PDA

View Full Version : IBD and not eating well

August 4th 06, 12:38 PM
All,

I have a 14 year old who has been diagnosed with IBD. Previously, she
had stopped eating and was vomitting. We started her on Flagyll and
Predisone and put her on Rabbit and Pea, Venison etc and she
recovered. We tapered off gradually over about six months. Suddenly,
about five days ago, she stopped eating again. Took her to the vet
and bloodwork shows IBD is flairing up again. We've increased the
meds again. Problem is that she still not showing much interest in
eating. I'm pretty sure she got dehydrated and we took her back
yesterday for water infusion. She ate some last night but only a tiny
bit this morning. I'm worried about her dehydrating again and not
eating enough. Keeping her restricted diet in mind, what can I do to
ensure she gets enough water and starts to eat more?

Thanks for any ideas you can offer,

Rob

StarseekR
August 4th 06, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a really difficult situation... Can you make drinking a
little more fun somehow? Giving it in a place she normally is not
allowed to go, or from the tap or in some other novel way? We had a cat
who just loved to drink from the tap, and if we just played a little
with the running water with our fingers she would lap at it, no matter
how ill she was feeling.

Gail
August 4th 06, 01:30 PM
I had a cat for many years who had IBD. When this happened to her, I would
give her warmed, meated baby foods (without onion) until she regained her
appetite.
Gail
> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have a 14 year old who has been diagnosed with IBD. Previously, she
> had stopped eating and was vomitting. We started her on Flagyll and
> Predisone and put her on Rabbit and Pea, Venison etc and she
> recovered. We tapered off gradually over about six months. Suddenly,
> about five days ago, she stopped eating again. Took her to the vet
> and bloodwork shows IBD is flairing up again. We've increased the
> meds again. Problem is that she still not showing much interest in
> eating. I'm pretty sure she got dehydrated and we took her back
> yesterday for water infusion. She ate some last night but only a tiny
> bit this morning. I'm worried about her dehydrating again and not
> eating enough. Keeping her restricted diet in mind, what can I do to
> ensure she gets enough water and starts to eat more?
>
> Thanks for any ideas you can offer,
>
> Rob

Rene S.
August 4th 06, 04:47 PM
Rob,

You need to talk to your vet about giving sub-Q fluids at home to your
kitty. It's easy to do (I've done it) and takes only a few minutes.
This will get her through her tough time, and save both of you the
stress of bringing her to the vets.

Keep in mind that you may need to *insist* on doing this--my previous
vet didn't want me to learn. It's really becoming more and more common,
especially with kitties who have renal failure. Your vet can show you
how, and there are instructions online too. Also insist on an 18 gauge
needle--it's a bit larger so the fluids will flow faster into your
kitty.

Your vet can advise about the amount of fluid to give.

I wish you luck.Please let us know what happens.

August 4th 06, 09:42 PM
On 4 Aug 2006 05:21:02 -0700, "StarseekR" > wrote:

>Sounds like a really difficult situation... Can you make drinking a
>little more fun somehow? Giving it in a place she normally is not
>allowed to go, or from the tap or in some other novel way? We had a cat
>who just loved to drink from the tap, and if we just played a little
>with the running water with our fingers she would lap at it, no matter
>how ill she was feeling.

Unfortunately she is a bump on a log and doesn't like to do much.

August 4th 06, 09:51 PM
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:30:42 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>I had a cat for many years who had IBD. When this happened to her, I would
>give her warmed, meated baby foods (without onion) until she regained her
>appetite.

Wouldn't that cause the alergic reaction that we're attempting to
avoid with the special diet? I have to admit, I'm somewhat tempted to
try it. The doctor suggested another water shot to make sure she
stays hydrated through the weekend. She is eating a bit, but I don't
know at what level of intake I should be concerned.

Thanks,
Rob

>Gail
> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I have a 14 year old who has been diagnosed with IBD. Previously, she
>> had stopped eating and was vomitting. We started her on Flagyll and
>> Predisone and put her on Rabbit and Pea, Venison etc and she
>> recovered. We tapered off gradually over about six months. Suddenly,
>> about five days ago, she stopped eating again. Took her to the vet
>> and bloodwork shows IBD is flairing up again. We've increased the
>> meds again. Problem is that she still not showing much interest in
>> eating. I'm pretty sure she got dehydrated and we took her back
>> yesterday for water infusion. She ate some last night but only a tiny
>> bit this morning. I'm worried about her dehydrating again and not
>> eating enough. Keeping her restricted diet in mind, what can I do to
>> ensure she gets enough water and starts to eat more?
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas you can offer,
>>
>> Rob

August 4th 06, 09:52 PM
On 4 Aug 2006 08:47:51 -0700, "Rene S." >
wrote:

>Rob,
>
>You need to talk to your vet about giving sub-Q fluids at home to your
>kitty. It's easy to do (I've done it) and takes only a few minutes.
>This will get her through her tough time, and save both of you the
>stress of bringing her to the vets.
>
>Keep in mind that you may need to *insist* on doing this--my previous
>vet didn't want me to learn. It's really becoming more and more common,
>especially with kitties who have renal failure. Your vet can show you
>how, and there are instructions online too. Also insist on an 18 gauge
>needle--it's a bit larger so the fluids will flow faster into your
>kitty.
>
>Your vet can advise about the amount of fluid to give.
>
>I wish you luck.Please let us know what happens.

She's out getting an infusion right now to get through the weekend. I
will definitely think about your suggestion should this not improve
much over the weekend.

August 5th 06, 05:31 AM
Rene S. wrote:
> Rob,
>
> You need to talk to your vet about giving sub-Q fluids at home to your
> kitty. It's easy to do (I've done it) and takes only a few minutes.
> This will get her through her tough time, and save both of you the
> stress of bringing her to the vets.

I did this too with Maynard. It was very easy to do, and much less
stressful than repeated trips to the vet. I think the pack was $25 and
included enough for 10 days for the amount Maynard needed. The needle
didn't bother him. We just had him sit on my mom's lap while I did what
I needed to, and he enjoyed the attention. I was abit nervous a couple
times, but it went fine.

I had to ask since my vet didn't suggest it. This was not my regular
vet, but a closer one I tried. But when I asked, they were quite
agreeable, did the first dose at the office so I could learn hands on,
and they didn't charge me for the teaching session.

August 5th 06, 01:51 PM
On 4 Aug 2006 21:31:40 -0700, "
> wrote:

>Rene S. wrote:
>> Rob,
>>
>> You need to talk to your vet about giving sub-Q fluids at home to your
>> kitty. It's easy to do (I've done it) and takes only a few minutes.
>> This will get her through her tough time, and save both of you the
>> stress of bringing her to the vets.
>>

>I did this too with Maynard. It was very easy to do, and much less
>stressful than repeated trips to the vet. I think the pack was $25 and
>included enough for 10 days for the amount Maynard needed. The needle
>didn't bother him. We just had him sit on my mom's lap while I did what
>I needed to, and he enjoyed the attention. I was abit nervous a couple
>times, but it went fine.
>
>I had to ask since my vet didn't suggest it. This was not my regular
>vet, but a closer one I tried. But when I asked, they were quite
>agreeable, did the first dose at the office so I could learn hands on,
>and they didn't charge me for the teaching session.

Well, on the plus side, she is eating. Probably about 1/4 of what she
was eating before, but she's eating. I feel so terrible that I have
to close her up in the bedroom when I leave the house. I've been
trying to have food available for her at all times and her brother
will eat anything in sight!