PDA

View Full Version : Ugh - End of our rope with constipation...

Us
August 5th 06, 09:07 PM
Hi,

We are new to this group, and from what we've read it's a great
forum... Nice to see so many like-minded people!

My Miss worked at a vet clinic until recently and this problem predates
her leaving - we've never had success with it through the vet and we're
hoping to find a second opinion here. :)

We have a male, neutered and declawed. 5 years old and king of the
roost.

Well, hestarted having trouble with #2 a while back. An enema and a
switch to soft food seemed to solve the problem.

Then he needed another trip to the Doc and that was followed by the
addition of 2 doses of Lactalose to his diet. Worked for a while.

Then another trip was required... A dose of Cisapride was added to the
diet twice daily along WITH the Lactalose.

This guy is the envy of the other cats as he munches on MediCal Weight
Control soft cans to which his medicine is added.

Before my girlfriend finished at the vet, they gave her the materials
to give enemas at home. We gave one two Saturdays ago, noticed a bowel
movement that day and the following Tuesday, but that was it.

Another enema followed the next Saturday, and we think he went #2 again
on Tuesday or Wednesday... But now we're back to Saturday again and I
know what that brings.... :)

With these two doses of two medicines every day as well as a soft food
diet - what are we to do???

Help is appreciated... Our two other beasts are healthy and probably
quite happy they're not held down on the bathroom floor once a week!
;)

Thank you,

C&L

JJ
August 5th 06, 10:26 PM
What kind of litter are you using? This is very important.

Hope you are not using clumping silicone clay....if so...switch
immediately...I would recommend a natural litter such as feline Pine
clumping (looks like a bag of sawdust) or even the pellets...could be
that kitty is injesting some of the clay litter when
grooming....Clumping litter can cause problems for some cats - maybe
your kitty is injesting the litter?

What kind of dry food are you using, I really like Nutro Natural
choices -

Us wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are new to this group, and from what we've read it's a great
> forum... Nice to see so many like-minded people!
>
> My Miss worked at a vet clinic until recently and this problem predates
> her leaving - we've never had success with it through the vet and we're
> hoping to find a second opinion here. :)
>
> We have a male, neutered and declawed. 5 years old and king of the
> roost.
>
> Well, hestarted having trouble with #2 a while back. An enema and a
> switch to soft food seemed to solve the problem.
>
> Then he needed another trip to the Doc and that was followed by the
> addition of 2 doses of Lactalose to his diet. Worked for a while.
>
> Then another trip was required... A dose of Cisapride was added to the
> diet twice daily along WITH the Lactalose.
>
> This guy is the envy of the other cats as he munches on MediCal Weight
> Control soft cans to which his medicine is added.
>
> Before my girlfriend finished at the vet, they gave her the materials
> to give enemas at home. We gave one two Saturdays ago, noticed a bowel
> movement that day and the following Tuesday, but that was it.
>
> Another enema followed the next Saturday, and we think he went #2 again
> on Tuesday or Wednesday... But now we're back to Saturday again and I
> know what that brings.... :)
>
> With these two doses of two medicines every day as well as a soft food
> diet - what are we to do???
>
> Help is appreciated... Our two other beasts are healthy and probably
> quite happy they're not held down on the bathroom floor once a week!
> ;)
>
> Thank you,
>
> C&L

Buddy
August 5th 06, 10:38 PM
Using canned food is helpful. Do you groom him? The more hair he
injests, the more constipated he will become. Cats are like people -
some have no constipation and some do. Also, I have great success with
Temptations Treats for Hairballs. Give 5-8 per day and they do the
trick. They come in little foil packs at Pet Smart, etc. and some
grocery stores.

Also some cats just don't go daily. Some may be every other day. But
with canned food, keeping him groomed and giving him daily Temptations
[my cat loves them] you should be constipation free. Let us know.

Us wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are new to this group, and from what we've read it's a great
> forum... Nice to see so many like-minded people!
>
> My Miss worked at a vet clinic until recently and this problem predates
> her leaving - we've never had success with it through the vet and we're
> hoping to find a second opinion here. :)
>
> We have a male, neutered and declawed. 5 years old and king of the
> roost.
>
> Well, hestarted having trouble with #2 a while back. An enema and a
> switch to soft food seemed to solve the problem.
>
> Then he needed another trip to the Doc and that was followed by the
> addition of 2 doses of Lactalose to his diet. Worked for a while.
>
> Then another trip was required... A dose of Cisapride was added to the
> diet twice daily along WITH the Lactalose.
>
> This guy is the envy of the other cats as he munches on MediCal Weight
> Control soft cans to which his medicine is added.
>
> Before my girlfriend finished at the vet, they gave her the materials
> to give enemas at home. We gave one two Saturdays ago, noticed a bowel
> movement that day and the following Tuesday, but that was it.
>
> Another enema followed the next Saturday, and we think he went #2 again
> on Tuesday or Wednesday... But now we're back to Saturday again and I
> know what that brings.... :)
>
> With these two doses of two medicines every day as well as a soft food
> diet - what are we to do???
>
> Help is appreciated... Our two other beasts are healthy and probably
> quite happy they're not held down on the bathroom floor once a week!
> ;)
>
> Thank you,
>
> C&L

---MIKE---
August 5th 06, 11:23 PM
I personally had a constipation problem until I added more fiber to my
diet. Maybe your cat needs more fiber. You might try canned pumpkin if
he will eat it.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Petzl
August 6th 06, 01:17 AM
"Us" > wrote in message
oups.com
[S]
|| With these two doses of two medicines every day as well as a soft
|| food diet - what are we to do???
|| Help is appreciated... Our two other beasts are healthy and probably
|| quite happy they're not held down on the bathroom floor once a week!

*My guess is* a lack of lactobacillus acidophilus (often killed off by
anti-biotic treatment)

I'm told Yakult is not available in USa?
The advantage of using Yakult is that it has hundreds of millions of *live*
bacteria which will instantly replenish the good bacteria which go to work
ensuring that a cat's digestive system is then working efficiently and
effectively. Which means the cat will have a shine on it's number two :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult
This is actually for humans possibly sold under different name in your
supermarket fridge 100 mls (Tablespoon) is more than enough It is cheap
(single bottle/dose under a dollar) but effective and cannot harm your cat,
Will only do good (once done then followed by normal diet with fresh water
available should not need repeating unless your cat or cats start showing
symptoms of bad breath (check teeth) or constipation

Or try home made recipe (next is will cats eat it?)
1. 1 can of evaporated milk
2. can of water
3. 1 small container of plain yogurt, make sure it's an active culture and
use only plain yogurt.
4. 2 egg yokes (not the whites)
5. 1 small jar of strained baby food chicken meat.
Blend this all and refrigerate. It lasts about a week in the refrigerator

An Infomercial about a lactobacillus acidophilus product to give you the
idea
<http://www.wellvet.com/spogogenes.html> Not associated with this product
and there are probably a number of similar types

--
Petzl
--

Ann
August 6th 06, 01:55 AM
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:17:00 +1000, Petzl wrote:

> "Us" > wrote in message
> oups.com
> [S]
> || With these two doses of two medicines every day as well as a soft
> || food diet - what are we to do???
> || Help is appreciated... Our two other beasts are healthy and probably
> || quite happy they're not held down on the bathroom floor once a week!
>
> *My guess is* a lack of lactobacillus acidophilus (often killed off by
> anti-biotic treatment)
>
> I'm told Yakult is not available in USa?
> The advantage of using Yakult is that it has hundreds of millions of *live*
> bacteria which will instantly replenish the good bacteria which go to work
> ensuring that a cat's digestive system is then working efficiently and
> effectively. Which means the cat will have a shine on it's number two :-)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult
> This is actually for humans possibly sold under different name in your
> supermarket fridge 100 mls (Tablespoon) is more than enough It is cheap
> (single bottle/dose under a dollar) but effective and cannot harm your cat,
> Will only do good (once done then followed by normal diet with fresh water
> available should not need repeating unless your cat or cats start showing
> symptoms of bad breath (check teeth) or constipation
>
> Or try home made recipe (next is will cats eat it?)
> 1. 1 can of evaporated milk
> 2. can of water
> 3. 1 small container of plain yogurt, make sure it's an active culture and
> use only plain yogurt.
> 4. 2 egg yokes (not the whites)

It's not safe to use raw eggs in the United States, particularly the
yolks. Even if the shell is intact, there is a risk of salmonella
contamination.

> 5. 1 small jar of strained baby food chicken meat.
> Blend this all and refrigerate. It lasts about a week in the refrigerator
>
> An Infomercial about a lactobacillus acidophilus product to give you the
> idea
> <http://www.wellvet.com/spogogenes.html> Not associated with this product
> and there are probably a number of similar types
>
> --
> Petzl

Petzl
August 6th 06, 02:55 AM
"Ann" > wrote in message

|| On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:17:00 +1000, Petzl wrote:
||| "Us" > wrote in message
||| oups.com
||| [S]
||| *My guess is* a lack of lactobacillus acidophilus (often killed off
||| by anti-biotic treatment)
||| I'm told Yakult is not available in USa?
||| The advantage of using Yakult is that it has hundreds of millions
||| of *live* bacteria which will instantly replenish the good bacteria
||| which go to work ensuring that a cat's digestive system is then
||| working efficiently and effectively. Which means the cat will have
||| a shine on it's number two :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult
||| This is actually for humans possibly sold under different name in
||| your supermarket fridge 100 mls (Tablespoon) is more than enough It
||| is cheap (single bottle/dose under a dollar) but effective and
||| cannot harm your cat, Will only do good (once done then followed by
||| normal diet with fresh water available should not need repeating
||| unless your cat or cats start showing symptoms of bad breath (check
||| teeth) or constipation
||| Or try home made recipe (next is will cats eat it?)
||| 1. 1 can of evaporated milk
||| 2. can of water
||| 3. 1 small container of plain yogurt, make sure it's an active
||| culture and use only plain yogurt.
||| 4. 2 egg yokes (not the whites)
|| It's not safe to use raw eggs in the United States, particularly the
|| yolks. Even if the shell is intact, there is a risk of salmonella
|| contamination.

If this is the case there is something seriously wrong with USa health
administration?
I would only expect this from contact with wild birds. Not fresh eggs from a
domestic supplier (Supermarket)?
For years I have eaten "sushi" dipped in raw VERY fresh eggs

||| 5. 1 small jar of strained baby food chicken meat.
||| Blend this all and refrigerate. It lasts about a week in the
||| refrigerator
||| An Infomercial about a lactobacillus acidophilus product to give
||| you the idea
||| <http://www.wellvet.com/spogogenes.html> Not associated with this
||| product and there are probably a number of similar types
||| --
||| Petzl

Rhonda
August 6th 06, 03:11 AM
Us wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are new to this group, and from what we've read it's a great
> forum... Nice to see so many like-minded people!
>
> My Miss worked at a vet clinic until recently and this problem predates
> her leaving - we've never had success with it through the vet and we're
> hoping to find a second opinion here. :)

Oh boy, we know this problem! We have a former-feral cat (11 years old)
who lives under the bed. She could have had problems for awhile and we
wouldn't have known, since other cats use the box.

She recently stopped going altogether. I saw her struggling in the
litter box. The vet worked with her for just over a week with no luck at
all. We finally went to a surgeon at her suggestion. Sweeter had her
colon removed and is now recovering.

The surgeon said when he sees cats with this problem, many times they
have been struggling for years. The colon can lose its elasticity and
just get huge. It doesn't have the muscle capacity any longer to push
the stuff out and the cat gets mega-colon. (Google cat and maga-colon if
you haven't already, there's some good info on the web.)

With Sweeter's operation, she now has her small intestine doing the work
as best it can. The surgeon said her colon actually tore when he touched
it -- it was so thin. I'm glad we had it done, even though it's not been
an easy ride.

If you've been working with this for awhile without luck, you might take
your cat's x-rays and history to a good surgeon and at least talk about
it. It's not something to take lightly, but neither is a cat in constant
discomfort.

Our vet had us giving Sweeter sub-cu fluids every day until surgery,
trying to flush out some of the toxins building up.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Ann
August 6th 06, 03:43 AM
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 11:55:34 +1000, Petzl wrote:

> || It's not safe to use raw eggs in the United States, particularly the
> || yolks. Even if the shell is intact, there is a risk of salmonella
> || contamination.
>
> If this is the case there is something seriously wrong with USa health
> administration?
> I would only expect this from contact with wild birds. Not fresh eggs from a
> domestic supplier (Supermarket)?

My guess is that the reverse is true. Commercial laying hens are
routinely fed antibiotics which enable some to survive and pass on the
infection, but infected wild birds would likely die.

> For years I have eaten "sushi" dipped in raw VERY fresh eggs

From the U.S. Centers for Disease Control website:
"Salmonella enteritidis Infection
Egg-associated salmonellosis is an important public health problem in the
United States and several European countries. A bacterium, Salmonella
enteritidis, can be inside perfectly normal-appearing eggs, and if the
eggs are eaten raw or undercooked, the bacterium can cause illness. During
the 1980s, illness related to contaminated eggs occurred most frequently
in the northeastern United States, but now illness caused by S.
enteritidis is increasing in other parts of the country as well.
How eggs become contaminated
Unlike eggborne salmonellosis of past decades, the current epidemic is due
to intact and disinfected grade A eggs. Salmonella enteritidis silently
infects the ovaries of healthy appearing hens and contaminates the eggs
before the shells are formed.
.... "
http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DBMD/DISEASEINFO/salment_g.htm

Petzl
August 6th 06, 04:37 AM
"Ann" > wrote in message

||| If this is the case there is something seriously wrong with USa
||| health administration?
||| I would only expect this from contact with wild birds. Not fresh
||| eggs from a domestic supplier (Supermarket)?
|| My guess is that the reverse is true. Commercial laying hens are
|| routinely fed antibiotics which enable some to survive and pass on
|| the infection, but infected wild birds would likely die.

Again and apparently USa only.
Infected commecail birds *outside* USa would immediately be destroyed?

||| For years I have eaten "sushi" dipped in raw VERY fresh eggs

|| From the U.S. Centers for Disease Control website:
|| "Salmonella enteritidis Infection
|| Egg-associated salmonellosis is an important public health problem
|| in the United States and several European countries. A bacterium,
|| Salmonella enteritidis, can be inside perfectly normal-appearing
|| eggs, and if the eggs are eaten raw or undercooked, the bacterium
|| can cause illness. During the 1980s, illness related to contaminated
|| eggs occurred most frequently in the northeastern United States, but
|| now illness caused by S. enteritidis is increasing in other parts of
|| the country as well. ...
|| How eggs become contaminated
|| Unlike eggborne salmonellosis of past decades, the current epidemic
|| is due to intact and disinfected grade A eggs. Salmonella
|| enteritidis silently infects the ovaries of healthy appearing hens
|| and contaminates the eggs before the shells are formed.
|| ... "
|| http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DBMD/DISEASEINFO/salment_g.htm
Which is complete rubbish (caused by the USa not addressing the issues)?
Bird flu is around the corner and the USa "health" centre needs to divert
from pre 1900's to at least 20th century tactics or EVERY citizen in the USa
is about to die or at very least face serious and massive infection/plague
problems

--
Petzl
--
Check your computers security (free)
<http://security.symantec.com>

Ann
August 6th 06, 06:11 AM
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 13:37:19 +1000, Petzl wrote:

> || My guess is that the reverse is true. Commercial laying hens are
> || routinely fed antibiotics which enable some to survive and pass on
> || the infection, but infected wild birds would likely die.
>
> Again and apparently USa only.
> Infected commecail birds *outside* USa would immediately be destroyed?

> || From the U.S. Centers for Disease Control website:
> || "Salmonella enteritidis Infection
> || Egg-associated salmonellosis is an important public health problem
> || in the United States and several European countries. A bacterium,
> || Salmonella enteritidis, can be inside perfectly normal-appearing
> || eggs, and if the eggs are eaten raw or undercooked, the bacterium
> || can cause illness. During the 1980s, illness related to contaminated
> || eggs occurred most frequently in the northeastern United States, but
> || now illness caused by S. enteritidis is increasing in other parts of
> || the country as well. ...
> || How eggs become contaminated
> || Unlike eggborne salmonellosis of past decades, the current epidemic
> || is due to intact and disinfected grade A eggs. Salmonella
> || enteritidis silently infects the ovaries of healthy appearing hens
> || and contaminates the eggs before the shells are formed.
> || ... "
> || http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DBMD/DISEASEINFO/salment_g.htm
> Which is complete rubbish (caused by the USa not addressing the issues)?
> Bird flu is around the corner and the USa "health" centre needs to divert
> from pre 1900's to at least 20th century tactics or EVERY citizen in the USa
> is about to die or at very least face serious and massive infection/plague
> problems

Apples and oranges. H5N1 is a rapidly progressing (to death) infection
affecting large numbers of birds in a commercial flock. The likely means
of control in the U.S. would be destroying the flock. Otoh hens with a
sub-clinical ovarian salmonella infection can/do live to lay the infected
eggs.

Salmonella in eggs is hardly a U.S. only problem; from BBC, 6/15/2006:
"Ban call over salmonella findings
A report which revealed more than 50% of poultry farms in some EU
countries were contaminated with salmonella has sparked calls for a ban on
egg imports.
In the UK, almost 12% were found to have salmonella contamination - the
third lowest in Europe.
...."

> Petzl

jmc
August 6th 06, 07:19 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Us exclaimed (06-Aug-06 5:37 AM):
> Hi,
>
> We are new to this group, and from what we've read it's a great
> forum... Nice to see so many like-minded people!
>
> My Miss worked at a vet clinic until recently and this problem predates
> her leaving - we've never had success with it through the vet and we're
> hoping to find a second opinion here. :)
>
> We have a male, neutered and declawed. 5 years old and king of the
> roost.
>
> Well, hestarted having trouble with #2 a while back. An enema and a
> switch to soft food seemed to solve the problem.
>
> Then he needed another trip to the Doc and that was followed by the
> addition of 2 doses of Lactalose to his diet. Worked for a while.
>
> Then another trip was required... A dose of Cisapride was added to the
> diet twice daily along WITH the Lactalose.
>
> This guy is the envy of the other cats as he munches on MediCal Weight
> Control soft cans to which his medicine is added.
>
> Before my girlfriend finished at the vet, they gave her the materials
> to give enemas at home. We gave one two Saturdays ago, noticed a bowel
> movement that day and the following Tuesday, but that was it.
>
> Another enema followed the next Saturday, and we think he went #2 again
> on Tuesday or Wednesday... But now we're back to Saturday again and I
> know what that brings.... :)
>
> With these two doses of two medicines every day as well as a soft food
> diet - what are we to do???
>
> Help is appreciated... Our two other beasts are healthy and probably
> quite happy they're not held down on the bathroom floor once a week!
> ;)
>
> Thank you,
>
> C&L

Couple of thoughts, our kitty tends towards constipation as well:

1) Make sure he's drinking enough water. Put water bowls in different
places, get a Drinkwell, just get him drinking more. Meep has a
Drinkwell in one room, a water bowl in our bedroom, and another
downstairs near her tree. She drinks from all three. We're using
filtered water, as she doesn't like the taste of tap water. At other
locations, we've had to use bottled water

2) Groom him regularly - every day if you can. If he doesn't regularly
throw up hairballs, all the hair is going out the other end. I'm pretty
sure this is what backs Meep up.

3) If he won't eat pumpkin, try Benefiber. Meep and I both use it -
she gets a very little in her wet at night, doesn't bother her at all,
but does seem to help.

4) Give hairball medicine regularly, or use the treats suggested by
another poster. I can't get the treats where I am, so Meep gets some
hairball stuff every other night.

5) Try a single, higher dose of the laculose. Normally Meep'll get
1ml, but when needed, I'll give her 2ml - only done this once or twice,
but it did the trick each time.

Hope this helps. Even with these measures, Meep still only poos every
2nd or 3rd night, but it's better than she was doing.

jmc

Us
August 6th 06, 08:37 PM
Hi again everyone...

Thank you all very much for the prompt and informative responses... I
have answers to a couple of questions...

- The litter we use is standard Wal-Mart special kitty scoopable and
we've been using the same brand for years.
- The canned food is MediCal Weight Control Soft.
- He does drink a lot, but this summer the climate here has been a lot
drier than last summer (his first summer in this province)
- We groom regularly, but perhaps not regularly enough - that's worth a
try.

Last night I felt about his middle and I could feel the stool inside
his lower belly - this morning I don't feel anything!

So...

We're wondering now if the two meds are changing the colour and
consistency of the stool and maybe we're just missing the occasions
that he does use the litterbox. It's been tricky because he was an
"every day" cat and now perhaps he's a "twice weekly" cat.

Either way - if he goes on strike again we'll step up to fiber but in
the meantime we'll groom more regularly and post a webcam over the
litterbox to see if we can catch him in the act. (JUST KIDDING!!!) :D

Again, thank you everyone! We'll be lurking this list. :)

C&L

bobmarley
August 6th 06, 09:03 PM
Us wrote:

> Either way - if he goes on strike again we'll step up to fiber but in
> the meantime we'll groom more regularly and post a webcam over the
> litterbox to see if we can catch him in the act. (JUST KIDDING!!!) :D

litter box voyer tcht thct

there is a program called "watcher" it turns your web cam into a motion
detector
and only records when there is movement

you can adjust the sensitivity

I set one up for a neighbor, her kids kept stealing from her
she caught them red handed!

I think there's another program called gotcha, it does the same thing

Us
August 7th 06, 12:47 AM
HAHA - her kids were stealing from her? That's harsh! (albeit
funny...)

I guess that's why we have cats. :)

C&L

bobmarley wrote:
> Us wrote:
>
> > Either way - if he goes on strike again we'll step up to fiber but in
> > the meantime we'll groom more regularly and post a webcam over the
> > litterbox to see if we can catch him in the act. (JUST KIDDING!!!) :D
>
> litter box voyer tcht thct
>
> there is a program called "watcher" it turns your web cam into a motion
> detector
> and only records when there is movement
>
> you can adjust the sensitivity
>
> I set one up for a neighbor, her kids kept stealing from her
> she caught them red handed!
>
> I think there's another program called gotcha, it does the same thing

LB
August 7th 06, 04:04 AM
Natural litters such as pine are helpful to avoid clogging digestion
(the cats ingest their litter when cleaning their paws) and mixing some
INDOOR FORMULA food into his food should supply some gentle fiber.

I hope your King finds relief soon, and my best,
LB

Us wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are new to this group, and from what we've read it's a great
> forum... Nice to see so many like-minded people!
>
> My Miss worked at a vet clinic until recently and this problem predates
> her leaving - we've never had success with it through the vet and we're
> hoping to find a second opinion here. :)
>
> We have a male, neutered and declawed. 5 years old and king of the
> roost.
>
> Well, hestarted having trouble with #2 a while back. An enema and a
> switch to soft food seemed to solve the problem.
>
> Then he needed another trip to the Doc and that was followed by the
> addition of 2 doses of Lactalose to his diet. Worked for a while.
>
> Then another trip was required... A dose of Cisapride was added to the
> diet twice daily along WITH the Lactalose.
>
> This guy is the envy of the other cats as he munches on MediCal Weight
> Control soft cans to which his medicine is added.
>
> Before my girlfriend finished at the vet, they gave her the materials
> to give enemas at home. We gave one two Saturdays ago, noticed a bowel
> movement that day and the following Tuesday, but that was it.
>
> Another enema followed the next Saturday, and we think he went #2 again
> on Tuesday or Wednesday... But now we're back to Saturday again and I
> know what that brings.... :)
>
> With these two doses of two medicines every day as well as a soft food
> diet - what are we to do???
>
> Help is appreciated... Our two other beasts are healthy and probably
> quite happy they're not held down on the bathroom floor once a week!
> ;)
>
> Thank you,
>
> C&L

jmc
August 7th 06, 09:29 AM
Suddenly, without warning, bobmarley exclaimed (07-Aug-06 5:33 AM):
> Us wrote:
>
>> Either way - if he goes on strike again we'll step up to fiber but in
>> the meantime we'll groom more regularly and post a webcam over the
>> litterbox to see if we can catch him in the act. (JUST KIDDING!!!) :D
>
> litter box voyer tcht thct

It's been done already: http://www.litterboxcam.com/

Found another one too: http://www.jugglingcats.com/webcam/litterboxcam.htm

The program the other poster was mentioning might be Webcam Watcher
http://www.webcam-watcher.com/, I used to use this but it seems to have
a memory leak and causes problems when used for a long time.

jmc

bobmarley
August 7th 06, 02:21 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, bobmarley exclaimed (07-Aug-06 5:33 AM):

> > litter box voyer tcht thct

> It's been done already: http://www.litterboxcam.com/

is that food bowls out in the middle of the floor?
I guess whatever works, seems like the cats would protest

Rene S.
August 11th 06, 07:53 PM
Us wrote:
> Hi again everyone...
>
> Thank you all very much for the prompt and informative responses... I
> have answers to a couple of questions...
>
> - The litter we use is standard Wal-Mart special kitty scoopable and
> we've been using the same brand for years.
> - The canned food is MediCal Weight Control Soft.
> - He does drink a lot, but this summer the climate here has been a lot
> drier than last summer (his first summer in this province)
> - We groom regularly, but perhaps not regularly enough - that's worth a
> try.
>
> Last night I felt about his middle and I could feel the stool inside
> his lower belly - this morning I don't feel anything!

Another simple thing you can do is mix some water in with his canned
food. Even a teaspoon or two of water is that much more help flush out
his system.

Rhonda
August 12th 06, 05:08 AM
Cheryl wrote:

> And even better and more accepted, some tuna water. My cats love
> the water that's drained from a can of tuna, and if any of them
> were having pooping problems, I would freeze the water from a can
> in ice cube trays, and thaw it out and give it to them regularly. I
> had a cat with megacolon and by the time it was diagnosed, he
> required surgery and I opted to not do it. The prognosis was bad,
> and the missing part of his lower intestines meant poor digestion
> for the rest of his life. I wouldn't do that to him.

Cheryl,

Our cat just had mega-colon surgery and the surgeon and our regular vet
said cat's digestion is not affected, but since the colon is missing the
cat may have diarrhea (the colon draws the water out at the last stage
to form solid feces.) They also said some cats even form more or less
normal stools afterwards, that cats can cope amazingly well.

What did your vet mean by "poor digestion?" Sweeter's surgery is done,
but I'm interested in another opinion.

How is your cat coping with mega-colon without surgery? They worked on
Sweeter for over a week with 3 enemas a day and other awful things, and
nothing worked for her. Even if they could have dug the stuff out, I
couldn't bear the thought of her having these problems for the rest of
her life. As I understand it, once the colon is stretched out enough to
be mega-colon, it probably will never work correctly again. It loses
it's elasticity and ability to push the stuff through.

Rhonda

-L.
August 12th 06, 08:48 AM
Us wrote:
> Hi again everyone...
>
> Thank you all very much for the prompt and informative responses... I
> have answers to a couple of questions...
>
> - The litter we use is standard Wal-Mart special kitty scoopable and
> we've been using the same brand for years.
> - The canned food is MediCal Weight Control Soft.

this is probably part of your problem. A lot of these diets are high
in fiber which can actually be constipating. I would switch him to a
high-protein low-carb canned diet and suplement it with cooked chicken
and turkey (fat included).

-L.

Cheryl
August 18th 06, 03:55 AM
On Sat 12 Aug 2006 12:08:02a, Rhonda wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

> How is your cat coping with mega-colon without surgery? They
> worked on Sweeter for over a week with 3 enemas a day and other
> awful things, and nothing worked for her. Even if they could
> have dug the stuff out, I couldn't bear the thought of her
> having these problems for the rest of her life. As I understand
> it, once the colon is stretched out enough to be mega-colon, it
> probably will never work correctly again. It loses it's
> elasticity and ability to push the stuff through.

Rhonda, I deliberately didn't write during your ordeal with
Sweeter, because Marley wasn't a survivor of megacolon and I didn't
want you to lose hope. And I'm glad to read that she's doing well
post-surgery.

When I wrote "poor digestion" I meant that the surgeon said he'd
have chronic diarrhea.

When given the option of surgery to remove most of his colon to
relieve the megacolon, and the possible side-effects, since it was
an urgent decision to be made (he couldn't ****, so no time to
waste) I decided to have him put down. I think if I knew what I
know now I might have gone forward with the surgery, but what I was
told, it sounded like a horrible life. Please know, this was pre-
Usenet for me. I think I found these groups just as he was getting
bound up.

--
Cheryl

Rhonda
August 18th 06, 04:31 AM
Ah, that's so sad. It was a scary decision for us too, and I'm very glad
the surgeon sounded so confident. He told us that he gets the most
thank-you gifts from owners of cats that have this surgery. That helped
with my attitude about it.

It was a tough road, especially since Sweeter was his first patient to
get a septic infection. She's doing so well now, and is able to get to
the litter box before she cuts loose! She recently had her stitches out
and I asked the vet to examine her throat area, because I could feel
swollen glands. She's on antibiotics again, possibly with a tooth or
some other kind of infection. I hope that's all it is, she's been
through enough. The vet said having a couple of surgeries like that may
have weakened her system enough to let another bacteria, like in her
teeth, get a strong-hold. I'm thankful that she's flopping on her side
and enjoying life though. I guess we never know what's in the future for
these guys.

Thanks for telling me about your cat. I had never even heard of this
problem before Sweeter got sick.

Take care,

Rhonda