PDA

View Full Version : drinking water for cats

Mr E
August 4th 06, 02:49 PM
My cat will not drink from a bowl, he just upturnes it soaking everywhere so
now I have to leave the tap in the sink running for him for drinks.

Anyone elses cat do this??

William Hamblen
August 4th 06, 03:40 PM
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:49:23 GMT, "Mr E" > wrote:

>My cat will not drink from a bowl, he just upturnes it soaking everywhere so
>now I have to leave the tap in the sink running for him for drinks.
>
>Anyone elses cat do this??

Sometimes.

One of those bowls that is broader at the bottom than at the top and
is harder to turn over might do the trick.

Bud

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Michelle
August 4th 06, 03:50 PM
Not mine. But that must wreak havoc with your water bill! Have you
considered one of those pet fountains? It uses a pump to give
continuous "running" water from a reservoir. There's a pic here:
http://www.petfountain.com/

Mr E wrote:
> My cat will not drink from a bowl, he just upturnes it soaking everywhere so
> now I have to leave the tap in the sink running for him for drinks.
>
> Anyone elses cat do this??

Mr E
August 4th 06, 04:45 PM
I bought a bowl with a massive ring at the botom but he still tips it ove,
id need to concrete it to the floor lol

Michelle, luckily I live in rainy scotland so dont have a water bill as
such, I pay a standard water charge every year
"Michelle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Not mine. But that must wreak havoc with your water bill! Have you
> considered one of those pet fountains? It uses a pump to give
> continuous "running" water from a reservoir. There's a pic here:
> http://www.petfountain.com/
>
> Mr E wrote:
>> My cat will not drink from a bowl, he just upturnes it soaking everywhere
>> so
>> now I have to leave the tap in the sink running for him for drinks.
>>
>> Anyone elses cat do this??

August 4th 06, 05:03 PM
In article >,
says...
> My cat will not drink from a bowl, he just upturnes it soaking everywhere so
> now I have to leave the tap in the sink running for him for drinks.
>
> Anyone elses cat do this??

Get one of those fountains. My cats love the one I got them. It's the
Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow.
http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=205

And btw, the filters are pretty useles if you have more than one cat. At
least once a week I do give the unit a thorough cleaning to remove the
cat hair etc. that clogs the pump. A better design would have put the
filter in front of the pump but they put the filter in the well.

I've found that by not using the filter in the well I get better flow,
and it's a convenient place to put a couple ice cubes to cool the water
down.

Mr E
August 4th 06, 07:39 PM
That looks really cool! I think ill look into getting one of them actually.
A bit more cleaner than having him jump on the sink

Thanks for that

"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
>> My cat will not drink from a bowl, he just upturnes it soaking everywhere
>> so
>> now I have to leave the tap in the sink running for him for drinks.
>>
>> Anyone elses cat do this??
>>

> Get one of those fountains. My cats love the one I got them. It's the
> Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow.
> http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=205
>

> And btw, the filters are pretty useles if you have more than one cat. At
> least once a week I do give the unit a thorough cleaning to remove the
> cat hair etc. that clogs the pump. A better design would have put the
> filter in front of the pump but they put the filter in the well.
>
> I've found that by not using the filter in the well I get better flow,
> and it's a convenient place to put a couple ice cubes to cool the water
> down.

Michelle
August 4th 06, 08:46 PM
Ah lucky you. Our city fathers had the genius idea to build a city in
the middle of a coastal desert (San Diego, California), although I
guess the bay does make a nice harbor for ships of conquest past and
present ;)

Out of curiosity, how much is your standard water fee? For reference,
my water bill last month was $25.

Definitely check out the pet fountains, and I second the comment that
the filter hinders more than helps. I keep planning to buy one for my
own cat but it keeps get pushed to the bottom of the priority list.

Mr E wrote:
> I bought a bowl with a massive ring at the botom but he still tips it ove,
> id need to concrete it to the floor lol
>
> Michelle, luckily I live in rainy scotland so dont have a water bill as
> such, I pay a standard water charge every year
> "Michelle" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Not mine. But that must wreak havoc with your water bill! Have you
> > considered one of those pet fountains? It uses a pump to give
> > continuous "running" water from a reservoir. There's a pic here:
> > http://www.petfountain.com/
> >
> > Mr E wrote:
> >> My cat will not drink from a bowl, he just upturnes it soaking everywhere
> >> so
> >> now I have to leave the tap in the sink running for him for drinks.
> >>
> >> Anyone elses cat do this??

Mr E
August 4th 06, 08:56 PM
I am not totally positive as it is in with my council tax rates but I think
it is roughly 80 a year.

I watched the wee video for the fountain and it looks really fun for the cat
too. I only have 1 so a medium one would probably be ok for me eh? I have a
store up the road that stocks them, checked their website earlier
"Michelle" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ah lucky you. Our city fathers had the genius idea to build a city in
> the middle of a coastal desert (San Diego, California), although I
> guess the bay does make a nice harbor for ships of conquest past and
> present ;)
>
> Out of curiosity, how much is your standard water fee? For reference,
> my water bill last month was $25.
>
> Definitely check out the pet fountains, and I second the comment that
> the filter hinders more than helps. I keep planning to buy one for my
> own cat but it keeps get pushed to the bottom of the priority list.
>

> Mr E wrote:
>> I bought a bowl with a massive ring at the botom but he still tips it
>> ove,
>> id need to concrete it to the floor lol
>>
>> Michelle, luckily I live in rainy scotland so dont have a water bill as
>> such, I pay a standard water charge every year
>> "Michelle" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > Not mine. But that must wreak havoc with your water bill! Have you
>> > considered one of those pet fountains? It uses a pump to give
>> > continuous "running" water from a reservoir. There's a pic here:
>> > http://www.petfountain.com/

August 4th 06, 10:14 PM
In article >,
says...
> I am not totally positive as it is in with my council tax rates but I think
> it is roughly 80 a year.
>
> I watched the wee video for the fountain and it looks really fun for the cat
> too. I only have 1 so a medium one would probably be ok for me eh? I have a
> store up the road that stocks them, checked their website earlier

Glad I could help. The cats really do love the thing.

As to filling it, what I generall do is put about a quart in the main
bowl, then fill up the reserve tank and put it in. It'll slowly feed out
water as the supply runs out.

80 a year translates to about 6.67 a month while in U.S. dollars it
would be $152.61 U.S. a year or $12.72 a month. I see the dollar is also
sucking badly against the Euro damn it.

Mr E
August 4th 06, 11:55 PM
Ye the pound is the same too, its drastically changed since it first came
into use in 2001...it was that year I think

Found another thing that cats love! My boyfriend has a case for his drum and
its fur lined, cat has been in it all night lol dont know if his pipe band
will be too happy with all the hairs tho tee hee but as long as my wee man
is happy :-)

Are all you guys from the US??
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
In article >,
says...
> I am not totally positive as it is in with my council tax rates but I
> think
> it is roughly 80 a year.
>
> I watched the wee video for the fountain and it looks really fun for the
> cat
> too. I only have 1 so a medium one would probably be ok for me eh? I have
> store up the road that stocks them, checked their website earlier

Glad I could help. The cats really do love the thing.

As to filling it, what I generall do is put about a quart in the main
bowl, then fill up the reserve tank and put it in. It'll slowly feed out
water as the supply runs out.

80 a year translates to about 6.67 a month while in U.S. dollars it
would be $152.61 U.S. a year or $12.72 a month. I see the dollar is also
sucking badly against the Euro damn it.

August 5th 06, 02:28 AM
In article >,
says...
> Ye the pound is the same too, its drastically changed since it first came
> into use in 2001...it was that year I think
>
> Found another thing that cats love! My boyfriend has a case for his drum and
> its fur lined, cat has been in it all night lol dont know if his pipe band
> will be too happy with all the hairs tho tee hee but as long as my wee man
> is happy :-)

My cat has an afinity for my leather jacket. Luckily fur doesn't stick
to leather all that easily.

BTW, I don't think the group is U.S. centric.