PDA

View Full Version : diarrhea problem in cat

Stacia
August 5th 06, 11:21 PM
The biggest problem I'm having with Spam right now is diarrhea. He's
drinking plenty so I think he's hydrated. Since the diarrhea seems to
be related to his new flavor of cat food and the vet didn't seem
concerned about the diarrhea when I called yesterday, I'm really just
worried about Spam being so uncomfortable.
That's my big concern, and of course neither vet is open on the
weekend. Is it true Immodium works? Spam's got renal failure and
cardiomyopathy, should I be concerned about drug interaction? He's on a
special diet, can I go ahead and not feed him for a day to try and stop
the diarrhea?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Stacia

Stacia
August 5th 06, 11:27 PM
(Stacia) writes:

>drinking plenty so I think he's hydrated. Since the diarrhea seems to
>be related to his new flavor of cat food and the vet didn't seem
>concerned about the diarrhea when I called yesterday

I should also note that the vet thinks stress from the recent vet
visit has caused the problem to get worse. The food was giving Spam
soft stools, then the vet visit turned it into full fledged diarrhea.

Stacia

Gail
August 6th 06, 12:08 AM
I would give him boiled chicken and rice. Make sure he has plenty of fresh
water. If it does not clear in a day, see the vet. I also have a "not good
feeling" about your vet. If your vet is unresponsive, get another opinion.
Gail
"Stacia" > wrote in message
> The biggest problem I'm having with Spam right now is diarrhea. He's
> drinking plenty so I think he's hydrated. Since the diarrhea seems to
> be related to his new flavor of cat food and the vet didn't seem
> concerned about the diarrhea when I called yesterday, I'm really just
> worried about Spam being so uncomfortable.
> That's my big concern, and of course neither vet is open on the
> weekend. Is it true Immodium works? Spam's got renal failure and
> cardiomyopathy, should I be concerned about drug interaction? He's on a
> special diet, can I go ahead and not feed him for a day to try and stop
> the diarrhea?
> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> Stacia

Stacia
August 6th 06, 12:42 AM
"Gail" > writes:

>I would give him boiled chicken and rice. Make sure he has plenty of fresh
>water. If it does not clear in a day, see the vet. I also have a "not good
>feeling" about your vet. If your vet is unresponsive, get another opinion.

Well I sprung the problem on the vet during a lengthy phone call so he
might have been distracted. He did say he'd do some tests on the stools
if it continued, but to give it a day or two because it was probably the
stress. I then forgot to ask what I could do to help Spam be more
comfortable, and now I have to wait until Monday.
Thanks for the chicken and rice idea. I've got some ready to make
later this evening and we'll see how it works.

Stacia

Gail
August 6th 06, 01:25 AM
If your cat goes outside, he should be tested for parasites.
Gail
"Stacia" > wrote in message
> "Gail" > writes:
>
>>I would give him boiled chicken and rice. Make sure he has plenty of fresh
>>water. If it does not clear in a day, see the vet. I also have a "not good
>>feeling" about your vet. If your vet is unresponsive, get another opinion.
>
> Well I sprung the problem on the vet during a lengthy phone call so he
> might have been distracted. He did say he'd do some tests on the stools
> if it continued, but to give it a day or two because it was probably the
> stress. I then forgot to ask what I could do to help Spam be more
> comfortable, and now I have to wait until Monday.
> Thanks for the chicken and rice idea. I've got some ready to make
> later this evening and we'll see how it works.
>
> Stacia

Elizabeth Blake
August 6th 06, 01:43 AM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
> The biggest problem I'm having with Spam right now is diarrhea. He's
> drinking plenty so I think he's hydrated. Since the diarrhea seems to
> be related to his new flavor of cat food and the vet didn't seem
> concerned about the diarrhea when I called yesterday, I'm really just
> worried about Spam being so uncomfortable.
> That's my big concern, and of course neither vet is open on the
> weekend. Is it true Immodium works? Spam's got renal failure and
> cardiomyopathy, should I be concerned about drug interaction? He's on a
> special diet, can I go ahead and not feed him for a day to try and stop
> the diarrhea?
> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> Stacia

When I adopted Isaac from a shelter in April, he had diarrhea. He was on
all kinds of medications for that and other things but the diarrhea didn't
clear up. I started giving him plain canned pumpkin in his food and it
fixed the problem. He happened to love the pumpkin, which made it easy.

--
Liz

Christina
August 7th 06, 03:54 AM
I concur with the pumpkin idea; my cat Strasti was having a tough time
eating again following a traumatic seizure along with a stomach virus,
and he refused to eat...I'd hand feed him baby food (turkey & rice,
which is what the kitty ICU would give him, too) and pumpkin, both of
which he'd lap from my fingers. Soon, he was eating again & all of my
cats -- and my mom's cats -- get a tbsp of pumpkin daily. They love
it. I just put in right in the bowl in the middle of their food & they
all inhale it. :)

Good luck to you & Spam. :)

LB
August 7th 06, 03:59 AM
Stacia wrote:
> [...] Since the diarrhea seems to
> be related to his new flavor of cat food [...]
------------------
Many cats react badly to a complete change of food. Most brands
recommend mixing only small parts of a new food into a cat's current
flavor or brand, then adding larger parts as the cats digestive system
becomes accustomed to the new food.

Hope he's better soon, and my best,
LB

Indiacat
August 7th 06, 06:27 PM
Stacia, as mentioned by others, canned Pumpkin works wonderfully in
normalizing kitty stools. It is a great fiber, has vitamins and
minerals and is naturally sweet and easy to freeze left overs in
baggies or containers. My cats (all 4) have been getting pumpkin as
part of their diets for the last 10 years. They are holistic cats and
eat a homemade diet.

You can also try sprinkling in a little Slippery Elm herb. This is an
herb that is available at most health food stores (Great Earth,
Wholefoods, Henry's) and even some Drug Stores like Sav-On's and the
Grocery Store. Slippery Elm comes in a capsule and can be opened and
sprinkled onto or into food - 1/2 a cap is good. It is also sweet. It
acts as a thickener and helps coat the stomach and guts etc. Most cats
like this or at least don't object to it. It is very soothing.

I am not a professional, just someone who loves my cats and has had to
do a ton of research. Most Vets prescribe canned cat food that I
wouldn't serve to anyone. If I won't eat it or serve it to you, then I
won't give it to my cats. I am not intending to be disrespectful. I
hope your kitty gets better. I just created my first blog with more
info on what I have done for my kitty Blanca. I am just a regular
person who needed help but couldn't find any. I want to share info.
Please keep in mind that it is just my opinion. Thanks and good luck!