the third came in he'd scrape his food out of the bowl and eat it
off the floor, now the other cats do the same.

Cosimo would also lay on his back and let you rub his tummy. Now my
eldest cat does that.

It's too bad we had to put Cosimo down. He was a great cat.

Niel Humphreys
August 2nd 06, 06:54 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
> When the third came in he'd scrape his food out of the bowl and eat it
> off the floor, now the other cats do the same.

Teehee my Thor does that. :)
--

Niel H

Outsider
August 2nd 06, 10:11 PM
"Niel Humphreys" > wrote in
:

> "T" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> In article >,
>> says...
>> When the third came in he'd scrape his food out of the bowl and eat it
>> off the floor, now the other cats do the same.
>

> Teehee my Thor does that. :)

Great names! Is Thor skinny with no hair? That would really fit.