PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a starving cat?

August 4th 06, 08:15 PM
Hi Group,

I tried to search this topic but people use the term "starving" very
loosely...

I "inherited" a white female cat, she is very very boney and thin. She
has an injury to her head above the eye but it seems to be dry and
healing well. She (somehow) is still very friendly and outgoing.

Question: Is there a better food (than my regular stuff, 9 lives cans
and purina dry) for this situation? I give her medium amounts (1/2 of a
5.5oz can) at a time 2-3 times a day. She eats VERY fast and poops OK
with no diherhea so far and no puking either... She is in quarantine in
her own room with litter, water, food and a window. I vistit her now
and then...

I guess if it aint' broke don't fix it... Just thought I'd ask...

Thanks, Cat nut Karl.

Buddy
August 4th 06, 08:48 PM
How old is she? Have you taken her to the vet for a checkup? That
would be a good idea before you introduce her to the other kitties.

wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I tried to search this topic but people use the term "starving" very
> loosely...
>
> I "inherited" a white female cat, she is very very boney and thin. She
> has an injury to her head above the eye but it seems to be dry and
> healing well. She (somehow) is still very friendly and outgoing.
>
> Question: Is there a better food (than my regular stuff, 9 lives cans
> and purina dry) for this situation? I give her medium amounts (1/2 of a
> 5.5oz can) at a time 2-3 times a day. She eats VERY fast and poops OK
> with no diherhea so far and no puking either... She is in quarantine in
> her own room with litter, water, food and a window. I vistit her now
> and then...
>
> I guess if it aint' broke don't fix it... Just thought I'd ask...
>
> Thanks, Cat nut Karl.

Michelle
August 4th 06, 08:51 PM
Anything is better than nothing, which it seems is what she had before.
If she likes those foods and isn't getting sick off them then it's
probably fine...trying to change brands may upset her stomach or she
may refuse to eat them.

A trip to the vet seems like a good idea too, among other things to
make sure she doesn't have worms etc or any other conditions that would
prevent her from thriving.

wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I tried to search this topic but people use the term "starving" very
> loosely...
>
> I "inherited" a white female cat, she is very very boney and thin. She
> has an injury to her head above the eye but it seems to be dry and
> healing well. She (somehow) is still very friendly and outgoing.
>
> Question: Is there a better food (than my regular stuff, 9 lives cans
> and purina dry) for this situation? I give her medium amounts (1/2 of a
> 5.5oz can) at a time 2-3 times a day. She eats VERY fast and poops OK
> with no diherhea so far and no puking either... She is in quarantine in
> her own room with litter, water, food and a window. I vistit her now
> and then...
>
> I guess if it aint' broke don't fix it... Just thought I'd ask...
>
> Thanks, Cat nut Karl.

Mr E
August 4th 06, 08:52 PM
dont want to frighten you but I was in Yorkshire recently and fed what I
thought was a stray cat and it ate like mad! Only problem was I could not
clap it! not that it was wild, it was quite the opposite very very friendly,
turns out it was the womans accross thae road, anyway, it was painfully thin
and had sores all over its body, it was in a sorry state so I decided to
call in RSPCA. I advised them that I would be prepared to take cat on if
need be. RSPCA told the woman to take cat to vet following day. I later
found out the poor wee thing got put down :( Dont know why as the woman is
not talking to my sister now because of this. I did not want that to happen
at all, justwanted the cat looking and feeling better. So be prepared if you
do have to take it for a check up

"Michelle" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anything is better than nothing, which it seems is what she had before.
> If she likes those foods and isn't getting sick off them then it's
> probably fine...trying to change brands may upset her stomach or she
> may refuse to eat them.
>
> A trip to the vet seems like a good idea too, among other things to
> make sure she doesn't have worms etc or any other conditions that would
> prevent her from thriving.
>
> wrote:
>> Hi Group,
>>
>> I tried to search this topic but people use the term "starving" very
>> loosely...
>>
>> I "inherited" a white female cat, she is very very boney and thin. She
>> has an injury to her head above the eye but it seems to be dry and
>> healing well. She (somehow) is still very friendly and outgoing.
>>
>> Question: Is there a better food (than my regular stuff, 9 lives cans
>> and purina dry) for this situation? I give her medium amounts (1/2 of a
>> 5.5oz can) at a time 2-3 times a day. She eats VERY fast and poops OK
>> with no diherhea so far and no puking either... She is in quarantine in
>> her own room with litter, water, food and a window. I vistit her now
>> and then...
>>
>> I guess if it aint' broke don't fix it... Just thought I'd ask...
>>
>> Thanks, Cat nut Karl.

Ann
August 4th 06, 09:17 PM
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:15:48 -0700, hondaruehs wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> I tried to search this topic but people use the term "starving" very
> loosely...
>
> I "inherited" a white female cat, she is very very boney and thin. She
> has an injury to her head above the eye but it seems to be dry and
> healing well. She (somehow) is still very friendly and outgoing.
>
> Question: Is there a better food (than my regular stuff, 9 lives cans
> and purina dry) for this situation? I give her medium amounts (1/2 of a
> 5.5oz can) at a time 2-3 times a day. She eats VERY fast and poops OK
> with no diherhea so far and no puking either... She is in quarantine in
> her own room with litter, water, food and a window. I visit her now
> and then...

Do you have any idea if she has recently had kittens or is pregnant ... or
is spayed? If the first two are a possibility, I'd use Purina Kitten Chow
for the dry food. And unless she is drinking lots of water, I'd
lightly moisten it. She is going to be doing a lot of metabolizing to
regain condition and plenty of water will make that easier on her
kidneys.

If it fits in your budget, for a while I'd feed something like Fancy Feast
Gourmet Chicken Feast. The first three ingredients on the label are
chicken, chicken broth, and liver. Next best would be something like
Friskies Poultry Platter (5.5 oz); the first ingredient is turkey. I'd
avoid flavors that say "with gravy", stew, etc. Agreed with spreading it
out trough the day; I'd plan on (at least) 2x5.5 oz cans or 3x3oz cans,
supplemented with the dry food.

> I guess if it aint' broke don't fix it... Just thought I'd ask...
>
> Thanks, Cat nut Karl.

bobmarley
August 4th 06, 09:45 PM
wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I tried to search this topic but people use the term "starving" very
> loosely...
> Thanks, Cat nut Karl.

what up sun slave

it's been hot as heck in VA

cool deal on the white cat

hey, she's eating that's a start right

I suspect if she is not gaining weight soon as you would expect
(im making this up...)...

then her upper bowels are caked or lined with the garbage that brought
her to her lowly state... which means she is not quite absorbing the
fats etc... as easily..

then again.. if she was starved, I would think her body would have
absorbed the muck in an effort to stay alive.

Best to ya

Adam Helberg
August 5th 06, 12:27 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Group,
>
> I tried to search this topic but people use the term "starving" very
> loosely...
>
> I "inherited" a white female cat, she is very very boney and thin. She
> has an injury to her head above the eye but it seems to be dry and
> healing well. She (somehow) is still very friendly and outgoing.
>
> Question: Is there a better food (than my regular stuff, 9 lives cans
> and purina dry) for this situation? I give her medium amounts (1/2 of a
> 5.5oz can) at a time 2-3 times a day. She eats VERY fast and poops OK
> with no diherhea so far and no puking either... She is in quarantine in
> her own room with litter, water, food and a window. I vistit her now
> and then...
>
> I guess if it aint' broke don't fix it... Just thought I'd ask...
>
> Thanks, Cat nut Karl.

I rescued an starved abandoned senior cat (12 years old). She was found to be
hyperthyroid and is on methimazole.

You should take her to a vet for a checkup, and as far as food, let her eat as much
as she wants. She needs the calories and needs to gain weight. I like to have dry
food out all the time and give her as much canned as she wants.

Adam

Rhonda
August 5th 06, 05:38 AM
Hi there,

Sounds like she needs a check-up at the vet's. If you are feeding a
normal amount (what it says on the can) and she is boney, sounds like
there's something going on.

She could have something fairly easy to treat like worms, or something
else. Might want to get an appointment if you haven't already.

Good luck,

Rhonda

wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I tried to search this topic but people use the term "starving" very
> loosely...
>
> I "inherited" a white female cat, she is very very boney and thin. She
> has an injury to her head above the eye but it seems to be dry and
> healing well. She (somehow) is still very friendly and outgoing.
>
> Question: Is there a better food (than my regular stuff, 9 lives cans
> and purina dry) for this situation? I give her medium amounts (1/2 of a
> 5.5oz can) at a time 2-3 times a day. She eats VERY fast and poops OK
> with no diherhea so far and no puking either... She is in quarantine in
> her own room with litter, water, food and a window. I vistit her now
> and then...
>
> I guess if it aint' broke don't fix it... Just thought I'd ask...
>
> Thanks, Cat nut Karl.

LB
August 7th 06, 04:09 AM
If she has a tapeworm infestation, she'll eat like crazy and remain
malnourished. Vet should be first stop, along with a small specimen of
her stool for worm testing.

Best wishes, and thank you for taking good care of this kitty!