PDA

View Full Version : need help with catpan issues

Stacia
August 4th 06, 11:10 PM
More on the ongoing problems of Spam, our 14 1/2 year old cat.
Spam was born with cerebellar hypoplasia which causes back leg
tremors. He was diagnosed about 15 months ago with kidney failure and
cardiomyopathy.
Two weeks ago Spam stopped being able to get to the catpan on time.
Thing is, there's no reason for it. Spam's heart has improved and his
bloodwork and UA were great. I've asked two vets about Spam's bathroom
problems and they were completely unconcerned. One vet told us she
thought Spam was senile. This new vet said he thought Spam's legs were
the problem. The weird thing is Spam can get to his water bowl just
fine. No one knows WHY Spam doesn't get to the catpans.
After he peed on the couch and pooped on himself in his chair a few
times I started taking him into the catpan room myself, once a day. It
hasn't worked out. He doesn't like to be carried, he's gotten upset and
confused and creates a huge mess, pee on the floor usually, but today
was diarrhea on the walls.
We tried moving furniture so Spam's sleeping chair is near the catpans
but he apparently gets lost and goes back to where his chair USED to be.
If we try to point him toward the catpans he just turns around and comes
back. So that hasn't worked either.
It's so out of hand. The other cats get hostile at Spam's smell, and
the entire house smells horrible, as do we. Simple Solution helps but
doesn't completely eliminate the smell. Spam can't clean himself.
I am at my wits end. Everyone, humans and kitties alike, are unhappy.
Any suggestions? Are there diapers for cats?

Stacia

Ann
August 5th 06, 01:05 AM
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:10:36 +0000, Stacia wrote:

> More on the ongoing problems of Spam, our 14 1/2 year old cat.
> Spam was born with cerebellar hypoplasia which causes back leg
> tremors. He was diagnosed about 15 months ago with kidney failure and
> cardiomyopathy.
> Two weeks ago Spam stopped being able to get to the catpan on time.
> Thing is, there's no reason for it. Spam's heart has improved and his
> bloodwork and UA were great. I've asked two vets about Spam's bathroom
> problems and they were completely unconcerned. One vet told us she
> thought Spam was senile. This new vet said he thought Spam's legs were
> the problem. The weird thing is Spam can get to his water bowl just
> fine. No one knows WHY Spam doesn't get to the catpans.
> After he peed on the couch and pooped on himself in his chair a few
> times I started taking him into the catpan room myself, once a day. It
> hasn't worked out. He doesn't like to be carried, he's gotten upset and
> confused and creates a huge mess, pee on the floor usually, but today
> was diarrhea on the walls.
> We tried moving furniture so Spam's sleeping chair is near the catpans
> but he apparently gets lost and goes back to where his chair USED to be.
> If we try to point him toward the catpans he just turns around and comes
> back. So that hasn't worked either.
> It's so out of hand. The other cats get hostile at Spam's smell, and
> the entire house smells horrible, as do we. Simple Solution helps but
> doesn't completely eliminate the smell. Spam can't clean himself.
> I am at my wits end. Everyone, humans and kitties alike, are unhappy.
> Any suggestions? Are there diapers for cats?
>
> Stacia

Is he on any new medicines?

Here is a website for CH cat owners. They don't seem to have a forum, but
there are members/cats pages and some have email addresses.
http://www.chkittyclub.com/pages/members.html

Stacia
August 5th 06, 02:26 AM
Ann > writes:

>> Spam was born with cerebellar hypoplasia which causes back leg
>> tremors. He was diagnosed about 15 months ago with kidney failure and
>> cardiomyopathy.

>Is he on any new medicines?

He's just on atenolol, but has been for over a year. He did start a
new kind of Hill's KD food, but the only difference is the consistency,
I think. He loves it but maybe we'll go back to the first kind of food
just to see if it makes a difference. That's a good suggestion.

>Here is a website for CH cat owners. They don't seem to have a forum, but
>there are members/cats pages and some have email addresses.
>http://www.chkittyclub.com/pages/members.html

Thanks! I had no idea it was so common. So far the vets just kind of
seem unconcerned about it.

Stacia

Stacia
August 5th 06, 02:29 AM
"kw" > writes:

>> I am at my wits end. Everyone, humans and kitties alike, are unhappy.
>> Any suggestions? Are there diapers for cats?

>Apparently there are: http://www.petdiapers.com/
>I haven't done cat diapers but have done doggie diapers (for 6 months
>while dog was on medication). They were a lifesaver.

Thanks! I searched and found doggie diapers which I thought about
getting, if I could find them small enough. Cat diapers might be worth
a try; just after I posted earlier tonight Spam got lost in the kitchen
and pooped in there. I'm at a loss as to why he ends up in the wrong
places.

Stacia