PDA

View Full Version : Sudden temporary paralysis

Richard Evans
August 3rd 06, 11:58 PM
I have a cat about ten years old, neutered male, diabetic controlled
by insulin. A few minutes ago he started crying as if he were in pain
and his hind legs went out from under him. He seemed to be paralyzed
in the hind quarters. While we were trying to figure out what was
wrong, he defected then seemed to recover. He's up walking around now.
We are trying to get hold of our vet, but has anyone seen anything
like this?

Phil P.
August 4th 06, 12:13 AM
"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
> I have a cat about ten years old, neutered male, diabetic controlled
> by insulin. A few minutes ago he started crying as if he were in pain
> and his hind legs went out from under him. He seemed to be paralyzed
> in the hind quarters. While we were trying to figure out what was
> wrong, he defected then seemed to recover. He's up walking around now.
> We are trying to get hold of our vet, but has anyone seen anything
> like this?

Check his rear paws for coolness and/or a bluish color (cyan) around his
claw beds. He might have had a small clot at the terminal abdominal aorta
(the aortic trifurcation). He should probably have an echocardiogram even
if his paws are normal and he's acting ok.

Good luck,

Phil